• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, submitted a refund request yesterday but no response. I'll just get my bank to deal with it then, fuck Rockstar.
I really don't want to refund this but they haven't even acknowledged the more common issues. If I can't get the game to run reliably with Project Lasso or BES then I'll have PayPal refund it, I don't give a fuck if my R* account gets a ban.

I don't even need a consistent 60fps since I have Gsync, I just can't have the goddamn freezing.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't want to refund this but they haven't even acknowledged the more common issues. If I can't get the game to run reliably with Project Lasso or BES then I'll have PayPal refund it, I don't give a fuck if my R* account gets a ban.

I don't even need a consistent 60fps since I have Gsync, I just can't have the goddamn freezing.
i mean, they've been working overtime releasing multiple patches yesterday, and they've constantly updated the troubleshooting page.... while communication would be nice and expected, it's clear they're working on trying to sort shit out.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, G-SYNC doesn't work because the fullscreen isn't actually fullscreen?

Fucking hell

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
TAA really seems to kill texture quality. I tried MSAA but it runs like garbage and causes weird issues with shadows
I noticed that as well. I dialed up the overall graphics slider to max and I think it was manipulating TAA sharpening as well (despite me not "enabling" advanced graphics options), because it definitely improved the fidelity of textures (at least close in; further away textures with lots of lines still end up getting muddled through aggressive TAA application). There's too many jaggies to run with no AA option selected; has anyone experimented with resolution scale as a workaround? I'm sure it's probably more costly than TAA or FXAA, so maybe it's not really an option.

Anyway, I ran through the prologue on ultra settings at 1080P; framerate was dipping under 30 for a lot of that, but not unplayable. Coming from the PS4 Pro version, I actually felt right at home, just with a much sharper image and massive draw distance. But Saint Denis at night absolutely murdered my framerate; felt like I was dropping into the single digits at times. That was the first time the game felt truly unplayable. I need to experiment more with dialing things back to High to get a little bit more performance; I don't really notice 30 FPS in a title like this (as compared to 60), but I definitely notice when it drops into the teens.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Freesync/gsync works fine in the game. "proper exclusive fullscreen" isn't a thing in a lot of modern games, especially UWP ones.

Oct 27, 2017
I have an rtx 2080 (regular) + i5 8600 and set everything to high (kept the advanced graphics locked at balanced for the most part)- been getting a nearly locked 60 through the intro and into chapter 2 at 1440p. Bumping settings up to ultra, I was really hard pressed to see any significant visual difference - I look forward to DF's analysis because I feel a lot of these settings (e.g. Water Physics) are superfluous 'future proofing,' and am curious to see what equivalent console settings are. My hope always was if I could get the game to look about as good as the X (though obviously a lower res) but run at locked 60, that would be ideal.

I know my rig is better than average, but pleasantly surprised with the how great it looks and has been playing. I spent all day yesterday monitoring the thread fearing the worst. Compared to borderlands 3 this runs like a dream!

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
The HDR on this game has always been weirdly desaturated. I don't know what is going on there. I would try setting the HDR to the "Game" mode if it exists on the PC version.
PC version has the same HDR settings as console.

The cinematic HDR preset is mimicing the look of a western film. I actually think it looks alright, boah. It works really well with the games presentation and personally I think the game looks "off" without it.

My TV is set fairly bright though, so that probably balances things out and so YMMV.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
i mean, they've been working overtime releasing multiple patches yesterday, and they've constantly updated the troubleshooting page.... while communication would be nice and expected, it's clear they're working on trying to sort shit out.

That doesn't excuse the condition it's in one year from console release. Some of the issues I have seen reported online (not a comprehensive list)

• Crashes launcher or game on startup.
  • Crashes during gameplay.
  • Game doesn't start and complains about activation or "unexpected game files".
  • Low res textures appearing when on a high texture setting.
  • Stutter/freezing on powerful CPUs. Limiting CPU usage about 3% with BES seems to fix.
  • FPS drops on powerful GPUs.
  • GPU usage low.
  • Pressing shift causes lag.
  • Graphics settings don't apply correctly.
  • Menus running at 2 fps.
  • Cutscenes get pillar AND letterboxed on ultrawide resolutions. A mod fixes this so it's purely some idiocy from Rockstar.
  • Mouse and keyboard controls are weirdly laid out and don't allow for example selecting things with the mouse in inventory.
  • Zooming map on mouse requires furious scrolling.
  • Windows cursor on screen during gameplay.
  • Snow not rendering properly.
  • Map or menus getting cut off.
  • Benchmark crashes game or refuses to run more than once.
  • Audio issues.
A lot of these could have been anticipated and tested as they are so common or should have been caught by QA and fixed by developers before release.

Last edited:

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I know things can take time, and that's fine. I'm giving it basically until the end of my school week and if things haven't been updated at all or anything said that's when I plan to start the refund process.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any benchmarks that measure performance on things other than the ultra preset? That doesn't seem useful if it's indeed intended for future hardware

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
ive legit never saw a bios update fixing peoples issues with launching games before lol

Destiny 2 (aka the rdrand issue that also affected booting linux /w systemd). It was fixed in AGESA 1.0.0.3abb.

It could be the same issue again[0], but that would be catastrophically dumb given how publicized it was, hence I have to believe Rockstar would not be unaware of it, and hence it can't be the same issue. They'd have to be really up their own asses...

[0] I don't think it is.

Last edited:

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised just how many little graphical glitches I've seen in the brief couple hours I've spent with the PC version so far. I sat down to read Arthur's journal for a bit and the page to page transition is broken - as you turn to the next page, it briefly flashes the next page's image onscreen before you've totally flipped the page. Also seen things like NPC clothing freaking out during cutscenes, Arthur sliding around when sitting on his bed or when he's using the cash register during the benchmark, or the transition from object on the ground to object being picked up by Arthur not being completely seamless

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Are people getting the intermittent visual freezing (audio still plays) using DX12? I thought it was only Vulkan that was causing the issue. Vulkan doesn't even let the game load past the splash screens when I try to run the benchmark or start the story mode.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Getting a lot more crashes to desktop recently, making it not all that fun to play as I'm having to repeat large portions of missions that it's crashing halfway through on.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I also had to update my BIOS from 1.0.0.3 ABBA to 1.0.0.4 B to fix the launcher crashing out. I played for around 3 hours yesterday and didn't have any crashes or issues past that though.

Fucking hell
Worked fine for me.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised just how many little graphical glitches I've seen in the brief couple hours I've spent with the PC version so far. I sat down to read Arthur's journal for a bit and the page to page transition is broken - as you turn to the next page, it briefly flashes the next page's image onscreen before you've totally flipped the page. Also seen things like NPC clothing freaking out during cutscenes, Arthur sliding around when sitting on his bed or when he's using the cash register during the benchmark, or the transition from object on the ground to object being picked up by Arthur not being completely seamless
Are you running in DX12 or Vulkan? I noticed a lot of weird glitches with DX12. Not so many with Vulkan.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
The performance thread has more replies in it than the OT. That's all the proof I needed to see this port has issues. A huge part of it might be due to miscommunication. They should have flagged many of the graphical features as experimental or meant for future hardware. But some of the issues, like crashes and launcher problems, are not dismissable as easily. I'm really curious to know what has gone wrong here.

Dec 15, 2017
Hopefully take 2 stock plunges due to this. 3.1 on metacritic and going down. Steam reviews will be negative or more. This is much worse than gta iv. PC gaming was in the gutter in 2008 compared to today. PC ports were an afterthought and today PC is on par with consoles or more when it comes to mindshare.

This PC game feels like a quick cash in made to capitalize on black Friday and x mas sales.They released a broken product with a one year delay and all the manpower and money of the world available...

WB at least released 3 versions of the game on the same day. These folks had a year to deliver a flawless PC game. RDR2 should be pulled from the market.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other users
The performance thread has more replies in it than the OT. That's all the proof I needed to see this port has issues. A huge part of it might be due to miscommunication. They should have flagged many of the graphical features as experimental or meant for future hardware. But some of the issues are not dismissable as easily. I'm really curious to know what has gone wrong here.
What do you mean? The port is flawless! People who have problems simply...
have no idea about what they are talking about.
and
are spewing legit false statements
That's all there is to it.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Let us suffer in misery together, brother.
PLEASE KILL ME

I've seen people recommend limiting the CPU via project lasso on Reddit, I'll be trying it later.

Btw somebody may have found a fix to launch the game, from Reddit:
alrighty folks those who have problems with the launcher can you download this https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/no-gtavlauncher and put it in the rdr2 dir renaming RDR2.exe to GTA5.exe and running the No_GTAVLauncher.exe does the game work for you?

People are reporting that it works

Oct 27, 2017

Fucking hell

I think it does disengage sometimes (e.g. pausing too long or reloading a checkpoint). If you change resolutions back and forth it re-engages. I've randomly unpaused the game after a while and the game feels really stuttery all of a sudden.