• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone recommend some tweaks? I feel the game should be running better than it is.
Specs-
i5 8600k boost clock to 4.8 Ghz. This is a 6 core CPU, is that maybe the problem?
RTX 2070 Super OC'd a bit.
32Gb of RAM.

I'm running it on pretty middle-of-the-road settings at 1080p in Vulkan and I JUST want ti to hit a constant 60 fps and look better than the damn PS4 Pro version. Is that literally too much to ask? Is there some .ini tweak or something I can do? I've got no problems running just about any other game at 1440p maxed out at a solid 60, and other users with similar rigs seem to be able to 1440p at a steady 60.

I've tweaked the advanced settings and I don't think I'm running anything but textures at Ultra. Mainly I middle-of-the-roaded everything to like highs and mediums. Is there some golden ticket I'm missing?

Thanks all.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone recommend some tweaks? I feel the game should be running better than it is.
Specs-
i5 8600k boost clock to 4.8 Ghz. This is a 6 core CPU, is that maybe the problem?
32Gb of RAM.

I'm running it on pretty middle-of-the-road settings at 1080p in Vulkan and I JUST want ti to hit a constant 60 fps and look better than the damn PS4 Pro version. Is that literally too much to ask? Is there some .ini tweak or something I can do? I've got no problems running just about any other game at 1440p maxed out at a solid 60, and other users with similar rigs seem to be able to 1440p at a steady 60.

I've tweaked the advanced settings and I don't think I'm running anything but textures at Ultra. Mainly I middle-of-the-roaded everything to like highs and mediums. Is there some golden ticket I'm missing?

Thanks all.
Your frame rate in the wild and towns would be helpful to see how far you are off 60 fps.
A lot of the settings and how impactful they are depends on where your are or the weather conditions.

Lighting at night is the performance killer. I am @1800p on a 2080 TI and I had to turn it down to medium.
Not sure about the impact of fog but at medium I find it looks too low res.
Water physics should be set to medium.
Tree Tessellation definitely off.
I set Ambient Occlusion to Ultra but I think on medium it still looks fine. And it has a decent performance impact.
And if you use Nvidia Sharpening via Geforce Overlay, that gave me a 5 fps drop. I upped the TAA sharpening in the settings.xml instead above 1.00000. I think to 1.40000

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Specs-
32Gb of RAM.

Thanks all.

Something sounds wrong. I'll try to post my settings tomorrow.

I'm generally getting 60-75fps at 1620p with an i7 6700K and 2070 Super.

Make sure you lower water physics to 50% or less, turn off MSAA, and keep reflections to Medium.

1440p 60 should not be a problem with your rig.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Specs-
32Gb of RAM.

Thanks all.

I've extensively tested with these settings at 1440p, they offer pretty consistent performance for 1440p 60 fps:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 144hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: Yes, Triple: On

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: Medium
Global Illumination Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Far Shadow Quality: Medium
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Medium
Reflection Quality: Low
Mirror Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Custom
Particle Quality: Low
Tessellation Quality: Ultra
TAA: Medium, FXAA: Off, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Far Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: Ultra
Soft Shadows: Medium
Grass Shadows: Low
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: Medium
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 100%
Motion Blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 100%
Grass Level of Detail: 10%
Tree Quality: Low
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: Medium
Tree Tessellation: Off

Generated on 2019-11-23 7:26 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

I have also been experimenting with these higher settings for 1440p 60 fps:

Far Shadow Quality: High
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: High
Particle Quality: Ultra

Near Volumetric Resolution: Ultra
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Ultra
Soft Shadows: High
Tree Quality: High
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: High

Generated on 2019-11-23 7:18 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I followed the recommendation and I've got a benchmark average of 85.14 now. Can't wait to run it through actual live gameplay.

Thanks everyone.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

GrazGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Have this on XBox One X and have put about 15 hours in. Would like to get it on PC but wondering if the performance and quality will be much improved enough to start again.

Anyone on a Titan Xp or 1080ti able to confirm if 60 FPS at 4K is possible on at least Xbox equivalent settings? I have 16gb ram and a 6700k.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Have this on XBox One X and have put about 15 hours in. Would like to get it on PC but wondering if the performance and quality will be much improved enough to start again.

Anyone on a Titan Xp or 1080ti able to confirm if 60 FPS at 4K is possible on at least Xbox equivalent settings? I have 16gb ram and a 6700k.
No it's not possible in native 4K. You need to use resolution scaling (1800p) and/or play in 50Hz/fps mode.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

With a 1080 Ti you're looking at 1440p for high settings or maaaaybe 1800p for XBOX equivalent settings. Somewhere in that range. Ideally I'd probably shoot for somewhere in the middle or closer to 1440p for higher settings.

Oct 27, 2017
USA

I can't maintain a locked 60 FPS at 3440x1440 at HU optimized settings on my 1080ti, 4K/60fps on a 1080Ti is a pipe dream.

That said, I'd rather play this at 1080p 60 FPS than 4K 30 FPS. That's just me though. Plus I prefer M/K to controller.

GrazGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I can't maintain a locked 60 FPS at 3440x1440 at HU optimized settings on my 1080ti, 4K/60fps on a 1080Ti is a pipe dream.

That said, I'd rather play this at 1080p 60 FPS than 4K 30 FPS. That's just me though. Plus I prefer M/K to controller.

I'm the opposite, I'd take 4K30 over 1080p60 and I'd take an Xbox or steam controller over M/K too. My PC is hooked up to my TV and is only used for gaming though.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
GMG has got this for $45, which has me considering throwing the dice

Have Rockstar improved optimization since launch? If I could hit around 60 FPS with a 1070/i5-7600k combo, I'll get this right now, but I don't know if that's possible

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Have Rockstar improved optimization since launch? If I could hit around 60 FPS with a 1070/i5-7600k combo, I'll get this right now, but I don't know if that's possible
Yes, they've improved it but there's still bugs.

They fixed stutters for i5 CPUs

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

What resolution?
My friend upgraded his PC to a 1660 super and I dialed in the settings for him using Hardware Unboxed's guide. Easy 60 + fps at 1080p. And it looks better than on consoles, yeah.

Honestly if the game released in this current state it'd be considered an average port.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
What resolution?
My friend upgraded his PC to a 1660 super and I dialed in the settings for him using Hardware Unboxed's guide. Easy 60 + fps at 1080p. And it looks better than on consoles, yeah.

Honestly if the game released in this current state it'd be considered an average port.
I'm shooting for 1440p ideally

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Getting random crashes on my secondary system. Wouldn't be so bad if the game had a better checkpoint system.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is 1080p/60fps with mostly medium (or just better than console visual settings, minus resolution) settings doable on Razer Blade with i7-9750H, RTX 2070MQ, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD? I feel like with most games the answer would be an obvious yes but this game seems way above the usual game in terms of settings and the huge variability in performance possible.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Is 1080p/60fps with mostly medium (or just better than console visual settings, minus resolution) settings doable on Razer Blade with i7-9750H, RTX 2070MQ, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD? I feel like with most games the answer would be an obvious yes but this game seems way above the usual game in terms of settings and the huge variability in performance possible.

From what I've seen, it looks like that GPU has performance comparable to a desktop GTX 1070.
I previously used these settings on my GTX 1080 Ti for 1440p 60 fps, I think these settings could be good to use for 1080p 60 fps on a RTX 2070MQ:

Far Shadow Quality: Medium
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Medium
Particle Quality: Low

Near Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Soft Shadows: Medium
Tree Quality: Low
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Fur Quality: Medium

Generated on 2019-11-23 7:26 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

If it performs well and you have the headroom for higher settings you could try to raise Tree Quality to High, Volumetric Lighting to Ultra, Far Shadow to High, and Particle Quality to Medium, High or Ultra. You have to restart the game if you change Particle Quality though, so I would recommend changing that last.

If you want more performance around water, try reducing water physics to 1/6.
You could possibly even try these these settings too, they're a bit more demanding though:

Far Shadow Quality: High
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: High
Particle Quality: Ultra

Near Volumetric Resolution: Ultra
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Ultra
Soft Shadows: High
Tree Quality: High
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: High

Generated on 2019-11-23 7:18 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
From what I've seen, it looks like that GPU has performance comparable to a desktop GTX 1070.
I previously used these settings on my GTX 1080 Ti for 1440p 60 fps, I think these settings could be good to use for 1080p 60 fps on a RTX 2070MQ:

If it performs well and you have the headroom for higher settings you could try to raise Tree Quality to High, Volumetric Lighting to Ultra, Far Shadow to High, and Particle Quality to Medium, High or Ultra. You have to restart the game if you change Particle Quality though, so I would recommend changing that last.

If you want more performance around water, try reducing water physics to 1/6.
You could possibly even try these these settings too, they're a bit more demanding though:

Thanks so much for the very detailed optimizations! I'm looking at a cart to get the game for $41 so this helps put a lot of confidence in a purchase decision! If I do buy it, I'll go step by step through this!

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Anyone playing on DX12? I am bc the HDR looks better, and overall I'm fine with the performance, but I continue to get what I can only describe as "shaky trees". The tree tops at random every few minutes, will shift back and forth quickly.

with all the same settings I never saw this once with Vulkan.
Ideas?

