• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Seen multiple posts, mostly here on ERA on how the game is ''a good PC port''.

Even if you ignore the game's performance, this will never be a good no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

People were talking about the optimization and scalability, not the crashes and other bugs.
Also, I don't see how "it will never be good" considering that rockstar is constantly patching it.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is there any way to launch this game offline please? Rockstar launcher just doesn't seem to do anything when clicking the play button.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
People were talking about the optimization and scalability, not the crashes and other bugs.
Also, I don't see how "it will never be good" considering that rockstar is constantly patching it.

No.

People were also talking about the quality of the port in general here. I'm not gonna go around to dig for posts to quotes but there's plenty like this,

GTA IV was a bad port. Max Payne 3, GTA V, and now RDR2 are amazing ports.

R* is constnatly patching it, but they also break more shit with each patch along with fixing others. Been like this for a month and I doubt it's gonna change soon.

Is there any way to launch this game offline please? Rockstar launcher just doesn't seem to do anything when clicking the play button.

Yes, but the game requires that you need to be online every 24 hours for reactivation.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Considering the game was straight up freezing on i5s for at least a week after launch anyone saying it was an amazing port were clearly wrong and anyone could see that. Just like in everyone single game on console that has bad performance you'll have random outliers claiming theirs is smooth as butter and never drops a frame.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Even after the last patch it still scales some resolutions incorrectly resulting in a squished view. At least the fucking map now works. Nah scratch that, even the map is still messed up in fullscreen. In borderless window mode both work just fine.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how some people claimed the PC version is ''fine'' when the game launched.

Ever since we get patches that get up to hundreds of fixes.

Goes to show how broken this game is and in what sorry ass state Rockstar decided to let it out.
Yeah, the game was fucked

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem to be crashing for me when I alt/tab out. When did this start happening?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I've been experiencing the alt-tab crash recently in other games after patches too (CoD MW) - if you have an nvidia gpu I'd recommend re-installing drivers and skipping geforce experience. Maybe try borderless window mode too.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
how are 9600k's doing in the game? I'm upgrading cpu/mobo tomorrow. Going from a 2600k, gpu is 2080. I'm debating whether it will be worth it to go with a 9700k. 9900k is too expensive.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
There's a ton of performance complains on reddit after the last patch. This is honestly quite pathetic from a company like Rockstar. One hell of a bait and switch after how good the GTA 5 port was.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game is performing great for me except for connectivity. If I don't connect through vpn, I lose connection at least once every 20 mins. It's frustrating because I have great internet speeds.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
No.

People were also talking about the quality of the port in general here. I'm not gonna go around to dig for posts to quotes but there's plenty like this,

R* is constnatly patching it, but they also break more shit with each patch along with fixing others. Been like this for a month and I doubt it's gonna change soon.

Yes, but the game requires that you need to be online every 24 hours for reactivation.

giphy.gif

But still, the general sentiment was mainly to do with the performance being fine for what is offered, while the other stuff was obvious signs of a bad port. Digitalfoundry debunked the "game is unoptimized trash" narrative pretty early on with multiple videos, and hardware unboxed deep dive into settings also helped. But even these videos pointed out that the crashing issues and other bugs are prelevant.

I don't know about the last patch but every other patch has been a pretty universal imporvement in general, aside from the settings getting reset. The game initially didnt start for a massive chunk of people and had huge freezing issues. Considering its in rockstars best interest to keep the online going, there is no doubt in me that they'll eventually address all the issues.

Personally, no issues after the last patch either, but its obviously anecdotal. I have no problems with alt tabbing and my performance is identical.

Considering the game was straight up freezing on i5s for at least a week after launch anyone saying it was an amazing port were clearly wrong and anyone could see that. Just like in everyone single game on console that has bad performance you'll have random outliers claiming theirs is smooth as butter and never drops a frame.

Right. I forgot about that. Well, yeah, the stalling on 4 thread CPUs was bad. But with that being said, 4 thread CPUs are seriously on the brink of just not being enough for open world games - AC Odyssey is practically impossible to maintain 60 fps with even if you have an older i5 clocked extremely high, they just get choked out. Or Kingdom Come Deliverance, which runs pretty heavily regardless of hardware but you basically need 8 threads at the very least for any chance of stability.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
giphy.gif

But still, the general sentiment was mainly to do with the performance being fine for what is offered, while the other stuff was obvious signs of a bad port. Digitalfoundry debunked the "game is unoptimized trash" narrative pretty early on with multiple videos, and hardware unboxed deep dive into settings also helped. But even these videos pointed out that the crashing issues and other bugs are prelevant.

I don't know about the last patch but every other patch has been a pretty universal imporvement in general, aside from the settings getting reset. The game initially didnt start for a massive chunk of people and had huge freezing issues. Considering its in rockstars best interest to keep the online going, there is no doubt in me that they'll eventually address all the issues.

Personally, no issues after the last patch either, but its obviously anecdotal. I have no problems with alt tabbing and my performance is identical.

