• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
If you had tesselation on anything but Ultra prior to the patch then I suggest turning Tree Tesselation OFF, I'm getting roughly 7 or maybe less frames on an area that previously was running at a locked FPS (50 for me).

I guess tree tessalation was only enabled by selecting Ultra prior to the patch unless it was bugged and not working but I can definitely notice the hit when several trees are on screen.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So, I think in terms of the hang ups it's a little better on Vulkan for me but I forgot to add the command before testing so I'll have to try it again but there was less hitching (and less severe) in the last part of the benchmark when I tested with the default settings I was given of mostly low and some medium. Tested it again with some turned up higher than I had (specifically lighting/shadows/volumetric setting) before the patch but better without having to use Process Lasso, didn't hitch since my 1070 was bottlenecked first where as before it'd still do so though it did drop to one 1FPS at some point during the final part, I'm guessing it's from when it loaded since I don't recall seeing a nearly second long pause. Locking the frame rate to 30 it was mostly fine, had lows in the single digits for each one but that was also probably from the initial load, I'm probably going to drop shadows back down to high. RTSS isn't doing a great job keeping the frame rate from going above 30 now, it was much more consistent before, those instances basically doubled to nearly a third of the total frames.

Funny that the benchmark text has a space for settings but they're not filled in, would be convenient.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
no it is, I specifically went back and checked screenshots I took. No performance impact to me at all compared to before. maybe it was hardware specific issue before, or it was disabling it behind the scenes and now you can see the setting? I don't know but my trees before clearly had the tessellation on.

I just tested it again. It's a 20 fps hit on the first scene in the benchmark between on and off using my GTX 1080 at 1080p. Off is the previous performance with tessellation on ultra. It was the first thing I noticed after correcting my settings since I had assumed like you did that it was the previous behavior.

Last edited:

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I just tested it again. It's a 20 fps hit on the first scene in the benchmark between on and off using my GTX 1080 at 1080p. Off is the previous performance with tessellation on ultra. It was the first thing I noticed after correcting my settings since I had assumed like you did that it was the previous behavior.
I'm not sure why thediscrepancy between our results but on my 2080ti it's the same performance with trees on and tessellation on ultra as just ultra was before

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have an i5 6600k overclocked to 4.5 GHz paired with a 980ti that I can also run a slight OC on. What's the level of performance I could expect at say a mixed mostly medium settings with ultra textures? Anyone running the same or a similar build?

I'm using a 1440p monitor that does 144Hz and gsync.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why thediscrepancy between our results but on my 2080ti it's the same performance with trees on and tessellation on ultra as just ultra was before

If you had tesselation on anything but Ultra prior to the patch then I suggest turning Tree Tesselation OFF, I'm getting roughly 7 or maybe less frames on an area that previously was running at a locked FPS (50 for me).

I guess tree tessalation was only enabled by selecting Ultra prior to the patch unless it was bugged and not working but I can definitely notice the hit when several trees are on screen.

I always used ultra tessellation prior to this update, and the performance impact was not there. It seems like this update enabled the effect. Also the benchmarks show that the tessellation setting prior to this update had almost no impact on performance:

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I always used ultra tessellation prior to this update, and the performance impact was not there. It seems like this update enabled the effect. Also the benchmarks show that the tessellation setting prior to this update had almost no impact on performance:

Lol are you calling me a liar?

This setting has no performance impact compared to before for me in heavily wooded areas

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Lol are you calling me a liar?

What? That's a weird place to go with that. The benchmark from the Hardware Unboxed video clearly shows that the tessellation setting previously did not actually affect tree tessellation and thus having 0 impact on performance unlike after the update. You already have 2 people in here pointing out that it now actually affects performance in a large way with it enabled.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a second. Tree Tessellation, that's a new setting isn't it?

For the rest:
- same average performance as previously in the benchmark
- Stutters in Vulkan still present, maybe less severe though (up and downs have lower mins/maxs). Hard to tell.
Stutters still there and still bad!
- Loading is longer in Vulkan

Last edited:

Oct 30, 2017
how do you manually download updates in the rockstar launcher, if at all? i had auto on until now but have no idea how to confirm the latest patch has actually been applied.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
how do you manually download updates in the rockstar launcher, if at all? i had auto on until now but have no idea how to confirm the latest patch has actually been applied.

Just look at the version number when it starts. If it's updated it's version 1207.69. Or just check your settings for tree tessellation.

