• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
TAA bring it down to medium, the difference between high and medium is not noticeable IMO and can give you a few frames.
Bet, thanks!

edit - reposting my setup for the new page:

My setup:
Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 mobo
OC'd i5 6600k with the process lasso fix enabled
+200 core +600 memory GTX 1070 (8GB)
1440p resolution, Vulkan renderer, Gsync enabled, Vsync On, latest nVidia drivers, 58-60+fps now just from turning TAA to med! mid-high 40's in towns

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 60hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: Yes, Triple: On

Textures: Ultra
Anisotropic: 16x
Lighting: High
Global Illumination: High
Shadows: High
Far Shadows: High
SSAO: Medium
Reflection: Low
Mirror: High
Water: Medium
Volumetrics: Medium
Particles: Medium
Tessellation: High
FXAA: On, TAA: Medium, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetrics Quality: Medium
Far Volumetric Quality: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: Off
Particle Lighting Quality: Medium
Soft Shadows: High
Grass Shadows: Medium
Long Shadows: On
Full resolution SSAO: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: Medium
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpen Intensity: 100%
Motion Blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 79%
Grass Level of Detail: 41%
Tree Quality: High
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: High
Fur Quality: Medium

Generated on 2019-11-11 16:16 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://bit.ly/2oZlIuy)

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Are you using Direct Input or Raw?

I noticed scrollilng is worse on Direct Input and easier on Raw for me.
For me, on raw input, those map zoom feel much better, on DirectInput I have to spin countless times just to zoom out a little.
I must use DirectInput because Raw input gives horrible camera stutter while sprinting (holding down shift) on Vulkan.

I think I will just use the controller. Those little quirks are really annoying.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
It sure is fun hunting 3 star wildlife for 30 minutes only for Red Dead Online to fucking crash for the 10th time today.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Here's what I'll probably keep using, maybe try and tweak a little more. If I turn vsync off, I lose about 10-15fps for some reason. The way it's listed now, I am at 60-80fps anywhere I go. Hasn't dropped below 60 yet.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 144hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: Yes, Triple: On

Lighting: Ultra
Far Shadows: Ultra
SSAO: Ultra
Reflection: High
Mirror: Ultra
Water: Custom
Volumetrics: Custom
Particles: High
Tessellation: High
FXAA: On, TAA: High, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetrics Quality: High
Far Volumetric Quality: High
Volumetric Lighting Quality: High
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: Ultra
Soft Shadows: Ultra
Grass Shadows: High
Water Refraction Quality: High
Water Reflection Quality: High
Water Physics Quality: 100%
Motion Blur: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 100%
Grass Level of Detail: 100%
Tree Quality: Ultra
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: Ultra
Decal Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: High

Generated on 2019-11-11 17:4 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://bit.ly/2oZlIuy)

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
What's the best possible settings for getting the highest possible IQ on a 1080ti at 30fps solid lock @4k native without having to use the resolution scale.

Is it even possible?

I currently have it locked to 30fps with everything maxed at 4k but have to bring the resolution slider down to 3/4 and as you can imagine, it leaves a rather soft looking image.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
For it's worth, I found these steps online, and it worked for me (couldn't launch with DX12 previously either):

1. Search "Apps & Features"
2. Click "Optional Features"
3. Click "+ Add a feature"
4. Click "Graphics Tools" > "Install"
5. Relaunch game in DX12

Seems like my system and/or the game was missing some DX12 dependencies (even though my Windows Updates are all installed).

May or may not work in your case, but worth a shot.

Scan Line Sync Guide/Thread, FYI:

Yeah I did some research on it and it seems pretty complex.

Yes, keep it at 0. Like I said it's not perfect. One other thing you can try is using this with Fast Sync. Other than that, I have no idea, other than half rate refresh in the CP, but of course that can add considerable lag. Do you find this messes up your loading times with this on as well?

Yeah if I use RTSS to lock to 30 for this game the initial load takes forever. Same thing with Dishonoured 2.

Using half scanlone the game just constantly moves from 33.6 to 34.6ms, not smooth. The best method I've tried is still half vsync but that has pretty awful input lag.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone managed to get a Switch Pro controller working? The camera moves, but no other inputs work...currently playing with WASD and the right stick lol.

