• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The 'egregious' comparison was made secondary in my post where I acknowledged medium textures in the first sentence. Other things like foliage, filtering etc are separate from base texture resolution however.

And as a gaming laptop owner, I would hope more developers are friendlier to them too.
How does one compare filtering when the textures are already set to a much lower setting? You're not doing yourself any favor by continuing to put weight in poor, compressed Youtube shots.

Laptop performance is harder to judge because they do not perform 1:1 with desktop parts.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I might be remembering wrong, but I don't recall my PS4 Pro version having as much pop-in as trees have on Medium. After playing around with the settings, I'd wager PS4 Pro is running mostly on High-Ultra. In particular, I feel like shadows were on Ultra. On High, they're noticeably low res in cutscenes.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
I've been using DX12, the stutters are nothing like they were on Vulkan obv but they're still there. Happens every 30-40 minutes or so, sometimes more frequently.
Overall my performance is good, the stutters are the only problem I have now.

All I can think of is that there needs to be a patch for this.

How did R* even managed to run this thing on weak Jaguar cores without the kind of stutters we're seeing on PC with much more powerful CPUs...

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to fix the close up shadows. Dear god that straight line is bugging the hell out of me.

JmhMAnm.png

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Spent some time last night messing around with the aliasing and resolution settings. Turns out there's no real viable alternative to TAA which is a shame because it definitely blurs the image quite a bit even after sharpening.

Downsampling from 4K to 1080p and disabling TAA still looks awful - I don't think it does much at all for the foliage and grass aliasing. Reminds me of Sunset Overdrive where downsampling on its own doesn't to much for the jaggies. The IQ is sharp but the aliasing eveywhere is hideous

MSAA + Transparency AA (in the NVCP) works better but grass aliasing is still a huge problem (and clearly the game has a fuckton of grass). At native 1080p with 4x MSAA and 4x Transparency AA you get a nice sharp image with decent looking trees but the grass still looks bad. Also it has an absolutely massive perfomance hit. On my 2070 Super bumping it up to 8x on Ultra settings tanks my frames to 20fps even at 1080p.

So really TAA is basically mandatory unless you really don't care about grass aliasing.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
thank you, currently at work but ill take a look at the video when i get home. in the meantime can you gimme a quick summary? is 1080p/60 fps possible? im guessing at low?
Locked 60fps isn't possible unless you drop resolution below 1080p. Engaging 50fps cap is the ideal way to go by setting Refresh Rate to 50Hz at console-equivalent settings which is mostly Med with a mix of Low and some High settings with Ultra textures as you'll see in that vid.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Locked 60fps isn't possible unless you drop resolution below 1080p. Engaging 50fps cap is the ideal way to go by setting Refresh Rate to 50Hz at console-equivalent settings which is mostly Med with a mix of Low and some High and Ultra textures as you'll see in that vid.
excellent. thank you!

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
How did R* even managed to run this thing on weak Jaguar cores without the kind of stutters we're seeing on PC with much more powerful CPUs...
By using their low level API to the point where they are actually controlling each instruction that the CPU is computing. This level of low level programming is only possible when a specific CPU is used. In this case, both consoles have exactly the same CPU. The PC version has to account of a much higher overhead to run on a wide array of machines. This overhead requires much more performance. But depending on the level of polish and effort is put in the PC version, they could still make it run very well. It seems that Rockstar either didn't give the PC port team enough time to do it, or that they didn't have enough resources to make it use less performance. Either way, the PC port is in unacceptable state.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Let's pray for the new GoG launcher to save us all..

Unless I'm missing something, about the best we can expect from the GoG 2.0 launcher is a consolidated library for browsing/managing/launching. That won't stop the games from being reliant on their individual launchers for certain services (DRM, cloud saves, auto-update, etc.), even if they're just running in the background. So you'll still be subject to launcher issues like this.

Nov 3, 2017
Other than the ram you and I have the same hardware. Odd that you can't get it to launch. Is your Windows 10 up to date?

So, I read this comment on reddit. The redditor used a wireless headphones instead of using realtek audio driver and it worked.

I used my bose wireless headphones and I'm playing it right now......

QvET7i3.gif

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
You can't make the game look like poop as long as you set it to Ultra textures. Other settings look good even on the lowest setting.

more people need to do this. Put textures on ultra, turn TAA on and aniso on 8x or 16x. And everything else on low. Then check the game out. It will likely run well, and the graphics will be surprisinly good. It will look A LOT like the base console versions, honestly. From thereon, dial in the eye candy/performance balance by switching settings one by one and see how they affect the game. This might take a while but it is aboslutely worth it. It's how I helped my friends to find the right settings for them on lower spec PC's.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
You can't make the game look like poop as long as you set it to Ultra textures. Other settings look good even on the lowest setting.
It's looked like poop with the textures on ultra, but it looks like that's a bug with some of the textures. So hopefully it doesn't happen again/is fixed.

