• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crashes are back (even in DX12) in online mode. It even crashes when they update their launcher. Performance is rock solid for me, just crashing especially at the worst time (like when you're trading 65dollars worth of goods or briging back perfect skins).

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Will this game run like shit on a 970 if I have an i7 8700k and 16GB DDR4 RAM? Will try and install on an SSD as well.

EDIT: 1080p, not 4K.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited to see the DF settings analysis video when it arrives ! 1080p/60 feels achievable with the right mix of quality and performance settings. I feel like the benchmarks in game should be gameplay in Saint Denis and the snowy areas. It's not surprising that the mixture of lows and medium comprise the Console settings - this game definitely seems geared for the future. I hope by the time the Steam launch happens, more issues can be ironed out and I can jump back in.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I run this on a 970, I've had to mess around with a few of the settings but I've got it to a point where I love how it looks and the framerate is more than acceptable.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes. Sorry, just being honest.

No I prefer honesty! I would rather not waste my money on this if it won't run well. Just gonna keep saving up for a 1080ti.

You're probably OK if you run textures at High, most everything else at Medium, and a 1080P res. I believe that's what the DF video conveyed. Maybe some settings on Low, can't remember fully.

I run this on a 970, I've had to mess around with a few of the settings but I've got it to a point where I love how it looks and the framerate is more than acceptable.

Oh interesting. Would it be a lot of trouble to ask for a screenshot or video of how it looks? Only if either of you have one off-hand, don't make the effort for me lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, getting random crashes again now which disappeared for a couple days but now they're back. I should just play some Death Stranding and forget about this game for a couple weeks. I feel like I'm back in the mid-2000s where tinkering with games on PC was more of the experience rather than actually playing them.

Oct 27, 2017
No I prefer honesty! I would rather not waste my money on this if it won't run well. Just gonna keep saving up for a 1080ti.

Oh interesting. Would it be a lot of trouble to ask for a screenshot or video of how it looks? Only if either of you have one off-hand, don't make the effort for me lol.
The DF video has a section dedicated to the game running on a 970, I believe. I'm using a 2080.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Can someone confirm if 4:3 resolutions are supported? I want to play this on my CRT.

Thanks!

maGs

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else getting stuttering while panning the camera around with the mouse? It only really seems to happen when sprinting, though.
Its really distracting and kind of taking away from my enjoyment of the game

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I wish they shared the actual settings they used for some of these comparisons. I didn't see links in the descriptions or anything like that.

It's in the video, however Richard mentions that these settings are still work in progress and that Alex is still looking at it and that some of the settings used on the Xbox One X are lower than the "low" settings available in the PC settings menu.

At around 11:52 these are the settings Richard has tested so far:

bPLJbgu.png

xeD6Jrv.png

U94xx0p.png

Is anyone else getting stuttering while panning the camera around with the mouse? It only really seems to happen when sprinting, though.
Its really distracting and kind of taking away from my enjoyment of the game

Change your mouse controls to Direct Input in the game's settings.

Last edited:

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DF experienced stutters with DX12, but not Vulkan? Also no significant difference between Water Physics Settings? What?

giphy.gif

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I dont experience a single stutter with Vulkan, so this isn't out of the question. All depends on your cpu.

Me 3900x, but we also have reports from people on i9s in this very thread. So probably no.

And "I don't experience" is subjective. This isn't an attack, but there are people who do not see the difference between 4k and fullHD, between 30 and 60fps or think that Switcher 3 is better looking than Witcher 3 on One X. I don't know where to put you and if you'd even spot stutters when they occur.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
DF experienced stutters with DX12, but not Vulkan? Also no significant difference between Water Physics Settings? What?

giphy.gif

I haven't properly tested DX12 yet, but I found the Water Physics part surprising!

I've noticed that the performance hit from Water Physics may be most noticeable when near a stream of water or a river.
If I can recall correctly I observed a dip from around 60 fps to 40 fps by increasing the Water Physics from 0% to 100%

In the video, it seemed like Richard tested a large body of water which may be why he didn't see much of a performance hit, or maybe it's GPU dependent?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed that the performance hit from Water Physics may be most noticeable when near a stream of water or a river.

Exactly my experience!

I personally didn't notice much difference with the water physics settings, but that could also be because I wasn't anywhere near large bodies of water.

Go to a small river, look at it and change the settings:

Water Physics 50%
Water Physics 100%

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
It's in the video, however Richard mentions that these settings are still work in progress and that Alex is still looking at it and that some of the settings used on the Xbox One X are lower than the "low" settings available in the PC settings menu.

At around 11:52 these are the settings Richard has tested so far:

bPLJbgu.png

xeD6Jrv.png

U94xx0p.png

Change your mouse controls to Direct Input in the game's settings.

