• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So these seems to be my final settings for:
  • i5 8600K @ 4.65 GHz
  • 16 GB DDR4 @ 2964 MHz
  • GTX 1080 @ 2076/6000 MHz
  • 2560x1080 (x1.25: 3200x1350)
  • 20.0 ms / 49.989 FPS locked through RTSS

So is the 8600k/9600k fine as long as you are going for 60fps and not high framerates? Gamer Nexus's video wasn't clear. I have a 9600k/2080 Super and want to play at 4Kish/60 but worried about the micro stutter

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
so just booted up..

how do I change controls....nothign under the controls screen.

also any way to view FPS in game? launcher has anything in it?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After watching Rich's video, and seeing so many settings at low in the console version and also some are lower than low, I think I might take back what I said earlier that it's a bad port. Now I'm pretty excited for Alex's video!

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So Gamers Nexus just put up their settings deep-dive (with a tweaking guide coming at a later date). Near the end of the video, Steve mentions that they polled around 5,000 people and that about 50% answered that they couldn't even launch the game. I had no idea the problem was that widespread, that's just absolutely appalling.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I have a ryzen 1600x with a 1080ti and 16go of ram. I m playing on a 4k tv, does the game will run well on 1440p with this gpu ? i got the feeling that Pascal gpu are not good on this game :/

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I have a ryzen 1600x with a 1080ti and 16go of ram. I m playing on a 4k tv, does the game will run well on 1440p with this gpu ? i got the feeling that Pascal gpu are not good on this game :/

GPU should be fine, CPU could be the bigger bottleneck. The game has so many options to tweak that you should find some setting that works. If you haven't bought the game yet, wait until Steam release as major bugs should be fixed by then.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I did not find that at all in my tests - perhaps it could be for some scenes though. I used it to check out LOD fade distance.

I definitely appreciate it. I wondered why the first video on the game never mentioned the substantial issues playing the game, but I am glad you guys will address it. Many apologies for the issues on your behalf!

Emko

Oct 3, 2018
Slovakia
So is the 8600k/9600k fine as long as you are going for 60fps and not high framerates? Gamer Nexus's video wasn't clear. I have a 9600k/2080 Super and want to play at 4Kish/60 but worried about the micro stutter
I have none of the problems and my total CPU usage never went above 80%.
I can play at 60fps without the scaling and using NV sharpen but the IQ is not that good - it's still smudged. So I decided to lower settings enough to have 50fps lock and later I switched to using Vulkan (little perf. gain and quicker load times). NV Sharpen works only under DX12 thou.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
My monitor has a overclock setting to 165mhz would that offer any benefit when I have it set at 144mhz already ?

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
My monitor has a overclock setting to 165mhz would that offer any benefit when I have it set at 144mhz already ?
The difference between 144 and 165Hz is pretty minimal and is only really beneficial in competitive shooters and the like. You'd be better off not overclocking your monitor and using "those extra frames" that you would be spending to get to 165fps on a better graphical setting here and there. But of course, this only matters for games that you can achieve those framerates in to begin with, RDR2 definitely not being one of them.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
God damnit, still can't launch it... worked initially, restarted the game and now get the famous error message...

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
I have none of the problems and my total CPU usage never went above 80%.
I can play at 60fps without the scaling and using NV sharpen but the IQ is not that good - it's still smudged. So I decided to lower settings enough to have 50fps lock and later I switched to using Vulkan (little perf. gain and quicker load times). NV Sharpen works only under DX12 thou.

NV sharpen works in Vulcan as well. Tested changing sharpening in game using the geforce experience bar and I could clearly see the difference when changing it up and down, even when using Vulcan. Try it yourself.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
I am hoping for today - it is a lot though. I hope people in the end can appreciate the amount of hours (and frustration, honestly) that can go into such a thing.

