• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's likely that the update failed and Windows tried to install the driver from WU which is a DCH one with WinStore CPL these days. Happened to me a couple of times.

Uninstall anything related to NV driver from Apps, download DDU, disable network adapter, reboot into safe mode, clean with DDU, reboot, run the 440.20 installer again, enable network adapter. Isn't it just great when MS just silently install stuff in Windows 10?

Or, as others said, you've downloaded the DCH installer in the first place.

Ah this looks like it, shortly after it said they were installed, I started up a game, and the screen flickered with the device connected sound. Checking the driver version its way off the one I thought GFE installed. That explains it, thanks :)

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So after updating to the latest Nvidia driver (wanted that Vulkan G-Sync fix) the game now crashes upon loading my save file if I am running Vulkan. If I launch it in DX12 it'll work fine (same save file) but Vulkan now crashes for some unknown reason.

Event Viewer shows the Nvidia driver is failing and then recovering (Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.)

I've tried deleting the shader cache for the game and have it regenerate them, no change.
I've done a Verify Game Files via the Rockstar Games Launcher, no change.
I've tried launching the game in it's Safe Mode from the Rockstar Games Launcher, no change.

This is a fresh install of 441.20 after an uninstall of the prior driver in Safe Mode via DDU. I have not yet attempted to rollback to the prior driver but may do that next.

EDIT: Can load the benchmark without any issue in Vulkan, just can't load my save. Will do some further testing.
EDIT #2: Deleting entire Red Dead Redemption II folder from Documents made no difference.
EDIT #3: Rolling back the driver did not resolve the issue. That may have just been coincidental timing then.

Last edited:

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
So after updating to the latest Nvidia driver (wanted that Vulkan G-Sync fix) the game now crashes upon loading my save file if I am running Vulkan. If I launch it in DX12 it'll work fine (same save file) but Vulkan now crashes for some unknown reason.

Event Viewer shows the Nvidia driver is failing and then recovering (Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.)

I've tried deleting the shader cache for the game and have it regenerate them, no change.
I've done a Verify Game Files via the Rockstar Games Launcher, no change.
I've tried launching the game in it's Safe Mode from the Rockstar Games Launcher, no change.

This is a fresh install of 441.20 after an uninstall of the prior driver in Safe Mode via DDU. I have not yet attempted to rollback to the prior driver but may do that next.

Exactly my problem from last week, it ran fine in dx12 but in vulkan insta crash while loading, the only way I managed to fix this problem was a driver reinstall and deleting the rdr2 folder from docs

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
So there seems to be a vignette effect at the edges of the screen or especially noticeable to me at top of screen. Is there a way to disable that?

This is going to sound stupid, but I turned my TV's brightness up. It helps with the top portion of the screen that is filled up with the sky. I don't see it so much anymore. I still see it at the bottom of the screen, but its easier to convince myself that it is shadows. It helps somewhat.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
What "Vulkan G-Sync fix"?

Fixed Issues

• [Red Dead Redemption 2][Vulkan][Maxwell GPUs]: Geometry corruption occurs on some Maxwell GPUs. [2744709]
  • [Red Dead Redemption 2][Vulkan]: G-SYNC disengages when disabling V-Sync on the game. [2740479]
  • [The Surge 2] VULKAN_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST when using driver version 440.97. [2739146]
  • [Quake 3 Arena]: Colors in the game become washed out when set to 16-bit color. [2738607]
  • [HDR]: HDR black levels are grey on LG OLED55C9. [2738708]
  • [CS:GO]: The game experiences performance drops in certain CPU-limited cases. [2682973]

Known Issues

• [SLI][Red dead redemption 2][Vulkan]: The benchmark may crash while running in Vulkan mode with SLI enabled and using Ultra graphics settings. [200565367]
  • [Forza Horizon 4]: "Low streaming bandwidth" error may occur after extended gameplay. [2750515]
  • [Forza Motorsport 7]: Game starts to stutter after racing a few laps [2750611]
  • [Gears 5]: Random stability issues may occur. [2630220]
  • [Grand Theft Auto V]: The game frequently crashes. NVIDIA is working with the application developer to resolve the issue.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
For those with heavy freezing with i5, turning on the async compute even with an Nvidia card helps for some reason.

Makes no sense.
Didn't do anything after I changed it a couple days ago, changed it back and finally got around to using Process Lasso, I played for a bit and didn't experience any hitches on DX12, haven't gone back to test the benchmark with Vulkan yet though.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Been running pretty smooth since the update, but then again I had gotten it smooth before the update but at least nothing got fucked up.

I'm early chapter 3, maxed my stats allowed at this point and all side quests, so I shall resume the story.

I'm a terrible hunter and fisher, but fortunately it's super each to bow/arrow gators and they're super close to a town to restock arrows.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
This game gave me the push I needed to upgrade my mobo and cpu.

