• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who's game was fine before the update yesterday and now it won't launch?

Does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this? I tried the hot fix driver with no luck and even completely loaded the game.

I launch the game in the Rockstar launcher and it crashes the launcher

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Well this is a very festive bug.
reddeadredemptioniiscwajh3.jpg

His hair just gradually turned white as I was trying on clothes and immediately fixed itself once I left the menu.
Lmao, just in time for December too.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
New patch, huge new issue: my settings reset every single time I start the game.

Marking the system.xml as "read only" doesn't do anything. The same goes for deleting it and letting the game create a new one, then making changes/substituting it for a backup.

In its current state, the game is unplayable. I'm not manually editing 40 individual settings every time I want to play. From what I can tell, the settings are reverted during the shotgun intro video, before the Rockstar logo shows up. The game starts normally, and when G-Sync engages (identifiable by the "Instant Game Response" pop-up notification on my LG C9), the resolution is immediately dialed down to 720p, from 4K. Going into the settings menu, everything else is back to their default values.

Anyone else experiencing this? I also updated to the latest Nvidia hotfix driver (441.34). All other settings remain the same as before.

Last edited:

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
(Xpost with the other thread)

Days are stupid short in this game. If you are like me and really want to savour those beautiful and moody moments at night, dusk, sunrise, etc etc without them flying by breaking the immersion, install this mod and make the time go as slow as you want:

No changes to the weather timings in this, it's tied to something else and I'm still on the lookout for a mod for that.

edit-

I'm playing at 3X slower speed, went for a slow walk around Rhodes in the in-game morning to appreciate the atmosphere and all the little details around town. The weather was nice and the town was bathed in beautiful warm lightning, the game is an explorable living painting if you slow down and appreciate it. After some lenghty exploring I checked the time and it was later in that same morning, which felt right, satisfying and immersive for what I was doing and the visual mood had only slightly changed, instead of it being 11pm in the night already.

Last edited:

Spoonie

Oct 3, 2018
Installed the Nvidia Hotfix and now Geforce Experience game filters don't work - anyone else have the issue?

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
Weird, it works for me. Steam launches R* launcher then I just launch rdr2 from there
Weird. And you're sure the launcher is not already running? Adding the launcher executable to Steam and launching from there results in a crash ("exited unexpectedly") for me.

Edit: Excuse my language, fellow cowboys, but what the bleeping f*ck.

I had to unplug my controller for this very specific use case to work.
So if you're trying to launch the Rockstar Game Launcher from Steam, in order to launch RDR2 from there - unplug your controller. You can replug it after the game has launched.

Edit2: And now I come to think of it, this is probably the reason while it crashes when trying to stream over Steam Link too. Because Steam Link attaches a virtual controller. Holy macaroni this game is a complicated shitshow.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
(Xpost with the other thread)

Days are stupid short in this game. If you are like me and really want to savour those beautiful and moody moments at night, dusk, sunrise, etc etc without them flying by breaking the immersion, install this mod and make the time go as slow as you want:

No changes to the weather timings in this, it's tied to something else and I'm still on the lookout for a mod for that.

edit-

I'm playing at 3X slower speed, went for a slow walk around Rhodes in the in-game morning to appreciate the atmosphere and all the little details around town. The weather was nice and the town was bathed in beautiful warm lightning, the game is an explorable living painting if you slow down and appreciate it. After some lenghty exploring I checked the time and it was later in that same morning, which felt right, satisfying and immersive for what I was doing and the visual mood had only slightly changed, instead of it being 11pm in the night already.

Nice! What about NPC behavior and schedule? Does it work properly?

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Just a reminder, if you have -cpuLoadRebalancing flag set, try removing it. The freezes were fixed (at least for me) with the latest patch and removing the flag gave me additional ~5 fps.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if performance is improving, or I'm just experiencing placebo. In towns and camp, my FPS hovers around 60-70FPS, but in the wild I'm getting around 75-85 on average. Cutscenes often bump up to 90-100FPS, and I've no idea how. Overall very pleased with how the game performs now while using the "optimized settings" that keep getting tossed around here. Playing at a native 1440p.

GTX 1080 Ti, Ryzen 3700X, 16GB RAM @ 3200MHz. Given how rough performance was on Pascal around launch, this is certainly a nice bump up in performance, and more in-line with what I expected when I first started playing. Even better, I'm not crashing out of the blue anymore!

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Well, I've just had to re-apply all my graphics settings again. Joy.

Also I've just had a bug where I wen't to the butcher guy at the camp, but no menu popped up at all, just me staring into his hairy face. No key worked at all, nothing on the controller or keyboard. I alt-tabbed and used the RGL 'exit game' button.

Brockxz

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if performance is improving, or I'm just experiencing placebo. In towns and camp, my FPS hovers around 60-70FPS, but in the wild I'm getting around 75-85 on average. Cutscenes often bump up to 90-100FPS, and I've no idea how. Overall very pleased with how the game performs now while using the "optimized settings" that keep getting tossed around here. Playing at a native 1440p.

GTX 1080 Ti, Ryzen 3700X, 16GB RAM @ 3200MHz. Given how rough performance was on Pascal around launch, this is certainly a nice bump up in performance, and more in-line with what I expected when I first started playing. Even better, I'm not crashing out of the blue anymore!
I was wandering about this too after last updates. Yes, there was graphics settings reset but as i was pretty much doing that "optimized settings" i manage to redo my setup exactly the same and then did the benchmarking and it gave me about 5-7 more fps. Also in game i manage to get 90% of the time 60+ fps now with my system.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was wandering about this too after last updates. Yes, there was graphics settings reset but as i was pretty much doing that "optimized settings" i manage to redo my setup exactly the same and then did the benchmarking and it gave me about 5-7 more fps. Also in game i manage to get 90% of the time 60+ fps now with my system.

What are the "optimized settings" if you don't mind sharing? My graphics settings got reset and I don't remember what they were.

DanWENS

Nov 14, 2019
Guys, I am with some resolution scale dilemma and I want some help.
I use an 49" TV as monitor at 90cm in front of me. Right now I use 2560x1440 native resolution (no scale) so its basically an 32" 1440p monitor. But my TV have some flicker (KS8000) and I bought a small PC table so I can sit a little far away from the TV now (1,5 - 2,0m) and play at fullscreen.
So, what resolution scale should I use? There are 3 options:

1. Use native 4k resolution and then use the ingame resolution scale to 1440p.
2. Use 1440p resolution, let the GPU scale it to 4k.
3. Use 1080p resolution, use the ingame resolution scale to 1440p, let the display (TV) scale to fullscreen (4k).

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Guys, I am with some resolution scale dilemma and I want some help.
I use an 49" TV as monitor at 90cm in front of me. Right now I use 2560x1440 native resolution (no scale) so its basically an 32" 1440p monitor. But my TV have some flicker (KS8000) and I bought a small PC table so I can sit a little far away from the TV now (1,5 - 2,0m) and play at fullscreen.
So, what resolution scale should I use? There are 3 options:

1. Use native 4k resolution and then use the ingame resolution scale to 1440p.
2. Use 1440p resolution, let the GPU scale it to 4k.
3. Use 1080p resolution, use the ingame resolution scale to 1440p, let the display (TV) scale to fullscreen (4k).

I recommend 4K and then use the resolution scale to 1440p, this way you'll have a 4K UI. I think you set the resolution scale to 0.67 in the game which should be roughly 1440p if my understanding of the option is correct. 3840 x 0.667 = 2561

Fair.

I'm most excited for RedM tbh

64 or even 100+ player servers, oh man!

Last edited:

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder - you can set your refresh rate to 50Hz. For most people 50fps is almost indistinguishable from 60fps and the GPU load will be lower, so you will be able to increase resolution and/or eye candy.

DanWENS

Nov 14, 2019
I recommend 4K and then use the resolution scale to 1440p, this way you'll have a 4K UI. I think you set the resolution scale to 0.67 in the game which should be roughly 1440p if my understanding of the option is correct. 3840 x 0.667 = 2561
yes, I just tested it. 4k with 0.667 scale is much better than all of the other options.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Oh my goodness. See you next year, RDR2, maybe you'll be fixed by then. I'll play you after I'm done with Cyberpunk 2077. I already skipped you on consoles, I'm in no rush.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
This worked for me to get rid of the pop ins:

PedLodBias
VehicleLodBias
LodScale
all set to 1.000000

LodScale was already set to 1 in my file.
But it looks like I am getting a few more frame drops with this enabled, especially in Valentine or when arriving at the camp.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
The recent 3GB update noted "fixed reverting settings after game update".
But after the update my settings were all reverted.

w3hUyFC.gif

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this game / rockstar launcher have an offline mode? Might be without the web for a few days and wanted to test it out, can't seem to get offline working right.

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
I've given the RDR2 settings parser a new place: https://rdr2.forceflow.be/
  • It now also successfully parses older versions of the XML
  • It optionally lists some settings that are not in the menu, but are useful and in the XML (Currently: async compute, snowglints, deep surface quality - any more suggestions?)
I'd advise everyone to save a little backup, because something tells me this isn't the last time those settings will be reset :p

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This still fails for me. Added RDR2.exe as non-steam game. When I launch it through Steam, the game crashes.

EDIT: Found the root of the problem. In order to be able to launch RDR2 from a Steam shortcut to its executable, the Rockstar Game Launcher already needs to be running. Otherwise, I get a crash (even though the exe starts the game launcher as well). Pfff.

Anyone else having more luck?

Steam Link does not work, because if it cannot follow the full launch chain (RGL -> RDR2), it reverts to desktop capture mode. Which means bad performance and no controller support. And, no using tools like GLoSC do not remedy this, since they capture a transparent window, also in desktop capture mode. For good, host system-equivalent capturing, Steam needs to be able to hook into the right executable :/

It works fine for me even if RGL isn't running in the background.

Try logging out of RGL and back in. I heard it works.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Tonight I took 170 screenshots comparing all the settings and I don't think I want to see any of these options ever again. I don't think I've ever spent this much time in a goddamn settings menu before this.

The only standout bug I noticed when comparing settings was with Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality. When you turn that to Ultra it can cause this black haze to appear on the ground as you move forward. Knocking it down to High fixes this.

For anyone who's interested, here's my specs, settings, and comparison screenshots of the game's default settings on my machine, the highest settings (without MSAA), and then my personal settings:
R7-3700X
GTX 1080
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
3440x1440 120Hz G-sync monitor

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 8x
Lighting Quality: High
Global Illumination Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Far Shadow Quality: High
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Ultra
Reflection Quality: Medium