• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
RTSS is horrible capping this game to 30fps, at in any method that doesn't involve screen tearing.
I find RTSS by just inputting a frame rate limit of 30fps basically never results in good frame pacing. It may work fine as an FPS limiter for g/freesync, but never reduces judder if a game has it with their native cap.

However, the method I find that works far, far better is to click the Scanline Sync header underneath the Framerate Limit until it reads Scanline Sync x/2. Note that this isn't just to be used for cases when you're not running vsync, in also works as a limiter with vsync, either with the game's own vsync, in combination with fast sync or forced vsync through your control panel. I find it produces far, far more stable 30fps in most games when you have to limit it. Input response is also decent.

It's not perfect, in a few games I still have to resort to Nvidia Half Rate refresh with Low Latency mode which works extremely well in providing accurate frame pacing, but I find the input response is worse than RTSS with Scanline sync. Maybe give that setting a shot if you haven't already.

m8faR0y.png

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I find RTSS by just inputting a frame rate limit of 30fps basically never results in good frame pacing. It may work fine as an FPS limiter for g/freesync, but never reduces judder if a game has it with their native cap.

However, the method I find that works far, far better is to click the Scanline Sync header underneath the Framerate Limit until it reads Scanline Sync x/2. Note that this isn't just to be used for cases when you're not running vsync, in also works as a limiter with vsync, either with the game's own vsync, in combination with fast sync or forced vsync through your control panel. I find it produces far, far more stable 30fps in most games when you have to limit it. Input response is also decent.

It's not perfect, in a few games I still have to resort to Nvidia Half Rate refresh with Low Latency mode which works extremely well in providing accurate frame pacing, but I find the input response is worse than RTSS with Scanline sync. Maybe give that setting a shot if you haven't already.

m8faR0y.png
This will come in handy for me, cheers

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

m8faR0y.png

That's an interesting thing I didn't know about. Thx.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

m8faR0y.png

Never seen that setting before, thanks mate. I'll give it ago when I get home tonight.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I've watched the latest DF video and yes, texture must be broken, I can't believe that Ultra settings (so Xbox One textures) requires 6-7GB of VRam... and High textures looks ass already... that's mental...

May 31, 2018
Ohio
Anyone having issues with the snow/mud deformation looking blocky? It happens from time to time, and goes away once you walk over it.

Any way to fix that?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched the latest DF video and yes, texture must be broken, I can't believe that Ultra settings (so Xbox One textures) requires 6-7GB of VRam... and High textures looks ass already... that's mental...

I think the problem is that the textures were designed at ultra to start with because the base consoles had 8GB of ram. So there were no sub Ultra textures to use. Whatever they did to reduce the textures didn't end up looking very well.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got the settings for locked 60 pretty much everywhere, even SD.

i7 8700k @4.9
2080 Ti @ 2.1
32 GB DDR4 @3600

Resolution: 4k
Refresh Rate:60
Vsync: On
Tripple Buffering: On
TQ: Ultra
AF: 16x
LQ: Ultra
GIQ: Ultra
SQ: High
FSQ: High
SSAO: High
RQ: High
MQ: Ultra
WQ: Ultra
VQ: High
PQ: High
TAA: High
FXAA: Off
MSAA: Off
API: Vulkan
UVRR: On
PLQ: High
SS: High
GS: High
LS: High
FRSSAO: Off
W Refra Q: High
W Refle Q: High
WPQ: 3 of 4
RS: 5/6 (x0.834) 1800p
TAA S: 100%
MB: Off
R MSAA: Off
G LOD: 4 of 5
G LOD: 8 of 10
TQ: High
POMQ: Ultra
DQ: High
FQ: High

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I think the problem is that the textures were designed at ultra to start with because the base consoles had 8GB of ram. So there were no sub Ultra textures to use. Whatever they did to reduce the textures didn't end up looking very well.
The game uses VRam for textures, not normal Ram... Xbox One X have something like 8GB of shared Ram... so, again, it makes non sense that on PC textures takes so much VRam with the same amount of quality...

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The game uses VRam for textures, not normal Ram... Xbox One X have something like 8GB of shared Ram... so, again, it makes non sense that on PC textures takes so much VRam with the same amount of quality...

Yeah, shared ram which the devs can split up any way they like, and it seems like they used enough ram for textures that you need a 6GB video card to use ultra textures without issues. So however they down scaled the textures didn't work out.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Still crashing on my 980ti/2600 system. 2070/7700k and 570/1600 systems have no issues with the game now.