Right. I forgot about that. Well, yeah, the stalling on 4 thread CPUs was bad. But with that being said, 4 thread CPUs are seriously on the brink of just not being enough for open world games - AC Odyssey is practically impossible to maintain 60 fps with even if you have an older i5 clocked extremely high, they just get choked out. Or Kingdom Come Deliverance, which runs pretty heavily regardless of hardware but you basically need 8 threads at the very least for any chance of stability.

6600k is definitely struggling with new open world games but there's a difference between topping out at 50fps in towns and a game straight up freezing for 3-4 seconds even when capped to 30fps. Not to mention the game didn't even seem to launch for a lot of people for ages (though that never happened to me). They even had a bug where weight gain/less was tied to frame rate and that just seems extremely amateurish to me.

Just in terms of little minor visual glitches and poor IQ I'll say the 1X version was light years ahead of this in terms of polish. Everyone was surprised that the lead time was so short from the announcement to the release date and now it's fairly obvious the Q/A process for this port wasn't god enough.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
6600k is definitely struggling with new open world games but there's a difference between topping out at 50fps in towns and a game straight up freezing for 3-4 seconds even when capped to 30fps. Not to mention the game didn't even seem to launch for a lot of people for ages (though that never happened to me). They even had a bug where weight gain/less was tied to frame rate and that just seems extremely amateurish to me.

Just in terms of little minor visual glitches and poor IQ I'll say the 1X version was light years ahead of this in terms of polish. Everyone was surprised that the lead time was so short from the announcement to the release date and now it's fairly obvious the Q/A process for this port wasn't god enough.

I agree, that's why I said I forgot about the stalls. I also agree about minor visual glitches, didn't see any of those on consoles - the X1x version generally has a more polished feel. Kinda makes me wonder why rockstar decided to implement TWO low level api's instead of just focusing on Vulkan to make it as good as possible, since it was manditory for Stadia anyway.

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I agree, that's why I said I forgot about the stalls. I also agree about minor visual glitches, didn't see any of those on consoles - the X1x version generally has a more polished feel. Kinda makes me wonder why rockstar decided to implement TWO low level api's instead of just focusing on Vulkan to make it as good as possible, since it was manditory for Stadia anyway.

Most likely Xbox (DX12) vs Playstation (Vulkan). After all the patches both seem to perform pretty much the same but somehow DX12 manages to look sharper to me. I will probably play in that unless I encounter the janky tree animation bug it had.

After playing through the PS4 Pro version with no real issues other than the awful aiming controls, I expected the PC version to be a pretty polished experience from the start. I mean they had a year to build it and everything. But no, it's almost like they took a months old build of the game and tried to patch that to work. The lengthy bug fix lists highlight how bad a mess it was.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wonderful. Now have a hard crash issue upon loading my save file. Crashes with the ERR_GFX_STATE message upon loading the save file.

I have tried the "-ignorepipelinecache" launch argument to no avail.

I can load the benchmark and RDR Online without any issue though, so I think it might be the corrupted save file issue. Even loading to Online and then loading to story has the crash.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Wonderful. Now have a hard crash issue upon loading my save file. Crashes with the ERR_GFX_STATE message upon loading the save file.

I can load the benchmark and RDR Online without any issue though, so I think it might be the corrupted save file issue. Even loading to Online and then loading to story has the crash.

I got that when I changed rendering from Vulcan to DX12 and when I changed back I still got it but it solved itself after a while. Hope you find a solution for the problem soon

Andrea_23

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Are they ever going to fix the scroll wheel zoom speed in the map screen?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I haven't messed with any of the performance improvements in the OP (gonna start messing with them) but after playing like 4 hours and messing around with the settings constantly I'm really unhappy with the performance with a 2080ti and i990k @ 1440p which is my monitor resolution.

The framerate counter says it's generally between 60-80fps but the fps just jumps around like a wild stalllion every millisecond and it'll go 65/58/68/71 in like 1 second of looking straight at a town. Even though it's over 60fps 99% of the time it just doesn't feel smooth and feels stuttery. I've tried doing quick caps at 60fps and it doesn't seem to help, so I'll start messing with the tweaks in the OP.

If I put everything to the lowest it's pretty smooth, but adding in stuff that looks nice (which brings fps to 60-80fps range) just screws it up.

I double dipped coming from the PS4 Pro which I remember looked super soft but framerate was pretty consistent 30fps. This definitely looks better but the lack of consistent framerate is making it less enjoyable than it was on the PS4 Pro :| I'm half tempted to just run maxed out at 30fps since 30fps seems pretty stable on PC. Wish I could get a stable 60fps, that's all I'm asking for.