With Outer Worlds I just had to add it as a non-steam game and the controller worked perfectly, but RDR2 insists on being launched through Epic, while adding the Rockstar Launcher as a non-steam game just results in an unexpected error when RDR2 tries to launch.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Anyone managed to get a Switch Pro controller working? The camera moves, but no other inputs work...currently playing with WASD and the right stick lol.

With Outer Worlds I just had to add it as a non-steam game and the controller worked perfectly, but RDR2 insists on being launched through Epic, while adding the Rockstar Launcher as a non-steam game just results in an unexpected error when RDR2 tries to launch.

I don't know how it goes with Epic store in this case, but the way I got my Steam Controller working is by using GloSC to add the Rockstar Launcher to Steam. If it was added directly the game would just crash. So maybe try adding the Rockstar Launcher or Epic Store via GloSC.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Yeah I did some research on it and it seems pretty complex.

Yeah if I use RTSS to lock to 30 for this game the initial load takes forever. Same thing with Dishonoured 2.

Using half scanlone the game just constantly moves from 33.6 to 34.6ms, not smooth. The best method I've tried is still half vsync but that has pretty awful input lag.
Bear in mind the way Rivatuner measures frametimes it's not always going to be accurate with what you see on screen, to get a truly perfect analysis of the frametimes you're really seeing on the screen needs something like FCAT. It's better than nothing, but for example according to Rivatuner, Shadow of the Tomb Raider should be a stuttery mess with its frame rate limiter, but it's actually a perfectly smooth 30fps. Other games Rivatuner reports perfectly smooth 33.3 ms in every frame, but it's not actually the case. So are you seeing these stutters that RT is reporting?

Have you tried Nvidia's Low/Ultra latency with the half rate refresh? Still not as responsive as RT IME but it can help.

Again I hate this hassle of getting a proper 30fps frame pacing on PC. I can get it the majority of the time and in many cases with less input lag than the same game on my PS4, but damn does it take a lot of trial and error sometimes. I would like to see DF call out devs when they put in crappy 30fps caps more often, they at least even comprehend playing at a locked 30fps on PC on occasion, no other PC benchmarking site would touch it as they just assume everyone is playing on a free/gsync display (which I will when HDMI 2.1 VRR's TV's come out, but even then the majority might have variable refresh ranges only kick in past 40hz, so this may still be needed).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Bear in mind the way Rivatuner measures frametimes it's not always going to be accurate with what you see on screen, to get a truly perfect analysis of the frametimes you're really seeing on the screen needs something like FCAT. It's better than nothing, but for example according to Rivatuner, Shadow of the Tomb Raider should be a stuttery mess with its frame rate limiter, but it's actually a perfectly smooth 30fps. Other games Rivatuner reports perfectly smooth 33.3 ms in every frame, but it's not actually the case. So are you seeing these stutters that RT is reporting?

Have you tried Nvidia's Low/Ultra latency with the half rate refresh? Still not as responsive as RT IME but it can help.

Again I hate this hassle. I would like to see DF call out devs when they put in crappy 30fps caps more often.

Yeah it has that typical skipped frame feeling when panning the camera or running fast.

I'm using Ultra Latency too just to make sure. It's playable but sluggish and the motion clarity is very poor.

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
For me the problem with the map is that when I click and hold and move map left/right/up/down, all city markers are missplaced and appears in totally different are of the map. Same happen when I zoom in or zoom out. Anyone have/had the same problem?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Yeah it has that typical skipped frame feeling when panning the camera or running fast.

I'm using Ultra Latency too just to make sure. It's playable but sluggish and the motion clarity is very poor.
Ah ok. What do you mean the 'motion clarity' is very poor? I would think outside of skips, all 30fps lock methods will have the same degree of motion clarity, that's at least in my experience.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Ah ok. What do you mean the 'motion clarity' is very poor? I would think outside of skips, all 30fps lock methods will have the same degree of motion clarity, that's at least in my experience.

It's probably just this game running at 30, it looks awful in motion when panning the camera. Worse than other games and worse than what I remember on the X.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone getting frame drops especially in St. Denis? They are always in the same locations, seems like they happen when a new area of the town is being loaded, e.g. the harbor part. I think this is more of a CPU issue?
Don't know how to get rid of them in Vulkan or DX12.

Otherwise I am getting constant 60 fps with Vsync at 1800p (2080 TI/9900K) almost everything on high, and some stuff on Ultra.

