• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ice Wheels

Jul 10, 2019
I have been playing since launch on the Rockstar launcher, and never encountered any crashes until tonight. Getting consistent crashes during the game. I see a quick error message with the letters "GFX" (I think), but it goes away quick, and I am treated with the Rockstar launcher asking me to retry booting the game or booting in safe mode. I went ahead and ran an integrity test of the files, and it appeared to download some DirectX files.

It crashed when I was pressing left shift continuously and Windows pulled up a sticky keys window, and it even crashed right after I saved my game.

I may just need to reboot my PC, but this is disappointing.

RTX 2080
i7-9700k
32GB RAM

Running latest Nvidia drivers. Playing in 1440p.

EDIT - Doing some reading, looks like there are some possible fixes. Just strange to encounter these issues after 15 hours in the game without problems.

Last edited:

john385

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with a Ryzen 1700x + 1070Ti + 16GB RAM @ 1080p combo? Can it sustain a stable 60fps with decent quality? O_o

Johnny Cicala

Dec 8, 2017
Really wish I could figure out why Vulkan has randomly decided to stop working for no apparent reason in Story mode.

• It's not the save file, it works fine in DX12, though it performs worse and I get the flickering trees issue.
  • Vulkan works in the Benchmark and RDOnline.
  • I've got a fresh install of the latest drivers (after a DDU Uninstall in Safe Mode)
  • -ignorepipelinecache makes no difference.
  • I've deleted the cache files in settings for Vulkan
  • Disabled shader cache in Nvidia control panel.
Nothing I do seems to work.

Did you try this?
- Put the settings all the way to the minimum (e.g. using Performance settings in Nvidia Experience)
- load the game
- play a bit (maybe save the game once more)
- revert the settings back.

When I have this problem -ignorepipelinecache and deleting cache files doesn't work for me as well.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Have to turn most stuff down low (ultra textures, 16x af, med TAA though) but it's playing really well at 1680 x 1050 at 60fps on the MacBook Pro 16" w 5500m 4GB in bootcamp. Huge leap from the 560x in the 15" 2019 Pro.

Bootcampdrivers also just released a new adrenaline version today if anyone is interested.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did you try this?
- Put the settings all the way to the minimum (e.g. using Performance settings in Nvidia Experience)
- load the game
- play a bit (maybe save the game once more)
- revert the settings back.

When I have this problem -ignorepipelinecache and deleting cache files doesn't work for me as well.
This didn't work until the 3rd attempt for no apparent reason I can find.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and few words on the setting and why I chose them:

Textures on ultra when you have the VRAM because it doesn't really cost any performance but you want the full texture details.
AF on 16x is a no brainer: better textures with no cost.
Lighting and global illumination quality: doesn't really change anything in terms of visuals, both indoor and outdoors. Indoor performance hit can be 7% per option from medium to ultra!
Shadow quality: you want that on high. On medium, it gets blocky and the "refresh-cycle", e.g. from moving trees, is lower and shadow movement looks blocky and not smooth. Ultra really does stomp your performance, though.
Far shadow quality: you want medium at least, since low removes shadows from the distance. For more depth, use at least medium. "high" increases the quality once shadows are drawn (with "medium").
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: you definitely want that NOT disabled. It adds a lot of depth. Ultra settings noticeable more than high in some indoor areas (shelves, etc.) at only a slight performance hit.
Reflection and Mirror on high. There aren't THAT many reflecting objects in RDR compared to let's say Control. So the instances where they appear you might want them good looking. Performance hit isn't too big.
Particle quality is the only setting requiring the game to restart, hence it makes comparisons hard. I didn't see no difference but expect a slight performance boost, hence it's on medium. Snow storms etc. are very taxing, so this might help for that.
Tessellation: higher settings add more complexity, while ultra adds only minor detail only visible on side by side screenshots. For a very small performance boost I leave it at high.
TAA: It's awesome. Don't bother with FXAA or MSAA. TAA practically removes all jaggies and shimmering, if not, try the higher setting. TAA sharpening counters the blurryness (under advanced options).