Shit, I might have to move some stuff around.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
it's a shame that rockstar releases a port a year later and it's still dogshit

congrats on the beta test, early pc purchasers

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got tired of messing with settings I found acceptable to run at 3440x1440 so I just bought a 16:9 1440p monitor instead...lol.

Anyway, I'm playing cards and every time the guy next to me moves his head closer to the table and then back out I see this vertical line in his head that turns his hair completely black and then it goes back to normal as he moves back out. Anyone know what might be causing this or if it is a setting?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Not really for 'Ultra' settings at least - this is consistent with other titles. Games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dishonored 2, Gears of War 4 need 6GB + cards to run with very high/ultra textures for example, equivalent to the Xbox One X versions when they're running at 4K, and even "Very High" (not Ultra - ultra stutters like mad) textures on Dishonored 2 can still cause some small stutters in Karnaca compared to high, so it's right on the edge. Granted with DH2 I don't know quickly the one X streams - they're also 'very high' on the PS4 but that res only shows up when you don't move for 10 secs. :)

Xbox one X 'only' has 9GB for games yes, but that's purely for the game and can be partitioned any way the dev wants, there's none of that reserved for the OS/cache (that's the other 3gb), and they can also tailor their streaming systems to a T as they have precise control over timing. So I'm not surprised you need 6GB with Ultra, what I'd like to know is if 'High' is at least equivalent to the regular PS4/Pro textures, as if it's lower than that then it makes no sense.

Last edited:

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
So far I have had no issues running with medium to high settings at 1080p/60fps. I have an alienware m15 r1, RTX 2060, 16GB ram, and i7-8750.

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
I have mine at 4/6 of 4k, gives you 1800p and looks beautiful.

Indeed it does!
Alright I think I have the settings I'll be rocking, hopefully Rockstar releases a patch that lets these settings hit a solid 60fps down the line, don't want to give up the visual quality.

Started getting more crashes during benchmarks tho :(

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason I cannot switch to DX12. I've tried deleting the settings.xml file or whatever, but that does nothing. I'm getting stuttering on my i5-4690k and I've read dx12 can maybe fix that instead of running Vulkan. Any possible way to get dx12 to work?

Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason I cannot switch to DX12. I've tried deleting the settings.xml file or whatever, but that does nothing. I'm getting stuttering on my i5-4690k and I've read dx12 can maybe fix that instead of running Vulkan. Any possible way to get dx12 to work?
Are you saying the game won't launch when you set it to DX12 or you actually can't even set it to DX12 in the settings? If the former, join the club as there are a lot of players who cannot launch the game in DX12 mode. Deleting the files in the Settings folder is just a remedy to allow you to get back to the default settings (Vulkan) allowing you to launch/play the game again.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
are you on windows 10?

Yes I am

Are you saying the game won't launch when you set it to DX12 or you actually can't even set it to DX12 in the settings? If the former, join the club as there are a lot of players who cannot launch the game in DX12 mode. Deleting the files in the Settings folder is just a remedy to allow you to get back to the default settings (Vulkan) allowing you to launch/play the game again.

Former. I can get into settings and change it to dx12 but then I get an error asking me to launch in safe mode via rockstar and that does nothing.

PolarisLight

Nov 4, 2017

m8faR0y.png
When I try to use this the game stays on the loading screen forever. I have to toggle it off for the game to load and then turn it back on. Anyone else having this issue?

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
So, weird thing suddenly with the benchmark. I'm getting super fast cloud formation and snow in every scene now. Did they update the benchmark or something?

Oct 27, 2017
Former. I can get into settings and change it to dx12 but then I get an error asking me to launch in safe mode via rockstar and that does nothing.
All you can do currently is this...

Concerning the DX12 switch and not being able to launch the game, deleting everything in the settings folder (Documents/Rockstar Games/Red Dead Redemption 2/Settings...delete everything in here ...it will regenerate when you start the game again but at default settings) will/should allow you to start the game again at the default settings.

...which will restore all default settings (with the main thing being switching back to the Vulkan API). You can adjust them to your liking as you wish. You'll have to wait and see if Rockstar releases a fix for the DX12 issues. Considering they're widespread you would think something is coming but who knows. However, there are a lot of games that have issues running in DX12 so it may be a while or a fix may never come.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
Finally got the settings for locked 60 pretty much everywhere, even SD.