Goodbye i5-6600k, hello ryzen 3700x

empo

Jan 27, 2018
This game gave me the push I needed to upgrade my mobo and cpu.

Goodbye i5-6600k, hello ryzen 3700x
I went from i5-2500k to 3700x this summer haha. Not sure how massive the difference is gonna be for you (especially in other games that doesn't seem as finicky) but it was quite a revelation when it came to frametimes and stuttering.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I went from i5-2500k to 3700x this summer haha. Not sure how massive the difference is gonna be for you (especially in other games that doesn't seem as finicky) but it was quite a revelation when it came to frametimes and stuttering.
my 6600k has been constantly bottlenecking me at 1440p with the 2080, so I'm hoping the 3700x helps lol

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
Had one crash today. Can't complain tho. In 13hrs there were only 2-3 in total.
Playing at 30-40fps has its toll on fluidity but hey what can you do. TAA really helps smooth the image. Much better results than FXAA and 1.25 res scale even.

Went to Saint Denis to check out whether performance would tank but nope, it's stayed the same solid 30-40.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Optimized settings from Hardwareunboxed video:
bID16rX.png

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Nice, I'm planning on finally retiring mine next year for a Zen 3 build. Nine years, even if the last few were a bit of a struggle, will have been a great run.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, I knew the "Overall" slider changes settings based on your computer, it also changes them based on your resolution/resolution scaling. Put it to 2x res scale and adjusted the slider to max, most settings went a mix of Med/High/Ultra (which were all mainly High/Ultra at 1080p). Turned off res scaling and left the settings as they were with res scaling on, near enough the same settings Dictator said in his vid.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, okay, the difference between High and Ultra shadows is massive.

This is with Lighting on High.

High shadows:
heEGEM9.png

Ultra shadows:
TEJAkoW.png

And Ultra shadows and Ultra lighting for fun:
5Jt0Rpc.png

Personally, I think I'm going to drop lighting down to Medium or High and maybe consider Ultra shadows. It adds so much to shadows cast by non sun-based lighting.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Ultra lighting. Maybe it's a bit more realistic, but I really like the contrast provided by High and Medium shadows. Considering going from Ultra to Medium brings my fps from 55 to 68 in Saint-Denis, it seems like it might be worth the tradeoff.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I cannot for the life of me figure out why Vulkan has randomly started crashing on load for me.

I had almost no issues at all before and then bam, out of the blue this started happening.

I've tried every troubleshooting step I can think of and nothing.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah okay I really don't like Ultra lighting. The light sources are too strong. It's unnatural. Medium or High for me. Possibly Medium to make up for the performance hit of Ultra shadows (though this will only help me in night scenes, which are the most taxing anyways).

So far I'm really happy with my settings. These are perfect for Red Dead Online, though Singleplayer seems a little bit more demanding for some reason.

Setup
RTX 2070 Super
Core i7 6700K

This is at 1620p effective (using res scale). Using a 144Hz Gsync monitor with Ultra low latency and vsync turned on. Frame time looks fairly consistent.

Surprisingly multiplayer seems to run a bit faster. I might drop to High shadows in SP to guarantee 60 fps. Or just deal with the 5 fps hit since I have GSync anyways.

Single-Player:
Camp:
55 fps
Valentine: 60 fps
Outside cities: 65 fps

Multiplayer:
Saint-Denis:
60+ fps
Outside cities: 70+ fps

Settings

Resolution:
1920x1080
Refresh rate: 144
Screen type: Fullscreen
Vsync: On
Triple buffering: On
Pause game on focus loss: On
Constrain mouse pointer: Off
Quality preset level: Custom
Texture quality: Ultra
Anisotropic filtering: 16x
Lighting quality: Medium

Global illumination quality: High
Shadow quality: Ultra
Far shadow quality: High
Screen-space ambient occlusion: Ultra
Reflection quality: Medium
Mirror quality: Ultra
Water quality: Custom
Volumetrics quality: Medium
Particle quality: Ultra
Tessellation quality: Ultra
TAA: High
FXAA: On
MSAA: Off

Graphics API: Vulkan
Near volumetric resolution: Medium
Far volumetric resolution: Medium
Volumetric lighting quality: Medium
Unlocked volumetric raymarch resolution: On
Particle lighting quality: Medium
Soft shadows: High
Grass shadows: High
Long shadows: On
Full resolution screen-space ambient occlusion: Off
Water refraction quality: Medium
Water reflection quality: Medium
Water physics quality: 25%
Resolution scale: x1.500
TAA sharpening: 100%

Motion blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry level of detail: 100%
Grass level of detail: 50%
Tree quality: High
Parallax occlusion mapping quality: High
Decal quality:High
Fur quality: High

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah okay I really don't like Ultra lighting. The light sources are too strong. It's unnatural. Medium or High for me. Possibly Medium to make up for the performance hit of Ultra shadows (though this will only help me in night scenes, which are the most taxing anyways).