I chose Vulkan because it was MUCH faster than DX12 in Doom. I didn't see much of a difference in RDR2, though. It introduces that camera stuttering bug for me, though, when playing with keyboard and mouse. So you might want to use DX12 or a gamepad when encountering that issue with Vulkan.

Near volumetric resolution I recommend medium, because low get's very blocky and "console-like". Maybe you want even "high". It does look great on high or ultra, performance hit is quite big though in instances with lot's of volumetric light shafts.
Far volumetric resolution's impact isn't that high, so is the visual impact as well. I leave it on low for a small gain in performance.
Particle Lighting quality: Didn't notice any difference so I left it on high.
Soft shadows: differences are very subtle and only affects certain shadows by the sun. Self-shadow from Arthur doesn't seem to be affected by the sun, strangely. Left it on medium to expect a small performance gain.
Grass shadow: same as soft shadows. Differences are barely visible. Even on low, Grass and small stones cast shadows.
Long shadows: you might want them because they really look great in sunset and sunrise. It's the same as in GTAV and long shadows were needed when a car's headlights should cast shadows. Instances in RDR2 are obviously more rare, but I'd leave them on.
Water reflection: you definitely want that on high. Medium and low are very blocky, blurry and have visibly less detail. Performance hit isn't that huge.
Water refraction: couldn't test it yet, left it on high.
Water physics quality: you want that as low as possible. Higher settings are literally KILLING the performance for barely noticeable effect. In fact, I didn't notice anything game changing. So use only a few clicks, maybe even go for the lowest. Water still looks awesome.
TAA sharpening: personal preference.
Reflection MSAA: I expect a performance hit while I don't think that the majority of reflections need MSAA. Didn't test it thoroughly, though.
Geometry level of detail: another huge performance slider. Don't use the lowest setting as it flattens many objects in the distance and removes entire geometries at distances. The second lowest enables real geometry in the distance. Further levels only increase accuracy of said geometry. Differences only noticeable on side by side screenshots.
Grass level of detail: increases draw distance. Huge performance hit. If you aim for 30fps, increase for excellent graphics fidelity, otherwise use lower settings but again not the lowest.
Tree quality: Affects very far draw distance. Performance impact from low to ultra is about 5%. Difference only visible on side by side screenshots, though.
Parallax Occlusion Mapping: I want as much details as possible on textures so I chose high. Performance hit is very small but measurable. One user reported pop-ins on settings below high. In my experience this happens only at the distances I wouldn't notice.
Decal quality: shouldn't really have a huge impact. Just in case ultra is bugged or too much when blood and bullets flying around I left it on high. It should only affect performance when taking a lot of space in your screen frame.
Fur quality: I love fur. Gimme the best fur available! It should only affect performance when taking a lot of space in your screen frame.

EDIT: Added colors roughly indicating performance hit. The more red, the greater the performance hit. Green means no measurable performance hit. Yellow means only a minor hit in some instances. Red means big performance hit, darkest red means huge performance hit.
EDIT2: Updated Tree Quality after further testing.
EDIT3: Updated Lighting and Global Illumination. See screenshots below:

Lighting and Global Illumination on medium:
htDGl9H.jpg

Both settings on ultra:
PR6CwY1.jpg

I followed the instructions in this post and am getting generally 60fps at 1440p which is great. As good as this post is, have they patched/changed anything in the game to optimise it better, so therefore any other settings to change?

Aside from that, I bounced off RDR2 twice on consoles, I just found it so unwieldy to play but I feel M+KB could be a game changer.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I followed the instructions in this post and am getting generally 60fps at 1440p which is great. As good as this post is, have they patched/changed anything in the game to optimise it better, so therefore any other settings to change?
Hi Observer, my post is now quite dated because a) a bit more testing revealed that there some settings quite more relevant in terms of fidelity and performance than I first wrote and b) DF did a quite elaborated video on RDR2's settings and performance.

I'd recommend to watch the video from Digital Foundry.

On the other hand, if you hit your target, just stick with it, be happy and keep playing instead of fiddling around even more.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hi Observer, my post is now quite because a) a bit more testing revealed that there some settings quite more relevant in terms of fidelity and performance than I first wrote and b) DF did a quite elaborated video on RDR2's settings and performance.

I'd recommend to watch the video from Digital Foundry.

On the other hand, if you hit your target, just stick with it, be happy and keep playing instead of fiddling around even more.

Cool I'll give that a watch thanks. Thanks for the post again was a great help.

Oct 29, 2017
My save also won't load sometimes on Vulkan. It's really a hassle because DX12 takes forever to load and runs worse so I much prefer Vulkan, however the thing I do to fix it when it happens is I launch the game in DX12, load my save (and wait like 5 minutes for it to load), play for a bit, save, switch to Vulkan, relaunch the game and then my save will load... for some reason. I hope this gets fixed soon.

drb

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who has experienced an issue where the game randomly decides to stop progressing during a quest? Every NPC becomes non-interactable, you can't open your item wheel and hitting escape only shows the background, not the options. Only way out is alt+f4 which may or may not lead to a bluescreen. Then the game won't start again unless I verify the game files.

Happens every session I play. So incredibly frustrating.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Anyone who has experienced an issue where the game randomly decides to stop progressing during a quest? Every NPC becomes non-interactable, you can't open your item wheel and hitting escape only shows the background, not the options. Only way out is alt+f4 which may or may not lead to a bluescreen. Then the game won't start again unless I verify the game files.

Happens every session I play. So incredibly frustrating.
If bluescreens are involved and your game data gets corrupted then there's something wrong with your hardware.

If you have your CPU overclocked then disable it.

drb

Oct 28, 2017
If bluescreens are involved and your game data gets corrupted then there's something wrong with your hardware.

If you have your CPU overclocked then disable it.

That seems unfortunate, since I don't have any old components still lingering in my build. They're all in their factory state to keep temps down, and haven't ran into any severe problems such as this before. Monitoring during gameplay hasn't revealed anything unusual from what I've gathered. It's too early for replacements dammit.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my current settings and I'm never going below 60fps. I might raise some settings. I'm usually in the 75-90+ range.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 144hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: No, Triple: On

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: Medium
Global Illumination Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: Medium
Far Shadow Quality: Medium
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Ultra
Reflection Quality: Low
Mirror Quality: High
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Custom
Particle Quality: Medium
Tessellation Quality: Medium
TAA: Medium, FXAA: Off, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Far Volumetric Resolution: Low
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: High
Soft Shadows: High
Grass Shadows: Medium
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: On
Water Refraction Quality: High
Water Reflection Quality: High
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 100%
Motion Blur: Off
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 79%
Grass Level of Detail: 50%
Tree Quality: Medium
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: High
Tree Tessellation: On

Generated on 2019-12-27 22:50 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Updated Nvidia drivers, updated bios, game wouldn't launch so I refunded. Didn't feel like wasting more of my time trying to fix something they should. I'll buy it again in a couple of months to see if it works because I do want to play it.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Messed with the settings in the OP and confirmed that it's nothing to do with the fps that's making my experience really poor in this. I've gotten the fps to 70-80fps pretty consistent and it doesn't look any different than 50-60fps. Even at 70-80fps when turning the camera it's just chug chug chug chug chug even on open roads.

It's 100% stutter that's killing this for me on my 2080ti and i9900k @ 3.6ghz with m2 SSD. I tried both stutter changes in the OP and they didn't do anything. Any ideas on how to reduces the choppiness of the game? I have no idea what's causing it.

Also visually, changing the distance level of detail in the OP made a huge visual difference. Felt like the AFx16 was broken before but now looks pretty detailed as far as I can see which gives a nice picture. If I can just get rid of the sluggish/choppiness of the game it'll be a great looker.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
So I went ahead and made a video of what the game performance looks for on mine. My fps counter is showing ~65-85fps during this video and never dropping below 60fps yet you can see it looks choppy as hell:

I'm also running on a gsync monitor with gsync on if that could be making any difference. Have the latest Nvidia drivers and every other PC game I've been playing runs fine and smooth.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So I went ahead and made a video of what the game performance looks for on mine. My fps counter is showing ~65-85fps during this video and never dropping below 60fps yet you can see it looks choppy as hell:

I'm also running on a gsync monitor with gsync on if that could be making any difference. Have the latest Nvidia drivers and every other PC game I've been playing runs fine and smooth.
Did you try to play the game on low/lower settings and see if it's still choppy?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Did you try to play the game on low/lower settings and see if it's still choppy?

Yeah, on low settings, lower resolution than 1440p it runs smoother, but even on 720p I still get a little bit of that stutter/choppiness but it's barely noticable. But I'm not gonna play on 720p or lowest settings. If I gotta do that would rather run 4k maxed out at 30fps which doesn't stutter at 30fps cap.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, on low settings, lower resolution than 1440p it runs smoother, but even on 720p I still get a little bit of that stutter/choppiness but it's barely noticable. But I'm not gonna play on 720p or lowest settings. If I gotta do that would rather run 4k maxed out at 30fps which doesn't stutter at 30fps cap.
I'd try turning off gsync and using RTSS to lock the framerate. In most games it's not necessary, but this game really benefits from it. My game stutters just as badly without it, but with it on it's very smooth.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I'd try turning off gsync and using RTSS to lock the framerate. In most games it's not necessary, but this game really benefits from it. My game stutters just as badly without it, but with it on it's very smooth.

When locking framerate at 60fps with RTSS and gsync off, should you enable vsync or triple buffering?

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
Have you tried emptying the standby list with RAM Map? That completely cures stutter in some other games for me. And I agree that this title needs to have a locked frame rate to feel smooth. After a couple of months of tweaking I ended up settling on a locked 35fps at 3400 x 1440 with 1.25 resolution scale, largely ultra settings. It looks incredible and is smooth enough with a controller. I really dislike the way the game looks sans down sampling so this is it for me.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Have you tried emptying the standby list with RAM Map? That completely cures stutter in some other games for me. And I agree that this title needs to have a locked frame rate to feel smooth. After a couple of months of tweaking I ended up settling on a locked 35fps at 3400 x 1440 with 1.25 resolution scale, largely ultra settings. It looks incredible and is smooth enough with a controller. I really dislike the way the game looks sans down sampling so this is it for me.

So this actually fixed it! Was night and day and even at like 50fps when fairly maxed out felt buttery smooth on gsync. As I played it got a little worse over time but still pretty smooth and I can live with that. I wonder if there's a ram memory leak kinda thing.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
So this actually fixed it! Was night and day and even at like 50fps when fairly maxed out felt buttery smooth on gsync. As I played it got a little worse over time but still pretty smooth and I can live with that. I wonder if there's a ram memory leak kinda thing.

Glad you got it sorted! It's wierd thing for sure. AC Origins was utterly unplayable for me without this fix. It had HUGE second long stutters, just an absolute disaster. But, Odyssey doesn't really require it. I've just gotten into the habit of doing this before I play any game, just in case. I'm assuming it's some kind of issue with Windows itself, not Red Dead per se. Anyway, enjoy the game!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone with a 1070/i5 7600k recently given this a shot?

I'm thinking of grabbing it on the Epic Store for $37 before the sale ends, but the mixed impressions have me hesitant.

If I can't handle 1440p/60, then I'll just stick with BoneX

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

I'm thinking of grabbing it on the Epic Store for $37 before the sale ends, but the mixed impressions have me hesitant.

1070 at 1440p/60fps is probably no bueno unless you're happy to run at medium/low and even then it could be a little flakey. Depends on how much you value 60fps because the game would look worse than the X version at that point. I've also encountered a fair few bugs/glitches that never happened on Xbox.

Feels like you've been in here for a while still thinking about it so maybe just try it, pretty sure you can refund within a few hours.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

I have to do mostly medium settings for a i7 7700 + 1070 in 1080p; and that doesn't guarantee 60fps.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
1070 at 1440p/60fps is probably no bueno unless you're happy to run at medium/low and even then it could be a little flakey. Depends on how much you value 60fps because the game would look worse than the X version at that point. I've also encountered a fair few bugs/glitches that never happened on Xbox.

Feels like you've been in here for a while still thinking about it so maybe just try it, pretty sure you can refund within a few hours.
I have to do mostly medium settings for a i7 7700 + 1070 in 1080p; and that doesn't guarantee 60fps.
Yeah I've been lurking for a while hoping some magic patch would appear to improve optimization lol

Guess I'll skip out on this one

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've been lurking for a while hoping some magic patch would appear to improve optimization lol

Guess I'll skip out on this one
I keep going back and forth with different settings to try and make it the best looking, while a stable 60+ frame rate lol. With my 1440p rig (Ryzen 3700x/2080ti), I can't keep it at 60fps with everything set to HIGH with a few ULTRA exceptions.

Watching msi afterburner numbers while playing, the game isn't using the full cpu/gpu mem/system ram. /shrugs What is causing the bottle neck? Dunno.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Vulkan benchmark performance is horrible some how. Getting avg 62 on dx12 yet avg 40 for Vulkan. Not sure what's going on.

8700k @ 5.0 and 2080Ti.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
I just want to achieve relatively stable 60fps at 1440p with my 1070 Ti but I'm having a hard time.. with the X1X settings. It's mostly fluctuating around 45-50.

16 GB/3700X

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I changed from fullscreen to borderless window and it's PERFECT!! Smooth as butter now!

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Is a 1050Ti4GB, 16GB RAM, and i5 6600 unreasonable to expect 1080p, 60fps, on-par with/or slightly better than consoles?

What's the least expensive place to get RDR2 for PC now? (And what're the sites to avoid purchasing from?)

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Is a 1050Ti4GB, 16GB RAM, and i5 6600 unreasonable to expect 1080p, 60fps, on-par with/or slightly better than consoles?

What's the least expensive place to get RDR2 for PC now? (And what're the sites to avoid purchasing from?)

That card can't get 60 fps even on low at 1080p.

You can match console settings at 30 fps witha mix of low-medium. and Ultra textures.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty tired of losing a bunch of time, especially while hunting, due to forgetting to save and then the game crashing from the err_gfx_state thing with Vulkan, I forgot about the launch argument, does that actually work?

Dec 25, 2018
how would an i5 6500 and a gtx 1080 be at 3440x1440?, have 16gb of ddr4 don't worry, planning on going to ryzen 3000 sometime soon.

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017
I'm pretty tired of losing a bunch of time, especially while hunting, due to forgetting to save and then the game crashing from the err_gfx_state thing with Vulkan, I forgot about the launch argument, does that actually work?
Yes, it works for me. Here's the info:

Is there no way to completely fix the Dx12 stutter/freezes that occur every time you leave a menu or occasionally in gameplay? It's not terrible, but annoying. I've tried the exemption a la Control, which had the exact same issue, but I still see it here unfortunately.

Vulkan has constant unstoppable microstutter (as you can see if you check frametimes, I am super sensitive to this issue) and is completely unplayable unfortunately.

2080, latest drivers, running 58 fps RTSS cap with Gsync in 4K (using 5/6 scaling). Rare drops to 55ish that I haven't been able to eliminate, but it's mostly very smooth, just the lockups that are annoying and have got me killed.

Edit: I am also using empty standby list. 16GB ram, 2700x, can't see any correlation between stutters and load.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it works for me. Here's the info:

Is there no way to completely fix the Dx12 stutter/freezes that occur every time you leave a menu or occasionally in gameplay? It's not terrible, but annoying. I've tried the exemption a la Control, which had the exact same issue, but I still see it here unfortunately.

Vulkan has constant unstoppable microstutter (as you can see if you check frametimes, I am super sensitive to this issue) and is completely unplayable unfortunately.

2080, latest drivers, running 58 fps RTSS cap with Gsync in 4K (using 5/6 scaling). Rare drops to 55ish that I haven't been able to eliminate, but it's mostly very smooth, just the lockups that are annoying and have got me killed.

Edit: I am also using empty standby list. 16GB ram, 2700x, can't see any correlation between stutters and load.
I put it in Borderless Window mode and haven't seen a stutter since.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this game such a technical mess, you wouldn't think rockstar especially would release a game in this state