• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
8600K is fine at 60fps. It is when you try and push high framerates this game engine has issues with no hyperthreading.

There's definitely holding 60fps in Saint Denis. I don't know about the 8600k but a 4.4ghz 6600k can't hold 60fps on any settings with my 2070 Super in Valentine, let alone Saint Denis.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely holding 60fps in Saint Denis. I don't know about the 8600k but a 4.4ghz 6600k can't hold 60fps on any settings with my 2070 Super in Valentine, let alone Saint Denis.

6600k and 8600k are not even that close. The 8600k has 6 core 6 threads and can easily hit 5ghz on all cores.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
6600k and 8600k are not even that close. The 8600k has 6 core 6 threads and can easily hit 5ghz on all cores.
There is so much difference between a stock 8600k and an overclocked one? How many frames of differences are we talking about? 5? 15? 30?
I don't really like to overclock anything but if the gains are gigantic i can at least think about it...

Johnny Cicala

Dec 8, 2017
Not getting stuttering but the flashes happens every few minutes after last patch. Only happened occasionally before that. No idea what it might be. Gonna try some stuff in the settings and see If that helps.

Let me know if you find out anything.

I don't know if it's related, but I noticed that the screensaver won't start after I play the game, I have to restart the PC to make it work.
I should change the screensaver activation time and test if it has an impact on when the flash happens.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is so much difference between a stock 8600k and an overclocked one? How many frames of differences are we talking about? 5? 15? 30?
I don't really like to overclock anything but if the gains are gigantic i can at least think about it...

I think it automatically turbo boosts to 4.3 on 1 core, or 4.1 on all 6 cores. You can download HWInfo to check.

I had the 9600k which is essentially the same thing and I could stably overclock to 5.2ghz on all cores with my Noctua D15 Air Cooler.
So that is about 27% faster than a stock 8600k with all cores boosted.

If you are not planning to OC, you should have just saved money and gone with the 8600. You payed for a binned chip that can be pushed further. Do you have a Z370 motherboard?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I think it automatically turbo boosts to 4.3 on 1 core, or 4.1 on all 6 cores. You can download HWInfo to check.

I had the 9600k which is essentially the same thing and I could stably overclock to 5.2ghz on all cores with my Noctua D15 Air Cooler.
So that is about 27% faster than a stock 8600k with all cores boosted.

If you are not planning to OC, you should have just saved money and gone with the 8600. You payed for a binned chip that can be pushed further. Do you have a Z370 motherboard?
I mean i don't like to overclock but i wanted the door still open for possible future change of idea...

My question is, how many frame you get in general with a 5.0 overclocked cpu compared to a stock one?
I'm not gonna risk the health of the cpu for 5-7 frames more...
Yes i have a z370 mobo and a cpu cooler from noctua to keep everything fresh.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean i don't like to overclock but i wanted the door still open for possible future change of idea...

My question is, how many frame you get in general with a 5.0 overclocked cpu compared to a stock one?

I don't know exact frames. But I am sure you're fine stock for RDR2, anyway. Your CPU isn't going to be a bottleneck at those framerates.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Health of the CPU is not an issue. I've overclocked multiple generations of Intel CPUs and they have ran without issue for 3+ years. You don't have to overclock to the absolute maximum and could start with the easy options offered by most mobos these days, those will give you usually something like 15-20% overclocks.

It's basically free performance with no real drawbacks.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Health of the CPU is not an issue. I've overclocked multiple generations of Intel CPUs and they have ran without issue for 3+ years. You don't have to overclock to the absolute maximum and could start with the easy options offered by most mobos these days, those will give you usually something like 15-20% overclocks.

It's basically free performance with no real drawbacks.
I'm kinda of a noob with these things, do you have some link with a guide for noobs?

Thanks.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's still not decent? Damn, I thought it would be at least ok for the steam release.

Oh well, I guess I can wait some more.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to hold 60fps in towns with any settings and the many crashes I've read in this very page does not look like ok to me.
You must be on different posts per page than me, because nobody has mentioned a crash?

Not being able to hold 60 fps in towns is pretty shit yes, but it isn't game breaking

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
What will give me the best performance between DX12 and Vulkan after all the patches? Will be playing at 1440p with a GTX 1070/4770K.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
So the game is out on Steam - how is the performance for those of you just picking it up? I know it's just the most recent build/patches and not any different than the other storefront's versions, but how is it going in fresh without a months worth of troubleshooting/workarounds?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
So the game is out on Steam - how is the performance for those of you just picking it up? I know it's just the most recent build/patches and not any different than the other storefront's versions, but how is it going in fresh without a months worth of troubleshooting/workarounds?
i7 8700k, rtx 2080

the game runs really well at 1440p, mostly high-ultra. Havent been to big towns tho. Lowest fps I've seen is like 58. Mostly around 75.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i7 8700k, rtx 2080

the game runs really well at 1440p, mostly high-ultra. Havent been to big towns tho. Lowest fps I've seen is like 58. Mostly around 75.

Nice. I'll be jumping in with an i7-6700 and 1080 Ti at 3440x1440. Probably will have to dial a few settings down from yours and hopefully my CPU won't hamstring me but that sounds pretty good.

Edit - you using G Sync?

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Nice. I'll be jumping in with an i7-6700 and 1080 Ti at 3440x1440. Probably will have to dial a few settings down from yours and hopefully my CPU won't hamstring me but that sounds pretty good.

