• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a patch to fix the tearing/hud glitching in Vulkan? I have way better framerate with Vulkan.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the benchmark Saint Denis performance not indicative of in-game Saint Denis performance??

It sort of is, at the right day of time and weather conditions. But at night, with all lights on, a a bit of fog.... you need to subtract 10-15fps.

Is there a patch to fix the tearing/hud glitching in Vulkan? I have way better framerate with Vulkan.

Are you using FXAA? Disabling FXAA "fixes" the glitching for me.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Is the benchmark Saint Denis performance not indicative of in-game Saint Denis performance??

No, which is a scumbag move by Rockstar.

There are way, way less NPCs in the benchmark then in the actual city. The benchmark is a kinda controlled siutation, when the real Saint Denis is a pretty dynamic setting.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait till more people get to Saint Denis and realize how utterly broken the game is.
Was the first place i went to, same performance as the benchmark, walked around the whole town during day and night and the only setting it was giving me problems at night was lighting quality, had to drop it from ultra to high and that was that, locked 60.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
It sort of is, at the right day of time and weather conditions. But at night, with all lights on, a a bit of fog.... you need to subtract 10-15fps.

Are you using FXAA? Disabling FXAA "fixes" the glitching for me.
Challenge accepted, than I shall avoid entering SD at night when its fog lol

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree. Something looks off with the textures even on Ultra.

I've always thought this game started off life as a PS360 gen game. Some of the textures and character models really aren't very good at all. The games scale and lighting are it's impressive aspects to me at least visually.

Are there any mods yet to skip looting bodies / the picking items up animations?

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Saint denis is really something different. I had three crashes there while i just rode through the city to test performance. Pretty demanding there, esp. with lighting quality to ultra.

Do you guys think game/launcher crashes happen more often with GPU OC or is it just completely random?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Damn y'all. This game is just an absolute trip. I decided to lock at 30 bc I want every last bit of eye candy, and esp in "game" HDR mode, this game has moments of delivering 3D rendered visuals above anything I've ever seen before. It's that somewhat rare combination, similar to naughty dog stuff, of technical and artistic design.

What's on display here is absolutely incredible imho. Also, since the game really isn't an "action" game the sub-60fps isn't bothering me as much as I thought.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda bummed out Rockstar didn't go for a dlss option for rtx cards owners. The TAA really softens the IQ anyway in this game, I would love to see the additional silicon being somewhat used on this title..

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I can't wait till more people get to Saint Denis and realize how utterly broken the game is.

No change in performance for me. My settings are somewhere in this thread, but I think the key is:
1. Don't have an old i5
2. Reduce a few key settings in that graph of the heaviest hitters (MSAA off, TSAA to medium, water quality low, near volumetrics quality high, and something else)
3. Don't have super high expectations with resolution above 1080p
4. Direct mouse input

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really wish the menus were better suited for mouse and keyboard. Looking at items in the satchel requires you to use the keyboard keys to select an item without using it (using the mouse, it highlights the item with a white box, but doesnt show the description). Also some things in the main menu know they have been selected (white border) but should have a red border which means you can click it.

Kind of used to it with R* games really, just annoying.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping that Rockstar and Nvidia have been working on some amazing updates for this week.

Live broadcast from the Nvidia HQ:
giphy.gif

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So I decided to just say fuck it and buy it. Guess I lucked out because I haven't had any launch issues, crashes, or major FPS problems since getting it. Playing on all ultra/high settings at 4k with a resolution scale of 0.834 (5/6), which is basically 1800p and it's nearly a locked 60 fps with very rare minor drops to 58 or 59. I'll say one thing it feels a hell of a lot better to play on PC than it did on Console, which was my main problem with it and why I couldn't play more of an 2-3 hours of it. I've actually been really enjoying it so far and the world is beautiful.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to just say fuck it and buy it. Guess I lucked out because I haven't had any launch issues, crashes, or major FPS problems since getting it. Playing on all ultra/high settings at 4k with a resolution scale of 0.834 (5/6), which is basically 1800p and it's nearly a locked 60 fps with very rare minor drops to 58 or 59. I'll say one thing it feels a hell of a lot better to play on PC than it did on Console, which was my main problem with it and why I couldn't play more of an 2-3 hours of it. I've actually been really enjoying it so far and the world is beautiful.
The game worked fine and did not refuse to start for me until I got 11 hours into it. Give it some time :P

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Was the first place i went to, same performance as the benchmark, walked around the whole town during day and night and the only setting it was giving me problems at night was lighting quality, had to drop it from ultra to high and that was that, locked 60.
No change in performance for me. My settings are somewhere in this thread, but I think the key is:
1. Don't have an old i5
2. Reduce a few key settings in that graph of the heaviest hitters (MSAA off, TSAA to medium, water quality low, near volumetrics quality high, and something else)
3. Don't have super high expectations with resolution above 1080p
4. Direct mouse input

I'm not talking about performance but rather stability.

Had more crashes and problems there then any other place and I played the game perfectly fine just before.

jorimt

Mar 8, 2018
For whatever reason I cannot switch to DX12. I've tried deleting the settings.xml file or whatever, but that does nothing. I'm getting stuttering on my i5-4690k and I've read dx12 can maybe fix that instead of running Vulkan. Any possible way to get dx12 to work?
For it's worth, I found these steps online, and it worked for me (couldn't launch with DX12 previously either):

1. Search "Apps & Features"
2. Click "Optional Features"
3. Click "+ Add a feature"
4. Click "Graphics Tools" > "Install"
5. Relaunch game in DX12

Seems like my system and/or the game was missing some DX12 dependencies (even though my Windows Updates are all installed).

May or may not work in your case, but worth a shot.

Yeah I've got that part. Been messing around and I don't get stable frame times at all with this method. Is the FPS limiter above meant to be 0 while using this method? And on/off in the NVCP? Haven't found any combination that can get 30fps with 33.3ms response time.
Scan Line Sync Guide/Thread, FYI:

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to chapter 2 and walked around Valentine a bit. Few drops to high 40's and the rare drop the mid 40's I'm mostly averaging mid 50's with my setting on my 980ti. I could lower some setting but I'm pretty much content with performance as with GSync on as drops aren't really noticeable enough to me. Nvidia sharpening on the Gforce overlay removes the blurring that results from TAA setting the game uses, which honestly was my biggest problem with the PS4 Prop version so I'm pretty happy so far.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
So is there any solid fix yet for freezing on i5's? Pretty happy with my performance at this point, but still getting a lot of freezes, especially the longer I play.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
For it's worth, I found these steps online, and it worked for me (couldn't launch with DX12 previously either):

1. Search "Apps & Features"
2. Click "Optional Features"
3. Click "+ Add a feature"
4. Click "Graphics Tools" > "Install"
5. Relaunch game in DX12

Seems like my system and/or the game was missing some DX12 dependencies (even though my Windows Updates are all installed).

May or may not work in your case, but worth a shot.

Scan Line Sync Guide/Thread, FYI:
I'll try this when I get home.
Vulcan runs in the low 40s to high 50s but looks awful. Like early 360 games without motion blur. Most likely frame pacing issues.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
I cant believe it..been fighting to even launch the game. Reinstalled. disabled antivirus, deleted settings folder. It's just upsetting "wasting" time on my day off troubleshooting this

byizbWt.jpg

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
I hope the biggest problems will be solved when the game launches on Steam but I really doubt it. I've 3 weeks off in December and actually wanted to fully dive into RDR2... but not in the catastrophic state the game still seems to be.

I guess I play The Outer Worlds, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order and other games from my pile instead. It doesn't feel right supporting Rockstar for this mess.

Last edited:

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I have found a spot I can get the game to crash every single time.

this issue is weird I can reproduce it but requires a very specific world environment in St Denis but only at night and foggy.
Certain areas in the city will crash my game and throw a "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." in the event log.
There are certain areas that this will happen.

When it happens it the screen may fill up with black polygons with crazy geometry then crash, or it will just freeze. I captured a video of the crash coming out the hotel:

and here is the one at the saloon that is repeatable. if I turn down settings this doesn't happen.

this happens 100% of time with these settings (see below)

My GPU is overclocked and watercooled. If I remove the overclock and go to complete stock settings the crash will still happen.

I captured a crash here with GPU View:

running with these settings:
3840 x 2160, 60hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: Yes, Triple: On

Textures: Ultra
Anisotropic: 16x
Lighting: Ultra
Global Illumination: Ultra
Shadows: High
Far Shadows: Ultra
SSAO: High
Reflection: High
Mirror: Ultra
Water: Custom
Volumetrics: Custom
Particles: Ultra
Tessellation: Ultra
FXAA: Off, TAA: Medium, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetrics Quality: Ultra
Far Volumetric Quality: Ultra
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Ultra
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: Off
Particle Lighting Quality: High
Soft Shadows: High
Grass Shadows: Medium
Long Shadows: On
Full resolution SSAO: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: Medium
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: Mode4o5 80%
TAA Sharpen Intensity: 100%
Motion Blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 100%
Grass Level of Detail: 83%
Tree Quality: High
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: High
Fur Quality: High

HDR on but happens with HDR off as show in my videos.

happens both with Vulkan and DX12

In St Denis at night go to the ST Denis Saloon and spin camera around. Always happens here.

Happens elsewhere in ST Denis, but ONLY in St Denis at night.

It is one of the settings if I turn them down the issue doesn't happen. in the 30 hours I have played this crash only happens in St Denis at night.

Happens with RTSS completely disabled as well as enabled.

I have no other crashes in any other games

-
Submitted this to both Nvidia and Rockstar fwiw

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
That's crazy if true, because I was hitting 42+ fps during the benchmark horseback scene, with worse case scenarios dropping down to 32 using close to xbox one x settings and a 1080 Ti + 3700x @ 4k.

Currently using 3440x1440 @ .8 res with a mix of high and ultra seems to work well at the moment.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need some help, just got a new laptop but it's the first time in well over a decade that I've had a PC suitable for playing modern games on and I'm out of my depth with all these options - bought RDR2 and ran the benchmark, it defaulted to 720p and held a reasonable framerate but looked pretty ugly, so I messed with some settings and then the benchmark refused to run. Restored settings to default and, again, the benchmark refused to run.

So, with these specs should I be able to play the game in anything approaching console quality, or should I just give up now and request a refund?

. Intel Core i7-9750h
. Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
. 16gb RAM

Wasn't expecting amazing quality or anything, but the only other game I've tried is Outer Worlds and that runs fine when mostly ramped up to Ultra.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Need some help, just got a new laptop but it's the first time in well over a decade that I've had a PC suitable for playing modern games on and I'm out of my depth with all these options - bought RDR2 and ran the benchmark, it defaulted to 720p and held a reasonable framerate but looked pretty ugly, so I messed with some settings and then the benchmark refused to run. Restored settings to default and, again, the benchmark refused to run.

So, with these specs should I be able to play the game in anything approaching console quality, or should I just give up now and request a refund?

. Intel Core i7-9750h
. Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
. 16gb RAM

Wasn't expecting amazing quality or anything, but the only other game I've tried is Outer Worlds and that runs fine when mostly ramped up to Ultra.
You should easily be able to play at console quality, yeah.

The game is broken tbh

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I was testing the settings and found something interesting. Reflection setting isn't only for the resolution of reflections on windows and stuff like I thought.

You can clearly see the difference in quality on the wooden surface of the wagon. There's also a blue light bounce/reflection on the ceiling of the barn which is more prominent on ultra settings. Global illumination is the same(High) for both screenshots.

ULTRA reflection quality:
XvUoKaV.jpg

LOW reflection quality:
PpTWQHD.jpg

Dictator thoughts?

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Download this http://mion.faireal.net/BES/.
Run it, then run the game, then switch back to it, find RDR2.exe and limit it with -1 or -2.
Also in the OP, yo :P
I cant believe it..been fighting to even launch the game. Reinstalled. disabled antivirus, deleted settings folder. It's just upsetting "wasting" time on my day off troubleshooting this

byizbWt.jpg
Try this. Nothing else has worked for me.
Not sure if you guys have fixed yours, but I have fixed mine. Try disabling all audio enhancements. https://i.imgur.com/xlfeeKA.png
JaseC I believe this fix has not been mentioned anywhere, but this is the only that fixed it for me, worth adding this to the OP if somebody can confirm it works for them too.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
Well just hit my first crash. Was going along well so far in the beginning, but as I was going to Valentine with Uncle for first time/first Uncle missionit Crashed. Happened while I was entering Valentine on the wagon. DX12 everything maxed at 4k.

Will try again tonight to see if keeps crashing.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Yeah I've got that part. Been messing around and I don't get stable frame times at all with this method. Is the FPS limiter above meant to be 0 while using this method? And on/off in the NVCP? Haven't found any combination that can get 30fps with 33.3ms response time.
Yes, keep it at 0. Like I said it's not perfect. One other thing you can try is using this with Fast Sync. Other than that, I have no idea, other than half rate refresh in the CP, but of course that can add considerable lag. Do you find this messes up your loading times with this on as well?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
They can future proof all they want with ultra settings, it won't radically change the overall package, 5 years down the line and revisiting this with a better rig you'll appreciate the performance boost but you're kidding yourself if you think the game won't feel dated by then.
Yeah I made this point earlier as well. I don't get the 'future proofing' argument, in 5 years this game is going to look dated - having the ability to run it with slightly more volumetric light bleed and more water ripples will not change that.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now my game stutters a lot, and the mouse pointer is back, but I can play it without it crashing. Besides the DX12 api just not working, ot seems like all my issues are inconsistent. I hope they have a patch coming out soon.