• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm usin the fxaa solution in the game. It's a little blurry. Would I benefit from using some AA in Geforce experience? (On gtx 1080)

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I'm usin the fxaa solution in the game. It's a little blurry. Would I benefit from using some AA in Geforce experience? (On gtx 1080)

IMO it's best to just use TAA and then use Nvidia image sharpening (from control panel or using Freestyle filter in-game) and maybe mess with the TAA sharpening option in the menu together with that. While Freestyle now supports ReShade filters, they don't seem to offer the SMAA filter which might give better results than FXAA but SMAA is more prone to shimmer.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This game gave me the push I needed to upgrade my mobo and cpu.

Goodbye i5-6600k, hello ryzen 3700x

My initial benchmarking of this made me impulse buy an RTX 2080 to upgrade from my 1080 haha. My 6700K is probably not going to last more than another year or so at this point.

Also, I installed "Graphics Tools" from the Windows features and now the DX12 api works! Now I am getting better performance (about 5-10 fps more in camp), with no stutters. Thanks to whoever figured that one out.

What's this Graphics Tools thing?

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
IMO it's best to just use TAA and then use Nvidia image sharpening (from control panel or using Freestyle filter in-game) and maybe mess with the TAA sharpening option in the menu together with that. While Freestyle now supports ReShade filters, they don't seem to offer the SMAA filter which might give better results than FXAA but SMAA is more prone to shimmer.
Alright, I might try this. I thought the TAA looked as blurry as FXAA, but was more demanding. If I enable TAA in game, will the nvidia sharpening work on it?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Alright, I might try this. I thought the TAA looked as blurry as FXAA, but was more demanding. If I enable TAA in game, will the nvidia sharpening work on it?

Yes it will work, but with the caveat that the NVCP image sharpening option only works on DX12. The Freestyle Sharpen filter works on Vulkan though so use that if you run the game on Vulkan. This game is really built for temporal antialiasing and it looks shimmery and off without it.

bongpig

Jan 30, 2019
I just came to the realization when I went outside tonight. With city lights, there are still a lot of dark places on my street and the majority of the lighting is right below light posts. High seems to mimic reality the closest to my eyes. The performance gains of going from Ultra -> High -> Medium are considerable at night, though.

It depends on a few different things. For example, theres quite a bit of water on the ground in those screenshots. If you went out at night after rain, you would see far more light being bounced around as its reflected from the water on the ground. On a dry night, there would be more dark spots between the lights, as you suggested. To my eyes, the screenshot with ultra shadows and lighting looks fabulously natural compared to the shot with lighting lower than ultra. The character being so dark just doesn't look right, while standing near so many light sources. In the real world, radiosity would stop anything near the theatre being so dark.

I was really happy playing with shadows and lighting on high - but your screenshots have shown me what im missing. Now im not happy! Damn you!!

Oct 27, 2017
Guess this isn't a direct performance question but how does it play on mouse and keyboard? I had it in mind I'd play with controller but have heard M+KB works well.

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Yes it will work, but with the caveat that the NVCP image sharpening option only works on DX12. The Freestyle Sharpen filter works on Vulkan though so use that if you run the game on Vulkan. This game is really built for temporal antialiasing and it looks shimmery and off without it.
Cool. Thanks alot.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing a lot of RDO lately, so reshade's gonna be off the table for me. So I take it that's a "yes" on nvidia sharpening incurring an fps drop?

Re-Shade is now part of GeForce Filters. You can just copy files and get effects enabled in Nvidia filters. At least I think that you can but I am not sure.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips everyone. Will try it out next chance I get

But be careful when comparing screenshots with Nvidia sharpening on and off. Most screen-capture tools like MSI Afterbruner do not capture the sharpening. You'll see no difference. Even pressing "print" doesn't work for me.

Re-Shade is now part of GeForce Filters. You can just copy files and get effects enabled in Nvidia filters. At least I think that you can but I am not sure.