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I have an i5 6600k overclocked to 4.5 GHz paired with a 980ti that I can also run a slight OC on. What's the level of performance I could expect at say a mixed mostly medium settings with ultra textures? Anyone running the same or a similar build?

I'm using a 1440p monitor that does 144Hz and gsync.
Mostly medium? You' could average over 60FPS which IIRC I could do with my poor ol'2500k at 4.5GHz and over clocked 1070 in the benchmark

Last edited:

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Boy, that tree tessellation performance hit!

System Specifications
Ryzen 5 3600 4GHz
GTX 1080 Ti
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz CL15

Off - 60 fps

egjzle9.png

On = 52 fps

0lpAZIY.png

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
With console-like settings, I can push around 70-80FPS at 1440p in camp, which is pretty nice. With the "optimal" settings that balance visuals and performance (a few pages back), I'm getting 60-70 at 1440p. If I reduced the internal rendering res, I'd almost definitely go even higher.
I guess tree tessalation was only enabled by selecting Ultra prior to the patch unless it was bugged and not working before but I can definitely notice the hit when several trees are on screen.
I'd wager you're right on the money there.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, wish I had known to get a screenshot of my settings before the patch. For some reason it just set mostly everything to low which was nice for FPS but the game looked terrible. Before I was just using whatever it auto assigned me to and had a good 60fps with great visuals. I remember it being in the middle of the general quality bar so I'm just going to try to set it around there and hope for the best but if I'd known I'd have to reset it myself I'd have taken a screenshot of it because I was really happy with it before.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Boy, that tree tessellation performance hit!

System Specifications
Ryzen 5 3600 4GHz
GTX 1080 Ti
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz CL15

Off - 60 fps

egjzle9.png

On = 52 fps

0lpAZIY.png

Even worse for me: Depending on the scene Tree Tessellation can have an impact of up to 20% on performance (1440p). And all it really does is making the tree thicker in my example. You have at least a bit more depth and detail ;).
At this point I'd also like to give a special shout out to the fixed Stuttering Issues in Vulkan. At least only a small minority of 80% are suffering from it.

treetessellationoffkij84.jpg

treetessellationongzje5.jpg

Summary:
- Average performance (Benchmark) = same (without Tree tessellation)
- Stutter still present and as bad as previously
- New, high end feature added that is meant to be used with a 3080Ti or RX 6800.

(∩`-´)⊃━☆゚ Rockstar Magic

;)

Last edited:

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
Performance is largely identical for me post patch. Frame pacing now completely screwed. Groan..... PC gaming.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The great thing now is that the performance is generally stable.
Overall I'm kind of satisfied with the patch.
No crashing, no stuttering in Vulkan. I guess I got lucky that my two biggest problems were resolved with this patch. Now I'm just hoping Pascal cards get another performance pass by R*. Based on benchmarks I've seen, they're not really doing as hot as I'd have expected them to.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm not sure how useful this will be after the new update, but in my video I highlight performance scalability issues relating to fire effects and foliage.

I've encountered scenarios where the frame rate would drop below 60 fps, and reducing many setting to the lowest available in the menu would lead to performance gains of around 10% while significantly compromising the visuals of the game. This happened to such an extent I was able to raise the graphical settings with little to no measurable performance hit in these scenes.

(Video is still processing at the time of posting)

Well I think that tree tessellation wasn't even enabled before. I don't remember trees looking like that on Ultra settings before.

Yeah, it wasn't. This especially evident by the performance hit, I noticed it straight away after loading into a campfire where I last saved the game.

Even worse for me: Depending on the scene Tree Tessellation can have an impact of up to 20% on performance (1440p). And all it really does is making the tree thicker in my example. You have at least a bit more depth and detail ;).
At this point I'd also like to give a special shout out to the fixed Stuttering Issues in Vulkan. At least only a small minority of 80% are suffering from it.

treetessellationoffkij84.jpg

treetessellationongzje5.jpg

Summary:
- Average performance (Benchmark) = same (without Tree tessellation)
- Stutter still present and as bad as previously
- New, high end feature added that is meant to be used with a 3080Ti or RX 6800.

(∩`-´)⊃━☆゚ Rockstar Magic

;)

In another scene I had a frame rate drop from 60 fps to 72 fps.

Last edited:

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
Hmm I remember someone posted video about optimizing controls on PC. Can't find it. Anyone help :(?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
1.14 PC patch notes for those who missed them:

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360038342293/RDR2-Title-Update-1-14-Notes-PS4-Xbox-One-PC said:
[November 13, 2019] Stability Fixes – PC

Graphics & Performance Fixes
  • Added an additional launch argument (-cpuLoadRebalancing) to rebalance workload on the CPU cores and avoid hitting an edge-case in certain NVIDIA graphics card drivers that causes significant stalls on 4-core and 6-core CPUs. For more information, please see this support page: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360038940333
  • Added improvements for performance and stability on graphics cards with 4GB of VRAM or less when using Vulkan
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in audio stuttering and sound drops on some CPUs when using Vulkan
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in graphics problems when using Fullscreen mode on systems with multiple displays
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the game becoming stuck in Windowed Borderless mode instead of Fullscreen mode if the game lost focus or certain graphics settings were changed under DirectX 12
  • Fixed issues that resulted in the incorrect detection of devices and problems switching between SDR and HDR modes. Players who previously encountered these issues should enable HDR through the Windows Display Settings prior to launching the game
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the game launching in a window larger than the maximum resolution of the attached display when using Windowed display mode
  • Improved the auto-detection of system hardware so that the recommended default graphics settings will provide higher performance
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the game setting a default graphics preset that was unsupported by the amount of available VRAM on some graphics cards, preventing the game from launching
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in VRAM usage estimation for pending settings changes to be slightly different to the actual usage once the settings were applied
  • Added a separate option to enable tessellation on tree models within the Graphics settings menu
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in reduced performance when switching between different graphics settings presets without restarting the system
  • Fixed an issue that affected the brightness of Photo Mode images that were captured in HDR after editing them using the Social Club menu
  • Fixed issues with some full-screen effects and Photo Mode filters when using a display aspect ratio other than 16:9
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in graphics artifacts in mirror reflections when using Multisample Anti-Aliasing (MSAA)
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in graphics artifacts on the Pause Menu Map when using Multisample Anti-Aliasing (MSAA )
  • Fixed issues with rendering and lighting that occurred with some waterfalls
  • Fixed issues with rendering that occurred with a Story Mode character
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in flickering graphics artifacts on some systems using multiple graphics cards
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in graphical corruption during the theater shows in Saint Denis
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in graphics artifacts to appear when rendering some light reflections
  • Fixed an issue that affected the rendering of the Pause Menu background after changing the display resolution
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in reduced world detail at long distance when using items that allow zooming, such as scopes and binoculars
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in rendering issues with shadows on some parts of the terrain
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in graphics artifacts that could occur with some hair/fur rendering when using Multisample Anti-Aliasing (MSAA)
  • Improved the performance rendering some in-game particle effects
  • Improved the performance rendering of trails when in snowy areas of the game
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the partial rendering of the Pause Menu while some graphics settings were active
Stability Fixes
  • Fixed issues that resulted in crashes during game startup and logo screen
  • Fixed issues that resulted in crashes when changing graphics settings or switching back and forth between presets
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in crashes during the initial boot of the game in the Windowed display mode
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash when switching between Windowed and Fullscreen display modes on some graphics cards
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash when the game window lost focus or as a result of using Alt+Tab
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash when attempting to load an autosave on some systems
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash when repeatedly transitioning between Story Mode and Red Dead Online
  • Fixed issues that resulted in crashes when attempting to quit the game
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash on some systems when connecting and disconnecting input devices with the game running
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash when attempting to switch weapons in Story Mode
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash when opening the HDR Calibration screen with some combinations of graphics cards and displays
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash when using the mouse to switch between categories in the Satchel menu
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the game freezing when applying remapped keyboard inputs through the Settings menu
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in an infinite loading screen when exiting the Settings menu and returning to the Landing Page
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a crash when playing Story Mode while offline
  • Fixed crashes and stability issues that resulted in the error "Red Dead Redemption 2 exited unexpectedly" during gameplay
  • Fixed an issue with attempting to join another player's Red Dead Online session with a different control scheme or lock-on type that resulted in networking issues
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the Red Dead Redemption 2 desktop shortcut from correctly launching the game
Control & User Interface Fixes
  • Improved mouse support in some Store menus
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a black screen during the initial boot of the game rather than the loading bar
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in players being unable to equip emotes in Red Dead Online while using the mouse
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the Map in the Pause Menu being cut off when changing the game resolution
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in player overhead displays to appear in the incorrect position on displays other than 16:9 aspect ratio in Red Dead Online
  • Fixed an issue that prevented some keyboard inputs from being remapped
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in some incorrect text and warning screens to appear when when remapping keyboard inputs
  • Fixed issues that resulted in problems with scrolling in parts of the user interface
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in some menus not displaying input controls, including Safe Zone and Brightness Calibration screens
  • Fixed issues with keyboard text input when using some languages
  • Fixed issues that resulted in the red selection highlight disappearing while browsing through menus
  • Fixed issues that resulted in problems with mouse selection, or erratic cursor movement when browsing some menus
  • Fixed an issue with keyboard navigation of the Pause Map after selecting a blip/icon.
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in players being unable to complete some actions while inspecting weapons
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in save game information to be missing from the Load Game menu
  • Fixed issues with text input of non-Latin characters and added support for more input methods
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the Pause Map moving position after placing a waypoint
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in difficulty aiming with a mouse, especially at low DPI settings
  • Fixed issues that resulted in incorrectly sized, overlapping or misaligned user interface elements under different display resolutions
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the loss of previous selections when navigating back and forth between menus
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in redundant options in the Keyboard and Mouse submenu of the Controls menu
General / Miscellaneous
  • Improved the stability and result consistency of the in-game Benchmark Tool
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in players appearing underneath the world when in the lobby screen while playing some Red Dead Online content
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in incorrect performance of the 'Tap and Hold Speed Control' accessibility feature while using keyboard and mouse controls in First Person camera mode
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in camera stuttering when using the mouse to look around while sprinting
  • Fixed an issue that caused problems with the fishing minigame when running at high framerates

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That's a beefy patch. Hopefully people who can't launch the game can actually do it now.

I'm really looking forward to that Vulkan stuttering patch though.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Raw input mouse aim seems to be fixed and the menus way more reliable with the mouse (although functionaly still not ideal), and I did notice before the patch the trees did look a bit flat, now they dont. And as im on raw input the map doesnt take 10 years to zoom out. Not a bad patch.

I'm lucky I dont get any crashing (well, except that one time) or stuttering since release, but damn they need to sort that stuff out pronto.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

I've got an 8-core CPU and haven't had any pauses or big stutters, just near constant small ones like in this screenshot:

Still, I might give it a try anyway.

Game performs the same for me once I put my settings back in, though I cannot make the tree tessellation work. No matter what level of tessellation I set it won't turn on.

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah.

It is a pretty smart way to scale the game into future for people playing in first person. Obviously, most of the details added in the high and ultra settings really only start to come out when you play in first person... the game also runs worse in first person hahaha

I've been finding myself thinking they were looking a bit low poly even in 3rd person so this is very welcome. My 2080ti is going to take a battering.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Either the new patch disabled snow glint or it has just been added. You can enable it in system.xml "<snowGlints value="false" />"

I think I figured out what the particle lighting quality does. Maybe it's the lighting on raindrops and such? I was by a campfire and the framerate took a hit when it started raining.

Also any idea why Red Dead Online is less demanding even on the same settings?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That tree tessellation reminds me of Tomb Raider, which the PS4/XO versions actually missed out on funny enough. i guess it's a demanding thing to do.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
That tree tessellation reminds me of Tomb Raider, which the PS4/XO versions actually missed out on funny enough. i guess it's a demanding thing to do.
I'm surprised at the performance hit it brings to Turing cards. One would think that they aren't limited by tessellation performance in a console port. Still consider RDR2 PC's optimization rather awful due to such things. It's like they are implementing them in the least efficient way possible.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Either the new patch disabled snow glint or it has just been added. You can enable it in system.xml "<snowGlints value="false" />"

I think I figured out what the particle lighting quality does. Maybe it's the lighting on raindrops and such? I was by a campfire and the framerate took a hit when it started raining.

Also any idea why Red Dead Online is less demanding even on the same settings?

Have you tested the snow glint on true and false? And if so, does it make a difference?

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Well I've had my first crash to desktop since the first few days of owning the game. With the RGL 'safe mode' prompt. Pooey.

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
Rockstar support just asked me to unninstal Skype, Reaper (Music DAW), LG Software for my Screen and my guitar interface driver...

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that tree tessellation setting is a huge visual improvement but holy shit does it ever kill frame rate.