• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I maybe found something:

There is a <asyncComputeEnabled value="false" /> line in the settings.xml

Thanks for this tip, now it seems to run as smooth as with DX12, but hopefully without less crashes to desktop.

Edit: It absolutely runs perfect now. Even this weird microstutter and framerate drop sometimes @ DX12 are gone.

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Your GPU should be able to safely sustain 100% GPU usage for a very, very long time. If it's overheating because of that, that's a problem with cooling.
oh right now i have 2080ti and its always at 60c. But i was still carefull about gpu usage for whatever reason., lol

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
R* launcher update.

Think I'm just going to cap my FPS to 45 and call it a day, it's the only thing that stops the stutters. Shame too, as I'm usually above 60 fps unless I enter a town.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
guys. Arent you worried when your gpu usage is 95%+? I always think its better to have some headroom so i lower some options and resolution n stuff. Or am i worried for nothing and its fine if the usage is 95% during gaming?

Do you mean if you have a capped framerate?

Headroom is good to have for those computationally intensive moments.
If your GPU is at 95% and above and your frame rate is higher than your frame rate target, such as a target of 60 fps with the game running at 70 fps then I don't think there is much reason to be worried, unless your GPU is overheating.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Performance hit between high and ultra Parallax Occlusion Mapping is around 12%. Ultra setting adds visibly more details and geometry on ground textures like additional grass and small shadows and little stones. Performance between low, medium and high is neglectable (1%) but visual quality increases a bit. I recommend "high" instead of "ultra" if you struggling reaching your target fps.

Ultra:
f8m8Vw8.jpg

High:
fmmCVYm.jpg

Also Geometry Level of Detail is broken. Highest setting actually removes objects from distance (maybe for accuracy?). Looks worse while performance worse.

Highest setting:
9kBaoIt.jpg

lowest setting:
fmmCVYm.jpg

Second lowest setting:
47WkfLs.jpg

The higher the setting the more detail is lost in the distance. Look at the grass and bushes in the far, on the left, next to the rail tracks.

Would you mind taking some more screenshots and showing this in another area? Mine doesn't seem to be doing what yours is, I am losing detail when lowering the setting.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ig

Do you mean if you have a capped framerate?
If your GPU is at 95% and above and your frame rate is higher than your frame rate target, such as a target of 60 fps with the game running at 70 fps then I don't think there is much reason to be worried, unless your GPU is overheating.

Headroom is good to have for those computationally intensive moments.
yeah i cap my fps to 60 with RTSS and vsync, because i have 60hz tv

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Every time I enter this thread, I leave shaking my head. We could all have the same setup, same settings, and all still walk away with different reaults

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the pcgameshardware video.
They are only able to run the game on two of their systems. They've found a repeatable way to crash the game in one of the cities (approach a certain post on a horse), besides other crashes and also found vulkan to not be smooth. They are recommending dx12 for both AMD and Nvidia. If possible...

But a rx 570 is able to achieve ~50 FPS on a mix of high and medium settings at 1080p

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They are only able to run the game on two of their systems. They've found a repeatable way to crash the game in one of the cities (approach a certain post on a horse), besides other crashes and also found vulkan to not be smooth. They are recommending dx12 for both AMD and Nvidia. If possible...
Yeah, DX12 is a lot better for me.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I've been pretty lucky so far. i7 9700k, 2070, 16gig, vulkan. I'm running at 1440p and getting almost entirely solid frame rates.

It really is a very pretty game. This video is a short ride in Online.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine if it didn't use all my CPU whilst my GPU rests, as well as the stutters on i5's

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Any 3770k Users having issues? Seems the i5's arent doing well but there hasnt been much in this thread about much older CPU's.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Any 3770k Users having issues? Seems the i5's arent doing well but there hasnt been much in this thread about much older CPU's.
I've been pretty vocal and annoying about my i5 3570k/1070/8gb RAM combo. The game is running fine with a mix of settings, most medium to high, at a consistent framerate besides the i5 stuttering that I fixed with Project Lasso. Mind you, I'm using Gsync at 1440p.

49030955313_136618ae85_o.png

Just got to Valentine and run anywhere from 45-70fps at 1440p. Rockstar fucked older CPUs without using limiters though.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada

Shout out to this man, because these settings got me to 98fps average at 1440p and it still looks amazing.
(9700k/2080 TI, but he also tested it with a 8700k and 1080 TI, so it's not just for one set-up.)

Cool. I'm going to try this with my 2080 and see what I get at 4k (0.8 resolution scale). My current settings give me 60fps in the field, but about 45-50 in camp/towns. I wonder what the game will look like with these settings.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

But a rx 570 is able to achieve ~50 FPS on a mix of high and medium settings at 1080p

Damn man, this game is in a rough state. I haven't seen a AAA PC launch with so many issues in a long time!

I've tested the game's benchmark with an i7-2600K at 3.2-3.5GHz and an RX 570 and GTX 1080 Ti.
I want to test the performance in game with this configuration as I've heard that there can be performance differences between the benchmark and gameplay.

