• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are people still whining about not being able to run on all high settings? I mean if the higher tier consoles use a mix of medium to below low settings what do people expect? Are people not informed enough to understand that "high" and "ultra" are not a constant from game to game? I'm not saying that this game is a great port. But the issues are not because of "un-optimized" graphical settings. Hardware issues and API hiccups seem to be the thing to focus on here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Are people still whining about not being able to run on all high settings? I mean if the higher tier consoles use a mix of medium to below low settings what do people expect? Are people not informed enough to understand that "high" and "ultra" are not a constant from game to game? I'm not saying that this game is a great port. But the issues are not because of "un-optimized" graphical settings. Hardware issues and API hiccups seem to be the thing to focus on here.
No. Did you even bother reading the thread?

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great, let's base how good a PC port is by comparing it to console settings, ffs.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The port has issues with bugs and technical problems but Digital Foundry video really revealed that the optimization is significantly better than people would have you believe.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you willfully ignored every other problem with the game to focus on that shit?

I did bring up in my statement that this isn't great port and that there are other things to focus on. I just pointed out that there are people still focusing of graphical settings.

Did you not read everything I typed? Calm down buddy. It's just performance talk.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great, let's base how good a PC port is by comparing it to console settings, ffs.

Maybe they should have offered more granular settings with better wording like "Extreme" and "insane" for the more taxing levels of fidelity. What do you want from this game when it struggles on decent static hardware to begin with? Graphical settings shouldn't be the point of contention for this port.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Optimization is not the only thing that makes a port bad.

I have been fairly lucky as far as technical issues, after the big patch that evening I had a bunch of crashes, but since then and before it has been good.
BUT there are so many people even unable to play the game, experiencing huge crashes, and stuttering that shouldn't happen.

This is not a great port by any stretch of the imagination.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Optimization is not the only thing that makes a port bad.

I have been fairly lucky as far as technical issues, after the big patch that evening I had a bunch of crashes, but since then and before it has been good.
BUT there are so many people even unable to play the game, experiencing huge crashes, and stuttering that shouldn't happen.

This is not a great port by any stretch of the imagination.

Literally got zero issues on a mere i7 4790k + gtx 1080 and 16 gb of ram. Looks and run great

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any detailed analysis of the game comparing the setting to the consoles? I am just curious where they fall considering the huge performance requirements for anything above medium.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
XpwHqPi.jpg

Having the fire take a huge chunk of the screen like this right here instantly removes like 40 fps. What setting is likely culpable? (ignore the very low quality of the screenshot)

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a good one, I'll tell you that.
Unless you want to dismiss the plethora of problems many(including me) are experiencing? The stuttering, the weird texture bugs, the 'Christmas lights' are all good, yeah?

There are people out there who literally can't play the game yet, lmao. There is no disputing that this port is in a shit state.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
I am glad you have no issues, neither do I.
But that doesn't change the fact that a ton of people DO have issues.

It always has been a problem on the platform as a whole. So far its more of a launcher + game issues rather than the game itself. The graphical options, how it behaves and whatnot is actually good

Like this isn't Arkham Knight / MK X / Nier Automata state of affairs by any stretch of the imagination.

Also we use the term bad port when it actually looks worse than on console, here its the opposite

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Managed to play the game a good amount of time, got up to Valentine and did a few missions there until the game crashed again. Overall I feel it runs well with quite high settings in 5120x1440, need to tweak more. Gotta watch that DF video because I no longer remember what it looked like on PS4 Pro.

Steam Controller support is tougher on this than GTA V. The button prompts switch rapidly between m+kb and controller but gyro aim works really well. I have so far been able to go without using Dead Eye much at all whereas on consoles it's an absolute must. I played through the game on PS4 using free aim and it was rough. The increased framerate and mouse or gyro aim really make combat far more pleasant.

I still need to figure out my SC profile as turning the trackpad into joystick mode instead of mouse keeps the button prompts mostly on controller and looking/coarse aim still alright but it does not work well in the wheel menu to select things. I think I need to set an activator where holding LB will change how the trackpad works to operate the menus better. Alternatively I will try the DS4 with gyro aim.

I really wish this game just gave me a "use button prompts for [PS4/Xbox/Steam Input/Mouse+Keyboard]" option. Every PC game should just implement Steam Input or support changing the prompts nowadays, this auto switching is just bad.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
It always has been a problem on the platform as a whole. So far its more of a launcher + game issues rather than the game itself. The graphical options, how it behaves and whatnot is actually good

Like this isn't Arkham Knight / MK X / Nier Automata state of affairs by any stretch of the imagination
Ok you are really just splitting hairs at this point.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Ok you are really just splitting hairs at this point.

Not really. For example back at Control's release, ton of folks had so many issues which could be solved in one or two manipulations / security override on windows 10 but it wasn't a global fix. I'm guessing you know where I'm shooting at from here

Last edited:

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
XpwHqPi.jpg

Having the fire take a huge chunk of the screen like this right here instantly removes like 40 fps. What setting is likely culpable? (ignore the very low quality of the screenshot)

I think Particle Quality, Particle Lighting and Global Illumination. I'm not sure how much or if the volumetric settings will have an impact on this, but you should definitely start with those settings.