I think the opposite. Generally with light sources like that, this is what I expect

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I think the opposite. Generally with light sources like that, this is what I expect

I just came to the realization when I went outside tonight. With city lights, there are still a lot of dark places on my street and the majority of the lighting is right below light posts. High seems to mimic reality the closest to my eyes. The performance gains of going from Ultra -> High -> Medium are considerable at night, though.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
FINALLY found a solution to the Vulkan crashing upon load for my save.

TL;DR:
  1. Launch into Red Dead Online.
  2. Load story save from Online menu.
  3. ????
  4. Profit.

EDIT: One thing you MUST DO once you get back into your Single Player save is perform some action (changing clothes on your horse is an easy one) that'll trigger an auto save and then make a manual save. If you just exit the game and relaunch, it won't work as the old save is still "corrupted" in some way. I had to go back into Online and redo it as I didn't make a new save the first time.

Last edited:

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FINALLY found a solution to the Vulkan crashing upon load for my save.

TL;DR:
  1. Launch into Red Dead Online.
  2. Load story save from Online menu.
  3. ????
  4. Profit.

Did that just start to happen for you? Just got into rdr 2 and i've already played for like 35 hours, but as soon as i load my save from the menu now the game crashes. Gonna try the online solution.

EDIT: i see it might be due to corrupted save. Lets hope this works lol, otherwise imma be pissed

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
So yeah after having a long play with dx12 I can confirm Vulcan runs better for my 1060.
:( Dx12 fixes the hangs but it's framerate is lower for me especially noticeable in the camp.
Where dem patches at yo!

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
my 6600k has been constantly bottlenecking me at 1440p with the 2080, so I'm hoping the 3700x helps lol
I made the exact same change a month ago and with the same GPU and I can tell you it's been an enormous upgrade. I had no idea how much I was bottle necking the 2080 with my old cpu.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

So far I'm really happy with my settings. These are perfect for Red Dead Online, though Singleplayer seems a little bit more demanding for some reason.

Setup
RTX 2070 Super
Core i7 6700K

This is at 1620p effective (using res scale). Using a 144Hz Gsync monitor with Ultra low latency and vsync turned on. Frame time looks fairly consistent.

Surprisingly multiplayer seems to run a bit faster. I might drop to High shadows in SP to guarantee 60 fps. Or just deal with the 5 fps hit since I have GSync anyways.

Single-Player:
Camp:
55 fps
Valentine: 60 fps
Outside cities: 65 fps

Multiplayer:
Saint-Denis:
60+ fps
Outside cities: 70+ fps

Settings

Resolution:
1920x1080
Refresh rate: 144
Screen type: Fullscreen
Vsync: On
Triple buffering: On
Pause game on focus loss: On
Constrain mouse pointer: Off
Quality preset level: Custom
Texture quality: Ultra
Anisotropic filtering: 16x
Lighting quality: Medium

Global illumination quality: High
Shadow quality: Ultra
Far shadow quality: High
Screen-space ambient occlusion: Ultra
Reflection quality: Medium
Mirror quality: Ultra
Water quality: Custom
Volumetrics quality: Medium
Particle quality: Ultra
Tessellation quality: Ultra
TAA: High
FXAA: On
MSAA: Off

Graphics API: Vulkan
Near volumetric resolution: Medium
Far volumetric resolution: Medium
Volumetric lighting quality: Medium
Unlocked volumetric raymarch resolution: On
Particle lighting quality: Medium
Soft shadows: High
Grass shadows: High
Long shadows: On
Full resolution screen-space ambient occlusion: Off
Water refraction quality: Medium
Water reflection quality: Medium
Water physics quality: 25%
Resolution scale: x1.500
TAA sharpening: 100%

Motion blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry level of detail: 100%
Grass level of detail: 50%
Tree quality: High
Parallax occlusion mapping quality: High
Decal quality:High
Fur quality: High

How's performance in Strawberry? It's the most demanding town to me for some reason.
Ultra particles killed my performance when I burned down an O'Driscoll camp at night. Can you try it?

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I've been so lucky. About 20 hours in. No crashes, no Rockstar launcher issues. Once i figured out which settings were the most taxing, it's been smooth sailing.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Messing around with resolution scale.

3440x1440, resolution scale 100% (off)
rdr2-3440-100bojza.jpg

3440x1440, resolution scale 75% (2580x1080)
rdr2-3440-75f6kh0.jpg

3440x1440, resolution scale 75% (2580x1080), with GFE sharpening
rdr2-3440-75-sharp8kkt7.jpg

Around a 10fps gain on my GTX 1080. It's certainly not perfect (a bit softer in motion for sure) but the end result is better than I thought it would be. Something to consider for people looking for some extra performance.