Edit - you using G Sync?
I'm running at 1080Ti at 3440x1440p and I have to drop resolution scaling to stay near 60 FPS on the HU Optimized settings (with some tweaks) and it'll still drop into the 40's if you get in an area with a lot of volumetric.

Anyone else getting crashes when opening the pause menu/map randomly? It seems to have just started happening after the latest patch.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked this up from Steam. What's the consensus on best optimized settings guide? Should I just use Digital Foundry's guide using Xbox One X equivalent settings? I have a 9900k/1080 Ti running @ 1080p. Using Digital Foundry's settings, I'm getting Min 68, Max 146, Average 102 in the built in benchmark.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's type of sharpening is better for this game on TAA high? In game or nvidia freestyle/control panel sharpening? Anyone have some settings to share?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm running at 1080Ti at 3440x1440p and I have to drop resolution scaling to stay near 60 FPS on the HU Optimized settings (with some tweaks) and it'll still drop into the 40's if you get in an area with a lot of volumetric.

Anyone else getting crashes when opening the pause menu/map randomly? It seems to have just started happening after the latest patch.

Do you have G Sync?

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Has anyone else had this happen at the beginning of chapter 2?

So I transition to ch. 2, we are on the wagons with Hosea the the wagon breaks down and you have to put the wheel back on. Everything up till the area has been fine performance wise, locked 60fps, no stuttering.

When I was getting close to the first camp while driving the wagon, all of a sudden the wagon/world or whatever started rubber banding while driving the wagon. Looked like a player in a multiplayer game with a bad connection that would walk forward a few steps then get teleported back a few steps.

Has this happened to anyone else? So the only place it's happened is on the drive to the first camp in Ch. 2, hopefully that is just a glitchy spot.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
What's type of sharpening is better for this game on TAA high? In game or nvidia freestyle/control panel sharpening? Anyone have some settings to share?

depends on what GPU you have as I have a 1070 and I use these settings:

1440p with TAA at high. Control panel at 0.15 and freestyle sharpening at 0%. I also run at resolution scaling at 1.250 so it makes the game look sharp although object further away tend to look a bit blurry

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
depends on what GPU you have as I have a 1070 and I use these settings:

1440p with TAA at high. Control panel at 0.15 and freestyle sharpening at 0%. I also run at resolution scaling at 1.250 so it makes the game look sharp although object further away tend to look a bit blurry
You running at 30? I have a regular 1080 and cant hit a consistent 1440p60. Even lowered me resolution scaling

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Edit - you using G Sync?

Yeah, I'm using gsync. Game feels smooth. With directinput selected in the options, mouse feels really consistent and responsive too.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I posted earlier in this thread That I'm running the game on Ultra settings with high/mid and I get 25-35fps depending on day, area and scenery. 25fps doesn't feel bad with Gsync
I also have gsync so I have have a similar feeling only in the 50-60fps range lol
Maybe I'll try dropping to 30 and cranking settings up? Thats such a big difference though in terms of smoothness that I don't know if I can go back though

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I've been using gsync for what, 4 years now? And I almost exclusively play games above 80 fps if I can. Because as good gsync is, getting used to 165hz just makes 60 or lower fps feel bad. But for some reason in this game even 50 fps feels pretty damn smooth. If I didn't have the fps counter enabled I'd think it was higher.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My game refuses to load if I have a controller connected.
I have to turn the game on with just keyboard and mouse, and then connect the controller inside.

What a weird bug.

Still undecided on 1440p at 60fps or 4K at 30 with a 1080 Ti

From the test I did yesterday with the Xbox One settings I could only get 50ish due the snow at 1440p... But it felt more smooth than what 50 usually is. Felt strange.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, so at 1440p, setting resolution scale to 1.25 does absolute wonders to the IQ. Holy shit.

Now I'm getting mostly 55-60fps with majority of settings on high, but I think it's worth it. Game still feels really smooth, and looks absolutely bonkers.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I feel like there used to be threadmarks for some of the better settings guides on here. Am I wrong?

There's a performance guides section in the OP. I don't use threadmarks as I figure that if people aren't going to bother reading the OP, then they're definitely not going to bother clicking the "Threadmarks" button. ;)

(That wasn't a jab at you, just to be clear.)

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a performance guides section in the OP. I don't use threadmarks as I figure that if people aren't going to bother reading the OP, then they're definitely not going to bother clicking the "Threadmarks" button. ;)

(That wasn't a jab at you, just to be clear.)

Ah no that makes sense. I saw those I just remember a specific post I was trying to find and thought it was threadmarked for some reason. Thanks for clarifying.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so, with the new Nvidia driver sharpen for vulkan now works from the control panel? no need for nvidia inspector?

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
so, with the new Nvidia driver sharpen for vulkan now works from the control panel? no need for nvidia inspector?
Yep, just set it up in the Program Settings tab in Manage 3D Settings. The performance hit is smaller compared to applying the same sharpening filter through the Geforce Experience overlay.

I've been using the default settings (Sharpen 0.50, ignore film grain 0.17) along with the in-game TAA sharpening set to zero and I think it looks great.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I've settled on playing this at locked 50hz. Feels surprisingly good on my plasma and never drops a frame even in Saint Denis.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why it took the shot on this screen when I weren't on it, but I'm finally not CPU bottlenecked! This was in Valentine too.

yyNwisK.png

3700x