I'll try slowly dialing in the settings. Most of the guides i've read say almost literally anything has very little impact on performance so put it in high or ultra lol.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
I gotta say that Radeon Image Sharpening is a godsend in this game. It restores so much texture detail that is lost by game's TAA. Looks super sharp in 1080p.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, other than the stutters I'm quite lucky in that this performs well for me.

Over 60 most of the time, but it drops in towns when my GPU SLEEPS @ 60 percent usage, going to use the res scale for 1.25x of 1440p, since my 2080 is sleeping a lot tbh, high 80s etc.

Also, I give up trying to play this with mouse and keyboard, feels better with a controller.

And it's a shame they took away text chat, it was handy in GTA V.
I see. How does Vulkan perform for you?
Only tried on release but it was pretty stuttery, I'll retry it.

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
It does says vysnc off and triple buffering off which is odd as I have it enabled, but everything else seems right. I'll just manually adjust that part.
I'm going to check that, could be a parsing error! Thanks for the bug report :)

Edit: Parsing error indeed, updating tool now!

Noticed a couple of hickups with it.

This is what it shows for me, but I have
- Vsync, Triple Buffer ON,
- Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch, Motion Blur OFF
and it says the opposite
Fixed this as well. I am an idiot and was parsing "true" and "false" wrong because javascript :p

Last edited:

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Thanks. I grabbed the 5.93 beta bios for my x370 taichi board and will update it if there isn't a regular bios out by steam release. My copy of assassin's Creed Odyssey has been crashing at startup since the latest update as well and I wonder if it is related to the same thing as rdr2.

ASRock mentioned that they weren't going to release new bios revisions until 1.0.0.4 was finalized, so I bet we see official bios updates start trickling out here pretty quickly.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm still holding up hope they can patch this to get to 60fps on my i5. I mean the 1X version runs at locked 30 most of the time in Saint Denis and that CPU is massively slower than a 6600K. I put everything on low and mine struggles at 45-55fps constantly with some crazy CPU usage spikes even in DX12. In open world gameplay I'm at locked 60fps 24/7 even on ultra at 1080p.

GTAV runs at 60fps with absolute ease and even a poorly optimised area like Novigrad in TW3 is locked 60 for me outside of one random spot.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still holding up hope they can patch this to get to 60fps on my i5. I mean the 1X version runs at locked 30 most of the time in Saint Denis and that CPU is massively slower than a 6600K. I put everything on low and mine struggles at 45-55fps constantly with some crazy CPU usage spikes even in DX12. In open world gameplay I'm at locked 60fps 24/7 even on ultra at 1080p.

GTAV runs at 60fps with absolute ease and even a poorly optimised area like Novigrad in TW3 is locked 60 for me outside of one random spot.
Yeah, CPU only thing letting me down with the stutters and high usage. To be expected I guess, with it being old but meh.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Well, a 5-year old game and a 4-year old game running better than RDR2 isn't exactly surprising, especially when the game looks a generation apart even when not fully maxed.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Well, a 5-year old game and a 4-year old game running better than RDR2 isn't exactly surprising, especially when the game looks a generation apart even when not fully maxed.

Again the X has a much weaker CPU and barely drops frames even if it's only at 30. Maybe Saint Denis looks way better but a tiny town like Valentine still has the same issues. You can't tell me that Valentine at the lowest settings looks more demanding than the middle of Novigrad maxed out (plus a fuckton of mods).

My Name is John Marston

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's looked like poop with the textures on ultra, but it looks like that's a bug with some of the textures. So hopefully it doesn't happen again/is fixed.

I'll try slowly dialing in the settings. Most of the guides i've read say almost literally anything has very little impact on performance so put it in high or ultra lol.

There's a texture loading bug for some people. I heard verifying the files fixes it. Most settings impact performance a lot in scenes where they are prominent. The benchmark tool doesn't show everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Low, Mid and High textures are all bugged for me, verifying files fixed some but not all.
Ultra has some bugged textures too but they're minimal and nowhere near as distracting.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By using their low level API to the point where they are actually controlling each instruction that the CPU is computing. This level of low level programming is only possible when a specific CPU is used. In this case, both consoles have exactly the same CPU. The PC version has to account of a much higher overhead to run on a wide array of machines. This overhead requires much more performance. But depending on the level of polish and effort is put in the PC version, they could still make it run very well. It seems that Rockstar either didn't give the PC port team enough time to do it, or that they didn't have enough resources to make it use less performance. Either way, the PC port is in unacceptable state.

They were working on the PC version alongside the console versions, plus this entire year. I really don't understand how it got to this point.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Hmmm anyone got benchmarks for Ryzen 9 3900X / RTX 2080 Super / 16gb Ram ?

Finally got it working after updating my bios for my motherboard! but it seems to only like Safe mode for the moment and put everything on ultra with window borderless and getting between 48-60fps for 1440p

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Strange issue I keep having is that wagons and horses about 50 feet away will flicker between a kind of yellow/white shade and their normal look. It's really weird

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
If they made TAA less blurry, polished all the visual bugs and overall improved performance with patches that would be incredible. But I can't see them getting into fixing all these little details, at best they'll just try to fix the big stuff like crashes and then make a run for it.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Adding a custom resolution to my game in launcher options stopped the game crashing on the smoking guns logo screen, once I got in I set the res properly and then removed the custom res from launcher, now the game is working perfectly.

Apparently my TV was picking 4096x2160 res by default and that was crashing the game, figured it out by pressing my TV remote and it showed me the res in the top right, GTA V had this very same issue so apparently Rockstar don't know how to map native res as default on startup.

Anyway, for anybody wondering, I am using a 1080ti and 3970x, played for an hour and had solid 30 fps at 4k (5/6 resolution scale) with everything set to ultra (using TAA only at medium with no other AA solution) and water physics one notch down from max.

Using Vulkan and also turned off Vsync and Triple buffering via the game and enabled it via Nvidia control panel and then used Rivatuner to cap the game at 30.

Smooth 30fps (if there is such a thing) with the graphics pretty much maxed out at near 4k res, will stick with this now I think.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
If they made TAA less blurry, polished all the visual bugs and overall improved performance with patches that would be incredible. But I can't see them getting into fixing all these little details, at best they'll just try to fix the big stuff like crashes and then make a run for it.

In addition to the in-game Sharpness toggle, you can add extra sharpness through the Nvidia control panel too.

I experimented with it on Borderlands 3 recently and it worked shockingly well. BL3 is another game where the TAA at 1080p makes the game look very soft.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
In addition to the in-game Sharpness toggle, you can add extra sharpness through the Nvidia control panel too.

I experimented with it on Borderlands 3 recently and it worked shockingly well. BL3 is another game where the TAA at 1080p makes the game look very soft.

Only problem with Nvidia sharpening is that it incurs a 3-5 fps hit and in this game every frame counts, that sharpening took me from a solid 30 to 26 fps, shame though because it does make things look much sharper.

Btw, what setting do you usually use for Nvidia sharpening? I never know what to set it at.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Only problem with Nvidia sharpening is that it incurs a 3-5 fps hit and in this game every frame counts, that sharpening took me from a solid 30 to 26 fps, shame though because it does make things look much sharper.

Btw, what setting do you usually use for Nvidia sharpening? I never know what to set it at.
Is it the same if you add Sharpness via the GeForce experience instead of the Panel ?

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
16gb ram
2080ti
Windows 10
i78700k 3.70

I don't understand what has gone so wrong with this game's launch, I initially thought it was an AMD problem as BIOS updates have been fixing the game's launching issues for those running Ryzen processors, but I've seen that some Intel builds are having the same issue. I hope this gets fixed soon.

I'm guessing you've already done the usual fixes like excluding the game from your anti-virus etc? I fought for hours and got nowhere until the BIOS update.

So, I read this comment on reddit. The redditor used a wireless headphones instead of using realtek audio driver and it worked.

I used my bose wireless headphones and I'm playing it right now......

QvET7i3.gif

LMAO what the f? I'm glad the game works for you now!

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If the game crashes when loading into Story Mode, it could be due to the Particle Quality setting.
I've found that the game would crash on my system when loading into Story Mode using Vulkan if the Particle Quality setting is set to Ultra. As a result of this I have been running it on High.

hdHr4FY.png

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh just started getting some stuttering randomly. Good thing I'm done playing until I finish Death Stranding, hopefully by then it'll by mostly fixed

Nov 3, 2017
I don't understand what has gone so wrong with this game's launch, I initially thought it was an AMD problem as BIOS updates have been fixing the game's launching issues for those running Ryzen processors, but I've seen that some Intel builds are having the same issue. I hope this gets fixed soon.
I haven't seen anything quite like this before, this appears to be a somewhat large scale issue.

I'm guessing you've already done the usual fixes like excluding the game from your anti-virus etc? I fought for hours and got nowhere until the BIOS update.

If the game crashes when loading into Story Mode, it could be due to the Particle Quality setting.
I've found that the game would crash on my system when loading into Story Mode using Vulkan if the Particle Quality setting is set to Ultra. As a result of this I have been running it on High.

hdHr4FY.png

Haven't changed much of the settings including disabling the anti-virus. It's just I've settled with a wireless headphones instead of the realtek audio driver

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Well that sucks.

I didn't realize the sharpness would cost that much noticeable performance dips. I thought it would be a 'free' setting like anisotropic filtering can be.

That's what I thought as well :(, I even checked on YouTube and watched two videos with it on and off and it seems to be pretty consistent 3-5 frames in terms of fps hit, maybe they will refine it? I hope so because it does do a good job I must say.