What specs do you have? I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with 32 GB of 3000MHz CL15 DDR4 memory and a GTX 1080 Ti.

I have my Lighting Quality set to Medium, Global Illumination set to High, Particle Quality on Medium, Particle Lighting Quality on Ultra, and all Volumetric settings on Medium with Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution set to Off.

Particle, lighting and dynamic shadows would be in full effect there

Shadows is another thing too.

I recommend starting with the settings I said. With the settings I mentioned, decrease yours until you gain performance. If you don't gain performance, set it back to what you had and move onto the next setting. It might also prove to be beneifical to decrease a combination of settings.
You might want to leave the Particle Quality setting for last as you have to restart the game if you change that one, or maybe even change it first.

Alternatively, you could just use my settings and work your way up or down from there.

I would also recommend making a save by a campfire like that one, so you can load the game and go back to the campfire if you change the Particle Quality setting.

Last edited:

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
I'm surprised no one mentioned that you can't disable DOF. So many settings and this one is missing.

It ruins the image quality I'm trying to achieve with sharpening :(

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
DF: "What does it take to run RDR2 at 60FPS?"

Me: "What does it take to run RDR2 for longer than half an hour?"

26vK1yL.png

And before anyone asks, I've done everything PCGW suggested to prevent crashes, and everything R* has on their troubleshooting FAQ. Nothing works. The game is busted.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I swear I'm getting way more random visual glitches on PC than I ever did on the 1X. There also seems to be something funny about how the game looks in motion sometimes at 30fps but I can't put my figure on it.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

26vK1yL.png

And before anyone asks, I've done everything PCGW suggested to prevent crashes, and everything R* has on their troubleshooting FAQ. Nothing works. The game is busted.

Yeah, me too. Dx12 is broken for me; game will only run using Vulkan. And I can't play longer than 45 min or so before the game crashes. Plus the mouse pointer keeps popping up when I enter a menu, which is really annoying. I put the game down till they patch it.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I've switched back to Vulkan, searched for the most unimpressive, sorry, dry little stream of water and retested Water Physics:

100% (rest is maxed out, no msaa) = 47 fps
50% (rest is maxed out, no msaa) = 65 fps

Dictator
Could you guys please recheck Water Physics Settings, maybe this time at a river"ish" stream of water?
It's driving me insane.

Water physics might be one of those silly things that runs all the time but should really mostly apply only when objects are interacting with water. I'd expect that any visual differences would be seen in bigger streams with your horse going through it.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
My desktop (2080ti) runs fine in vulkan or dx12. I think text boxes and the occasional textures glitch a little in vulkan

my laptop (1060) runs weird AF in dx12. It will get stuck at 1fps even during loading until I alt-enter to make it "full screen"? and then I get weird stutter in game. Vulkan is better on it. So I don't know if one is necessarily better across the board.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Water physics might be one of those silly things that runs all the time but should really mostly apply only when objects are interacting with water. I'd expect that any visual differences would be seen in bigger streams with your horse going through it.

Yeah sure.
I'm more keen about the performance impact it has. Rich from DF mentioned that it has no real impact in his video from a couple of hours ago.
While for me, and for other users, it has a significant impact. Even if there is only a rather small stream of water in the scene.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Vulkan runs way smoother for me as well. Had DX12 running all day long, not getting an average above 45fps or so and never exceeding 60. Switched it to Vulkan earlier tonight, and now getting averages around 55-57fps and actually getting higher than 60fps in open nature areas.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Faster average =|= smoother.
Vulkan also runs faster for me. Up to 10%.
But it also produces terrible frame times. Not all of the time, not everywhere, not even often. But when it hits, it's bad.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

26vK1yL.png

Stop complaining man, apparently this is a good port

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Are people still whining about not being able to run on all high settings? I mean if the higher tier consoles use a mix of medium to below low settings what do people expect? Are people not informed enough to understand that "high" and "ultra" are not a constant from game to game?
Dude this video is literally the first 'confirmed' report that consoles use medium to below-low, and it was released a few hours ago. Not everyone has seen it yet.

Regardless, if you're releasing a game now and use terms such as low/medium/high that every other game uses but has far less of a performance impact, at least part of the onus is on the design of your settings menu and/or the terms you use. I think at least part of the confusion could have been mitigated somewhat if say, Rockstar took the approach MS did with Gears 4/5 - highlighting each graphical settings in terms of its GPU/CPU/Memory impact, and naming them appropriately - such as "Insane", and providing preview image detailing what exactly they change. I mean if your 'ideal' settings are 'medium/low' in 2019 even on modern hardware, don't be surprised when PC gamers who are used to just setting everything to high/ultra for console ports are wondering wtf is up.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
Anyone with a 2080Ti having issues with the Game actually recognizing it has 11GB of Vram? In the settings, it shows there is only ~8.8GB of Vram. Checked on GPU-Z just to see if there was something funky, but GPU-Z shows 11,264 MB for VRAM.