On thing that bugs me is that even maxed out the game doesn't even look that great to be running like this. Lotta lower res textures and models everywhere. I remember being amazed by GTAV on PC maxed out. Here it just reminds me of a PS4/Xbox One gen game but sharper and little better level of detail.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't messed with any of the performance improvements in the OP (gonna start messing with them) but after playing like 4 hours and messing around with the settings constantly I'm really unhappy with the performance with a 2080ti and i990k @ 1440p which is my monitor resolution.

The framerate counter says it's generally between 60-80fps but the fps just jumps around like a wild stalllion every millisecond and it'll go 65/58/68/71 in like 1 second of looking straight at a town. Even though it's over 60fps 99% of the time it just doesn't feel smooth and feels stuttery. I've tried doing quick caps at 60fps and it doesn't seem to help, so I'll start messing with the tweaks in the OP.

If I put everything to the lowest it's pretty smooth, but adding in stuff that looks nice (which brings fps to 60-80fps range) just screws it up.

I double dipped coming from the PS4 Pro which I remember looked super soft but framerate was pretty consistent 30fps. This definitely looks better but the lack of consistent framerate is making it less enjoyable than it was on the PS4 Pro :| I'm half tempted to just run maxed out at 30fps since 30fps seems pretty stable on PC. Wish I could get a stable 60fps, that's all I'm asking for.

Pro version runs at like 25fps in Saint Denis. Maxing the game out at 4K30 is a decent option if you can't get smooth 60+.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

On thing that bugs me is that even maxed out the game doesn't even look that great to be running like this. Lotta lower res textures and models everywhere. I remember being amazed by GTAV on PC maxed out. Here it just reminds me of a PS4/Xbox One gen game but sharper and little better level of detail.

I've been experimenting with these settings at 1440p with my 1080 Ti, perhaps you could give them a try?
You might be able to increase a few settings higher like Lighting Quality to High with your GPU, I've been using Medium.
Also, maybe you could try capping your frame rate with Rivatuner Statistics Server (included with MSI Afterburner's installation) to 60 if you're bothered by the fluctuations above it.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 144hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: Yes, Triple: Off

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: Medium
Global Illumination Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Far Shadow Quality: High
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Medium
Reflection Quality: Low
Mirror Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Custom
Particle Quality: Medium
Tessellation Quality: High
TAA: Medium, FXAA: On, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Far Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: Ultra
Soft Shadows: High
Grass Shadows: Low
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Off
Water Refraction Quality: High
Water Reflection Quality: High
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 100%
Motion Blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 100%
Grass Level of Detail: 50%
Tree Quality: Medium
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: High
Fur Quality: Medium
Tree Tessellation: Off

Generated on 2019-12-19 10:48 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

Last edited:

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Pro version runs at like 25fps in Saint Denis. Maxing the game out at 4K30 is a decent option if you can't get smooth 60+.

Well, I only made it to Valentine in the PS4 version and that's where I've gotten to in the PC version now. Got distracted when the PS4 was out and then figured might as well wait for the PC version.

4k30fps max settings is definitely workable and may be what I end up playing at. 60fps+ just feels good...if I can keep it smooth.

I've been experimenting with these settings at 1440p with my 1080 Ti, perhaps you could give them a try?
You might be able to increase a few settings higher like Lighting Quality to High with your GPU, I've been using Medium.
Also, maybe you could try capping your frame rate with Rivatuner Statistics Server (included with MSI Afterburner's installation) to 60 if you're bothered by the fluctuations above it.

Thanks, will try your settings. I'd like graphically the game to look at least as good a the Xbox One X version while also keeping 60fps 99.9% of the time.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Also I picked up Control last week at the same time as this and playing Control really makes me feel like something is not right on RDR2.

On Control with ray-tracing on medium at 1440p my fps is between 60-75fps moving around constantly. In motion on a 144hz monitor w/gsync and on tv-out to a 1080p 60hz tv this looks incredibly smooth. Like no stutters or jerkiness, just a really smooth 60fps constant silky gameplay. Looks gorgeous in motion.

On RDR2 on my 1440p 144hz monitor w/gsync and on my 1080p 60hz tv when the framerate is jumping between ~60-75fps it looks smooth for a second, then stutter and jerky and smoooth and jerky and hiccups and smooth and you can just feel the framerate moving all over the place. And this is only at Valentine in the start or Horseshoe Overlook. Even if I mess with the settings so it should always be at least 60fps minimum it still comes across as jerky and not silky smooth?

Maybe I'm just having stutter problems and gonna replace the exe like in the OP and see if that helps. DX12 and Vulkan don't seem to make much of a difference switching between the two.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Really wish I could figure out why Vulkan has randomly decided to stop working for no apparent reason in Story mode.

• It's not the save file, it works fine in DX12, though it performs worse and I get the flickering trees issue.
  • Vulkan works in the Benchmark and RDOnline.
  • I've got a fresh install of the latest drivers (after a DDU Uninstall in Safe Mode)
  • -ignorepipelinecache makes no difference.
  • I've deleted the cache files in settings for Vulkan
  • Disabled shader cache in Nvidia control panel.
Nothing I do seems to work.