• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with a 2080Ti having issues with the Game actually recognizing it has 11GB of Vram? In the settings, it shows there is only ~8.8GB of Vram. Checked on GPU-Z just to see if there was something funky, but GPU-Z shows 11,264 MB for VRAM.

Mine actually shows up as 9.4gb, which is a little odd for sure.

mBbVrVD.png

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
Mine actually shows up as 9.4gb, which is a little odd for sure.

mBbVrVD.png

Just kidding, or maybe it changed on me but just booted it up again and it is showing 9303 MB for me. Well just add to the list of funky things going on with the game. Glad to know its not just me.

Also the benchmark in DX12 always freezes on the 4th scene (first one of the town) where it is night time and the lantern turns while screen is panning. It freezes when the camera starts panning and I have to force quite.

No issue with Vulcan. Using an Intel CPU.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
1080ti Async
8IeJntX.png
omFaLvx.png
XAoghdK.png
tJRd2xg.png

There were shadow jitters when async was off. A guaranteed one is right as the swamp part of the bench ends.
dx12 is noticeably smoother than Vulkan. dx12 has 10+ second load times on an NVME and Vulkan's are maybe 2. Vulkan is worse when async is on only in the swamp portion of the benchmark but is smoother in the rest of it.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, DX12
2560 x 1440, 143998hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: No, Triple: Off

Textures: Ultra
Anisotropic: 16x
Lighting: High
Global Illumination: High
Shadows: High
Far Shadows: High
SSAO: High
Reflection: Medium
Mirror: High
Water: Custom
Volumetrics: High
Particles: Medium
Tessellation: High
FXAA: Off, TAA: High, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetrics Quality: High
Far Volumetric Quality: High
Volumetric Lighting Quality: High
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: Off
Particle Lighting Quality: Medium
Soft Shadows: High
Grass Shadows: High
Long Shadows: On
Full resolution SSAO: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: Medium
Water Physics Quality: 25%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpen Intensity: 85%
Motion Blur: Off
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 79%
Grass Level of Detail: 75%
Tree Quality: High
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: High
Fur Quality: Medium

Generated on 2019-11-09 18:45 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://bit.ly/2oZlIuy)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
What I will say is that this is so much better looking on my pc than it was on PS4 Pro. I said it before, it can literally take your breath away at times. Something I never truly felt on ps4 pro version.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
My 1440p 60 fps Optimized Ultra-Medium Settings V2 video is up now! I travel to Rhodes, Saint Denis, Valentine and Strawberry.

Rhodes - 1:36
Saint Denis - 5:02
Valentine - 13:20
Gang Hideout - 22:00
Strawberry - 26:43

Sorry for how spaced out these 4 locations are, it's in chronological order and there's gameplay in-between these locations that show how the game performs in between the visits to them.

Last edited:

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
When I started the game up this morning I was met with lovely artifacts along the right edge of my screen :(
reddeadredemptioniisc0lk15.jpg

It wasn't there last night and it doesn't appear in any other games I've tried today, so I don't know what it's doing. I thought I could just kick back and enjoy the game today, but now I'm worried that my GPU is dying.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I have the same setup. What resolution you running at?

1080p, I'm a normal pleb. Zero issues whatsoever with Vulkan, solved DX 12 hitching the same way than I did with Control. Its not the game, its windows

www.dsogaming.com

Here is how you can completely fix the annoying DX12 stutters, even with Ray Tracing, in Control

PC gamers can use Exploit Protection in order to eliminate all stuttering issues in Control, and we can confirm that this solution actually works.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Still getting some pretty bad hitches although I've got the framerate and visuals I want. Is switching to DX12 from Vulkan still fucked? Playing a 1070 and an i5-6600k.

Oct 25, 2017
When I started the game up this morning I was met with lovely artifacts along the right edge of my screen :(
reddeadredemptioniisc0lk15.jpg

It wasn't there last night and it doesn't appear in any other games I've tried today, so I don't know what it's doing. I thought I could just kick back and enjoy the game today, but now I'm worried that my GPU is dying.

