• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Hardware Unboxed just goes for the most reasonable quality that assures the highest performance while Digital Foundry's settings aim to match the Xbox One X visual quality. So theoretically some of the HU settings are actually below the X1X settings.

HU seemed to start from Ultra and going back from there for the options that either give the greatest performance boost or have least visual impact.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Has anyone noticed this after the patch? I'm almost sure this wasn't happening before yesterday's patch and I'm running the same settings as before.

Notice how the wheel and horse tracks are fading in and out. I've maxed out tessellation, decals, parallax mapping but I can't seem to extend the range in which it fades.

Can someone confirm if this was the same behavior before the patch?

I've not seen that behaviour before. I am of the opinion that the game is more stable with potentially a better frame rate for some but there's been an increase in glitchy-ness and Vulkan seems the worst, for me anyway.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Command line parameter eliminated long freezes, but I swear the performance is worse now. I didn't measure before, but it was way smoother :/

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I'm seeing odd glitches on the ground, post patch, when riding a horse. Black geometric shapes. And the only way I can get decent frame pacing is turning off vsync. Which means occasional tearing. That's fine, but pre patch I had either a beautifully freesynced 50-60fps or a locked maxed out 30fps (image quality was incredible) with perfect frame pacing using the half vsync option.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
lmao, I was hoping for mods to make survival mechanics more punishing but I guess high fps will do just that!

Jun 14, 2019
Has anyone noticed this after the patch? I'm almost sure this wasn't happening before yesterday's patch and I'm running the same settings as before.

Notice how the wheel and horse tracks are fading in and out. I've maxed out tessellation, decals, parallax mapping but I can't seem to extend the range in which it fades.

its new since this patch, noticed it right away and really bugged me out

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Thanks. This is unbelievable. It looks pretty bad even in game mode. Oh well.
That's really odd, because it looks quite nice to most people, myself included. The problem with the updated HDR is that the darkest and brightest points are slightly compressed (possibly to give it that "filmic" look), but that can be resolved with some tweaking. It is slightly more washed out than SDR, but nothing as significant as what you're reporting I'd say.

Here's EvilBoris' video about the updated HDR in case you want to compare:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
As for HDR, I don't have the game yet on PC but I've had several games on PC where HDR was just completely broken (incredibly washed out&bright) and I ended up turning it off because I couldn't be bothered to t roubleshoot. I think there's definitely some win10 or nvidia bug related to hdr that can occur. RDR 2's hdr isn't amazing but in game mode it looks pretty good on the X.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
That's really odd, because it looks quite nice to most people, myself included. The problem with the updated HDR is that the darkest and brightest points are slightly compressed (possibly to give it that "filmic" look), but that can be resolved with some tweaking. It is slightly more washed out than SDR, but nothing as significant as what you're reporting I'd say.

Here's EvilBoris' video about the updated HDR in case you want to compare:

HDR is completely broken for a lot of people.

When I enable it, everything is incredible dark and the colour saturation is completely broken.

Silverstoned

Dec 28, 2017
North California
So it looks like the patch has really improved things for me.

i5 6600k
Strix GTX 1060 6gb

I was having pretty good performance but Id get frequent unpredictable freezes making the game unplayable for more than a few minutes at a time.

This patch has markedly improved performance and got rid of all the CPU spikes and crashes. Last night I played for a solid 3 hours including some multi player too.

Really pleased. While this should have been fixed before release I'm pleasantly surprised with this turnaround.

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017

I've had this since launch.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

yeah, this isn't normal, never seen anything like that on PS4 Pro back then.

As funny it is, I didn't bothered about the weight even on console, you just need to eat too much and regularly for... what? Lose a tiny bit of less health? Not worth your time, move on and never eat, you'll be totally fine.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
As funny it is, I didn't bothered about the weight even on console, you just need to eat too much and regularly for... what? Lose a tiny bit of less health? Not worth your time, move on and never eat, you'll be totally fine.

It's not just the weight that's affected by this.

The Dead Eye Drain metre too and much more.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It's not just the weight that's affected by this.

The Dead Eye Drain metre too and much more.
Ah ok, so less horse health too at that point?
I mean, you have so many tonic and s**t that you end never use (since you just need to eat a thing between hours) that maybe this bug actually make this feature more interesting XD

But yeah, they need to fix it for sure, it's incredible how many developers understimate those changes tied on framerate on PC ports, especially japanese developers.

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
There are some issues I've noticed with both Vulkan and directx 12 that is really annoying. Vulkan will randomly cut my gpu usage in half, if people are noticing low gpu usage in Vulkan, try alt-tabbing out then back in, this fixes it for me. The other problem is the frame pacing when holding shift and I can't stand it. So I tried Dx12 and had a couple crashes at Valentine that I didn't on Vulkan, so it seems less stable. The other problem with Dx12 is my trees get all wobbly and it's very distracting, a video of it is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/ds65eg/trees_glitch_with_video/ both Vulkan and Dx12 are driving me crazy.
Still having the cut GPU usage issue in Vulkan after the latest patch. It doesn't happen in DX12 but the game crashes a ton for me in DX12 unfortunately. I will have to keep alt tabbing until there is hopefully a fix.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm sure it's been brought up but anyone else running internal resolution above 100%, I'm at 150%, notice that lighting effects on character don't cover the whole screen?

The 2/3 of the screen gets proper lighting, but then a slice on the bottom and the right 1/3 of the screen doesn't, so like beards and stuff are noticeable dark. Even Hosea's hair basically turns black.

I've only seen something like this when attempting to increase a games FOV through cheat engine or .ini edits.

Last edited:

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else having issues with 5.1 in this game? The dialogue is often muffled and the positional audio tends to reverse every few minutes.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I've finished the game before Rockstar managed to fix it.

AMA.

On a more serious note, I haven't had any major problems since the last patch stability wise. Let's just hope that they keep patching it.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
So after the patch yesterday I loaded up the game and it took forever. I got impatient and clicked on the screen and it timed out and I had to close it lol. Then I booted it again and just walked away. It eventually loaded in, all my settings went to low but my resolution was fine, so not exactly safe mode. I did all my settings again and loaded into online and it ran like a dream, just perfect and had a very long online play session with a buddy. Neither of our games crashed and we had no problems at all.

The thing is after the patch I did have those initial hiccups. I am concerned that a future updated to fix shit will break my game. The thing that keeps me going though is that it is just such a beautiful game like even after playing online so much I am still constantly blown away by the graphics.

I play on 1440p so I don't have opportunity to see the hdr problems people are having but I do know that even on my ps4 pro hdr sucked. I switched back to Vulkan too. For me the game runs better on that since the Nvidia patch. I also did try out the geforce experience recommended optimization and it was terrible. I followed a video online that was posted here for the best settings.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I updated the game and honestly didn't really see any improvements in the performance... The best I could do was get mostly stable 60 on my 1080 in 1080 but then it would also hitch up constantly while in town.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
The game never does fullscreen for me. Always reverts back to borderless window.

Any useful launch parameters? (apart from fullscreen)

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
The game never does fullscreen for me. Always reverts back to borderless window.

Any useful launch parameters? (apart from fullscreen)
The -fullscreen launch parameter didn't work, it would say full screen in settings but was still borderless.
I am just in the habit of hitting ALT+ENTER after launching to get it in fullscreen each time. extremely frustrating