Really the only part where the game drops slightly below 60 is in St. Denis at night. Only switching Lighting from High to Medium gets me back above 60. Changing AO, water or volumetrics to medium does almost nothing there In terms of performance there.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rdr2ufk1f.png

I don't know how it goes with Epic store in this case, but the way I got my Steam Controller working is by using GloSC to add the Rockstar Launcher to Steam. If it was added directly the game would just crash. So maybe try adding the Rockstar Launcher or Epic Store via GloSC.

Thank you! This worked a treat, although the taskbar won't go away for some reason, but better than nothing :)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
@Queen Of Hunting Try this

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best possible settings for getting the highest possible IQ on a 1080ti at 30fps solid lock @4k native without having to use the resolution scale.

Is it even possible?

I currently have it locked to 30fps with everything maxed at 4k but have to bring the resolution slider down to 3/4 and as you can imagine, it leaves a rather soft looking image.
Have you tried using the nvidia sharpening filter to counter the softness?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably just this game running at 30, it looks awful in motion when panning the camera. Worse than other games and worse than what I remember on the X.

The motion clarity is poor because of TAA. The reason it doesn't look as bad on the X is the resolution. The higher the resolution, the lessening of the TAA motion effect. Anything less than 4k resolution on PC is going to have this problem.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The motion clarity is poor because of TAA. The reason it doesn't look as bad on the X is the resolution. The higher the resolution, the lessening of the TAA motion effect. Anything less than 4k resolution on PC is going to have this problem.

I'm running it downsampled from 1620p back to 1080p and it still looks awful, don't think it helps much if at all.

Disabling TAA just introduces a whole myriad of other issues, don't think they designed the game to run without it all.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
At times I feel I have to play in 4K because enemies will blend/blur into the scenery too easily otherwise

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I never really understood what people were talking about when they mentioned motion clarity till I enabled the setting on my oled that doubles the refresh rate and inserts black frames. It makes a huge difference in image clarity. I can't play games without it now. Disabling it in RDR2 makes every thing blurry, regardless of TXAA.

Also, I found that most of my stuttering and performance issues went away when I used the ingame vsync. It also seems like HDR looks better too.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I never really understood what people were talking about when they mentioned motion clarity till I enabled the setting on my oled that doubles the refresh rate and inserts black frames. It makes a huge difference in image clarity. I can't play games without it now. Disabling it in RDR2 makes every thing blurry, regardless of TXAA.

Also, I found that most of my stuttering and performance issues went away when I used the ingame vsync.
Wish this was the case for me :(

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The crashing in online is actually disgusting. They shouldn't have let us play the game in this state. I'm about to throw my mouse through the goddamn monitor

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm running it downsampled from 1620p back to 1080p and it still looks awful, don't think it helps much if at all.

Disabling TAA just introduces a whole myriad of other issues, don't think they designed the game to run without it all.
There's something really wrong with your game then, I'm running native 3440x1400 with TAA on medium and a little bit of sharpening and it looks absolutely amazing. Can you post a screenshot of how it looks on your PC?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

Also, I found that most of my stuttering and performance issues went away when I used the ingame vsync. It also seems like HDR looks better too.
Yeah, that's part of the reason why CRTs look so good in motion.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's part of the reason why CRTs look so good in motion.

Even digital foundry has come around on this.

The dream will live on the perfect flat panel for gaming.

We don't have good resolution scaling but someone has to be crazy enough to aim for the benefits of gsync and ulmb with good color in one package.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
After going back and forth over it, I finally just capped the frame rate at 30 and turned all the settings up to ultra. I'll take the lower frame rate for the improved visuals. This looks so damn good compared to what I remember on PS4.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
For it's worth, I found these steps online, and it worked for me (couldn't launch with DX12 previously either):

5. Relaunch game in DX12

Seems like my system and/or the game was missing some DX12 dependencies (even though my Windows Updates are all installed).

May or may not work in your case, but worth a shot.

Scan Line Sync Guide/Thread, FYI:
Thank you so much for sharing I had one 3 second hang in my 30mins play session. It played really smoothed and was enjoying myself quite a bit...then it crashed :(

Weird that windows didn't automatically download that dx12 add on and also weird it wasn't needed for me to run metro Exodus earlier this year which is also dx12 ?????

Oct 27, 2017

5. Relaunch game in DX12

This worked for me in getting DX12 to launch for the first time and I ran the benchmark just fine. Need to get some extended gameplay in to see if this is more stable than Vulkan.

Former. I can get into settings and change it to dx12 but then I get an error asking me to launch in safe mode via rockstar and that does nothing.

You should give the (possible) solution a try in the above quote.

Last edited:

jorimt

Mar 8, 2018
Shaquille Hunter & MythicReclaimer, glad to hear it allowed both of you to launch in DX12, and Shaquille Hunter, honestly, yeah, I have no clue either as to why it won't launch (for some) if that option isn't installed, and why it's needed for this game in this instance, and not for others (maybe this game is missing a minor dependency for DX12 that other games are not).

Go figure.

Though I'm guessing this is one of the issues that will most likely be addressed (along with quirks such as the fixed center-screen mouse cursor) sooner than later via patch(es).

As for the seemingly random crashes, the erratic frame pacing of unlocked/variable framerates (even with capable CPUs), the apparent occasional incomplete texture streaming, and the seemingly poor scaling of (not all, but) key graphical settings, I won't entirely count it out, but I'm not holding my breath on those being addressed in the short term.

EDIT: By the way, for fairness/reference, I went back and found where I originally discovered this fix:

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I got 3 fps from lowering TAA to medium, and if there is a difference it's really hard to tell.

The difference in still shots is pretty imperceptible from what I've seen, but it becomes obvious in motion. There's a lot more temporal blur on Medium from what I've seen.

It's still probably the best setting to drop at that point though. I'd try lowering water physics to 25% as well to see if it helps. Personally, I find the physics at 50% distractingly bad. 25% looks more natural to me.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Using Vulkan and noticed a strange thing where holding down Ctrl or Shift seems to halve the frame pacing. Framerate doesn't get affected, at least not according to my RTSS display, but it definitely seems to stutter a lot when moving the camera. Anyone else notice this? Does it happen on DX12 too?

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Using Vulkan and noticed a strange thing where holding down Ctrl or Shift seems to halve the frame pacing. Framerate doesn't get affected, at least not according to my RTSS display, but it definitely seems to stutter a lot when moving the camera. Anyone else notice this? Does it happen on DX12 too?
Change mouse input from raw input to direct input.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Yeah I kinda wish I had researched that more when I got my 55" Vizio, albeit I got it largely as a "hold over" for 2-3 years until VRR sets hit so I went the cheap route. The black frame insertion makes a noticeable difference in clairty, but it's not a great implementation -definite flicker and lower contrast. I would keep it on all the time if this wasn't the case.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I have a 9900k and 2080ti and when maxing all (in 1440p) it stutters like crazy, at least in the snow area in the start.

But lowering MSAA make the experience much better, used this:

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone with an RX 5700 XT try this out yet? How was your experience and settings?

It performs brilliantly, beating the 1080Ti and running neck and neck with the 2080. To me that's absurd considering the price disparity between those cards. I suspect this might change with driver updates. But, for now it's performing beautifully paired with a 2600X (on slightly higher than Xbox One X settings) at 3400 x 1440 for me.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 1440p 60 fps V3 balanced visuals and performance (for GTX 1080 Ti and equivalents)

I have extensively tested the settings in Red Dead Redemption 2 at 1440p, and have measured the performance impacts of the settings in the menu besides Texture Quality (TQ) which I have set to Ultra, and Anisotropic Filtering. I did this all the way down to their lowest settings.
From my testing, I have created my own configuration for the game and have even combined what I have learned from Alex's findings of Red Dead Redemption 2 on the Xbox One X into it, I also believe that I have identified two major bottlenecks for performance, these relate to foliage and fire effects at campfires.

So far, I think these are the best settings I have found, as they they enable me to target 1440p 60 fps on my GTX 1080 Ti fairly well, but it can dip to the 50 fps range in the worst case scenarios, most notably in those situations where you may encounter the "bottlenecks" I will mention below, or even when executing Dead Eye with multiple targets as I have observed performance dips in those scenarios as well.

I think these settings could be beneficial for cards that deliver similar performance to my own, such as the RTX 2070 and RX 5700 XT based on benchmarks from Gamers Nexus, TechSpot (Hardware Unboxed) and Digital Foundry.
However, due to things such as architectural differences I'm curious to hear how these settings would perform on such GPUs, perhaps they would need to be dialled down, or they could headroom for further improvements. I highly recommend backing up your own settings, or taking screenshots of them before using my own!

I have spent a lot of time examining the performance difference between the settings in the most demanding scenarios, and have wrestled the game for almost every frame I could after observing performance impacts from settings that could significantly compromise the performance. Based on my testing I have created an optimized configuration for this, which attempts to push the graphical settings as high as they go without signficant compromises to performance. It even has some settings that are higher than those found in the Xbox One X equivalent settings, while I have reduced others such as as the Grass Draw Distance, Geometry Draw Distance and Water Refraction in the pursuit of more performance.

I'm convinced that I have hit a wall in terms of performance, as I had found that reducing some settings would hardly improve the performance, if at all. This occurred to such an extent that I was able to raise the graphical settings with minimal to no easily measurable performance hit on my PC. My initial settings had a lot of headroom, and combining them with Alex's findings really helped me as I was able to improve the visuals, and dial back other settings such as Reflections which I think has relieved some of the GPU time for me to improve things elsewhere.

Performance bottlenecks and scalability issues

On the topic of the two major bottlenecks I mentioned, In some situations, no matter what setting I reduced (excluding Texture Quality and Anistrophic Filtering) I found that standing inside foliage would incur a significant hit to performance, staring at campfires would also do this as well. I worked my way up from the lowest settings and continued to raise them until the game would incur a notable performance hit. To my surprise, I even discovered that when standing inside foliage, increasing the Geometry Level of Detail setting to 4, from 0 could improve performance by around 4% I don't know why this is the case.

There was also another scenario where I was looking at a landscape sprawling with foliage, in this particular scene I obsered performance dips down to around 60-61 fps, I attempted to optimize my settings to improve my performance here, and even reduced them to the lowest they could go, in doing so the frame rate went up-to around 67 fps, which is around 10% more performance from reducing settings to the lowest available options in the menu such as: Shadow Quality, Far Shadow Quality, Volumetric Far and Near Resoultion, Soft Shadows, SSAO... It gets to a point where you're sacrificng everything to gain 10% more performance, which leads me to think that these settings are not what's limiting the performance in these scenarios, but something that we either can't change in the menu, or doesn't go low enough that is consuming GPU time.

Lastly, campfires. No matter what setting I changed, looking closely at them would incur a performance hit, down to around 54-55 fps. I've obsered this in Saint Denis, Rhodes and even my own campfire I set up near Cattail Pond. Even after reducing settings such as the shadow quality settings, volumetric effects, lighting and global Ilumination to their lowest possible in the menu I had barely scrapped my frame rate target of 60 fps, so I decided it wasn't worth it and raised them, as it seemed like I wasn't signficantly compromise the performance by doing so.

From these scenarios I encountered, I theorise that this game has scalability issues relating to fire effects and foliage. Perhaps a setting isn't exposed to the options menu, or the game is just in need of a patch to improve things in this area or a driver update.

From these situations, I chose to raise my graphical settings until there were notable performance impacts, I've tested many locations but I may have missed something because there are many variables at play in this game. Perhaps use my settings as a base to build upon, and reduce things or raise them from there if you desire.

One particular scenario of this figurative wall would be when a campfire was on screen, I had consistent dips to the 54-55 fps range in Saint Denis and what I think was a farm in Rhodes, even after reducing settings such as the shadow quality settings, volumetric effects, lighting and global Ilumination to their lowest in game settings I had barely scrapped my frame rate target of 60 fps, this is the wall I was talking about, it just refused to scale further until basically everything was at their lowest setting, at that point you've basically sacrificed everything to gain 5 frames per second (10% more performance), this is what lead me to increase the settings further as it seemed that I wasn't significantly compromising the performance, as something else was limiting it substantially more regardless of what I had these set to.

I've performed numerous stress tests in Saint Denis under a variety of different weather conditions and during the day and night time.
I performed these stress tests by riding through Saint Danis and causing absolute chaos. I have witnessed minimum frame rates in the 50 fps range during this, most notably when executing Dead Eye and targeting people.

V3 Settings

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 144hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: No, Triple: Off

Lighting: Medium
Far Shadows: Medium
SSAO: Medium
Reflection: Low
Mirror: Ultra
Water: Custom
Volumetrics: Custom
Particles: Low
Tessellation: Ultra
FXAA: On, TAA: Medium, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetrics Quality: Medium
Far Volumetric Quality: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: Off
Particle Lighting Quality: Ultra
Soft Shadows: Medium
Grass Shadows: Low
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: Medium
Water Physics Quality: 25%
Motion Blur: On
Geometry Level of Detail: 79%
Grass Level of Detail: 25%
Tree Quality: Low
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: Medium

Generated on 2019-11-12 6:55 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://bit.ly/2oZlIuy)

Some notes on my experiences and performance regarding settings

DX12 - The game crashed out the ass within an hour of play, fuck this. (At-least on my GTX 1080 Ti)

I chose to set Lighting to Medium instead of High as I have observed performance impacts of around 20% depending on the lighting conditions in the game, for example. In a particular scene at Saint Denis I observed a 13 fps drop, from 70 fps down to 57 fps, this is pretty heavy to say the least.

Reflection - I've set this to Low because this eats frames even when I see no reflections, it's also the closest Xbox One X equivalent setting.

Particle Quality - I've set this to Low, I haven't been able to properly test this setting but I have noticed notable frame rate hits when fire spreads on medium. Since this, I've set it to Low, but haven't been able to examine the performance hit of it as of yet.

Global Illumination is set to High instead of Ultra because I was able to measure a performance impact of around 1-2% at one point IIRC.

Shadow - In the scenes I tested, Shadow Quality had a minimal impact on performance when comparing Medium to High, so I chose to stick with High, however this may different depending on the GPU.
Far Shadow - I've noticed slight performance hits from setting it higher than this so i chose medium. Perhaps try lowering this and the Shadow Quality setting together if you want more performance.

Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution - I haven't observed a performance impact from enabling this besides the 144 fps of my mouse cursor on my desktop when the game inevitably crashes on Vulkan upon loading into story mode. Maybe it will work for you but the only thing I see is my desktop when I try to load into story mode.

Volumetric Effects - I've left these at Medium, so far this setting seems this appear to offer decent performance at Medium, if you encounter frame rate drops in fog or perhaps cloudy weather conditions try dropping them all to the lowest and working your way up.

Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality - I was once able to observe a performance impact of around 1-2% IIRC but I have had a hard time measuring this since. I thought High was a decent trade off between performance and visuals.

Fur Quality - I've obsered up to 6% performance impacts, so I've left mine on medium.

Geometry Level of Detail - Draw distance, pretty significant visual impact. Performance impact is notable too but I would argue its worth it to some degree, try and have it on the first setting or whatever you're comfortable with, I have it at 9 (89%)
Grass Level of Detail - Notable performance impacts if you set this above 2/10

Water Physics - If you want to see a magic trick, set this to 5/5. Otherwise, leave it between 1-4. 1 for best performance while still maintaining most of the physics simulation.

Tessellation - I have been unable to measure a performance impact from this, perhaps be cautious of this on older GCN GPUs which have notably weaker Tessellation capabilities than more recent AMD GPUs.

Decal - I haven't been able to measure a performance impact from this.

Water Refraction and Reflection - Notable performance impacts from these settings, I would recommend leaving them at Medium, but if you have the headroom or don't mind a slight hit to frame rate try using the High refraction setting when looking at water.

I think Cattail Pond is a good location to test this, on the map its West of Valentine.

Tree Quality - I think the High setting is a decent compromise.

I'll try to get to upload a video of how my V3 settings perform when I can.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
so basically, 140+ fps introduces stuttering, much like 187+ fps did in GTA 5.
Capping fps at 120 is recommended.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 1440p 60 fps V3 balanced visuals and performance (for GTX 1080 Ti and equivalents)

I have extensively tested the settings in Red Dead Redemption 2 at 1440p, and have measured the performance impacts of the settings in the menu besides Texture Quality (TQ) which I have set to Ultra, and Anisotropic Filtering. I did this all the way down to their lowest settings.
From my testing, I have created my own configuration for the game and have even combined what I have learned from Alex's findings of Red Dead Redemption 2 on the Xbox One X into it, I also believe that I have identified two major bottlenecks for performance, these relate to foliage and fire effects at campfires.

So far, I think these are the best settings I have found, as they they enable me to target 1440p 60 fps on my GTX 1080 Ti fairly well, but it can dip to the 50 fps range in the worst case scenarios, most notably in those situations where you may encounter the "bottlenecks" I will mention below, or even when executing Dead Eye with multiple targets as I have obsered performance dips in those scenarios as well.

I think these settings could be beneficial for cards that deliver similar performance to my own, such as the RTX 2070 and RX 5700 XT based on benchmarks from Gamers Nexus, TechSpot (Hardware Unboxed) and Digital Foundry.
However, due to things such as architectural differences I'm curious to hear how these settings would perform on such GPUs, perhaps they would need to be dialled down, or they could headroom for further improvements.

I have spent a lot of time examining the performance difference between the settings in the most demanding scenarios, and have wrestled the game for almost every frame I could after observing performance impacts from settings that could significantly compromise the performance. Based on my testing I have created an optimized configuration for this, which attempts to push the graphical settings as high as they go without signficant compromises to performance. It even has some settings that are higher than those found in the Xbox One X equivalent settings, while I have reduced others such as as the Grass Draw Distance, Geometry Draw Distance and Water Refraction in the pursuit of more performance.

I'm convinced that I have hit a wall in terms of performance, as I had found that reducing some settings would hardly improve the performance, if at all. This occurred to such an extent that I was able to raise the graphical settings with minimal to no easily measurable performance hit on my PC. My initial settings had a lot of headroom, and combining them with Alex's findings really helped me as I was able to improve the visuals, and dial back other settings such as Reflections which I think has relieved some of the GPU time for me to improve things elsewhere.

Performance bottlenecks and scalability issues

On the topic of the two major bottlenecks I mentioned, In some situations, no matter what setting I reduced (excluding Texture Quality and Anistrophic Filtering) I found that standing inside foliage would incur a significant hit to performance, staring at campfires would also do this as well. I worked my way up from the lowest settings and continued to raise them until the game would incur a notable performance hit. To my surprise, I even discovered that when standing inside foliage, increasing the Geometry Level of Detail setting to 4, from 0 could improve performance by around 4% I don't know why this is the case.

There was also another scenario where I was looking at a landscape sprawling with foliage, in this particular scene I obsered performance dips down to around 60-61 fps, I attempted to optimize my settings to improve my performance here, and even reduced them to the lowest they could go, in doing so the frame rate went up-to around 67 fps, which is around 10% more performance from reducing settings to the lowest available options in the menu such as: Shadow Quality, Far Shadow Quality, Volumetric Far and Near Resoultion, Soft Shadows, SSAO... It gets to a point where you're sacrificng everything to gain 10% more performance, which leads me to think that these settings are not what's limiting the performance in these scenarios, but something that we either can't change in the menu, or doesn't go low enough that is consuming GPU time.

Lastly, campfires. No matter what setting I changed, looking closely at them would incur a performance hit, down to around 54-55 fps. I've obsered this in Saint Denis, Rhodes and even my own campfire I set up near Cattail Pond. Even after reducing settings such as the shadow quality settings, volumetric effects, lighting and global Ilumination to their lowest possible in the menu I had barely scrapped my frame rate target of 60 fps, so I decided it wasn't worth it and raised them, as it seemed like I wasn't signficantly compromise the performance by doing so.

From these scenarios I encountered, I theorise that this game has scalability issues relating to fire effects and foliage. Perhaps a setting isn't exposed to the options menu, or the game is just in need of a patch to improve things in this area or a driver update.

From these situations, I chose to raise my graphical settings until there were notable performance impacts, I've tested many locations but I may have missed something because there are many variables at play in this game. Perhaps use my settings as a base to build upon, and reduce things or raise them from there if you desire.

One particular scenario of this figurative wall would be when a campfire was on screen, I had consistent dips to the 54-55 fps range in Saint Denis and what I think was a farm in Rhodes, even after reducing settings such as the shadow quality settings, volumetric effects, lighting and global Ilumination to their lowest in game settings I had barely scrapped my frame rate target of 60 fps, this is the wall I was talking about, it just refused to scale further until basically everything was at their lowest setting, at that point you've basically sacrificed everything to gain 5 frames per second (10% more performance), this is what lead me to increase the settings further as it seemed that I wasn't significantly compromising the performance, as something else was limiting it substantially more regardless of what I had these set to.

I've performed numerous stress tests in Saint Denis under a variety of different weather conditions and during the day and night time.
I performed these stress tests by riding through Saint Danis and causing absolute chaos. I have witnessed minimum frame rates in the 50 fps range during this, most notably when executing Dead Eye and targeting people.

V3 Settings

Some notes on my experiences and performance regarding settings

DX12 - The game crashed out the ass within an hour of play, fuck this. (At-least on my GTX 1080 Ti)

I chose to set Lighting to Medium instead of High as I have observed performance impacts of around 20% depending on the lighting conditions in the game, for example. In a particular scene at Saint Denis I observed a 13 fps drop, from 70 fps down to 57 fps, this is pretty heavy to say the least.

Reflection - I've set this to Low because this eats frames even when I see no reflections, it's also the closest Xbox One X equivalent setting.

Particle Quality - I've set this to Low, I haven't been able to properly test this setting but I have noticed notable frame rate hits when fire spreads on medium. Since this, I've set it to Low, but haven't been able to examine the performance hit of it as of yet.

Global Illumination is set to High instead of Ultra because I was able to measure a performance impact of around 1-2% at one point IIRC.

Shadow - In the scenes I tested, Shadow Quality had a minimal impact on performance when comparing Medium to High, so I chose to stick with High, however this may different depending on the GPU.
Far Shadow - I've noticed slight performance hits from setting it higher than this so i chose medium. Perhaps try lowering this and the Shadow Quality setting together if you want more performance.

Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution - I haven't observed a performance impact from enabling this besides the 144 fps of my mouse cursor on my desktop when the game inevitably crashes on Vulkan upon loading into story mode. Maybe it will work for you but the only thing I see is my desktop when I try to load into story mode.

Volumetric Effects - I've left these at Medium, so far this setting seems this appear to offer decent performance at Medium, if you encounter frame rate drops in fog or perhaps cloudy weather conditions try dropping them all to the lowest and working your way up.

Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality - I was once able to observe a performance impact of around 1-2% IIRC but I have had a hard time measuring this since. I thought High was a decent trade off between performance and visuals.

Fur Quality - I've obsered up to 6% performance impacts, so I've left mine on medium.

Geometry Level of Detail - Draw distance, pretty significant visual impact. Performance impact is notable too but I would argue its worth it to some degree, try and have it on the first setting or whatever you're comfortable with, I have it at 9 (89%)
Grass Level of Detail - Notable performance impacts if you set this above 2/10

Water Physics - If you want to see a magic trick, set this to 5/5. Otherwise, leave it between 1-4. 1 for best performance while still maintaining most of the physics simulation.

Tessellation - I have been unable to measure a performance impact from this, perhaps be cautious of this on older GCN GPUs which have notably weaker Tessellation capabilities than more recent AMD GPUs.

Decal - I haven't been able to measure a performance impact from this.

Water Refraction and Reflection - Notable performance impacts from these settings, I would recommend leaving them at Medium, but if you have the headroom or don't mind a slight hit to frame rate try using the High refraction setting when looking at water.

I think Cattail Pond is a good location to test this, on the map its West of Valentine.

Tree Quality - I think the High setting is a decent compromise.

I'll try to get to upload a video of how my V3 settings perform when I can.

Great writeup! I have to try some of these as my current custom settings (mostly a mix of high and ultra, water physics at halfway) settings are somewhere between 40-50 fps at 5120x1440 with a 2080 Ti. My game crashes on both Vulkan and DX12 at the moment so I'm probably going to shelve it in the next few days and leave it pending for patches. Can't get through the mission where Hosea leads you to town to show the horse stable mechanic. Tried an older 440.97 driver too and it did nothing to help the situation so I'm guessing this is on Rockstar's bullshit.

If there ever was a game that could use screenshots depicting the differences between settings and their framerate impact, it's this one.

On another note, I tried the ultrawide fix mod with this game and this would be so much better without the stupid black bars in cutscenes. There is zero reason to have them, it would be more immersive so I suggest everyone to complain about it to Rockstar so they might add a toggle for that.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna do more to see if I can get rid of my hithcing issues tomorrow, didn't have the issue when I ran the benchmark in DX12 but then DX12 stopped working for me until I stopped trying to cap the frame rate with Rivatuner, it's most defintely not caused by the frame rate hitting a 140+FPS limit since it's happening even when the game is capped to 30 typically during cutscenes or NPC dialog during a mission.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Just saw this. It'd be interesting to know people in this tread who complained about the multiple seconds of stutter on i5 processors were just desperately running the game on low without vsync or GN was simply unable to reproduce this issue. Or did it just get patched since?

GN talks about 2 different stutters ,one being caused by not having enough threads (as demonstrated with i5 7600k footage in the video) and one caused by having too much fps, mainly prevelant on high end intel cpu's.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017

It's a program that turns your Steam Controller into an xinput controller and makes it work in any game if it supports the Steam overlay or not. You could even tie your controller config to notepad and launch that before the game and it'd work, but the Rockstar Launcher makes the most sense as it needs to be open anyways.