• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's this Graphics Tools thing?

I will quote jorimt who originally posted it. So far it has worked for a few of us in this thread, who previously could not run the game in DX12

For it's worth, I found these steps online, and it worked for me (couldn't launch with DX12 previously either):

1. Search "Apps & Features"
2. Click "Optional Features"
3. Click "+ Add a feature"
4. Click "Graphics Tools" > "Install"
5. Relaunch game in DX12

Seems like my system and/or the game was missing some DX12 dependencies (even though my Windows Updates are all installed).

May or may not work in your case, but worth a shot.

Scan Line Sync Guide/Thread, FYI:

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Grass detail 4 of 10????

Game crashed on me again...Patch can't come soon enough for us small percentage of players.

Auto sign in doesn't work for me on RGL for whatever reason?

Last edited:

jorimt

Mar 8, 2018
Is framerate drop in towns due to CPU bottleneck?
Threads usage is not even over 50%.
Depends; when you're framerate is uncapped, does your GPU usage max out in demanding scenes?

Because, while there are exceptions, typically, if you're GPU is being maxed at any point, it usually means your CPU is keeping the GPU sufficiently fed. E.g. no CPU bottleneck, regardless of CPU usage.

Whereas, if there is a CPU bottleneck, you'll usually see lower than expected GPU usage in demanding scenes (and higher than expected CPU usage).

I'm not personally seeing a CPU bottleneck in the game myself; with a 8700k and 1080 Ti (@1440p), my total CPU usage is <40% and my GPU usage is 99% (with uncapped FPS) the majority of the time.

That said, a weaker CPU paired with a more capable GPU can make a game look like it has a CPU bottleneck when it actually doesn't, as the CPU can't keep the GPU sufficiently fed (in this case, regardless of the game).

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I can't even launch the game anymore...

Depends; when you're framerate is uncapped, does your GPU usage max out in demanding scenes?
GPU is always at 99%, but switching from 1080p to 1440p almost doesn't affect framerate at Valentine. It can just barely maintain 25fps.
My CPU is pretty old, a 7yo Xeon quad core, paired with a RX 580 8GB. It's been running fine with FH4 and BL3.

What's your lighting set to? Night time towns are very demanding with High/Ultra lighting as well as Ultra shadows.
Medium lighting + high shadow.

jorimt

Mar 8, 2018
GPU is always at 99%, but switching from 1080p to 1440p almost doesn't affect framerate at Valentine. It can just barely maintain 25fps.
My CPU is pretty old, a 7yo Xeon quad core, paired with a RX 580 8GB. It's been running fine with FH4 and BL3.
Yeah, then it's your system (which doesn't seem to have a significant CPU bottleneck then, if you're GPU is that saturated), not the game (which appears to be more GPU than CPU dependent, especially with the lower-level APIs involved here; DX12/Vulkan).

As for upping your resolution, the more you do, the easier it is on the CPU, and the harder it is on the GPU. So if you're already getting 99% GPU usage at a lower res, raising res in this case won't help.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Oh cool I tried to switch from DX12 to Vulkan and now the game crashes at the shotgun cartridge splash screen.

On DX12 I got regular freezes during gameplay but at least it let me get to the Settings.
ugh

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The patch resets all your settings. Everyone that spent time sorting all of that out will love it.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I still got the odd crash on Vulkan but nowhere near as bad as DX12. And it was utterly random on DX12 and really not connected to gpu or cpu stress. Now have to try with the patch.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
mGPU works on my 2080ti's on Vulkan now officially. Frametime is better in SLI than pre-patch, but performance for me is worse than DX12 or mGPU forced prior to this patch. GPU usage hovers around 30-40% even though clocks are maxed. CPU sits around 30-45ish % used as well.

Flicker is also there still for me on Vulkan with G-Sync + HDR + mGPU.

DX12 has always been more stable than Vulkan for me. Performance on DX12 seems to be the same as pre-patch. Need to play more tonight to see if the game is more "stable" in general.

EDIT: I am forcing V-Sync on Nvidia Control panel, but not in-game.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
They added a new setting for those that think they are getting too many fps, tree tesselation. I was wondeeing why my performance was so much worse after this update and realized it was that setting.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
2VV2hWj.jpg

here we go, Cross fingers!

Oct 27, 2017
Windows Mouse Cursor still remains on screen, thanks for nothing.

Performance seems a bit worse at the moment although given that some of the settings have changed completely (different names, toggles, etc) I might have some set a little too high.

