• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Have Rockstar ever addressed the frametime spikes in Vulkan?
PmFFPit.jpg

Screenshot is from the latest patch.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[November 25, 2019] General / Miscellaneous – PC
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when changing Windows audio devices/settings while the game was running
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when launching the game after switching between Vulkan and DirectX 12
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when graphical settings were changed and applied while close to the VRAM limit
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash during loading screens when launching Story Mode or Red Dead Online
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when attempting to quit the game
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when switching between several input devices
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash during gameplay when using keyboard and mouse controls
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when transitioning between Story Mode and Red Dead Online
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash when entering Photo Mode while the player was in cinematic camera mode
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a crash during certain weather conditions on systems with multiple graphics cards
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in graphical errors and other instability when using Vulkan with multiple graphics cards
  • Improvements to address an issue that resulted in a random crash during gameplay when using DirectX 12
  • Improvements to address issues that resulted in random crashes during gameplay in Story Mode and Red Dead Online

Wtf
I've never seen in my life an update log that has so many crash fixes. How did they release the game in this state in 2019?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have Rockstar ever addressed the frametime spikes in Vulkan?
PmFFPit.jpg

Screenshot is from the latest patch.

There was something about getting the newest Nvidia drivers, because the previous drivers were at fault in combination with 4,6 core CPUs.

Other than that: The spikes are still there, even on more capable CPUs.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Can you visually see them? You have an uneven framerate there of 53... what is your target framerate and what is the refresh rate of your monitor?
120Hz G-sync display, so I'm really just targeting 40+ fps. The game is noticeably less smooth when the spikes start happening.

However, capping the FPS and having the game sit at that cap results in a perfectly smooth frametime graph. I don't really want to cap my game to ~40fps though; the higher frame rate feels so much better even with the stuttering.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I've posted about it a couple of times. I too am surprised almost noone cares, it has improved the immersion factor of the game so much for me. Playing at 6 seconds for a minute, seems like a good place to make the length of the different moments of the day last a lot so I can savour them yet fast enough to let me enjoy many of them per session.

For this I just dropped a few .dll (or whatever) into my RDR2 folder, very fast and painless.

Yeah I got around to it yesterday and it was a lot simpler than what I remember GTA5 mods being. Got that "files have been altered" warning though.

Wonder what the hold is with the weather tweak, they must not have found the setting that controls it yet.

Boy, and I went in expecting it to be a smooth experience like GTA V.
Prior to the recent crashing issues, which may have been fixed in a new NVIDIA driver update, I don't recall vanilla GTA V ever crashing on me.

Remember when everyone here was saying pre release that a 1070 was going to breeze through this game.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
120Hz G-sync display, so I'm really just targeting 40+ fps. The game is noticeably less smooth when the spikes start happening.

However, capping the FPS and having the game sit at that cap results in a perfectly smooth frametime graph. I don't really want to cap my game to ~40fps though; the higher frame rate feels so much better even with the stuttering.
Huh. I guess I would wonder then what your CPU is exactly and I wonder if that is the problem because that is very periodic there.. Is that you like moving throught he world or sitting still?
The one thing is that the RTSS graph there is lacking any undersstanding of what the frame times are... it is near flat and then it has a drop down and a spike up (but with no context how low and high respectively above and below). How is the frametime graph so flat if you are leaving your framerate uncapped with Gsync on? That looks like a framepacing error (one tick above with a corresponding tick below), which does not make sense since you are not capping externally or elsewhere. Are you? Are you capping somewhere?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

I mean variable framerate WILL result in variable frametimes, which is why capping is important for perfect smooth frametimes.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Huh. I guess I would wonder then what your CPU is exactly and I wonder if that is the problem because that is very periodic there.. Is that you like moving throught he world or sitting still?
The one thing is that the RTSS graph there is lacking any undersstanding of what the frame times are... it is near flat and then it has a drop down and a spike up (but with no context how low and high respectively above and below). How is the frametime graph so flat if you are leaving your framerate uncapped with Gsync on? That looks like a framepacing error (one tick above with a corresponding tick below), which does not make sense since you are not capping externally or elsewhere. Are you? Are you capping somewhere?
I'm capping to 117 in RTSS.

The stutters can happen when standing still or moving.

I mean variable framerate WILL result in variable frametimes, which is why capping is important for perfect smooth frametimes.
Of course, but variable frametimes are typically fine when using G-sync or Freesync. When the game isn't stuttering my graph can look like this and everything appears perfectly smooth:
GtcRgnU.jpg

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That is your problem I would imagine - turn that off. Tell me if you see that same thing happening if you do not have that on.
Just did a walk around the camp and then rode my horse out through the woods. The stuttering seems exactly the same with or without the cap in place.

Switching to DX12 seems to completely get rid of the stutters, but I've had random crashes when using that mode so I've been hesitant to switch over.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Messing with frame rate caps some more... here's the game uncapped:
5eZBmsX.jpg

Same exact spot but with a 60fps cap in RTSS:
X5rWFEq.jpg

And the same spot again, now with a 50fps cap:
unQSACZ.jpg

Not sure if I've seen a game do this before. Even though it's not hitting the cap, just having it in place at all seems to make the stutters smaller.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
5eZBmsX.jpg

X5rWFEq.jpg

unQSACZ.jpg

Not sure if I've seen a game do this before. Even though it's not hitting the cap, just having it in place at all seems to make the stutters smaller.
I am also confused, because the uncapped version shows frames spikes above and below, much like framepacing issues... which is just completely... huh?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dictator This is also an ongoing issue for me.
Capping the framerate to something way above what I'm even able to get (like 120fps) will decrease the spikes significantly.
Capping it slightly under the current framerate will sort the problem out completely.

Recorded it about two weeks ago.

Maybe it's a ryzen issue? Maybe a newer AGESA version would fix it? (stuck on 1003abba, because Asus isn't releasing a newer one for my x470 CH7 wifi), maybe it is something else. I don't know, but it's annoying and doesn't even happen everywhere in the game world.

Emko

Oct 3, 2018
Slovakia
Can you try to turn the Async Compute to 'True' in the config? Just for the kicks? What drivers are you on now?
I have similar config except 8600K so I can check when I get home. Does it matter where are you in-game wise or it's the same behavior in city/forest/camp?

Nekrono

May 17, 2018

May I recommend you cap the FPS to 50 if that's where your FPS hovers for the most time. Even with GSYNC uneven framepacing is still an issue, especially the bigger the frame lingers on screen (lower framerate) as it will cause visible judder/stutters, it's not that big of an issue with higher framerates as each frame has less time to stay on screen but with lower framerates it's best to just cap it.

That's what I'm doing with Red Dead, after tweaking my game with Dictator DF video (great work btw) I was getting anywhere from around 45ish to 60 depending on the scene and even when the framerate was fluctuating in a 3 or 4 frame difference the judder/stutter was very visible, even on GSYNC so I just capped it to 50 and I'm getting a stutter free/completely smooth experience 99% of the time.

In my opinion this is much better than having bad framepacing but higher framerate but that's just me.

EDIT: Refreshed the page and saw other examples regarding framepacing, it seems this game doesn't like your GPU being pushed to 99% usage, slightly lower GPU usage will result in better framepacing it seems. I had this same issue but capping it to a solid 50 solved it. This is on Vulkan mind you, I hear DX12 has better framepacing but worse performance so you kinda have to pick your poison I guess.

Last edited:

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could get some help with some settings help. I know I am asking for much without a lot of info, but I am not super tech savvy and think my question would be best suited here.

I am getting 27 to 35 FPS at 1440p with everything on High on average with this setup:

Intel Core i7 9700k 8 Core @4.90
A MPGZ390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard
16 Gigs of DDR4 3200 Memory
Nvidia Geforece RTX 2080ti 11gb ram

I would think I could get something better with my setup but I am obviously overlooking something. Thanks for the help!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could get some help with some settings help. I know I am asking for much without a lot of info, but I am not super tech savvy and think my question would be best suited here.

I am getting 27 to 35 FPS at 1440p with everything on High on average with this setup:

I would think I could get something better with my setup but I am obviously overlooking something. Thanks for the help!

Yes, you should be performing much better. Check what settings you have on for MSAA and Resolution Scale first off cuz my firs tthought when reading your specs and what you're getting is that you might be downsampling

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018

There is definitely something wrong. Like sredgrin said you should be performing a lot better (with 8700K/2080ti I get almost solid 60 fps at 4K, you should be closer to 80 or 90 fps at 1440p). What is your performance in other games/benchmarks?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
5eZBmsX.jpg

X5rWFEq.jpg

unQSACZ.jpg

Strange bug, especially with the consistent spikes. I don't think I've had this problem with Vulkan and I also have a 3700x, but with a 1080 Ti. Haven't played much yet though

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

Where do you have the slider settings?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, finally!

How's the game running after the performance patches? Should I still wait buying?
The game runs (mostly) fine now. You might run into the odd crash or two, but the difference is night and day compared to launch. Make sure to use the optimized settings everyone's been posting here, because they make a HUGE (up to 60+% perf increase) difference with minimal drop in quality.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Yes, finally!

How's the game running after the performance patches? Should I still wait buying?

Game runs alright but there is still a fair bit that is broken, for example the map aspect ratio on Vulkan in fullscreen is still messed up and the Companion app on mobile apps does not interface with PC version at all, which is ridiculous since it should pretty much run on the same code regardless of the host platform.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I just bought this laptop:

It should arrive next Tuesday or Wednesday, just in time for the Steam launch. What can I expect in terms of performance? Is ~80-90 FPS a reasonable target at 1080p? I'm willing to drop settings pretty hard (not the textures tho) since it's clear this game's concept of "low" is still awesome looking.

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
Had anyone managed to run this through Steam Link? It crashes when I try.

Glosc is a possible solution, but that's a hack that reverts to desktop capture mode, which has bad performance.

Using gamestream/moonlight instead now.