• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions on performance from 4 and 6 core processors after the hot fix and removal of the old launch argument?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions on performance from 4 and 6 core processors after the hot fix and removal of the old launch argument?
So are we supposed to remove the launch argument? I've been playing with the hotfix and haven't run into any issues so far, but the launch argument is still on. I'll try disabling it and report back.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If you don't want the slight performance hit of ReShade sharpening, you can edit the game's own sharpening value in the settings xml file:
Code:
<sharpenIntensity value="1.000000" />

Here's the default 1.000000 with resolution scale off:
reddeadredemptioniiscbgjwr.jpg

And here's 3.800000 with 90% resolution scale:
reddeadredemptioniisceikyc.jpg

Edit: I should mention that going into the graphics settings menu at all after changing this value will reset it to the default one, even if you don't change anything or make the file read-only.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The exe finally works! You can add the game to Steam as a non-steam game. For real this time.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Performance seems around 10% higher since the patch...at least I think so. Tried to replicate my settings from prior to the patch.

Defaults the game gave me were a lot higher too. I have a feeling they may have tweaked some of the settings to lower overall quality.

Last edited:

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
I've added some useful unlisted settings (Async, SnowGlints, DeepSurface Quality) to the settings parser.
It also checks that you have the latest system.xml version (37 at the moment)

Well annoying that the update reset some settings to low. Make sure you put your in-game preset slider to max, then go and tweak every individual setting. And backup that system.xml file, because it's probably going to happen again.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic everything was working perfectly for me, now since the patch I can't even launch the game now, it boots up rockstar launcher then crashes in the luncher.

9900KS, 2080S

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no expert, but the game seems to be running a bit worse after the nvidia hotfix + the patch today.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Has anyone experimented with different values for "sharpenIntensity", in the system.xml file?

One user on Reddit recommends setting it at 3.800000, while another says that it shouldn't exceed 2.000000, if you don't want everything to become over-sharpened. Would love to hear from more people to find out what the consensus is.

Even with the in-game TAA toggle set to the max, and TAA set to "Medium", the visuals are still blurry. Nvidia's new sharpening feature on NVCP only works with DirectX, currently, and the overlay filters cause a slight performance impact, so none of those are an option, to me.

I thought it was mainly for i5s because of the issues those of us with them were having.
Unless you are getting hard stutters, I wouldn't use it. 8 thread cpu's should be just fine. Benchmarks showed them to do well.

Yeah, I think they mentioned 4-core and 6-core CPUs without specifying the number of threads. The previous workaround definitely caused a negative impact on my system. Regardless, the latest game patch (1.14) and Nvidia hotfix driver (441.34) should fix the stall issue without the need for any launch arguments, to those who were affected by it.

Regarding the vsync discussion - I always have it on, because tearing makes my eyes bleed. On a 60Hz display without g-sync/freesync/VRR vsync is a must for me.
www.testufo.com/stutter#test=stutter&demo=tearing

You may want to give this thread a read. ;)

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Patch notes saying they fixed something for the map, hopefully that means it wont jump half way across the map when I double click to drop a waypoint.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone get weird pop in issues with Vulkan?
The performance is ace, no problems there. But I wonder if there's something I can do about that.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if I'm just a dumbass but I can't figure out how to reliably start this game. If I open up Epic Games Launcher and run the game from there I get an error along the lines of Critical Data failed to initilaize or something like that. If I open the Rockstar Games Launcher and click Play on Epic the button just goes grey for a bit and goes back to normal.

It seems I need to have both launchers open and try both for a bit and then it starts up. Anyone heard/encountered this issue?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If you don't want the slight performance hit of ReShade sharpening, you can edit the game's own sharpening value in the settings xml file:
Code:
<sharpenIntensity value="1.000000" />

Here's the default 1.000000 with resolution scale off:
reddeadredemptioniiscbgjwr.jpg

And here's 3.800000 with 90% resolution scale:
reddeadredemptioniisceikyc.jpg

Edit: I should mention that going into the graphics settings menu at all after changing this value will reset it to the default one, even if you don't change anything or make the file read-only.

Really hard to spot a difference in your pictures might be because of jpg compression dunno.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else having issues with 5.1 in this game? The dialogue is often muffled and the positional audio tends to reverse every few minutes.

Are you on a Ryzen CPU? I've been having 5.1 issues in a ton of games with Sound Blaster Z, and it looks like it's not all that rare, especially with MSI and Gigabyte motherboards.

The "muffled" voices you're experiencing is likely it getting routed into the wrong channel. Had it a lot in Gears 5, to the point where I'm running games in stereo until I find a fix.

