• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
rdr2sysreqso1ko4.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; 06/11/2019 build[?])
GamersNexus (English; launch build; CPU-focused)
GamersNexus (English; 06/11/2019 build[?]; CPU-focused)
GamersNexus (English; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
Guru3D (English; launch build)
Hardware Unboxed (English; launch build)
Md Ray (CPU-focused)
PC Games Hardware (German; 06/11/2019 build[?])
TechPowerUp (English; launch build)
Techspot (English; launch build)

📊 Performance guides:
Digital Foundry (English; 06/11/2019 build[?])
Digital Foundry - CPU-focused (English; 06/11/2019 build[?])
Game Debate (English; 04/11/2019 build[?])
GamersNexus - Part 1 (English; 06/11/2019 build)
GamersNexus - Part 2 (English; 06/11/2019 build)
PCGamesN (English; 06/11/2019 build)
ThreepQuest64 (English; 06/11/2019 build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Mitigate stuttering (1; DX12): Follow these instructions, replacing Control_DX12.exe with RDR2.exe.
Mitigate stuttering (2): Open Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\system.xml and change the value of asyncComputeEnabled to true. (Credit to ISee.)
Mitigate stuttering (3; for those with <16GB RAM): Prior to launching the game, run Empty Standby List as an administrator. (Credit to Guffers.)
Mitigate stuttering (4; Vulkan): Install the latest drivers for your GPU and the latest Vulkan runtime. (Credit to Shadowbane @ Reddit via Ridebird.)
Fix Rockstar Game Launcher instability (1; for Ryzen-based systems): Install the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. (Credit to laxu.)
Fix Rockstar Game Launcher instability (2): Disable Windows' audio enhancements. (Credit to PorcoLighto.)
Remove black bars when using an ultra-wide resolution: Install the Ultrawide & Multimonitor Fix. (Credit to Rose @ PCGW via Nekrono.)
Fix Windows mouse cursor staying in focus (1): Follow these instructions. (Credit to Sparky_C @ Reddit via iAMr229.)
Fix Windows mouse cursor staying in focus (2; for EGS users): Navigate to [Epic Games Launcher installation directory]\Portal\Extras\Overlay and delete the files (not folders) in the root of the directory. (Credit to kingdom9214 @ Reddit via Cyanity.)
Fix camera stutter after pressing alt/holding shift: Change the mouse input setting to DirectInput. (Credit to furfoot.)
Fix game crashing at launch/when loading Story Mode (1): Set particle quality to Ultra. (Credit to Mecha Meister.)
Fix game crashing at launch/when loading Story Mode (2): Input sysdm.cpl into the Start Menu's run/search field -> click "Settings" under "Performance" -> click the "Advanced" tab -> click "Change" -> tick "Automatically mange paging file size for all drives". (Credit to Deathglobe.)
Note: This is enabled by default and will be disabled only if you've fiddled with it in the past.
Fix game crashing at launch/when loading Story Mode (3): Open Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\system.xml and change the value of API to either kSettingAPI_Vulkan or kSettingAPI_DX12. (Credit to laxu.)
Fix game crashing at launch/when loading Story Mode (4): Load your save from within Red Dead Online, and be sure to overwrite the corrupted saves so you can load them normally going forward. (Credit to Aimlessalpha @ Reddit via RadioActiveLobster.)
Enable Steam Input support: Add Launcher.exe to your library using GloSC rather than Steam's own "Add a non-Steam game" function. (Credit to laxu.)
Fix game crashing at launch when attempting to use DX12: Follow these instructions. (Credit to stopyy1998 @ Reddit via jorimt.)
Re-enable snow glints: Open Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\system.xml and change the value of snowGlints to true. (Credit to Nintendo.)
Fix low terrain surface draw distance: Open Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\system.xml and change the value of deepsurfaceQuality to kSettingLevel_Ultra. (Credit to Lijazos @ Reddit via Nekrono.)
Fix game crashing when launched from Steam: Disconnect any controllers. (Credit to Forceflow.)
Fix asset pop-in: Open Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\system.xml and change the value of pedLodBias and VehicleLodBias to 1.000000. (Credit to skodar @ GTAForums via Andrea_23.)
Fix game crashing with ERR_GFX_STATE error: Set -ignorepipelinecache as a launch argument. (Credit to R* itself via Hadoken.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Output adapter: Self-explanatory
Output monitor: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Screen type: Fullscreen; Windowed; Windowed borderless
Vsync: Off; On; Half
Triple buffering: Off/On
Pause game on focus loss: Off/On
Constrain mouse pointer: Off/On
Quality preset level: Favour performance; Balance; Favour quality; Custom
Texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Anisotropic filtering: Off; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
Lighting quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra

Global illumination quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Far shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Screen-space ambient occlusion: Off; Medium; High; Ultra
Reflection quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Mirror quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Water quality: Low; Medium; High; Custom
Volumetrics quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Custom
Particle quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Tessellation quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
TAA: Off; Medium; High
FXAA: Off/On
MSAA: Off; 2x; 4x; 8x
Advanced settings: Locked/Unlocked

Graphics API: DirectX 12/Vulkan
Near volumetric resolution: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Far volumetric resolution: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Volumetric lighting quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Unlocked volumetric raymarch resolution: Off/On
Particle lighting quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Soft shadows: Off; Medium; High; Ultra
Grass shadows: Low; Medium; High
Long shadows: Off/On
Full resolution screen-space ambient occlusion: Off/On
Water refraction quality: Low; Medium; High
Water reflection quality: Low; Medium; High
Water physics quality: Minimum -> Maximum (no discernible values)
Resolution scale: Off; x0.500; x0.667; x0.750; x0.800; x0.834; x0.875; x0.900; x0.916; x0.933; x0.967; x1.250; x1.500; x1.750; x2.00; x2.500
TAA sharpening: Minimum -> Maximum (no discernible values)

Motion blur: Off/On
Reflection MSAA: Off; 2x; 4x; 8x
Geometry level of detail: Minimum -> Maximum (no discernible values)
Grass level of detail: Minimum -> Maximum (no discernible values)
Tree quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Parallax occlusion mapping quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Decal quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Fur quality: Medium/High
Tree tesselation: Off/On

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'll soon buy a laptop with the following specs:
i7 9750H
RTX 2070
32 GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
1080p 144 Hz screen

What sort of performance can I expect at 1080p?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Another quality PC Performance Thread™️ by JaseC©️ Thanks as always for doing these. Maybe my favorite thing on Reset.

OT: I'm really hoping that there's a resolution slider. And that the HDR grade is issue free.

My 1080Ti and 6700K are (kinda) ready...

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
What the... I can't change the language in the game? It plays in Polish for me, can't see anywhere to change it to English...

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting the launcher issue too. Trying a reinstall

Edit: Reinstall wants me to reinstall the game too! YAAAAAY. You can try scanning for games but it won't find it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
some people are reporting that avast is causing the crashes for them, maybe if you have any sort of antivirus protection installed, try closing it?

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I'm hoping my 4790k and 980ti can get 60FPS at 1440p with some compromises in the graphics settings.

I sold my PS4 copy in anticipation of the PC release. I'll buy when I get an idea of the potential performance, assuming it's good anyway.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does this launcher even prompt you to create a desktop shortcut when it can't even be launched from it?

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I'm rocking a 4790k and GTX 1080. If I can get 60fps and not have the weird control lag that was on console, I'm sold.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Crashes during the opening logo FMVs :(

Edit: Looks like it switches my TV to HDR mode right before the crash. Perhaps something related to HDR is busted?

Dec 15, 2017
Gta v Is still really tough to Max out at 4k for a 2080 ti and that's a ps3 game on steroids. I expect no less from RDR2. The thing is... How scalable can the game be?

Fuck... that StarCraft 2 style core usage... this does not bode well for my fx6300

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Everything on Ultra with TAA.

Oof. Is this at 1440p? I have a similar rig and was thinking of trying this again on PC hoping that M/KB will clean up some of the more clunkier controls that console had which made me not play anymore than an hour of it, but that performance is certainly not helping that decision.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rocking a 4790k and GTX 1080. If I can get 60fps and not have the weird control lag that was on console, I'm sold.
Did you experience lag while aiming or navigating UI menus?

If not, that lag was probably just simulating Arthur's inertia, and was an artistic choice from the devs. I'm guessing that's happing here too.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Game's running in the 40 fps range on the middle balanced preset at 4K with 50% resolution scale on a 1080 Ti. GPU utilization isn't going above 50%.

Also keep getting a bug where I have to quit the game to run the benchmark after changing settings.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on an HDR display? That caused the crashing for me. Start the game in safe mode and disable HDR.
Yep I am. This makes sense, my TV is getting switched into HDR mode right before the crash. This game's HDR mode is just cursed lol

That said, unfortunately the game crashes for me even in safe mode. Maybe i can disable HDR at the OS level and that'll get me in long enough to disable HDR in-game

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Graphics settings menu:
RIP Dictator
I really think Rockstar has figured out the right approach to PC graphical settings. Everything to get a nice looking and performing game is in the default settings and when you want to go the extra mile you take a look at the advanced options. Much better than when that stuff is "hidden" within the default presets where one setting set to ultra can mess up the whole performance for minimal gain.
If I had to guess stay far away from maxing those volumetric settings if you value your FPS.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Just putting it out there, but Nvidia released some more info on trying to play this at 4K. Anything less than an RTX 2080 Ti (and even that) won't be able to run the game at 4K60 FPS at it's highest.

"For 1920x1080, Nvidia recommends an RTX 2060, but if you want to bump the detail level past high, it recommends an RTX 2070 or RTX 2070 Super. The latter will also get you over 60 fps at 2560x1440, too, but Nvidia says you'll need the beefy RTX 2080 Ti if you want to bump the settings up to ultra.
If you want 60 fps at 4K, you'll need to reduce the settings even on a 2080 Ti. To see Red Dead Redemption 2 at its very best, you might just have to stomach a lower framerate. Nvidia also recommends upscaling to 4K from a lower resolution."

My game is still unpacking, so I can't test it yet. Still, that's a bit troubling as Rockstar released their PC specs a while ago and most assumed they'd be fine with that was shown.

IMG_20191104_163821.jpg

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Ay yo anyone with a 2gb amd let me know how it runs

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Getting awful performance on a 1080ti at 1440p on a mix of low, medium and high settings. This is very disappointing. I need a good guide asap to see what I'm doing wrong or how to tweak this.

May 29, 2018
Anyone know where the .ini file is saved? And is there an hdr toggle in the file? I suspect that's why we're getting crashes and black screens

Sgs2008

Mar 25, 2019
Has anyone tried stopping the benchmark and running it again. Doesn't work for me. I have to quit the game to get it tongue again