Have you changed any settings? I have the same issue whenever I use 1.75x resolution scaling. No other settings cause it and I can run 1.5x or 2.0x without a problem but, for whatever reason, 1.75x gives me artifacting along the bottom of my screen.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
DigitalFoundry's video was wholly underwhelming. Recommending a Core i5 when there are known issues with non hyperthreaded CPUs? The video felt like 20 minutes with very little substance mostly apologizing for the port.

I say this as someone with a virtually flawless experience with an i7 6700K and 2070 Super.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
DigitalFoundry's video was wholly underwhelming. Recommending a Core i5 when there are known issues with non hyperthreaded CPUs? The video felt like 20 minutes with very little substance mostly apologizing for the port.

I say this as someone with a virtually flawless experience with an i7 6700K and 2070 Super.
I got that too. It felt like the issues people were having were being swept under the rug just to drive home the fact that consoles were actually running at "X" settings.

Need to remind yall Rockstar listed quad cores in their requirements.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with a 2080Ti having issues with the Game actually recognizing it has 11GB of Vram? In the settings, it shows there is only ~8.8GB of Vram. Checked on GPU-Z just to see if there was something funky, but GPU-Z shows 11,264 MB for VRAM.
I'd say it shows what is available for the game, as Windows and background apps such as web browsers can use some memory, like right now I have 1600 MB of VRAM used over 11 GB by Windows and Vivaldi mostly.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Have you changed any settings? I have the same issue whenever I use 1.75x resolution scaling. No other settings cause it and I can run 1.5x or 2.0x without a problem but, for whatever reason, 1.75x gives me artifacting along the bottom of my screen.
I had been changing some settings around but I went back to the config I had last night and the artifacts were still there. I then tried shifting the resolution scale around and you're right, certain scales give me artifacts along one edge of the screen but others don't. And it seems like switching from one resolution scale to another can alleviate the issue entirely? It's weird but at least that seems to get rid of it, thanks.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Still though, Consoles running volumetrics lower than low was a surprise. Makes me think Ultra is very very future proof.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
rdr2treetextureultra-h2k2h.gif

I just can't believe this is how it's intended to work. The difference between Textures at Ultra and High is bigger than in other games.
Really hurts that my 970 becomes a total freeze-fest at Ultra. I've played games with better textures without issues.
Why is it like this on High. This just can't be right. Verified game files but they still look way too muddy for the setting.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Still though, Consoles running volumetrics lower than low was a surprise. Makes me think Ultra is very very future proof.
The game is bathed in volumetrics. That was actually what I noticed first before the draw distance. I've never seen entire forests with high resolution volumetrics, but that bayou filled with fog was incredible.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
There are some issues I've noticed with both Vulkan and directx 12 that is really annoying. Vulkan will randomly cut my gpu usage in half, if people are noticing low gpu usage in Vulkan, try alt-tabbing out then back in, this fixes it for me. The other problem is the frame pacing when holding shift and I can't stand it. So I tried Dx12 and had a couple crashes at Valentine that I didn't on Vulkan, so it seems less stable. The other problem with Dx12 is my trees get all wobbly and it's very distracting, a video of it is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/ds65eg/trees_glitch_with_video/ both Vulkan and Dx12 are driving me crazy.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
There are some issues I've noticed with both Vulkan and directx 12 that is really annoying. Vulkan will randomly cut my gpu usage in half, if people are noticing low gpu usage in Vulkan, try alt-tabbing out then back in, this fixes it for me. The other problem is the frame pacing when holding shift and I can't stand it. So I tried Dx12 and had a couple crashes at Valentine that I didn't on Vulkan, so it seems less stable. The other problem with Dx12 is my trees get all wobbly and it's very distracting, a video of it is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/ds65eg/trees_glitch_with_video/ both Vulkan and Dx12 are driving me crazy.
I had wobbly trees caused by nvidia sharpening with film grain at 0, but I didn't see it when I set it higher.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Wonder if direct input keyboard would help

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

I've been whining on the terrible volumetric god ray resolution on the X since day one.