Really looking forward to your video! Currently running the game with everything on high at 0.9 res scale of 4k on my 2080 ti and it would be awesome if I could turn down a few settings without a loss in IQ instead of using the res scale to get better performance. Using g-sync on my c9 oled so drops are not that noticeable but I want a lower limit of 50 fps at least for the lower input lag. My range currently is between 48 and 60 fps.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Using the overclock function in your monitor from 144hz to 165hz is usually considered a slightly bad idea. It's really really hard to notice the difference between those framerates and depending on the monitor it can make it have higher response times and general weirdness, not worth it.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Kind of at my wit's end with the stuttering now.

I've tried setting asynchronous compute to "true" in the XML, I've used Process Lasso to limit my CPU, but neither seem to fix the problem well enough for me to play for... more than an hour maybe before the stutter starts making the game unplayable.

It's also incredibly hard to tell if a "fix" is genuinely effective without playing for a while too, because the game runs well on startup no matter where I am in the game world, but the longer I play the worse the stutter gets.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So Gamers Nexus just put up their settings deep-dive (with a tweaking guide coming at a later date). Near the end of the video, Steve mentions that they polled around 5,000 people and that about 50% answered that they couldn't even launch the game. I had no idea the problem was that widespread, that's just absolutely appalling.

I have three systems with the game installed.

PC#1 didn't launch until Thursday night. PC#2 still doesn't launch correctly even today. PC#3 is the weakest and launched it immediately.

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Why is the setting menu fading in and out so slowly on my computer?
It takes half a minute for the next screen to show up.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's genuinely unbelievable. I don't understand how something this volatile, affecting such a wide array of system configurations, makes it out to market.

They did put out a brand new launcher back in September. If the game was natively an EGS or Steam title it's my firm belief the game would have worked immediately.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Man I just can't figure out the mouse input for god's sake.

Even using Raw Input the game still feels like it's emulating a pad rather then actually having real input. I've tried every single thing that I can think off and it's still feels like dog shit.

Control had a similar thing but with a bit of tweaking it was actually fine.

There's no way this port has been done by the same team that did GTA V because in that game the raw input actually worked.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Applied for a refund...maybe Epic will give me a bly I'm a bit over the 2 hours and I can't be bothered anymore..I'll buy Outer Worlds instead.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Man I just can't figure out the mouse input for god's sake.

Even using Raw Input the game still feels like it's emulating a pad rather then actually having real input. I've tried every single thing that I can think off and it's still feels like dog shit.

Control had a similar thing but with a bit of tweaking it was actually fine.

There's no way this port has been done by the same team that did GTA V because in that game the raw input actually worked.
I knew something was off with the mouse aiming. The second you have to shoot in the opening minutes of the game, I pulled out my controller.

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Oh, Ivy Bridge? I've tested an i7-2600K (Sandy Bridge) at 3.2GHz (Underclocked due to high temps on an Intel stock cooler with questionable thermal paste) and a RX 570 8 GB at 1440p with Ultra textures and Medium settings. I haven't tested it in gameplay yet, but it was able to achieve an average of 40 fps in the benchmark.
I haven't even found the most optimal settings yet for this GPU, however from my testing on my GTX 1080 Ti, I would make adjustments to the Water Physics Simulation which is at 50% in this video, and the Geometry Level of Detail which I think is somewhere around 40%

If I can get my hands on an RX 570 again I would like to make a new video and showcase the gameplay performance.

I tried it. Struggle a bit on 1440p, smooth on 1080p.
I think I'll pass since the performance is not really an upgrade over ps4 pro.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Now I am hitting the RDR2 exited unexpectedly error. Cannot launch the game at all now, despite it working normally the past few days.

Last edited:

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
What settings are you using? You might be able to use Ultra textures if you use my settings.
Judging by the settings menu, at 1440p the game says it will use/need around 3 GB of memory with my settings. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I think it might be worth giving my settings a try.

