• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I'm tempted to get this off Green Man Gaming on the Black Friday sale.

I was wondering if the patches so far have done anything for performance/optimisation? If so, to what extent?

Thanks.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the day/night cycle and stamina still tied to framerate? I've been so wanting to replay this at high framerates but this issue is really bugging me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Is the day/night cycle and stamina still tied to framerate? I've been so wanting to replay this at high framerates but this issue is really bugging me.
Core drain is fixed. Day/night cycle never was clear wether it was an issue or not, I think? It was always really fast on consoles. I do believe there's a mod to make time progress slower, though.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Core drain is fixed. Day/night cycle never was clear wether it was an issue or not, I think? It was always really fast on consoles. I do believe there's a mod to make time progress slower, though.

I still feel dusk and dawn are way too fast, like sometimes they seem to change instantly or last like 30 seconds at best. Don't remember if it was like that on consoles.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone encountered a bug where no camp activities activate at all? I had it recently where if I go to Pearson to donate animal carcasses and things I fully press the interact button but no menu pops up at all. So I've avoided doing that for a while, but now I'm at a point in the story where everyone is having drinks and it seems like I'm meant to join in to progress, but again, nothing is happening when I press the interact button with anything. There is like a 10 second pause where it seems like the animation is meant to be playing out, but Arthur is just standing there and the prompt re-appears to Take Whiskey for example.

It would really suck if my save is corrupt somehow. Is there a validate files option of RGL?

[edit] Now everything is silent in camp other than the sounds of the campfires, when there is clearly meant to be partying and revelry happening. Its really creepy!

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone encountered a bug where no camp activities activate at all? I had it recently where if I go to Pearson to donate animal carcasses and things I fully press the interact button but no menu pops up at all. So I've avoided doing that for a while, but now I'm at a point in the story where everyone is having drinks and it seems like I'm meant to join in to progress, but again, nothing is happening when I press the interact button with anything. There is like a 10 second pause where it seems like the animation is meant to be playing out, but Arthur is just standing there and the prompt re-appears to Take Whiskey for example.

It would really suck if my save is corrupt somehow. Is there a validate files option of RGL?

[edit] Now everything is silent in camp other than the sounds of the campfires, when there is clearly meant to be partying and revelry happening. Its really creepy!
There is a verification for file integrity, try that first.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
How beneficial is an SSD for this game? Trying to decide if I should make some room or if an HDD would suffice. I can live with a long initial load but if the game is constantly loading between missions/areas I'd rather have it on my SSD.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
How beneficial is an SSD for this game? Trying to decide if I should make some room or if an HDD would suffice. I can live with a long initial load but if the game is constantly loading between missions/areas I'd rather have it on my SSD.
It's an open world so the game is constantly streaming assets from the drive to memory. It should benefit from being on SSD.

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could get some help with some settings help. I know I am asking for much without a lot of info, but I am not super tech savvy and think my question would be best suited here.

I am getting 27 to 35 FPS at 1440p with everything on High on average with this setup:

Intel Core i7 9700k 8 Core @4.90
A MPGZ390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard
16 Gigs of DDR4 3200 Memory
Nvidia Geforece RTX 2080ti 11gb ram

I would think I could get something better with my setup but I am obviously overlooking something. Thanks for the help!
You have a setup that is pretty much identical to mine and you should be getting much better than that.

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
I noticed the latest Nvidia drivers lists "enhancing the recently-released NVIDIA Control Panel Sharpening feature with support for OpenGL and Vulkan games." Anyone test that? - Will this make sharpening better in this game? When playing the game with graphics slider all the way maxed I notice some blurryness in distant objects, however turning up resolution scale tanks my performance below 60fps so looking for a different solution.

GrazGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Got some time to finally tinker with settings yesterday.

Tried with Xbox settings and the optimised settings to get 4K30 and was getting some worse drops than xbox.

Decided to try for 1440p60 with Nvidia sharpening and settled on all high settings with long shadows, ultra textures and 5/5 Geometry. I also have near volumetrics at low and far at medium.

Went to Saint Denise during the day and at night and couldn't maintain the 60 at night so dropped to 1440p50 and it's pretty stable.

Got to have that high lighting setting.

Still get drops around 47-49 in the odd place at night in Saint Denise and had to use Nvidia Inspector to force 50fps as the frampacing is poor with the in game refresh.

Out in the wilds it's pretty solid.

Pretty happy with my settings. Titan Xp, 6700k and 16gb.

The benchmark is definitely not representative of in game performance and it's definitely not one set of settings fit the whole game.

Still really need to try town+night+rain, no doubt that will mean going back to the drawing board with settings.

Anyone have any suggestions for settings I could drop from high with a minimal visual hit, not lighting, that might gain me a little more FPS? I haven't had an opportunity to watch the DF video on settings yet.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for the very detailed optimizations! I'm looking at a cart to get the game for $41 so this helps put a lot of confidence in a purchase decision! If I do buy it, I'll go step by step through this!

You're welcome!

Yeah I got around to it yesterday and it was a lot simpler than what I remember GTA5 mods being. Got that "files have been altered" warning though.

Wonder what the hold is with the weather tweak, they must not have found the setting that controls it yet.

Remember when everyone here was saying pre release that a 1070 was going to breeze through this game.

Hehe!

Got some time to finally tinker with settings yesterday.

Tried with Xbox settings and the optimised settings to get 4K30 and was getting some worse drops than xbox.

Decided to try for 1440p60 with Nvidia sharpening and settled on all high settings with long shadows, ultra textures and 5/5 Geometry. I also have near volumetrics at low and far at medium.

Went to Saint Denise during the day and at night and couldn't maintain the 60 at night so dropped to 1440p50 and it's pretty stable.

Got to have that high lighting setting.

Still get drops around 47-49 in the odd place at night in Saint Denise and had to use Nvidia Inspector to force 50fps as the frampacing is poor with the in game refresh.

Out in the wilds it's pretty solid.

Pretty happy with my settings. Titan Xp, 6700k and 16gb.

The benchmark is definitely not representative of in game performance and it's definitely not one set of settings fit the whole game.

Still really need to try town+night+rain, no doubt that will mean going back to the drawing board with settings.

Anyone have any suggestions for settings I could drop from high with a minimal visual hit, not lighting, that might gain me a little more FPS? I haven't had an opportunity to watch the DF video on settings yet.

These were some of the best performing settings I found for my GTX 1080 Ti for 1440p 60 fps, I ran Lighting on Medium though.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 144hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: Yes, Triple: On

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: Medium
Global Illumination Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Far Shadow Quality: Medium
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Medium
Reflection Quality: Low
Mirror Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Custom
Particle Quality: Low
Tessellation Quality: Ultra
TAA: Medium, FXAA: Off, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Far Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: Ultra
Soft Shadows: Medium
Grass Shadows: Low
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: Medium
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 100%
Motion Blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 100%
Grass Level of Detail: 10%
Tree Quality: Low
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: Medium
Tree Tessellation: Off

Generated on 2019-11-23 7:26 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

There could be headroom for higher settings such as raising Tree Quality to High, Volumetric Lighting to Ultra, Far Shadow to High, and Particle Quality to Medium, High or Ultra. You have to restart the game if you change Particle Quality though, so I would recommend changing that last.

If you want more performance around water, try reducing water physics to 1/6.

These are the latest settings that I'm using, they're a bit more demanding but hold 60 fps pretty well for me.

Lighting on High is incredibly demanding, I haven't really tried to optimise around it for 60 fps yet, but I've observed performance hits of around 20% with it on High, this can lead to frame rate drops below 60 fps on my system.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 144hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: Yes, Triple: On

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: Medium
Global Illumination Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Far Shadow Quality: High
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: High
Reflection Quality: Low
Mirror Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Custom
Particle Quality: Ultra
Tessellation Quality: Ultra
TAA: Medium, FXAA: Off, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: Ultra
Far Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Ultra
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: Ultra
Soft Shadows: High
Grass Shadows: Low
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: High
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 100%
Motion Blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 100%
Grass Level of Detail: 10%
Tree Quality: High
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: High
Tree Tessellation: Off

Generated on 2019-12-01 12:1 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
4 days for the Steam release! Can't wait to join you guys

But honestly I'll barely play it until my new laptop arrives on the 10th or so. Wanna wait to enjoy it with the RTX2070 and i7 9750H :)

this game can use 12 threads right?

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I have a i5 4670K @ 4,4 and a RTX 2070.
What are my chances of running this with a smooth 60fps @ 1080p? 🤔

Check your motherboard compatibility. I see Xeon 1270v3 for $85 available. It's a Haswell i7 without iGPU that fits same socket. Most Z97 boards run them perfectly. 4C/8T and 2MB more cache. Lot of titles these days simply tank at 4 threads. You can probably get most of the $ back selling the 4670. Devil's Canyon 4790k would be the best, but $$$. At that point, it starts looking smarter to do a platform replacement to a B450/Ryzen 3600 build lol.