Thanks! I must have missed it. Was watching at work (shhhhhhh, dont tell my boss!)

edit: oh wow it was on screen for 10 seconds. I must have looked away. great job with the screenshots!

Last edited:

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
pcgameshardware.de was able to measure Vulkan related stutters and is recommending DX12 over Vulkan because of it.

This game is fucked up.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The first major patch is a big bust for me too. I had 0 crashing issues with DX12 before the patch, and now it will randomly crash which really sucks with RDR2 lack of saving/auto-save options. Does it only auto-save at points where you can save the game anyway, ie, after missions are finished at camp?

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
One thing I noticed about this. Zooming with the mouse wheel in the map seems to be worse in Direct Input mode, in Raw you can zoom in/out faster.

At least in my experience.

Oh okay, that's interesting. I don't think I've used the mouse to zoom in the map yet.

Exactly my experience!

Go to a small river, look at it and change the settings:

Water Physics 50%
Water Physics 100%

Haha oh gosh, that's almost the same spot where I tested it too!

I stood underneath the bridge in the top left of this image and looked at the water stream.

vpZoKQd.jpg

I also tested another spot but I forgot where it was.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Me 3900x, but we also have reports from people on i9s in this very thread. So probably no.

And "I don't experience" is subjective. This isn't an attack, but there are people who do not see the difference between 4k and fullHD, between 30 and 60fps or think that Switcher 3 is better looking than Witcher 3 on One X. I don't know where to put you and if you'd even spot stutters when they occur.

Yeah I'm not one of those people. I have an i9 9900k and use RTSS to check my frame times.

All I'm saying is it happens. I lucked out, just like I did with Borderlands 3. Not sure why though.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not one of those people. I have an i9 9900k and use RTSS to check my frame times.

All I'm saying is it happens. I lucked out, just like I did with Borderlands 3. Not sure why though.
Yeah, it's weird in that people can have the same GPU and CPU but have different problems.

Can't remember the last time a game needed the BIOS updated or downgraded, shit is fucked.

Oct 27, 2017
The game is such a head case right now, earlier today I was getting CTD every 15 minutes or so, playing the same areas now for an 1 hour straight and no crashes. Getting the feeling it will be beyond hard to get this in any kind of stable state anytime soon. Save as much as you can is the best bet now, I guess.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's weird in that people can have the same GPU and CPU but have different problems.

Can't remember the last time a game needed the BIOS updated or downgraded, shit is fucked.

Destiny 2 did when the 3000 series AMDs came out. After GTA V this is a very disappointing port. My HDR is completely fucked, and I get quite a bit of flickering in the bottom half of the screen. This flickering also hides the main menu. So weird.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This is obviously a very bad port or there wouldn't be 49 pages in the performance thread. Stutters, crashing in Vulkan and now after the patch in DX12, launcher not even working, very poor scaling. While Ultra is obviously meant for future hardware, the game shouldn't be doing so poorly at 1440p or ultrawidescreen 1440p on high settings using powerful hardware (8 core or better CPU, 1080 Ti / 2080 or 2080 Ti tier GPU). I was more impressed with Assassin Creed Odyssey graphics and it ran like a dream compared to RDR2. I think part of the problem with RDR2's look is the crappy AA options we have and the textures in many cases just aren't that impressive or not loading properly.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Destiny 2 paired with the new Ryzens is all I can think of. The Outer Worlds is another polarizing PC port where some people experience bad stuttering and performance problems while others are don't, and they could all be on a similar hardware configuration or the better performing ones could even be on slower hardware.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Oh man, for real! The only game that had this issue recently was Destiny 2 as there was a microcode bug with Ryzen 3000 CPUs. I would love to know what is the reason for these "Exited Unexpectedly" errors!

Maybe, who knows. I'm not questioning his results. I'm just very confused.

Testing a game like this can be a tough one, there's so many variables at play! I don't think I've ever seen a PC game with so many settings!
Richard does stress that him and Alex are still looking at the game, so they may encounter the same thing we did!

Dictator Have you observed any performance impacts from the Water Physics setting like I mentioned in this post?

I haven't properly tested DX12 yet, but I found the Water Physics part surprising!

If I can recall correctly I observed a dip from around 60 fps to 40 fps by increasing the Water Physics from 0% to 100%

In the video, it seemed like Richard tested a large body of water which may be why he didn't see much of a performance hit, or maybe it's GPU dependent?

Thanks! I must have missed it. Was watching at work (shhhhhhh, dont tell my boss!)

edit: oh wow it was on screen for 10 seconds. I must have looked away. great job with the screenshots!

Haha, you're welcome!