The i7 2600K isn't performing the best it can as I'm using a H61 motherboard with a max CPU multiplier of 38 (3800MHz) and an Intel stock cooler, there are some points in the video where it reached 90 Celsius so I underclocked it to 3.2GHz. It could probably do with some thermal paste and ideally a new CPU cooler but it seems to be holding up pretty well for an 8+ year old CPU.

I would like to test it again with the optimised settings I have found.

I7-2600K 3.5GHz + RX 570

i7-2600K 3.2GHz + GTX 1080 Ti

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my reasoning was for gpu heating up if its very high usage. I remember having that issue with 780ti.
That sounds like a cooling issue. My 1080 Ti got pretty hot for the longest time until I cracked it open to repaste the die. Now my temps stay under 60C as long as I keep fan speed and temps at a 1:1 ratio (which I usually don't, since fans at 50-60% are pretty loud).

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oddly, I've never had the launcher crash on my 3700X, only the game itself.

Yeah there is no logic why it has problems on some ryzen 3000 CPUs and not on others. Sometimes upgrading to a newer AGESA helps, sometimes downgrading, sometimes it's the Sound Driver, sometimes it's the anti virus software, sometimes it's because the moon shadow doesn't align correctly with the old oak on the hill.

I hope people are finally able to play it now.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'll be damned, turning off the GeForce Experience in-game overlay fixes the issue with the Windows Mouse Cursor staying on the screen for those having this annoying problem. This works perfectly as you can still use the in-game cursor where you need to (settings, map, etc).

Edit: Unless it is some kind of placebo effect I swear my game looks much sharper without the overlay as well.

On another note, performance has remained great with mostly high settings and a few ultra and mediums mixed in...even left the water physics at their default state. Getting 60-80 FPS at a native 3440x1440 on a 2080, i7-6700, 32 GB RAM with the game installed on a SSD (no stuttering of any kind to speak of). DX12 doesn't work at all (well, I haven't tried it in a few days but I'm done with tinkering at this point, just want to play).

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Day four: A Rockstar Launcher update has moved me from "Rockstar Launcher exited unexpectedly" to "Red Dead Redemption 2 exited unexpectedly". I guess that's some progress but I still haven't properly launched the game a single time.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Day four: A Rockstar Launcher update has moved me from "Rockstar Launcher exited unexpectedly" to "Red Dead Redemption 2 exited unexpectedly". I guess that's some progress but I still haven't properly launched the game a single time.
Have you tried whitelisting it from your Antivirus?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there is no logic why it has problems on some ryzen 3000 CPUs and not on others.
Some folks are playing on brand new X570 or B450 motherboards. Some are playing on X470 or B350 boards. Could be tied to that, though I don't believe I've ever played a PC port where that was a major factor in performance or stability.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some folks are playing on brand new X570 or B450 motherboards. Some are playing on X470 or B350 boards. Could be tied to that, though I don't believe I've ever played a PC port where that was a major factor in performance or stability.

Gamernexus had two x570 boards not working and one working if I'm not mistaken. All three were from Gigabyte.
There really is no logic here. I mean there certainly is, but without deeper insider like levels of knowledge into BIOS and Microcode it's probably futile to try to see any.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Gamernexus had two x570 boards not working and one working if I'm not mistaken. All three were from Gigabyte.
There really is no logic here. I mean there certainly is, but without deeper insider like levels of knowledge into BIOS and Microcode it's probably futile to try to see any.
I'd like to think there's a pattern, but even if we could identify a trend, correlation doesn't equal causation.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018

Shout out to this man, because these settings got me to 98fps average at 1440p and it still looks amazing.
(9700k/2080 TI, but he also tested it with a 8700k and 1080 TI, so it's not just for one set-up.)
Those settings seem pretty solid, I'll try them out however I do see that he lost dynamic lighting from the moon in the benchmark part of the town, I really don't want to lose that, anyone know which setting controls that?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Have you tried whitelisting it from your Antivirus?

Tried that too but it should not be necessary anymore. I don't know what it was but I got the game running. It did crash right after the opening as I was riding out. Second try with DX12 it seemed to work fine and runs decently in 5120x1440 at least for this initial bit. The cutscenes boxing in on ultrawide is super stupid.

Next thing I will try is to get this working with Steam Controller so I can get some proper control. This games has a shitload of button bindings.
EDIT: Got it working by adding Rockstar Launcher to Steam via GloSC. Just adding it directly would crash the game for some reason.

Last edited:

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I've been experimenting with the settings in this game and have reduced the settings that I have found to be the most computationally expensive on my PC, I use them to run the game at 1440p with a 60 fps target.

Since uploading this, I have made improvements to the settings shown in this video and I am currently rendering a new 30-minute video where I explore different areas in the game.
I'm also working on a 60 fps performance guide!

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
some of the settings pages don't require you to "apply changes" or "save." It just saves automatically. Not sure about keyboard mapping though.
Tried that too but it should not be necessary anymore. I don't know what it was but I got the game running. It did crash right after the opening as I was riding out. Second try with DX12 it seemed to work fine and runs decently in 5120x1440 at least for this initial bit. The cutscenes boxing in on ultrawide is super stupid.

Next thing I will try is to get this working with Steam Controller so I can get some proper control. This games has a shitload of button bindings.

thanks!