Hope it remains stable though as I've had a much more stable game since switching to DX12 by a long-shot.

About the that mouse cursor though...(please fix this as I haven't had a more annoying bug in a game in some time). It's simply incredibly disorienting and borderline unplayable. The amount of times I've tried to aim with the Windows Mouse Cursor instead of the in-game reticle...

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Used exact same settings as before and noticeably worse performance on my 2080ti. Also my repeatable crash still exists in St Denis. Not happy

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Oh man, I just finished editing my V3 settings video! :(

• Improved the performance rendering some in-game particle effects
  • Improved the performance rendering of trails when in snowy areas of the game

Oh my, has anyone burnt down a camp before? My gosh, no matter what setting I changed, nothing could be done to run the game at 60 fps.
I resorted to setting Particle Quality to low settings, but I've been unable to repeat the same thing to see if the performance improved.

Camp fires eat frames too, I think the Lighting setting helped here to some degree, but no matter what I did they would be a significantly reduce my frame rate.

I can't wait to try the new patch!

Great writeup! I have to try some of these as my current custom settings (mostly a mix of high and ultra, water physics at halfway) settings are somewhere between 40-50 fps at 5120x1440 with a 2080 Ti. My game crashes on both Vulkan and DX12 at the moment so I'm probably going to shelve it in the next few days and leave it pending for patches. Can't get through the mission where Hosea leads you to town to show the horse stable mechanic. Tried an older 440.97 driver too and it did nothing to help the situation so I'm guessing this is on Rockstar's bullshit.

If there ever was a game that could use screenshots depicting the differences between settings and their framerate impact, it's this one.

On another note, I tried the ultrawide fix mod with this game and this would be so much better without the stupid black bars in cutscenes. There is zero reason to have them, it would be more immersive so I suggest everyone to complain about it to Rockstar so they might add a toggle for that.

Thanks!

Hopefully the new patch should improve things for you!

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Doesn't fix anything and actually runs worse. Still get freezes and the game defaulting to borderless every time.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
For the new load balancing to actually function for those who were getting hard stutters due to 4 threads, you need to manually apply the fix.

1. Disable any custom workarounds for this issue, including Process Lasso or BES
  2. Start the Rockstar Games Launcher
  3. Select Settings
  4. Under My installed Games Select Red Dead Redemption 2
  5. Scroll down to Launch arguments
  6. Add the following command

-cpuLoadRebalancing
  7. Select Games
  8. Launch Red Dead Redemption 2

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there's a new advanced setting, tree trunk tesselation.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did the UI get uh, huge for anyone else in certainr respects? Now when you Show info on an animal the text box is huge, at a few others seem larger too. Not sure if this is related to a setting though that might have gotten reset.

Nov 5, 2019
Wow finally... a new patch has fixed my biggest problems especially the inability to change the resolution on Vulkan and huge game crashes on DirectX12 ... so they actually fixed something

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Setting Volumetric Lighting Quality to Medium gives me worse performance than on the Ultra setting. Seeing a good number of settings that really don't change much in performance no matter the setting which wasn't the case before.

Looks like there's a new advanced setting, tree trunk tesselation.

This seemed to give me a 3 FPS hit when having it enabled.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's not new per se just seperated from the main tessellation setting. Before the tessellation setting affected both terrain tessellation and tree tessellation. Now the settings have been separated

If you turn it on your will likely see that this was not the case. Since they broke it out into a separate setting it's a huge performance hit when on as compared to using the ultra tessellation setting before this patch. It's a good 15-20 fps hit on my PC compared to ultra tessellation before this update.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
after playing a bit performance seems about the same on DX12, Vulkan is much smoother without the stutters prevalent before, I would switch over but HDR is broken on Vulkan same as it is on windowed borderless in DX12, fullscreen in DX12 is really only proper HDR display.

The crash I can get with specific settings on ultra outside the saloon by spinning camera at night still happens with DX12 100% repeatable for me. Before it would also happen on Vulkan but now it doesn't happen on vulkan so that is good.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you turn it on your will likely see that this was not the case. Since they broke it out into a separate setting it's a huge performance hit when on as compared to using the ultra tessellation setting before this patch. It's a good 15-20 fps hit on my PC compared to ultra tessellation before this update.
no it is, I specifically went back and checked screenshots I took. No performance impact to me at all compared to before. maybe it was hardware specific issue before, or it was disabling it behind the scenes and now you can see the setting? I don't know but my trees before clearly had the tessellation on.