• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
Played the game over 6 hours since it was released, every day, today when I tried booting it:
dibpW9v.png

tried 4 times with the same result

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
RE some 1050 Ti discussion that was happening some pages ago.

Balanced preset with medium textures

Stil prone to drop to the mid 20's

28ckl9.png

and looks much worse than the PS4 version to boot:

32bjw3.png

426k6e.png

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

28ckl9.png

32bjw3.png

426k6e.png

And that's only the starting area too.

The game will run a bit worse once you get out into the real world.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

28ckl9.png

32bjw3.png

426k6e.png

Aye, the port is fucked tbh

I'm sure there is future proofing settings, but overall it's fucked

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
Same here. Trying it out in safe mode worked. Although you will have to re-enter all of your desired setting/options all over again!
it doesnt work, same shit when loading, audio cuts 2 times after it finished loading and bam, crash to desktop, wtf happened ? I didnt change a thing since yesterday when i played for like 3 hours

My Name is John Marston

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

28ckl9.png

32bjw3.png

426k6e.png

The first mistake is using a preset. Even balanced presets have unnecessary high settings and changing the preset like that doesn't change all the settings AFAIK. You need to change some advanced settings manually, at least from my testing. I just tried to set to this preset and it set water quality to high. No thanks.

Do the testing yourself or wait for Hardware Unboxed/Digital Foundry/...etc. instead of these rushed videos.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

28ckl9.png

32bjw3.png

426k6e.png

I dont know what you are trying to stir but textures are vram dependent naturally the game will look worse when the vram is sufficient to handle Ultra textures

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

When you run a 3D game with a texture setting much worse than the console version, then yes the game is going to look much worse than the console version. What were you expecting?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Should I even boot up the Rockstar launcher after work tonight? Doesn't seem worth it if the game won't even boot and I'm definitely not trying to get a Trojan

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Was there a patch since yesterday? For some reason, my performance seems to be about 10% higher today.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
FIX for people who get random crashes to desktop when loading the main story, switch the renderer, in my case from VULKAN to DX12 fixed the issue, im still investigation , curious if i can return to VULKAN after the switch without it crashing again on me

I can confirm that the game simply refuses to load with vulkan, only dx12 works

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is base PS4-level. PS4 Pro uses checkerboard rendering to render at 4K, aside from resolution though the graphics settings are identical across both PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Not true. Shadows and LOD, for sure, are significantly better on the Pro and who knows what else. AO maybe? They're definitely not running the same settings.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Its a premature and inconclusive comparison then. Both look like Switch ports.

It's not the first time someone has talked about subpar performance on a 1050 Ti level card though. There's enough people complaining about it to warrant a look. When the DF video comes out we'll have a more professional look at it but until then these are all we have.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're not taking into account how many unique textures in the scene. The quality of a texture is not the whole story.

And are you seriously comparing it to Arkham Knight?

Other, far busier games, have better textures than this game. Even Ultra doesn't look good compared to other, recently released, PC games.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
For anyone with an older CPU and is happy to cap to 30fps this is the only combination of settings I've found that is "smooth" on a 60hz screen:

Force 1/2 refresh rate in NVCP.
Do NOT use RTSS to limit frames.
Vsync on in game.
Triple buffering on in game.

This is the only method I've tried that doesn't either screen tear, have bad frame pacing or randomly stutter when you pan the camera.

Oct 25, 2017
Are us i5 users just out of luck when it comes to stuttering?

Even with all the tinkering and smooth performance, the 3(?) second long stutters are bothersome.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Holy goddamn tits, is this the worst PC launcher of them all? I got an error trying to update the game, and now it seems to resolve it by downloading the entire game again...

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It's not the first time someone has talked about subpar performance on a 1050 Ti level card though. There's enough people complaining about it to warrant a look. When the DF video comes out we'll have a more professional look at it but until then these are all we have.
I'm not talking about the problems people are having and they are not limited to any gpu. I checked a couple pages back and found this

PS4 equivalent settings in this video:

Tip: If you struggle to hit consistent 60fps, change Refresh Rate to "50", then turn Vsync "On".

This looks like an combination of Low, Medium, High settings with textures at Ultra. and i'll repeat, textures are vram dependent as this member also pointed out. The game set to it lowest with Ultra textures looks like this.

Bx8For6.jpg

LOWEST settings at 4K (except textures because they rely on vram and don't affect performance much)
We shouldn't be jumping to conclusions based on crappy youtube screenshots :)

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Are us i5 users just out of luck when it comes to stuttering?

Even with all the tinkering and smooth performance, the 3(?) second long stutters are bothersome.

Since the issue seems to be the CPU running at 100% on all cores loading the GPU enough that the CPU runs at less than 100% seems like a solution. Of course unless they have gsync/freesync that might mean having to cap at 30 fps if judder bothers someone.