Thank you so much!
Followed the settings in your vid, but turned off TAA and set a couple of other toggles to medium.
Now, I'm at ~40 at the camp and 60 in the forest.
It's a tightrope with the VRAM at ~3400MB constantly. Oh well, no cash for an upgrade for years. Gotta do with stutters I guess.

rdr2_2019_11_09_16_43zqk78.png
rdr2_2019_11_09_16_43thk01.png

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, Vulkan
1920 x 1080, 60hz, Windowed: undefined, Vsync: Yes, Triple: Off

Textures: Ultra
Anisotropic: 16x
Lighting: Medium
Global Illumination: Medium
Shadows: Medium
Far Shadows: Medium
SSAO: Medium
Reflection: Medium
Mirror: Medium
Water: Custom
Volumetrics: Custom
Particles: Medium
Tessellation: Medium
FXAA: Off, TAA: Low, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetrics Quality: Medium
Far Volumetric Quality: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: Off
Particle Lighting Quality: Medium
Soft Shadows: Medium
Grass Shadows: Medium
Long Shadows: On
Full resolution SSAO: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: Medium
Water Physics Quality: 0%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpen Intensity: 100%
Motion Blur: Off
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 0%
Grass Level of Detail: 16%
Tree Quality: Medium
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: Medium
Decal Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: High

Generated on 2019-11-09 16:45 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://bit.ly/2oZlIuy)

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
It supports HDR but it's been broken since release.

I am also curious which is better, Vulkan or DX12 because I am reading completely conflicting reports. Some say vulkan has better framerate, but worse stutters, some say vulkan is better than DX12. Does it depend on whether you have AMD or Nvidia video card? I have 1080Ti and I would like to know whether it's better to use DX12 or Vulkan.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They did put out a brand new launcher back in September. If the game was natively an EGS or Steam title it's my firm belief the game would have worked immediately.

Not really a brand new launcher. I remember pre-ordering GTA V from Rockstar's own launcher in 2015. It was just called the Rockstar Social Club I think. I'm sure the game was intended to release on Rockstar Launcher, but maybe the major update in September messed things up.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
OK, this is now funny. Decided to play 16:9 1080p on 21:9 monitor for better performance, but in Fullscreen it gets squished. Menus are fine, only ingame lol
Looks normal in borderless window. Tbh, after all the issues I had, this is kinda bearable. Just wanna play the darn thing finally

rdr2_2019_11_09_17_01t6kkn.png
rdr2_2019_11_09_17_02u0jwy.png

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Would you mind taking some more screenshots and showing this in another area? Mine doesn't seem to be doing what yours is, I am losing detail when lowering the setting.
In other areas it seems visuals improve with higher settings. Not sure why that particular area not. Though I noticed someother decrease in detail on certain rocks in other areas with higher settings. Not sure why that is.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So my mouse feels a bit floaty in-game. I have it set to raw input with no accel...

Is that as good as it gets? A bit disappointed with it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

still a good port breh

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
It supports HDR but it's been broken since release.

I am also curious which is better, Vulkan or DX12 because I am reading completely conflicting reports. Some say vulkan has better framerate, but worse stutters, some say vulkan is better than DX12. Does it depend on whether you have AMD or Nvidia video card? I have 1080Ti and I would like to know whether it's better to use DX12 or Vulkan.

So far my experience after 4 hours of tinkering with my 1080ti and the game:

DX12 offers the smoother performance with fewest issues.

Vulkan has strange frame rate stutters in random spots with heavy trees or fog, dx12 never experiences those issues.

My TV supports 4K @50hz, so I've actually set many of the settings to high/ultra and got a locked 50 that feels very smooth :)

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does this game support HDR/Dolby Vision?
Also should i use Vulkan or DX12 for this game?
I have a 3900x Titan Xp 32GB ram system
Yeah it supports HDR, it works on my x900f. Also which API you should use... depends fromw hat I've read? Vulkan will give a better performance, but some people got problems with vulkan while less with DX12, and vice versa. Haven't tried with DX12 but vulkan runs fine for me. No crash yet.