• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else getting it where the game will go to the menus and everything, but if you try to go to the Story or run the benchmarking tool, that it just does nothing but constantly load?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I literally didn't even know this was out yet. But this launch is a banner example of why people get excited about more powerful consoles next gen vs upgrading their pc, there's always some bs with a pc launch. Hope y'all demand refunds!
How is a shoddy launch sometime unique to PC?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
How do I fix these super random pauses? This is so frustrating! The game just freezes..

Go into task manager -> rdr2.exe -> affinity and then disable one of your CPU cores. I heard downloading an external program that limits your CPU usage to 98% can fix it too. There seems to be an issue where the game just maxed out at 100% usage and that's when it starts hard pausing.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Go into task manager -> rdr2.exe -> affinity and then disable one of your CPU cores. I heard downloading an external program that limits your CPU usage to 98% can fix it too. There seems to be an issue where the game just maxed out at 100% usage and that's when it starts hard pausing.
weird, wouldn't limiting cpu to 98% make the game run worse but still stutter since it thinks its "maxed"?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting artifacting on the bottom screen for both vulkan and dx12. Gpu and cpu aren't overclocked at all. I tried Verifying gameData in the launcher with no success. I guess I'll try reinstalling
I had artifacts in the bottom of the screen until I lower some volumetric settings, also I'm on an older driver (436.51) as latest Nvidia's 441.12 causes issues in Forza Horizon 4 which I'm actively playing.
Maybe latest drivers fixes that.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This is the shit that people are talking about when they say console gaming is easier. This launcher crap is super frustrating.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I really wanted to get this day 1, then I remembered the promise I made myself after the GTA V PC launch and decided to wait till the Steam release.

Looks like not much has changed since.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
This is the shit that people are talking about when they say console gaming is easier. This launcher crap is super frustrating.
Nobody says console gaming isn't easier, but lets be honest, this is an outlier. Plus, it's not like console is free of buggy games and fucked launches.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Messed with a variety of settings nothing really seems to have a dramatic impact on performance for me switching in the high/ultra range, sitting around mid 40s at worst, low 60s at best. Otherwise it runs pretty smooth, no other issues or performance problems.

GPU is definitely my bottleneck which is surprising as that's my up to date piece of hardware. Barely uses any of the RAM of the 1080ti, but load is at 98%. 5820 hasn't gone past 50% and only using 8 gigs of my 16 RAM and that's with Chrome still open with a bunch of tabs.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody says console gaming isn't easier, but lets be honest, this is an outlier. Plus, it's not like console is free of buggy games and fucked launches.

In other threads people try to downplay that consoles are simpler compared to PCs. There are always outliers and the outliers add up.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
LOL Shroud's game crash while playing dominos. R* please

Been playing for 4 hours or so. The best setting at 4K w/ 2080Ti I found was everything medium except texture at ultra and lighting at high. About 60ish fps sometimes higher. Give that a try and see how you like it.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
About 45 fps on the default balanced preset, so i tuned resolution scaling to about 0.80 or 0.75 which gave me pretty good 60fps. Haven't been to saint denis yet however, but the benchmark showed me an avg of 70fps. Been playing for 3 hours now and not noticed any crazy dips.
Thanks for the write up!

Hmmm I think I gonna wait and see what happens when other 1070 folks hit Saint Denis

45 on Medium is probably a better experience than Xbone (I'm very curious to see a comparison), but if the FPS drops get rough in Denis, maybe I'll pass

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Reading this thread brings back Bethesda launcher fuckery flashbacks. Fallout 4, 3 and NV won't play on my machine. FO4 launches in windowed mode no matter how much I fuck around with ini files and fixes, while 3 and NV are stuck in a launcher loop where when you click play it relaunches the launcher so they can't even launch.

What the hell, Rockstar.

Oct 27, 2017
i7 6700k
GTX 1070
67 FPS

It defaulted to a balanced graphics mode. Seems to be a mix of med to ultra on everything except low on shadows. Looks really good. I'll probably increase the shadows to see if that causes any problems.

Last edited:

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
How is a shoddy launch sometime unique to PC?
Any 'game performance thread' will illustrate clearly that while console games also suffer from day 1 problems, it's not nearly the same in scope as PC's due in no small part to the nearly endless combinations of hardware/software. Look I'm a 95% PC gamer but let's not kid ourselves, it's just not comparable.

Nov 5, 2019
Can somebody explain to me why resolution and output screen options are blocked when using a Vulkan. I can't change them but I want the game to appear on my second screen which is 1680x1050...

DX12 is unplayable for me because right after loading the story mode, when I press the ESC button my whole PC freezes. So I have to use Vulkan

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I don't want to mess with any affinity settings so I'll wait for a patch. The pausing is maddening. Is there a verdict on direct x vs Vulcan yet? The game wouldn't boot with direct x for me but I'm wondering if its better?

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can't understand the "shitstorm".

It runs soo good on my 2080ti+6700k.
Waterphsyic to half and volumentric fog to high is most important to set down i think. Rest is more ultra than high, water etc. medium. I'm using DX12.

I'm in chapter 2 now, riding through the nature with 43-50 fps, VRR makes it look smooth.

Looks so much better than on my X1X.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the deal with the CPU freezing at 100% usage? There's no way it should be doing that.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Waterphsyic to half and volumentric fog to high is most important to set down i think. Rest is more ultra than high, water etc. medium. I'm using DX12.

I'm in chapter 2 now, riding through the nature with 43-50 fps, VRR makes it look smooth.

please be trolling

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I saw this in the comments on Nvidia''s recommended specs.

It looks like the game offloads some graphic processing to the CPU, resulting in lag spikes. I can hear my CPU fan changing speed during lags.

nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/red-dead-redemption-2-pc-nvidia-recommended-gpus/

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I have had ZERO issues thus far. I'm still on the previous Nvidia drivers. I'm running a i9-9900k and GTX1080ti @ 1080p with recommended settings. This puts most settings at a mix of high/ultra, with some advanced settings off. It defaults to Vulkan. Seems locked at 60fps, but I only finished the first major shootout at the Driscoll camp. I'm looking forward to performance once the world opens up. I'm expecting worse performance.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Spent a lot of time with RDR2 today, but not sure I can go on.

The game absolutely hits the bricks on my PC in populated areas like Valentine. At first I thought it was my graphics settings so I tinkered endlessly (runs fine out in the wilderness, bar a hiccup or two), but the problem persisted. Eventually I just said "fuck it" and put absolutely everything down to low or off... and it's the same problem.

It's too stuttery to play properly like this, and it doesn't happen in the benchmarks either. Anybody got the same issue?

Specs:

Windows 8.1
GTX 980
i7 5820k @ 3.3ghz
16gb DDR4 ram

The CPU shouldn't be bottle necking it this badly right? So I'm wondering what the problem is.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
I updated my x370 Taichi to a beta bios (5.93 - AGESA 1.0.04B) and I'm able to get passed the launcher. I've been playing for an hour now.

Ryzen 3900x, 64GB ram DDR4 3200, 1080 Ti

kSdmT5j.jpg

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

Your graphics card cost more than my entire computer. It better fucking run so good for that price.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Spent a lot of time with RDR2 today, but not sure I can go on.

The game absolutely hits the bricks on my PC in populated areas like Valentine. At first I thought it was my graphics settings so I tinkered endlessly (runs fine out in the wilderness, bar a hiccup or two), but the problem persisted. Eventually I just said "fuck it" and put absolutely everything down to low or off... and it's the same problem.

It's too stuttery to play properly like this, and it doesn't happen in the benchmarks either. Anybody got the same issue?

Specs:

Windows 8.1
GTX 980
i7 5820k @ 3.3ghz
16gb DDR4 ram

The CPU shouldn't be bottle necking it this badly right? So I'm wondering what the problem is.

Yes my framerate absolutely tanked in Valentine on my 4.4ghz 6600k/2070 Super. It's clearly some issues with CPU utilisation and not about GPU.

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
I had artifacts in the bottom of the screen until I lower some volumetric settings, also I'm on an older driver (436.51) as latest Nvidia's 441.12 causes issues in Forza Horizon 4 which I'm actively playing.
Maybe latest drivers fixes that.
Thank you! I'll give that a try if I still have trouble. I did install the new driver before starting up the game the first time so I can rule that out.

Oct 30, 2017
it's running fine for me on my 6600k/1080 at 1440p except for the hitches in cutscenes or seemingly any scene involving dialogue, which make it pretty much unplayable. there has to be a fix for that soon surely.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Yes my framerate absolutely tanked in Valentine on my 4.4ghz 6600k/2070 Super. It's clearly some issues with CPU utilisation and not about GPU.
Hrm.

Wonder what the over/under is on a patch or workaround emerging. It's basically unplayable otherwise, or at the very least not a pleasant experience.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I got the game to launch on another machine with an i7 2600K and an RX 570. My gosh!

I just ran a benchmark at Medium settings using Vulkan at 1440p with an average of around 40 fps. I can't wait to see how my 1080 Ti will perform!

Last edited:

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I am having a lot of issues launching this game too. It just launches to a black screen with sound. I have to kill it from the task manager and relaunch in safe mode to get it going. But then a lot of the textures don't seem to load correctly, the menus are slow and the graphic settings seem to keep reverting. This is disappointing...

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
So Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution causes a nasty red glare that covers the entire screen, but only at specific times, possibly related to the position of the sun. So best for it to be off.
Apart from that it's going okay. Mixing High and a few Ultra and still getting 75+fps on average. But 4K (not tried yet) might need medium options for 60fps.
No crashes but a handful of stutters.
Did have issues with the clouds at Medium Volumetric toption where they shimmered when I was riding fast on my horse. Changed to High Distant Volumetric and they're better. Hits fps a tad, maybe 5fps.