BrianJ_OK

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could get some help with some settings help. I know I am asking for much without a lot of info, but I am not super tech savvy and think my question would be best suited here.

I am getting 27 to 35 FPS at 1440p with everything on High on average with this setup:

Intel Core i7 9700k 8 Core @4.90
A MPGZ390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard
16 Gigs of DDR4 3200 Memory
Nvidia Geforece RTX 2080ti 11gb ram

I would think I could get something better with my setup but I am obviously overlooking something. Thanks for the help!
I have a similar setup except I have an AMD 3600 with a 2080ti on 1440p and I'm getting the same frame rate you are getting. Let me know if you solve it!

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Check your motherboard compatibility. I see Xeon 1270v3 for $85 available. It's a Haswell i7 without iGPU that fits same socket. Most Z97 boards run them perfectly. 4C/8T and 2MB more cache. Lot of titles these days simply tank at 4 threads. You can probably get most of the $ back selling the 4670. Devil's Canyon 4790k would be the best, but $$$. At that point, it starts looking smarter to do a platform replacement to a B450/Ryzen 3600 build lol.

I'm holding out for the 10700K. If i've waited this long for RDR2 i guess i can wait two more months. 🙂

Oct 27, 2017
USA
[December 2, 2019] General / Miscellaneous – PC
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in a crash when running out of memory
    Any users experiencing memory-related error messages should check their virtual memory settings are correct by following the instructions on this support article
    https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360038178954/
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in potential save corruption and permanent loss of progress if the player was signed out of their Social Club account while in Story Mode
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in partial lighting of hair/fur when the Resolution Scale graphical setting was set to higher than the native resolution
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in a crash when entering the Landing Page during game startup
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in a crash during initial startup for some specific hardware configurations
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in random crashes during gameplay on systems using a Nvidia GTX 970 graphics card
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in a crash when starting the Benchmark Tool on low-end systems
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in instability on some systems running Windows 10 Version 1090 (November 2019 Update)
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in audio stuttering/stalling when the game is running at high framerates
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in pixelated/blocky rendering artifacts on shadows during some cutscenes
  • Improvements to fix an issue that resulted in rendering and lighting artifacts when the Screen Space Ambient Occlusion graphical option was set to Ultra
  • Improvements to fix several issues that resulted in rendering and lighting artifacts on some systems during gameplay
  • Improvements to fix several issues that resulted in random crashes during gameplay in Story Mode and Red Dead Online

New patch is out.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
anyone having some kind of weird flashing every once in a while? screen flash, it looks like the game ALT-TAB briefly

running in full screen

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So thanks to RDR2 I'm getting a RX 5700XT and a Ryzen 7 2700X next week.

My current system runs the game well, but I want the graphics to melt my Eyeballs.

Can I expect a solid 60 on 1080p with Ultra Settings?

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
So thanks to RDR2 I'm getting a RX 5700XT and a Ryzen 7 2700X next week.

My current system runs the game well, but I want the graphics to melt my Eyeballs.

Can I expect a solid 60 on 1080p with Ultra Settings?

I have a 5700XT/2600X combo. 60fps ultra will probably be a no go. I run the hardware unboxed recommended settings for 50-60fps at 3440 x 1440. It still looks substantially better than console.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a 5700XT/2600X combo. 60fps ultra will probably be a no go. I run the hardware unboxed recommended settings for 50-60fps at 3440 x 1440. It still looks substantially better than console.
Aye okay. Probably not the best port to expect solid performance anyway. I'm playing mostly on medium 1080 atm and it already looks better than the console versions. I'm going to try my luck with the RPS optimized settings

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The TAA at lower resolutions really does look awful in motion. I guess that's why I didn't notice it as much on the 1X because it was running native 4K. Even 1440p looks flaky when you pan the camera quickly.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
This patch fixes the crackling audio when using headphone+DAC. I never thought it would be related to high framerate. This port gets weirder and weirder.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hmm, I'm now getting more crashes than ever before.

Whatever it is, it's causing the display driver to stop responding and the game to crash.

This same driver/install worked fine before the latest patch.

Also pretty sure my "Eat 4 kinds of berries" challenge thing is bugged as it's stuck at one and I've eaten 3 of the 4.