Tried it and I'm not able to make it work. Followed the nvidia tutorial, even used their reshade package...
No idea, I'm doing something wrong.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
So changing to Vulkan allowed me to load my game. But I tried RDO with DX12 and it loaded but crashed about 45 minutes in. I don't think I've had a crash on Vulkan but although fps is fine it has more glitches and issues than DX12. I get the odd hang when the game pauses for a second or two before continuing. I get the odd hitch (both these issues are normally in Saint Denis) but I do get bad Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality in some places when set to Ultra. Really ugly, splodgy black shapes on the ground. So I guess it's either no glitches or risk of game not loading or game doesn't crash but glitches. Neither are really preferable.

Tried DX12 again and it loaded. But it crashed 5 minutes later. So DX12 is a no-no for me.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when we'll finally get that performance patch this game so desperately deserves. Surely it will come by the end of the week.....right? .....right?

Nyteshade517

Oct 25, 2017
Optimized settings from Hardwareunboxed video:
bID16rX.png

They did a Part 2 with the Advanced Settings also to make a complete "Optimized" guide

I tried putting a pic up of it but it wouldn't let me

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
Stupid question but how you find riding horse on keyboard? Holding my finger on 'W' for few minutes ride is quite painfull... It was much easier on PAD but shooting sucks on PAD :(

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
Stupid question but how you find riding horse on keyboard? Holding my finger on 'W' for few minutes ride is quite painfull... It was much easier on PAD but shooting sucks on PAD :(
Cumbersome and weird, like almost everything in the game. Even the mouse aiming is screwed with non-functioning raw input and sensitivity slider that has too few steps and doesn't go low enough, even on lowest setting.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find M+KB experience in this game very poor.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Cumbersome and weird, like almost everything in the game. Even the mouse aiming is screwed with non-functioning raw input and sensitivity slider that has too few steps and doesn't go low enough, even on lowest setting.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find M+KB experience in this game very poor.
No, I agree with you. It's horrible.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

That's why you add Rockstar Launcher to Steam via GloSc, launch it from there with your favorite controller connected and Steam Controller settings with gyro aim enabled. Works quite well and gives that improved aiming. I wish you could just lock the control prompts to show a specific controller so they would not switch to keyboard/mouse if you set it up for mouse aim.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm finding aiming with the controller much more tolerable than a year ago on xbox for some reason. I've been doing fine with it. I can't put up with the awful keyboard control in this game just for more precise aiming.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So anyone else experienced this odd issue?

Some trees disappear when zoomed in, others do not. No idea why some trees are affected and others are not. Settings show at the end of the video.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the Epilogue Chapter.

I have no hopes of R* patching the game before I actually finish it.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018

Looking forward for today's update, hoping it doesn't break anything further.

Interesting that the stuttering is related to a NVIDIA/CPU's combination.

After tweaking and switching to Vulkan I'm now able to run it buttery smooth with my settings and GSYNC but saying "a small number of players only" is pretty off.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
What about the crashing? I can't play the game because with the lack of decent auto saves I can lose 30 minutes+ of progress, then while replaying it have it crash yet again... Vulkan crashes within first minute or so, and DX12 can crash every 30 to 40 minutes, but before the previous patch I had 0 crashes in DX12....

Michael B

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
I believe the resolution scale in the advanced options is causing issues on my system. Certain resolution fractions cause large visual artifacts. I've settled on a 5/6 resolution fraction at a 4k resolution on a 4k monitor. I having tested it thoroughly but I believe having any resolution scale set it causing an issue in Vulkan where my GPU usage drops to 50% and in turn drops my framerate. I can resolve it by alt entering between fullscreen and borderless fullscreen when it happens. Hopefully an update solves this on my system as I would rather have the higher framerate at a 5/6 resolution then run with the resolution scale turned off.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dec 15, 2017
It was bound to happen. You need a stable RDO to keep those whales spending. Hopefully includes performance improvements across all gpus and texture optimizations.

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
Hmm maybe I will game a shot on PAD with some control changes to aiming/shooting. I remember there was some video about what settings are best for shooting on PAD.