• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Ok just went back to Saint Denis at night and there are a few spots where I'm still tanking to 45fps unless I change the resolution to 720p or gimp a bunch of settings on a 2070 Super. You can't tell me Saint Denis isn't badly optimised when I need to play at 720p to just stay at 50fps.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I picked this up from Steam. What's the consensus on best optimized settings guide? Should I just use Digital Foundry's guide using Xbox One X equivalent settings? I have a 9900k/1080 Ti running @ 1080p. Using Digital Foundry's settings, I'm getting Min 68, Max 146, Average 102 in the built in benchmark.

I used Hardware Unboxed's optimized settings and the game runs/looks pretty great for me. I have an issue with the sound but that's a bug based on my specific setup (SBZ). Otherwise I'm on a 3700x and a 2080 and am really happy with the performance.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used Hardware Unboxed's optimized settings and the game runs/looks pretty great for me. I have an issue with the sound but that's a bug based on my specific setup (SBZ). Otherwise I'm on a 3700x and a 2080 and am really happy with the performance.
Yeah, I combined HUB and Digital Foundry's settings. So far, so good. *knocks on wood*, but I haven't crashed yet either. Hopefully, most of the bugs have been patched.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
My experience with the game, so far (playing since it first became available on the RGL):

• First 3 days - couldn't even launch the game, due to errors;
  • Day 4 until the penultimate patch - after the first couple of patches, I was finally able to play. Good experience, no crashes;
  • Since the penultimate patch - 4-5 CTDs during every play session, happening at random intervals. Very annoying.

i7-7700K, 2080 Ti.

Edit: Single player/campaign only. I don't play RDO.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped playing for like 3 weeks and now when I got back in I noticed this huge flickering shadows shit, anyone else experienced this ? My ingame settings havent changed

Taken with my phone, no nvidia experience installed

nvidia driver is 441.34

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
What was the cause of the game crashing when launched through the exe again? Was it if it a controller was connected?

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ok just went back to Saint Denis at night and there are a few spots where I'm still tanking to 45fps unless I change the resolution to 720p or gimp a bunch of settings on a 2070 Super. You can't tell me Saint Denis isn't badly optimised when I need to play at 720p to just stay at 50fps.

I found that Lighting above Medium is very intensive, I've observed 20% performance hits from Lighting on High compared to Medium in Saint Denis.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh...you definitely have some settings turned on that shouldn't be.

I maintain above 50fps at 1620p on my 2070 Super (with lighting on Ultra). Above 60fps with lighting on Medium.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a place where I can download the Hardware Unboxed optimized settings, or the Digital Foundry settings?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
My experience with the game, so far (playing since it first became available on the RGL):

• First 3 days - couldn't even launch the game, due to errors;
  • Day 4 until the penultimate patch - after the first couple of patches, I was finally able to play. Good experience, no crashes;
  • Since the penultimate patch - 4-5 CTDs during every play session, happening at random intervals. Very annoying.

i7-7700K, 2080 Ti.

Edit: Single player/campaign only. I don't play RDO.

Is your GPU OC'ed? RDR2 and MW3 are two of the games that have proven my overclock unstable where 3D Mark and Heaven passed.

MW3 is the less stable game...I have to nearly drop my OC entirely for it to be stable, whereas RDR2 needs it to be dropped very slightly.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Haven't checked in with the game for a couple weeks now. Has the accelerated day/night cycle problem been patched out yet?
There's a mod called Longer Days but I'm not sure how well it works.

You can find reddit posts from a year ago complaining about the same thing so I don't think it's tied to framerate as the core drain was.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Is your GPU OC'ed? RDR2 and MW3 are two of the games that have proven my overclock unstable where 3D Mark and Heaven passed.

MW3 is the less stable game...I have to nearly drop my OC entirely for it to be stable, whereas RDR2 needs it to be dropped very slightly.

It is, but it's not a crazy OC, since I used OC Scanner. It's very stable, though. Never had any issues with other games.

I'm running RDR2 at 1800p and GPU utilization rarely exceeds 80%. And, like I said, during the first few days/weeks, the game never crashed, not even once. The issue only started after the penultimate patch.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
It is, but it's not a crazy OC, since I used OC Scanner. It's very stable, though. Never had any issues with other games.

I'm running RDR2 at 1800p and GPU utilization rarely exceeds 80%. And, like I said, during the first few days/weeks, the game never crashed, not even once. The issue only started after the penultimate patch.
Did you try setting the game to "prefer maximum performance" in the nvidia control panel under power settings?

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Did you try setting the game to "prefer maximum performance" in the nvidia control panel under power settings?

Yep, I do that for every game. I also started noticing hitches/stutters (which never happened before) and this weird bug where a large square shadow follows my character wherever he goes. I even made some videos, I'll try uploading them later.

Edit: Here's a video showing the weird shadow bug:

Some examples of the hitching that I mentioned (at 0:18 of the second video, there's a hard freeze and jump):

And some color banding, to boot:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018
Germany
Playing the Steam version with Vulkan API and recommend Hardware Unboxed graphic settings.

Played 9 hours straight with some framedrops here and there on Saturday, but it generally runs smooth. Just had 3 crashes total while already played 20 hours.

1440p, 8700k, RTX 2080, 16GB RAM, always 70+ FPS

Jan 2, 2018
I'm sorry if it's not the place to ask-but does the Steam version launches the Rockstar Game Launcher? Or just the social club thing like other Rockstar games on Steam?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm sorry if it's not the place to ask-but does the Steam version launches the Rockstar Game Launcher? Or just the social club thing like other Rockstar games on Steam?
It launches the Rockstar Games Launcher, but it isn't as intrusive as say Uplay. RGL doesn't even need your login details if your accounts are already linked.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing about that kind of stutter is that it is really easy to see any game do that. If you unlock FPS in many modern AAA games that use tons of threads and let the CPU get thrashed you can see worse frametimes on average, like greater stutter, than if you let the game cap at 70 or 80 fps or something.

We noticed this pretty handidly when testing ultra hi fps in battlefield 5. The frametime graph when you let the CPU get saturated completely in that game goes to shit with a much worse subjective experience then just capping it and letting the CPU breathe.

Question. I have a 9900ks and 2080 Super. and I am new to Gsync If I lock my framerate with RTSS and it stays above it my frametime is smooth, but if I up the setting and my framerate fluctuates beween 50-60 FPS, I get frametime spikes and the game doesn't feel smooth at all even with Gsync. .

Messing with frame rate caps some more... here's the game uncapped:
5eZBmsX.jpg

Same exact spot but with a 60fps cap in RTSS:
X5rWFEq.jpg

And the same spot again, now with a 50fps cap:
unQSACZ.jpg

Not sure if I've seen a game do this before. Even though it's not hitting the cap, just having it in place at all seems to make the stutters smaller.
Did you ever figure this out? If I cap the frame at say 50FPS where it doesn't drop below it is butter smooth, but if I cap it to 60FPS and let it fluctuate between 50-60 it is a stutterfest with frametime spikes even with Gsync. 9900KS and 2080 Super with a LG C9.

Dictator This is also an ongoing issue for me.
Capping the framerate to something way above what I'm even able to get (like 120fps) will decrease the spikes significantly.
Capping it slightly under the current framerate will sort the problem out completely.

Recorded it about two weeks ago.

Maybe it's a ryzen issue? Maybe a newer AGESA version would fix it? (stuck on 1003abba, because Asus isn't releasing a newer one for my x470 CH7 wifi), maybe it is something else. I don't know, but it's annoying and doesn't even happen everywhere in the game world.

Not only Ryzen, I have the same with a 9900KS. Did you figure anything out?

Last edited:

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Having the exact same framepacing issue pointed out above, with a 8700k. Just gave up and have been waiting for the game to get all the issues patched out, if ever.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Did you ever figure this out? If I cap the frame at say 50FPS where it doesn't drop below it is butter smooth, but if I cap it to 60FPS and let it fluctuate between 50-60 it is a stutterfest with frametime spikes even with Gsync. 9900KS and 2080 Super with a LG C9.
Not really, unfortunately. I've just been capping to a lower frame rate and I haven't really had any issues.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, unfortunately. I've just been capping to a lower frame rate and I haven't really had any issues.

Yeah, I can get it pretty good at 50fps with a little resolution scaling. At least I know it's the game now. This is my first experience with Gsync and this stuttering made me wonder what all the hype was about.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yeah, I can get it pretty good at 50fps with a little resolution scaling. At least I know it's the game now. This is my first experience with Gsync and this stuttering made me wonder what all the hype was about.
Gsync doesn't fix stutters caused by the game, it fixes the judder or micro-stutter inherent from games running at framerates not divisible by the refresh rate (so, for example, a drop to 50 FPS on a 60 Hz monitor won't cause microstutter nor tearing)

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
Playing the Steam Version. DX12, I7 8700K, GTX 2080, 16GB DDR4 and everything runs pretty smooth with Gsync. No crashes after 15hrs of gameplay either. Im happy with the performance, i expected much worse.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think I've ever had as much trouble getting a clean, stable image in a game than this. There's a blurry outline around Arthur when using any TAA, a strange haze like flicker when you pan the camera quickly and just random ghosting issues. The last patch seems to have added a lot more random flashing textures as well.

Is it just me or do the shadows looks really bad in cutscene close ups even at max?

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I don't think I've ever had as much trouble getting a clean, stable image in a game than this. There's a blurry outline around Arthur when using any TAA, a strange haze like flicker when you pan the camera quickly and just random ghosting issues. The last patch seems to have added a lot more random flashing textures as well.

Is it just me or do the shadows looks really bad in cutscene close ups even at max?

I play RDR2 at 1440p with TAA at medium with full TAA sharpening and resolution scaling at 1.250 in the menu. I also use Nvidia control panel sharpening at 0.15 and Freestyle sharpening at 0%

sure it hurts performance a bit with 1.250 but the game looks very sharp. There will always be ghosting with TAA

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I'm using Vulkan, haven't tried DX yet.

Shadows are proving to be the hardest setting to get right in this game. Soft shadows are stippled and look awful, I set them to off. Grass and fabric shadows seem to be only screen space and even with SSAO/HBAO off its jarring to see the shadows appear and disappear on the edges of the screen. In the distance on the mountains long shadows are often stippled like I saw with soft shadows. The occasional tree will have the shadows on its leaves appear and disappear based on the rotation and position of the camera.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
GTX 1070 i7 6700K 16GB DDR4 using Vulkan and Hardware Unboxed settings and targeting 1080p... so far so good! Framerate dips into the mid-50s in some heavily forested and/or populated areas, but not enough to be distracting. Only drop that was really sluggish (down to 45fps) was during the mission where you move camp from Colter to Horseshoe Overlook... something about the big caravan was just stressing my GPU hard. I've yet to try Saint Denis at night *gulp*, but have been enjoying a steady 60fps in Valentine and the surrounding region thus far.

After 10 hours of SP gameplay and another 2 hours of RDO, I've yet to experience a single crash. Only bug I've encountered is getting the "has exited unexpectedly" error when trying to launch the game with my controller active (Steam version). Hopefully that'll get patched out soon, but overall I've been pretty happy with performance. This is shaping up to be my new GOAT.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

I'm right there with you. The ghosting and weird shadow dithering is just bad. I think it's somehow tied to volumetrics, because the weird smearing/ghosting doesn't seem to happen before fog or god rays show up early in the morning.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So I tried DX12 and it seems to be working beautifully with Gsync. I only played 5 minutes so I don't know how stable it is in the long run, but I am going to give it a go
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I also tried DX12 when Rockstar fixed the crashing issue. I can play long sessions in DX12 without crashes now but when the game came out I couldn't even make it through the benchmark without a CTD.

However, despite the very smooth frame times in DX12 I was getting random large hitches where the entire game would pause for half a second. Those were way more immersion breaking for me than the uneven Vulkan frame times, so in the end I just went back to Vulkan and capped my FPS.

Hopefully DX12 doesn't give you any issues because when it's working correctly it is butter smooth.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why does this game hate Pascal? I've seen benchmarks showing it running worse than a 2060 :(

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
What was the cause of the game crashing when launched through the exe again? Was it if it a controller was connected?
AFAIK, there is is still a (dumb, if you ask me - how does this slip through testing when the game is listed on Steam as having controller support?) issue that when launching the game through Steam (the RGL-bought version or the Steam one), having any controller plugged in and controlled by Steam Input crashes the game on startup.

Steam Input hooks into games launched through Steam to provide general controller configuration. This is likely what's causing the issue at startup. Could be over-aggressive integrity checking when launching (dll hooks often regarded as a way in for cheats/game mods), but that's just me speculating here.

People have reported unplugging their controllers and replugging once the game has launched remedied the issue. Can verify this with my wired Xbox one and wired Xbox 360 controllers.

This issue is - imho - also what's causing it to fail at launching Steam Remote Play since that inherently attaches a virtual controller.

Launching from the exe without Steam involved has been working fine for me for a few weeks now, regardless of controller connectivity. This is how I currently play and enjoy the game, even streaming it to my couch using Gamestream + Moonlight.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I also tried DX12 when Rockstar fixed the crashing issue. I can play long sessions in DX12 without crashes now but when the game came out I couldn't even make it through the benchmark without a CTD.

However, despite the very smooth frame times in DX12 I was getting random large hitches where the entire game would pause for half a second. Those were way more immersion breaking for me than the uneven Vulkan frame times, so in the end I just went back to Vulkan and capped my FPS.

Hopefully DX12 doesn't give you any issues because when it's working correctly it is butter smooth.
Played for 3 hours last night and it was great. I didn't have any of those hitches you mention, thankfully. I have it locked to 60 with some drops to the mid 50s and it is perfectly smooth.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So on Vulkan the game thinks my laptop's screen is 60 Hz instead of 240 Hz and doesn't let me change it, but it seems to run at 240 Hz anyway (on borderless window at least). On DX12 it does detect the 240 Hz refresh rate correctly. Is this a common bug?

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
Getting lots of flickering textures on Arthur's character model since today's AMD update. On the plus side, frame times are far more stable and consistant.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Anyone have an issue with the latest Nvidia driver? Updating it coincided with my playthrough of RDR2 and it went straight to a blue screen crash. Thought I'd ask here because I know you all are keeping your drivers updated.

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
Uhhh...you definitely have some settings turned on that shouldn't be.

I maintain above 50fps at 1620p on my 2070 Super (with lighting on Ultra). Above 60fps with lighting on Medium.

I'm surprised how much better the 2070 Super is compared to the regular 2070 on Red Dead. I get drops to 45 FPS in campsites at night with lighting on high at 1440p.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm surprised how much better the 2070 Super is compared to the regular 2070 on Red Dead. I get drops to 45 FPS in campsites at night with lighting on high at 1440p.

Yeah when I talk about frame rate I always mean the worst case areas. So that's the camp and Saint Denis, especially at night. At 1080p I'm dropping to 45fps looking at Pearson's cart in chapter 4 until I drop a bunch of settings down to high. At 1440p and 1620p it's even worse.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
New patch notes is up. A ton of fixes and new online stuff: https://support.rockstargames.com/a...itle-Update-1-15-Notes-PS4-Xbox-One-PC-Stadia

For PC:

Story Mode
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems that caused progression issues with several Story Missions when running at high framerates
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in players being stuck and unable to move in the Story Mission – Mrs Sadie Addler, Widow
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in players being stuck and unable to move if they had camp set-up nearby the Lagras swamp
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in players being unable to eat a cooked meat if their control scheme was set to Standard FPS
  • Fixed a button conflict that occurred after remapping the 'Context Action' button to any button that is originally used when interacting with the Post Office clerk on PC
  • Fixed an issue in the Bounty Hunter Mission – Good, Honest, Snake Oil that resulted in players being unable to progress if they dropped Benedict Allbright before the Sheriff had finished his dialogue
General
  • Fixed numerous issues that caused game crashes, freezes and other stability problems during both Story Mode and Red Dead Online
  • Fixed several issues that resulted in players getting stuck on loading screens during transitions between Read Dead Online content
  • Fixed multiple issues that resulted in loss of player control while in a Read Dead Online session
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in an infinite black loading screen when repeatedly joining and leaving a Posse Photo in Red Dead Online
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in an infinite black loading screen when attempting to pay off a jail bribe in Red Dead Online
  • Improved performance on PC systems with high-end CPUs when displaying large amounts of particle effects at once

Game Menus and User Interface
  • Fixed several issues on all platforms that caused text, images, menus and other user interface elements to display incorrectly and overlap each other
  • Fixed several issues on PC systems that caused some user interface elements to be incorrectly sized or misaligned when running at 4K and ultrawide resolutions
  • Fixed several issues on PC systems that caused some text and image elements to be cut off when running at low resolutions or when using Stadia on mobile devices
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems where the player could not use the mouse to rotate the camera in some shop menus such as the Barber or Tailor
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems that resulted in a missing crosshair when opening the Pause Menu Map while using keyboard and mouse controls
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems that prevented the player from accessing the Key Mapping menu unless they loaded either Story Mode or Red Dead Online
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems that caused the 'Settings' option on the Landing Page to appear in all capitals
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems that prevented players using keyboard and mouse controls from navigating through some shop menu item using the mouse alone
  • Fixed an issue that caused overlapping text to display on the View Controls settings menu
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in text being cut off on some menus while using East Asian languages
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in some enemies being blipped with the wrong color of dot on the Radar
  • Fixed an issue that caused delays when attempting to load the Social Club menu as soon as the player launched the game
  • Fixed an issue where some images and text would be missing when hovering over items in the Pause Menu Map
  • Fixed an issue where inaccessible items for some platforms would be listed in the Compendium menu
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the Store menu from loading when accessed via the Landing Page
  • Fixed an issue that caused Dead Eye Tonic to be missing from the 'Purchases' menu in Showdown Modes
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in players being unable to access the recipes menu
  • Fixed UI issues that resulted in players still appearing as being in defensive despite recently leaving defensive mode
  • Fixed UI issues that occurred in the Free Mode Event – Trade Route
  • Fixed UI issues that made it difficult to tell if a Posse was private
  • Fixed an issue that caused the 'Give Up' prompt to repeatedly flash on screen
  • Fixed an issue that caused the 'Surrender' prompt to be unresponsive
  • Fixed inconsistencies that occurred with the displayed price of the 'Change Appearance'
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in the 'Remove Friend' option to be missing from lobbies
  • Fixed an issue that caused the 'No Mask' prompt to not work in the wardrobe
  • Fixed cases of unresponsive button prompts when navigating the Friends tab in a lobby
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in players being incorrectly blipped as hostile

Graphics and Visual Effects
  • Added the launch argument -ignorepipelinecache to fix issues for users crashing with the error message 'ERR_GFX_STATE' on boot and were previously able to play the game with no problems. For more information, please see this support article:
    https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360040482073
  • The Graphics settings menu for PC systems now displays how much VRAM is available to Red Dead Redemption 2 and how much is reserved by other applications running on the system
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems where Safe Zone and HDR settings may not be saved if changed from the Landing Page and not Story Mode or Red Dead Online
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems that caused flickering white dots on the horizon during certain times of day while MSAA is active
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems with graphical settings that restricted MSAA to a maximum of 4x on some AMD graphics cards
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems where the Benchmark Tool would not display an FPS counter while the benchmark was running
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems where the Benchmark Tool would monitor stats during scene loading, resulting in an incorrect result for the 'Min FPS' value
  • Fixed an issue on PC systems that caused some miscellaneous graphical and lighting artifacts
  • Fixed an issue on Stadia where anisotropic filtering would not activate correctly, resulting in some blurry textures
  • Fixed an issue that caused graphical artifacts in reflections when previewing Half Chaps from any wardrobe in Red Dead Online
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in a building interior not rendering correctly around the Gaptooth Breach location

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how some people claimed the PC version is ''fine'' when the game launched.

Ever since we get patches that get up to hundreds of fixes.

Goes to show how broken this game is and in what sorry ass state Rockstar decided to let it out.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Don't think anyone said it was fine, just people pointing out that demanding requirements doesn't automatically mean a game is poorly optimised. That said this game definitely does have optimisation issues and a ridiculous amount of bugs/visual glitches. I also just crashed twice in an hour after the new patch.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think anyone said it was fine, just people pointing out that demanding requirements doesn't automatically mean a game is poorly optimised. That said this game definitely does have optimisation issues and a ridiculous amount of bugs/visual glitches. I also just crashed twice in an hour after the new patch.

Seen multiple posts, mostly here on ERA on how the game is ''a good PC port''.

Even if you ignore the game's performance, this will never be a good no matter how anyone tries to spin it.