As someone who is using one an i5 is the last thing I'd recommend for this game.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Godamn if this isnt the best looking game ive ever seen. holy shit. on my 2080 super i can run most things at ultra or high and get 60 fps and holy fucking shit its incredible looking.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The more I play the more I am hating the TAA. It looks absolutely hideous in motion, can't stand it. I don't remember it being this bad on the X.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else having weird issues with sound? Using headphones it feels like the game randomly switches to a surround mix or something leading to sounds being muffled or in the worst case being totally reversed from their actual position.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
rdr2treetextureultra-h2k2h.gif

I just can't believe this is how it's intended to work. The difference between Textures at Ultra and High is bigger than in other games.
Really hurts that my 970 becomes a total freeze-fest at Ultra. I've played games with better textures without issues.
Why is it like this on High. This just can't be right. Verified game files but they still look way too muddy for the setting.

What settings are you using? You might be able to use Ultra textures if you use my settings.
Judging by the settings menu, at 1440p the game says it will use/need around 3 GB of memory with my settings. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I think it might be worth giving my settings a try.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

I got that too. It felt like the issues people were having were being swept under the rug just to drive home the fact that consoles were actually running at "X" settings.

Need to remind yall Rockstar listed quad cores in their requirements.
Pretty much...

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure there is some kind of conflict between RDR2 and Microsoft OneDrive as every time my game crashes I notice OneDrive is active and doing something involving the Rockstar Social app. I just disabled OneDrive, I'll report back.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
So what happened to the narrative that the game would be easy to run because Rockstar listed low system requirements and Nvidia were bullshitting us with their guide to sell RTX cards?

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Latest Rockstar Games Launcher update basically fixed the crashes to desktop for me. Played for 3 hours or so and everything just miraculously worked.

By the way, for those who never saw G-Sync working or its "real life" benefits, here's an off-screen video shot at 4K/60 FPS. The game was running here at 3440x1440, mix of high and ultra settings, Vulkan, on a 1080 TI. I unfortunately turned off the RTSS HUD moments before and forgot to enable it while shooting the video, but rest assured, this whole segment was running at 45-50 FPS (max). You can see how smoothly G-Sync handles the sub-60 frame rate, basically looks like 60 FPS at all times. I'm happy now.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Latest Rockstar Games Launcher update basically fixed the crashes to desktop for me. Played for 3 hours or so and everything just miraculously worked.

By the way, for those who never saw G-Sync working or its "real life" benefits, here's an off-screen video shot at 4K/60 FPS. The game was running here at 3440x1440, mix of high and ultra settings, Vulkan, on a 1080 TI. I unfortunately turned off the RTSS HUD moments before and forgot to enable it while shooting the video, but rest assured, this whole segment was running at 45-50 FPS (max). You can see how smoothly G-Sync handles the sub-60 frame rate, basically looks like 60 FPS at all times. I'm happy now.

That looks so good... but there was a lack of fast motion so I couldn't see the gsync benefits. Could you do an example of fast horse riding or running on foot in a busier location?

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That looks so good... but there was a lack of fast motion so I couldn't see the gsync benefits. Could you do an example of fast horse riding or running on foot in a busier location?
Will try it later, can't properly play while shooting a video at the same time, :p.
There's plenty of motion if you look at the right and left sides of the screen when I'm moving forward and also when spinning the camera at around the end of the video.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I completely disabled sharpening and that seemed to help with a lot of the artefacts and funny business going in motion with TAA. Makes it pretty blurry overall though.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I watched Gamer Nexus CPU video.

Will a 9600K be a problem if I plan to play at 4k/60? Or are those frame time issues only present when pushing the CPU usage near 100% with high framerates?

I really regret getting the 9600k over the 9900k.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I finally bought the game.
If it doesn't run well, refunding is always an option...
What hardware do you have? I might be able to help you out with the settings!

So I watched Gamer Nexus CPU video.

Will a 9600K be a problem if I plan to play at 4k/60? Or are those frame time issues only present when pushing the CPU usage near 100% with high framerates?

I really regret getting the 9600k over the 9900k.

What GPU do you have? i5-9600K and i9-9900K? You were contemplating getting a CPU that's around 2x it's price? Or are you talking about the i7-9700K which is closer in price to the 9900K?

If you mean the i5-9600K, I could try to do some 60 fps tests with SMT disabled on my Ryzen 5 3600. It may not be quite the same as they're two different CPU architectures, but I wonder if I will encounter the same issues as those Intel CPUs without hyper threading (SMT).

Last edited: