• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Thanks for this, quoting for my own personal threadmark to test later.
Resolution scale renders the game at a different resolution and scales it to your native resolution.

Say your monitor is 1920x1080, a 2x resolution scale would typically mean 2x resolution in both axis, resulting in a 3840x2160 internal resolution. A 0.5x resolution scale would typically mean half resolution in both axis, resulting in a 960x540 internal resolution.

It's a way to either get better image quality or reduce the performance demands on your GPU.

Now, in RDR2, I have a suspicion it might only be scaling 1 axis. So a 1920x1080 x2 might be 1920x2160 internally. Not sure on that just yet. Need to wait for confirmation from DigitalFoundry, hopefully.

In any case Rockstar has nailed resolution scaling here. The results are really good considering the performance impact. It's a shame there's no dynamic resolution support.
Do you have any numbers on how much resolution scaling impacts performance? Can it work as a stand-in for the AA options? MSAA is a non-starter and TAA still suffers from blurring textures even with TAA Sharpness enabled. I wasn't even able to get FXAA to load, but I think that was just because of the benchmark bug (not able to run twice without resetting the software completely).

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Anyone having real bad dialogue? I keep hearing characters in word places, seems like the directional audio is off.
When I updated my nvidia drivers it reverted my receiver setup from 5.1 to stereo so I was only getting 2-channel audio despite having a surround setup. You might double-check your sound settings in Windows to make sure they're outputting correctly.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, so there was a post on Reddit that detailed how they fixed the performance for the most part.
I did everything they said and the game is running pretty amazing with very good image quality (save for shadows and reflections).
I'm getting 30-40 fps with highs of 60. It's not ideal, but this is a win for me at least.

No muddy textures or any of that shit, I'm sticking with this until more patches arrive in the future. Consider me content, lol.
giphy.gif
Rocking 45-65 with that

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
2080 - 9700K

1440P - Ultra on most settings. High volumetric, 50% water physics. MSAA off. DX12.

Holding between 50 and 60 FPS most of the time with a few rare drops to 40's. Stays at 60 at times too. Could be worse. Further patches should help.

Last edited:

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
What's the deal with the Lightning and GI settings? What's the sweet spot in those? I can't notice the difference

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any numbers on how much resolution scaling impacts performance? Can it work as a stand-in for the AA options? MSAA is a non-starter and TAA still suffers from blurring textures even with TAA Sharpness enabled. I wasn't even able to get FXAA to load, but I think that was just because of the benchmark bug (not able to run twice without resetting the software completely).

1.5 resolution scale cuts my performance by about 25-30%. But at 1.5 I no longer notice the blurring from the TAA, so it seems worth the tradeoff.

Unfortunately I went back to DX12 due to the CTRL-Shift bug with Vulkan. But DX12 really wants a beefy CPU. My 6700K is starving it a bit, so I get occasional frametime spikes.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
So the game has raw mouse input, it has a slider for mouse acceleration, but even with the correct settings I get mouse acceleration.
If I move the mouse slowly, it won't register anything unless I get it above a certain speed. This makes fine-tuning my aim basically impossible.

The best part is that I can't even change the default mouse sensitivity, if I tough that slider the game crashes when I back out of the menu...

do this and see how it feels after

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Can anyone confirm for sure what the resolution scale would need to be at for 1440p if you downscale from 4k?

My native res is 4k on my kS8000 TV but windows update broke 1440p support on it for games so am having to downscale the res using the slider.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm for sure what the resolution scale would need to be at for 1440p if you downscale from 4k?

My native res is 4k on my kS8000 TV but windows update broke 1440p support on it for games so am having to downscale the res using the slider.

Presumably 2/3 would be the closest to 1440p.

I thought we'd have reached a point where AA at 4K had neglicable impact.

In this game, it makes a huge difference visually.

TAA is an absolute necessity for a game with this much foliage. No getting around that. The distant detail is still sub-pixel even at 4k.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
So the game has raw mouse input, it has a slider for mouse acceleration, but even with the correct settings I get mouse acceleration.
If I move the mouse slowly, it won't register anything unless I get it above a certain speed. This makes fine-tuning my aim basically impossible.

The best part is that I can't even change the default mouse sensitivity, if I tough that slider the game crashes when I back out of the menu...

Odd. I have no mouse acceleration whatsoever. I move my mouse very slowly across my mousepad, and then move it back quickly, and I end up exactly where I started.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Everyone should try disabling TAA just for the laugh, foliage looks hideous without it. No amount of downsampling could make up for it.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Presumably 2/3 would be the closest to 1440p.

It feels like the res scale lacks clear information which is something they could improve on, I know it's nitpicky but I prefer the way something like gears 5 handles it.

Most res scales normally give a percentage and approx res next to the number telling you what it would be rendering at if you know what I mean?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Everyone should try disabling TAA just for the laugh, foliage looks hideous without it. No amount of downsampling could make up for it.
Yeah, I did that and shut down the benchmark after 5 seconds. It is shocking how much AA is needed in a game like this (and a credit to TAA that it's tackling those jaggies with minimal overhead, texture blurring notwithstanding).

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever was in that patch, I'm now getting over 60 fps consistently (NV GeForce Experience recommended at 1440p). 2080 with 6700k at 4.0

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I did that and shut down the benchmark after 5 seconds. It is shocking how much AA is needed in a game like this (and a credit to TAA that it's tackling those jaggies with minimal overhead, texture blurring notwithstanding).

TAA is basically mandatory for games now. The Outer Wilds looks horrible without it too. Horizon 4 doesn't have it and still looks aliased as hell with 8x MSAA. Downsampling is the only real viable alternative but it's expensive as hell and only effective in some games. Sunset Overdrive still looks poor on PC downsampled from 4K back to 1080p.

The blur is manageable now that you can use Nvidia's sharpening filter on almost every game.

My Name is John Marston

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do Rockstar release notes on these? Or are we left guessing and looking for the changes.

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360038342293/RDR2-Title-Update-1-14-Notes-PS4-Xbox-One-PC
[November 6, 2019] General / Miscellaneous – PC
  • Improvements to address issues that resulted in Red Dead Redemption 2 crashing due to Anti-Virus software.

I hate it when devs don't give us full patch notes. No way that's all it does.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like the res scale lacks clear information which is something they could improve on, I know it's nitpicky but I prefer the way something like gears 5 handles it.

Most res scales normally give a percentage and approx res next to the number telling you what it would be rendering at if you know what I mean?

Gears handles resolution better than any game I've seen, considering you can just use a framerate target and let dynamic resolution hit that target. It's pretty amazing.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm not using keyboard, it's possible it has to do with that?

My brain totally made up a narrative about holding the shift key while moving being the trigger for frame pacing issues, which it does a little, but I see you didn't post that. But yeah the game runs smoother after disabling the overlay. There's a lot of amazing detail in things like rain in puddles but its next to outdated assets. Still way nicer than the console version.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Got home and it just updated. No longer have the launcher crash but now it says "the rockstar game services are unavailable and offliline play could not be verified" instead and I still can't even start the game.

Edit: I verified game file integrity and then tried again. It's finally working! Not sure if that fixed it or whatever server issue there was was resolved at the same time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Patch did not fix cutscenes on a 21:9 monitor. There was a fix I found, but it monitors memory and I don't want to get banned from the online.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017

No difference at all, problem persists.

Here's a short vid showing me when I drag the mouse slowly like I would do if I was trying to line up a headshot if I was just aiming right next to someone. Instead of it moving at a steady pace it does nothing and then "catches up" with how far I've moved the mouse and makes a small jump.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I have played about 8 hours on these settings.
Completely locked 60fps at 4k (80% render res) Even in St Denis.
GPU usage usually around 80% up to high 90s. Looks great and way better than the ps4 pro version.
2080ti on water @ 2115mhz
2700x @ 4.2
16GB 3200cl14

8DgQjBp.jpg

oDx21vN.jpg

7tt8c8L.jpg

0KZJeyC.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm almost sure I gained like 10-15 frames after patching and loading back into the same area, but I don't know if something like different weather lightning might be making me think that.

I'm at a point where in the tweaking I'm leaning more and more towards High settings and the fps stays between 70-90 in my 1080ti (1440p). I don't know what's going on, everything was so dreadful yesterday even in low-mid.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like the mouse has a deadzone issue. It definitely felt weird in combat.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an option to turn off the vignetting? It looks bad in almost every outdoor screenshot I see.