Andrea_23

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No one is trying the mod Longer Days?

"A simple mod that allows you to modify how long an in-game day lasts for. "

'nuff said
I believe it deserves *some* attention : ].

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I would but I'm too lazy at the moment, my main issue is still the weather conditions. Modding Rockstar games isn't as clean/easy as something like Witcher 3 where you literally just paste the files into a mod folder.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
No one is trying the mod Longer Days?

"A simple mod that allows you to modify how long an in-game day lasts for. "

'nuff said
I believe it deserves *some* attention : ].
I've posted about it a couple of times. I too am surprised almost noone cares, it has improved the immersion factor of the game so much for me. Playing at 6 seconds for a minute, seems like a good place to make the length of the different moments of the day last a lot so I can savour them yet fast enough to let me enjoy many of them per session.

I would but I'm too lazy at the moment, my main issue is still the weather conditions. Modding Rockstar games isn't as clean/easy as something like Witcher 3 where you literally just paste the files into a mod folder.
For this I just dropped a few .dll (or whatever) into my RDR2 folder, very fast and painless.

cuchulain

Sep 16, 2018
Anyone playing on DX12? I am bc the HDR looks better, and overall I'm fine with the performance, but I continue to get what I can only describe as "shaky trees". The tree tops at random every few minutes, will shift back and forth quickly.

Ideas?
I get exactly the same bug, i know i had added high values of sharpening in Nvidia CP, lowering them down to 0.3, made it better but still there

Coolade

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just set everything to medium or low or off, and I get good framerates and the game still looks amazing. Turn settings down lol. That's all that is needed.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Ideas?

I have the shaky / flickering tree issue too on DX12. I keep meaning to find a fix, but forget.

GrazGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I caved while it was on sale.

As I'm not getting 60fps at 4K I capped it at 30, knocked most of it to high and some ultra settings and the benchmark is a locked 30.

Having played a lot of it on Xbox One X and as my Pc is hooked up to my TV I'm happy with that.

Hoping I'm good for the rest of the game. Titan Xp and 6700k.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend who crashes every time he goes to a town. Outside of town he's fine. Anyone know of a fix for this? Besides telling him not to go to town lol

Andrea_23

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Try latest patch and switching the API. It would constantly crash when going to Valentine until I changed to Vulkan.

Other tips (follow this order):

1. Do an integrity check from RL.
  2. https://gtaforums.com/topic/939937-...4-19112019/?do=findComment&comment=1070979651 & https://gtaforums.com/topic/939937-...12019/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-1070979694 (vulkan cache files)
    1. delete also (dx12 cache files)
      1. sga_win32_60_final_init.d3d12PipelineCacheWindows
      2. sga_win32_60_final_init.d3d12WarmupCacheWindows
  3. Uninstall the nvidia drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.2.0 (better if performed from w10 safe mode)
  4. Reinstall GeForce 441.34 Hotfix driver download
GL : D

----

Meanwhile... 1.15

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
General fixes and improvements to stability and performance

So vague as to almost be menacing lol

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
[November 25, 2019] General / Miscellaneous – PC
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when changing Windows audio devices/settings while the game was running
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when launching the game after switching between Vulkan and DirectX 12
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when graphical settings were changed and applied while close to the VRAM limit
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash during loading screens when launching Story Mode or Red Dead Online
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when attempting to quit the game
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when switching between several input devices
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash during gameplay when using keyboard and mouse controls
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when transitioning between Story Mode and Red Dead Online
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when entering Photo Mode while the player was in cinematic camera mode
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash during certain weather conditions on systems with multiple graphics cards
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in graphical errors and other instability when using Vulkan with multiple graphics cards
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a random crash during gameplay when using DirectX 12
  • Improvements to address issues that resulted in random crashes during gameplay in Story Mode and Red Dead Online

Wtf

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus look at the amount of crashes fixed, wonder how many are left, if you put together all patch changelogs and look at how many things were fixed so far you can simply say that this pc release was cancer

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Didn't fix my repeatable crash. That Nvidia was able to reproduce. I've already finished the game again so at this point I just keep checking to see if they get it. Nope. Also ticket with Rockstar is so bad. They just keep copy and pasting same steps and i resend the same stuff showing still happening lol

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't fix my repeatable crash. That Nvidia was able to reproduce. I've already finished the game again so at this point I just keep checking to see if they get it. Nope. Also ticket with Rockstar is so bad. They just keep copy and pasting same steps and i resend the same stuff showing still happening lol
Im at chapter 2 now and I keep doing side stuff and exploring, how much more ?