Red Dead Redemption II PC performance thread

Nintendo

Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend the Smart Sharp shader for Reshade.

Smart Sharp
A Smart Bilateral Sharpening filter that uses depth to gradually phase out its effect to keep very distant objects from becoming sharp. Because who wants razor-sharp clouds? Birds don't, so why should you.
It's really good! Close objects are nice and sharp while distant objects and the sky/clouds are soft so it isn't distracting like other sharpening filters IMO.

Screenshots at 4K x0.75 render scale with TAA on high and in-game sharpening turned off.

I'm still experimenting with the depth map setting but used the default settings for the screenshots.

Last edited:

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I bought this in a stupor last night and have since been worrying about it
already installed but haven't fired it up yet (steam)

I can still at least try it out for a cpl hours and refund if it runs like shit, yeah? I don't refund on steam often

Liked what I played on ps4 but it's just not real accessible most the time. want an at least decent port on my pc.

6700k/1070
edit:
okay, 2 hours. I spend that much time in the graphics settings of games I know I want
wish it was longer, esp if I have to sit through the tutorial before fiddling with things.
actually, if that's the case I might insta refund. isn't that segment like an hour?
edit2:
fuck it. will complain back
I also have a 1070/6700K combo and get fairly consistent 60fps at 1080p in most areas of the game at a mix of medium to ultra settings. I use the Vulcan API and the optimization settings recommendations from Hardware Unboxed. Some areas with lots of objects and NPCs, like your camp, tend to run around 55fps. For some reason, being near the fire in the camp in chapter 3 would often drop me to around 48fps. The main drag in Strawberry also usually runs in the low 50s. Those are the main performance issues I've noticed after 140+ hours of gameplay. I also encountered the "GFX error" bug a couple times, though running the graphics benchmark fixed that both times. I recommend sticking with it as it's a hell of a game. Nothing really compares for me.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
I also have a 1070/6700K combo and get fairly consistent 60fps at 1080p in most areas of the game at a mix of medium to ultra settings. I use the Vulcan API and the optimization settings recommendations from Hardware Unboxed. Some areas with lots of objects and NPCs, like your camp, tend to run around 55fps. For some reason, being near the fire in the camp in chapter 3 would often drop me to around 48fps. The main drag in Strawberry also usually runs in the low 50s. Those are the main performance issues I've noticed after 140+ hours of gameplay. I also encountered the "GFX error" bug a couple times, though running the graphics benchmark fixed that both times. I recommend sticking with it as it's a hell of a game. Nothing really compares for me.
I kept it and I'm glad I did. Haven't even really felt the need to tweak it much. :)

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, for real this time... I did some more tweaking with the settings and the performance is top notch with this go 'round. Never dips below 60, even at night in St. Denis.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 144hz, Windowed: undefined, Vsync: No, Triple: On

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: High
Global Illumination Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Far Shadow Quality: High
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Ultra
Reflection Quality: High
Mirror Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Custom
Particle Quality: Ultra
Tessellation Quality: Ultra
TAA: Medium, FXAA: Off, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: High
Far Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: High
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: Medium
Soft Shadows: High
Grass Shadows: Medium
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: High
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 100%
Motion Blur: Off
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 60%
Grass Level of Detail: 40%
Tree Quality: High
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: Ultra
Decal Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: High
Tree Tessellation: Off

Generated on 2020-02-06 22:5 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
starting to get really mad here...
can't stop playing the game, but it crashes more and more the further in I get. I am 40.1% progress on my save.

the Valentine bank robbery mission with Bill crashes every time. the actual crash spot varies, but in 10+ attempts, I have not been able to get past cracking two of the safes. i do not know if this is a game issue or PC issue, so it is very infuriating. there is a cutscene earlier that is known to crash the game, and a workaround is to just skip it, but there seems to be no other option here.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017