I've been having this same issue, kind of relieved to see it's not just me. In my case though I've only had it in RDR2 where the channels get swapped around and it's really jarring. Also running a Sound Blaster Z on Win 10. This is the first time I've ever had issues with this card. I can't say whether it was a bios update that did it though like the MSI forum claims because I just built my new PC a month ago and it automatically updated the bios when Windows was installed so I have no SBZ experience on previous bios versions.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Johnny Cicala

Dec 8, 2017
Not sure if I was on the last patch but when I last played, around 14 hours ago, a few UI elements (e.g. the loading wheel, markers on the map) were much smaller than usual.
Has anyone encountered this issue?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Someone who knows what they're talking about needs to make an entire thread as a guide to how vsync works these days, especially with the popularity of VRR now as well and the new scanljne feature in RTSS.

Comprehensive is tough, but so far, the best thing I've found is to force Ultra Fast
Has anyone experimented with different values for "sharpenIntensity", in the system.xml file?

One user on Reddit recommends setting it at 3.800000, while another says that it shouldn't exceed 2.000000, if you don't want everything to become over-sharpened. Would love to hear from more people to find out what the consensus is.

Even with the in-game TAA toggle set to the max, and TAA set to "Medium", the visuals are still blurry. Nvidia's new sharpening feature on NVCP only works with DirectX, currently, and the overlay filters cause a slight performance impact, so none of those are an option, to me.

Yeah, I think they mentioned 4-core and 6-core CPUs without specifying the number of threads. The previous workaround definitely caused a negative impact on my system. Regardless, the latest game patch (1.14) and Nvidia hotfix driver (441.34) should fix the stall issue without the need for any launch arguments, to those who were affected by it.

You may want to give this thread a read. ;)

I don't experience any performance impact from the Freestyle filter.

Personally, I use TAA on High, Max TAA sharpening, Res Scale of 1.5, and Freestyle Sharpen with intensity set to 0%. Looks crystal clear.

That gives me over 60fps on a 2070 Super at 1620p effective.

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
The exe finally works! You can add the game to Steam as a non-steam game. For real this time.
This still fails for me. Added RDR2.exe as non-steam game. When I launch it through Steam, the game crashes.

EDIT: Found the root of the problem. In order to be able to launch RDR2 from a Steam shortcut to its executable, the Rockstar Game Launcher already needs to be running. Otherwise, I get a crash (even though the exe starts the game launcher as well). Pfff.

Anyone else having more luck?

Steam Link does not work, because if it cannot follow the full launch chain (RGL -> RDR2), it reverts to desktop capture mode. Which means bad performance and no controller support. And, no using tools like GLoSC do not remedy this, since they capture a transparent window, also in desktop capture mode. For good, host system-equivalent capturing, Steam needs to be able to hook into the right executable :/

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This still fails for me. Added RDR2.exe as non-steam game. When I launch it through Steam, the game crashes.

EDIT: Found the root of the problem. In order to be able to launch RDR2 from a Steam shortcut to its executable, the Rockstar Game Launcher already needs to be running. Otherwise, I get a crash (even though the exe starts the game launcher as well). Pfff.

Anyone else having more luck?

Steam Link does not work, because if it cannot follow the full launch chain (RGL -> RDR2), it reverts to desktop capture mode. Which means bad performance and no controller support. And, no using tools like GLoSC do not remedy this, since they capture a transparent window, also in desktop capture mode. For good, host system-equivalent capturing, Steam needs to be able to hook into the right executable :/

Man, Rockstar's game launcher sure does suck ass. There's gotta be a way to make this work, though.

Last edited:

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone gotten Vulkan fullscreen to work even with the new patch? I still can't. I notice on Vulkan after I save my game my framerate would drop and stay there unless I quickly alt-tab out of RDR2 and back in then it's smooth again. DX12 doesn't have this problem, but it tends to crash more.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
Since the update resets/fiddles with a lot more than just the settings in the menu (see snowGlints, and all those other hidden options):

I recommend everyone
  1. Delete/backup their original system.xml file
  2. Let the game create a new one on startup
  3. Wack that preset to maximum
  4. Painstakingly reconfigure the settings in-game based on your old XML file. (use the parser for a readable format)
The system.xml file only contains your graphics settings. All other game settings (control, whatever) remain unchanged.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone gotten Vulkan fullscreen to work even with the new patch? I still can't. I notice on Vulkan after I save my game my framerate would drop and stay there unless I quickly alt-tab out of RDR2 and back in then it's smooth again. DX12 doesn't have this problem, but it tends to crash more.

So I have a similar problem, but only it is with DX12. Since the game update and driver hotfix, DX12 will play really smooth with high 50s fps, then randomly stutter and drop down to a locked 30 after 5-10 min. But if i pan the camera straight up so that only the sky is visible, then the frame rate jumps back up to the 50s. Then after about 5-10 min, the same thing happens. I am having no issues with Vulkan, but I get about 5-10 fps less than I do with DX12.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
See my earlier comment: launching from Steam through a non-Steam shortcut only works without crashing for me if the RGL is already running. Which kinda defeats the whole point.
Yeah, seems better to just add the launcher to steam, rename it to RDR2 or whatever and add whatever custom artwork you like

Overlay still works