• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 1, 2018
Upland
i7 6700 (non k) and an rtx 2060. whats the damage looking like era? can I get 60 fps at 1080p?

Should be good, just have to set your settings accordingly. There's plenty of resources around this thread, but if need more help just holler.

In comparison I have a friend with an i7-4790k and a 1080, he's playing at 1440p and has adjusted it so it's above 60fps and looks fantastic!

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody on ASUS TUF motherboards experiencing crashes after flashing their BIOS to the latest version? I really hate the risk of flashing BIOS, but if it'll let me play longer than 30-45 minutes, I'll do it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
People claiming they're getting 60fps should clarify if they're still getting that much in towns like Valentine, Strawberry and Saint Denis.

Nov 3, 2017
That is so weird! I'm glad you have it working now!

XcnPBi4.gif

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
Finally figured out wtf was happening on my system. Game won't run on DirectX 12 after the last patch for some reason, can't even get the benchmark to load. Swap to Vulkan and it starts up no problem.

I'm on a GTX 970, which is pretty damn old, so I was planning on using DX12 for this game. It seems crazy that's what the issue was.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
People claiming they're getting 60fps should clarify if they're still getting that much in towns like Valentine, Strawberry and Saint Denis.

I'm uploading a video with settings that I have manually adjusted one by one and have found to perform well so far with my Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1080 Ti.
I've been to Valentine and went to river on the outside of it to see how the performance hold up there too. I will be heading to other places in my next video!

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Only problem with Nvidia sharpening is that it incurs a 3-5 fps hit and in this game every frame counts, that sharpening took me from a solid 30 to 26 fps, shame though because it does make things look much sharper.

Btw, what setting do you usually use for Nvidia sharpening? I never know what to set it at.

Even at 0% I found it add slightly too much sharpening in this game. Odd, because I haven't experience that in other games. Though, RDR2 just has so much detail in distant foliage, so that might just be it.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
thanks.

do you think they can solve the cpu problem with a patch??

They definitely can. I assume they will since it's quite widespread, but I wouldn't make any promises at this point. If you're worried, I would err on the side of caution and wait until a patch or the Steam release (so that you can refund if there are any issues).

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
They definitely can. I assume they will since it's quite widespread, but I wouldn't make any promises at this point. If you're worried, I would err on the side of caution and wait until a patch or the Steam release (so that you can refund if there are any issues).
steam release is my plan to go.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is this GTAIV PC all over again?

Nah, that game ran like shit for years even with lowered settings. I'd say it's more of a Ubisoft PC launch circa 2013ish when they had all their PC ports done by their Russian studios that had issues but were still mostly playable.

None of them made me update by BIOS though.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Only problem with Nvidia sharpening is that it incurs a 3-5 fps hit and in this game every frame counts, that sharpening took me from a solid 30 to 26 fps, shame though because it does make things look much sharper.

Btw, what setting do you usually use for Nvidia sharpening? I never know what to set it at.
Thanks for the info I wasn't aware of that.

I activated it through NCP but had to turn it way down from 0.50 to around 0.20 since the sharpening was too aggressive, knowing about the FPS cost I'll just turn it off, I need all the frames I can get!

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got Vulkan to work had to turn on pagefile in virutal memory lol not only did that improve my fps but now the game seems to boot full screen instead of windowed

Dec 15, 2017
Gta iv was one heck of a game that still looks decent today and had more advanced physics and ai than gta v for example. Plus nyc looks great with all the population and traffic sliders maxed out.

It just was CPU bound and that made it hard to get steady 60 fps. But many games from that era were CPU bound because multithreaded programming in games was on its infancy and dual core processors were common.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
AGESA 1.0.0.4 is apparently the real deal, installed the ASRock beta bios for my board, restarted RDR2, made it through the first cabin and up to the first train mission, buttery smooth. Previously I crashed 3 times within half an hour and when it wasn't crashing it was constantly hitching and freezing.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think you know what that word means.

This is in fact what you would be content with:

" Without knowing what high or ultra mean this is a stupid way to see things. If they scrapped high & ultra then renamed medium to ultra, low to high and made a new medium and low it would suddenly be "optimised"? "

Its amazing how arbitrary words can make people unsecure about their purchases and blame around without any insight.

You know its optimized how? Its amazing how people defend games that should be way more polished.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
In addition to the in-game Sharpness toggle, you can add extra sharpness through the Nvidia control panel too.

I experimented with it on Borderlands 3 recently and it worked shockingly well. BL3 is another game where the TAA at 1080p makes the game look very soft.
Oh this did the trick!

I'm toggling it on and off to compare in a grassy area and on Valentine's main street and it's like magic, game now looks really amazing and everything on screen pops as it should! Had to use the ingame one (alt f3), the one in the control panel wasn't working for me for some reason (using Vulkan maybe that's why), but I'm not noticing a significant performance hit.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to my Alienware R4 17".

i7-7700hq
GTX 1070
16GB RAM
M.2 Samsung 960 EVO

Ultra in places, medium/high everywhere else.

Pretty stable 1080p 60fps, does drop, but I'll work on that. Looks fantastic though.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Even at 0% I found it add slightly too much sharpening in this game. Odd, because I haven't experience that in other games. Though, RDR2 just has so much detail in distant foliage, so that might just be it.

I can't imagine 2 different forms of sharpening would do good things for picture quality. Might be a good idea to try it with TAA sharpening disabled in the RDR2 options and see if it looks any better.

May 31, 2018
Ohio
I updated my BIOS, and was finally able to launch the game. Things seem to be running smoothly.

Ryzen 3700
5700XT
32GB RAM
AROUS X570 Pro Wifi.

I'm running most of the settings at high, with ultra textures, with a couple medium settings mixed in. Running a solid 1080p/60+ fps. Looks and plays great.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Let me know how you get on please
Okay, so I've been running the game at 1440p for the last hour just playing the prologue and with an i5 3570k at 4.3 GHz and a GTX 1070 with 8gb of RAM. With Gsync, my game feels pretty smooth and a low of 40fps but I've got a lot of stuff up high just to look at it.

For project lasso, run the program as administrator. Right click on RDR2.exe and change the following:

Priority class: high
CPU limiter:
When CPU use is 98%
Reduce by this many CPU cores: 1
For a period of: 1 seconds

Add the rule, apply it, and you're good to go. I haven't had any stuttering since applying this trick.

Come on Rockstar, fix your shit.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
I finally got the game to start after updating the driver for my audio interface! This was after updating Windows 10 to 1903.

Fucking finally lmao

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I've been running the game at 1440p for the last hour just playing the prologue and with an i5 3570k at 4.3 GHz and a GTX 1070 with 8gb of RAM. With Gsync, my game feels pretty smooth and a low of 40fps but I've got a lot of stuff up high just to look at it.

For project lasso, run the program as administrator. Right click on RDR2.exe and change the following:

Priority class: high
CPU limiter:
When CPU use is 98%
Reduce by this many CPU cores: 1
For a period of: 1 seconds

Add the rule, apply it, and you're good to go. I haven't had any stuttering since applying this trick.

Come on Rockstar, fix your shit.
Much appreciated thanks

Im managing to get 60 fps out in the world, but in cities it tanks to 40, cpu gets hammered and my 2080 sleeps

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
GTA IV still doesnt work properly, even now
Gta iv was one heck of a game that still looks decent today and had more advanced physics and ai than gta v for example. Plus nyc looks great with all the population and traffic sliders maxed out.

It just was CPU bound and that made it hard to get steady 60 fps. But many games from that era were CPU bound because multithreaded programming in games was on its infancy and dual core processors were common.

Yeah I installed GTAIV a few years ago and it ran just fine... after I modded GFWL out ofit.

But at 1080p it still looks great actually. I still don't fully understand how its open world looks and feels more immersive than pretty much any other open world of its time. Non-Rockstar open worlds didn't really catch up until current gen games like AC Unity and Witcher 3.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
How did R* even managed to run this thing on weak Jaguar cores without the kind of stutters we're seeing on PC with much more powerful CPUs...

I think this engine is targeting PC and PS5 both for RDR2 and GTA6. So the weakest CPU is expected to be a bit more than an old 4C it as PS5 will have 6+ cores at that speed.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to make the RDR2 desktop shortcut redirect to the R* launcher, since it was just taking up space on my desktop otherwise. It's easy to forget amid all the "I can't play the game at all" or "I needed to flash my BIOS to be able to start the launcher" stuff, the shortcut the launcher puts on your desktop can't even be used to start the game.

At this point, I'm not even mad, just stunned.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018

Checked FPS with on and off and it's actually the same for me. If there is any difference it's negligible so I turned it back on.

Finally got Vulkan to work had to turn on pagefile in virutal memory lol not only did that improve my fps but now the game seems to boot full screen instead of windowed
Thank you! I had my pagefile turned off which was causing Vulkan to crash my game after loading the Story or Benchmark, I did gain roughly 10 FPS with it compared to DX12 but there are some MAJOR texture/asset streaming issues with Vulkan.

The stutters people are getting are related to having too low of a pagefile, Windows set mine automatically to a bit less than 3GB and my game started to stutter HARD on the benchmark. I increased the pagefile to 24GB min and 64GB max memory size and it was smooth sailing but the textures/assets are still not loading correctly.

Will have to go back to DX12 until Rockstar fixes this.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I played for over an hour no issues. And I have my game installed on a sea gate 5400. One thing I did do was update the Vulkan driver the one rockstar supplied in the folder is outdated to the one I found.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

60+ in Valentine no matter time of day for me. Not been to other towns and cities yet.

i7 9700K @ 5GHz
16GB
2080Ti

3440 x 1440 @ High settings with some water related settings lowered below that by a step.

Last edited: