• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I can't stop taking pictures in this game. It looks so good. So much better than on the PS4pro and playing at 60fps feels so much better.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
I have a question for people using upscaling and any image sharpening? From my understanding the sharpening in NV control panel doesn't work with Vulkan. So it's either DX 12 and control panel or Vulkan and NV Experience, I guess? Which do you prefer?
Also, I am currently upscaling from 5/6 (1800p). I see a lot of people with 0.8 resolution scale. Is there a reason to use this rather than 5/6 or 0.9?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone with a 4 core i5 test something for me?

Try and buy clothes, with dx12 selected and see if the game crashes or freezes up.

Thanks

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Which do you prefer?

Doesn't matter from an Image Quality perspective. DX12 + 30% sharpening will look the same as Vulkan + 30% sharpening. Some people are having problems with Vulkan and some people are having problems with DX12 though. Just pick the one that works best for you.

Is there a reason to use this rather than 5/6 or 0.9?

Performance.

0.8 will be ever so slightly more blurry, but also ever so slightly more performant than 0.833 or 0.9. Again, just take the one that gives you the better result.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I have a question for people using upscaling and any image sharpening? From my understanding the sharpening in NV control panel doesn't work with Vulkan. So it's either DX 12 and control panel or Vulkan and NV Experience, I guess? Which do you prefer?
Also, I am currently upscaling from 5/6 (1800p). I see a lot of people with 0.8 resolution scale. Is there a reason to use this rather than 5/6 or 0.9?

The difference is in order of operations.If you use Image sharpening in NVCP it will apply sharpening after upscale whereas the filter will apply it before. After is generally better as it will have more pixels to work with and can apply it on the blurrier upscaled image. The real end results are pretty similar though and the Freestyle Sharpen filter is easier to adjust to your preferences.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Has anyone tried using a save editor on PC?

I downloaded this tool (which, apparently, has been available for a while, and even works to convert PS4 files to PC) to replicate my Xbox progression. I was going for 100% completion on the X and put well over 100 hours into the game, but got burned out halfway through Chapter 4. That's when I decided to wait for the PC version, with better performance, mods, and, hopefully, a save editor, so I could pick up where I left off.

The tool "works", in the sense that all modifications are reflected in the game's trackers (challenges, compendium, etc.). Story even shows as 47% completed, with all missions unlocked up to the point in Chapter 4 where I'd stopped playing. However, when it comes to actual gameplay, I'm still at the beginning of Chapter 2 - exactly where I was before modifying the save file.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, and could use some help. I really don't want to grind for pelts again. :(

P.S.: I own the RGL version of the game.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
Doesn't matter from an Image Quality perspective. DX12 + 30% sharpening will look the same as Vulkan + 30% sharpening. Some people are having problems with Vulkan and some people are having problems with DX12 though. Just pick the one that works best for you.

Performance.

0.8 will be ever so slightly more blurry, but also ever so slightly more performant than 0.833 or 0.9. Again, just take the one that gives you the better result.
The difference is in order of operations.If you use Image sharpening in NVCP it will apply sharpening after upscale whereas the filter will apply it before. After is generally better as it will have more pixels to work with and can apply it on the blurrier upscaled image. The real end results are pretty similar though and the Freestyle Sharpen filter is easier to adjust to your preferences.

Thank you, guys.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Man I''m so sick of this shit. I've reach a point where I have to pick my poison.

Game is stuter free on DX12 and runs fine but in some moments in cutscenes it either crashes or locks up my entire computer and I have to force restart it.

Vulkan is a stuttery mess that also presents freezing but it doesn't have the cutscene problems.

I'm legit tired.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 crashes in the last hour. They really don't want me playing this game.

Same here, I cannot be doing any kind of runs or hunting under these conditions as it fucking crashes and resets everything ending up in me losing money. Rockstar should be fucking ashamed of this pc port.

On top of that I remember they gave shitloads of gold because of their piss poor effort for RDO on consoles, where is the that cash for pc considering it's in the same state? Oh and also, I'm a twitch prime member, redeem the free bounty hunter upgrade when the game came out and it's still hasn't come ingame (it's still asking me to shelve 15 gold for the license).

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I downloaded this tool (which, apparently, has been available for a while, and even works to convert PS4 files to PC) to replicate my Xbox progression. I was going for 100% completion on the X and put well over 100 hours into the game, but got burned out halfway through Chapter 4. That's when I decided to wait for the PC version, with better performance, mods, and, hopefully, a save editor, so I could pick up where I left off.

The tool "works", in the sense that all modifications are reflected in the game's trackers (challenges, compendium, etc.). Story even shows as 47% completed, with all missions unlocked up to the point in Chapter 4 where I'd stopped playing. However, when it comes to actual gameplay, I'm still at the beginning of Chapter 2 - exactly where I was before modifying the save file.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, and could use some help. I really don't want to grind for pelts again. :(

Hey cool, this seems to work. Thx mate

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
I've tried every fix I could find for the mouse cursor bug (the Windows cursor stays on screen and keeps popping back into the center even if you move it off screen). Nothing has fixed it. Really annoying, especially playing on controller. Has anyone else had this bug but was ultimately able to find a fix?
Are you running any in-game overlay? Geforce Experience, RTSS, Windows Game Bar? That's usually the culprit.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017

My guess is perhaps the game uses a 'main' save and also a 'checkpoint' save, and perhaps you've replaced the main save but the checkpoint still has you in Chapter 2. Just a guess.

louris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading conflicting reports on the performance of this on a 6700k with a 1070. I would like to play on 1080p at above 45fps consistently, to take advantage of Freesync at least, with some good eye candy. Is it possible at this time?

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awww shit it finally happened, I have crashing now just as it loads up my save game. Didnt have a single issue before this (other than mouse aim, which was fixed by changing to DirectInput).

2019-11-10sqkps.png

Edit - Switched to DX12 and it's working again 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Am I the only one that are getting stutter not mitigated by g sync around st denis? Running a 2080 ti with a 9700. Seems to be cpu related to loading new areas as I also get them when enteribg the camp. Anything you can do against these stutters? The game is running butter smooth in g sync with my c9 everywhere else

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading conflicting reports on the performance of this on a 6700k with a 1070. I would like to play on 1080p at above 45fps consistently, to take advantage of Freesync at least, with some good eye candy. Is it possible at this time?
So my setup is similar - a 6600k with a 1070, and I'm getting consistent 48-52ish fps at native 1440p with Gsync. Unfortunately the 4 core i5's are really busted with this game, so it took some tweaking and this process lasso tweak to prevent the game from freezing for upwards of 5 seconds every couple minutes. I still have issues in towns though, and am pretty sure 60fps is achievable with some more setting tweaks.

edit - oh wait, I didn't realize the 6700k is an i7. You should(?) be fine then, lol. If a cpu that has known issues with this game and a 1070 can hit ~50fps at 1440p you'll be fine with your setup.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What are your sharpening settings in Nvidia Control Panel? I never used it so I don't know what's good.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
So did it take a series of unholy rituals for anyone else to get rid of the permanent mouse cursor bug? I spent two days trying to figure out how to remove the damn thing and I'm still not sure what did it.

For anyone else with the issue though, I have the Epic games store set to run as administrator and the rdr2.exe running in compatability mode for Windows 8. I tried? turning off the geforce experience overlay, but idk if that did anything because hitting alt-z still brings it up. What (seemingly)fixed the issue for me though was updating to the latest microsoft .net framework update, restarting, uninstalling the update, restarting ..... then reinstalling it and restarting again? Between all these restarts I was launching the game to see if the issue was fixed and it only happened after the resinstall. I'm so confused.

edit - also people have been reporting that the last fix un-fixes itself if you restart your computer, requiring some combo of uninstalling/reinstalling the .net update to get rid of the cursor again. This port is a nightmare.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how many settings you can't select on PC compared to Xbox.

Game still looks great on the One X too.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Two questions:

How do you turn of vignette (darker on the bottom and top part of screens)?

Any way to remove the small dot cursor always at the center of the screen?

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Can you get rid of the visibly transforming tree LoDs seen at 25:10?
Oh wait the left screen doesn't have it haha. Is that tree quality?

Dec 15, 2017
Truly an amazing video.
Can we run the game at 4k 30 on an Rx 580 with these optimized settings? What about 1080p 30 on something like a 770 4gb or a 1050ti?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I'm surprised how little most of the options do to change the look of the game. I suppose it is a testament to how good it already looked on consoles but makes the whole hoopla of 'upgraded for PC" a bit suspect. It is not difficult to just raise settings for effects. The texture quality setting seems pretty much broken considering it goes to potato immediately while many options have little performance and visual impact.

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
Should I stick with 4k 50fps avg, or go down 1 tick to 2560 x1600 easily hitting 60fps avg on a 4k 60hz monitor?
Ultra Everything. Everything on or set to its highest settings except:
-FXAA/MSAA: off
-Water physics Quality: 3/4
-Resolution scale: (at 4k 4/5 [.800] at 1600 9/10[.900])
-Reflection MSAA: off

only real settings change between the two resolutions is the Resolution scaling,

Last edited:

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny enough i rolled back Nvidia drivers and all my problems have disappeared and i even have better performance in places i was dropping heavy frames before.