i7 8700k @4.9
2080 Ti @ 2.1
32 GB DDR4 @3600

Resolution: 4k
Refresh Rate:60
Vsync: On
Tripple Buffering: On
AF: 16x
LQ: Ultra
GIQ: Ultra
SQ: High
FSQ: High
SSAO: High
RQ: High
MQ: Ultra
WQ: Ultra
VQ: High
PQ: High
TAA: High
FXAA: Off
MSAA: Off
API: Vulkan
UVRR: On
PLQ: High
SS: High
GS: High
LS: High
FRSSAO: Off
W Refra Q: High
W Refle Q: High
WPQ: 3 of 4
RS: 5/6 (x0.834) 1800p
TAA S: 100%
MB: Off
R MSAA: Off
G LOD: 4 of 5
G LOD: 8 of 10
TQ: High
POMQ: Ultra
DQ: High
FQ: High
This is pretty much what I have come down to with a similar rig. Only exception is resolution scale (0.8) as I am using the GFE sharpening which has quite the performance impact for me. But it also looks noticably better imo.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

m8faR0y.png

How do I get the scan line sync option to show up? There's nothing under fps limit and nothing to scroll to on mine.

EDIT: showed up once I opted into beta. So I just set it to 1 in a 1080p 60hz screen?

Last edited:

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So, weird thing suddenly with the benchmark. I'm getting super fast cloud formation and snow in every scene now. Did they update the benchmark or something?
Are you still in the snowy section in your most recent save game? Your most recent save seems to affect the benchmark, like what Arthur is wearing and weather conditions

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Dude. Duude! I have an i5-4690, 4core-4thread potato.
That solved so much on my rig! Switched to DX12 now and the game finally shows the correct amount of VRAM in the graphics settings menu.
Played for an hour in the camp in chapter 2 (chores) and I had zero stutters! ZERO!

On Vulkan, once my VRAM hit 3500MB, I got steady freezes that lasted 5-10 seconds.
Now, following your tip, I peg 3700-3800MB on my GTX 970 and there are zero freezes. Was impossible on Vulkan. This is insane, yo!
It's gotten so good that I went Fullscreen 2560x1080 with TAA even!! Going back to 21:9 feels really cozy man.
Really envy you folks who can brute-force 60fps at this clarity.

Tried out internal res scaler for fun as well.
Native 2560x1080
ve9C9E.png

2560x1080 at 1.5 res scale
geaBop.png

2560x1080 at 0.5 res scale
4VSC8T.png

Gotta admit, if I squint real hard, the solid 60fps make it kinda work.
With the added bonus of immersion ;)

You're welcome!

Like mentioned in the link, be cautious with this setting as you're disabling a security feature on the game. Sorry, I probably should have included that in my post.
Malware often uses exploits to infect devices and spread. Exploit Protection feature in Windows 10 offer safety against malware by applying mitigation techniques on both the OS processes and on individual apps. If you are certain about the apps you use and would like to add an app as an exception from Exploit Protection of Windows Defender in Windows 10, follow the instructions in the post.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully there's another patch Monday/today and something from NVIDIA if there is an issue on their end.

Last edited:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Not really for 'Ultra' settings at least - this is consistent with other titles. Games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dishonored 2, Gears of War 4 need 6GB + cards to run with very high/ultra textures for example, equivalent to the Xbox One X versions when they're running at 4K, and even "Very High" (not Ultra - ultra stutters like mad) textures on Dishonored 2 can still cause some small stutters in Karnaca compared to high, so it's right on the edge. Granted with DH2 I don't know quickly the one X streams - they're also 'very high' on the PS4 but that res only shows up when you don't move for 10 secs. :)

Xbox one X 'only' has 9GB for games yes, but that's purely for the game and can be partitioned any way the dev wants, there's none of that reserved for the OS/cache (that's the other 3gb), and they can also tailor their streaming systems to a T as they have precise control over timing. So I'm not surprised you need 6GB with Ultra, what I'd like to know is if 'High' is at least equivalent to the regular PS4/Pro textures, as if it's lower than that then it makes no sense.
So how much ram takes the game on PC at 4K and One X details?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
When I try to use this the game stays on the loading screen forever. I have to toggle it off for the game to load and then turn it back on. Anyone else having this issue?
Ugh, that sucks - two other games do that with external frame rate limiters, Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2. Some games tie their internal frame rate to loading somehow, cripes that really makes getting a stable 30fps in this game problematic then.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You click it until it shows x/2, putting a 1 in there will give you half of your native refresh rate.

Yeah I've got that part. Been messing around and I don't get stable frame times at all with this method. Is the FPS limiter above meant to be 0 while using this method? And on/off in the NVCP? Haven't found any combination that can get 30fps with 33.3ms response time.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If I'm using Vulkan does that mean I need to use the GFE overlay to apply sharpening, or can I do it through the Nvidia control panel? I tried the NVCP earlier but it didn't look like it was applying the sharpen filter when I started the game.