• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017
I put it in Borderless Window mode and haven't seen a stutter since.
That unfortunately causes a lot of fps drops to the 40s for me that happen intermittently, almost like it still stutters but it's much smoother. I'll test it again. Going to give async compute and Vulkan a go as well.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What kind of settings should I use on a 2080 for 60fps 1440p?

With my settings I've noticed that some fire effects can have significant impacts on the performance, and I've seen dips below 60 fps because of it.
IIRC, I've seen this even with Particle Quality set to low, but I haven't extensively tested the Particle Quality settings out since some of the most recent updates to the game, so I'm not sure if things have improved there.

There maybe some headroom to increase some settings like the Volumetric Resolution settings, but you might want to give them a try:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 144hz, Windowed: No, Vsync: Yes, Triple: Off

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: Medium
Global Illumination Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Far Shadow Quality: High
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Medium
Reflection Quality: Low
Mirror Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Custom
Particle Quality: Medium
Tessellation Quality: High
TAA: Medium, FXAA: On, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Far Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: Ultra
Soft Shadows: Medium
Grass Shadows: Low
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Off
Water Refraction Quality: High
Water Reflection Quality: High
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 100%
Motion Blur: On
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 100%
Grass Level of Detail: 40%
Tree Quality: Medium
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: High
Decal Quality: High
Fur Quality: Medium
Tree Tessellation: Off

Generated on 2020-01-05 17:40 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

Last edited:

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
With my settings I've noticed that some fire effects can have significant impacts on the performance, and I've seen dips below 60 fps because of it.
IIRC, I've seen this even with Particle Quality set to low, but I haven't extensively tested the Particle Quality settings out since some of the most recent updates to the game, so I'm not sure if things have improved there.

There maybe some headroom to increase some settings like the Volumetric Resolution settings, but you might want to give them a try:

Thanks for this, I plan to try your settings too on my 1080 Ti build at 1440p.

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017
Today's Nvidia driver seems to be an improvement. I haven't done any measurements, but stuttering and drops in Saint Denis are quite a lot fewer for me.

Might also be placebo, but turning async compute to true seems to have lessened Dx12 stutters as well.

Edit: Nevermind, still happens. It is a bit smoother overall though.

Last edited:

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017
A brilliant person in the PC RDR subreddit has basically found out how to fix Vulkan:

I was a bit surprised to see that this totally works! Gone are the odd frametiming issues that was so terrible it made the game semi-chug constantly for those of us that are sensitive to this. I haven't played enough to fully confirm, but the 0,5 second frametime spikes/stutters in the bench are gone. I saw one "stutter" (looked like tearing which it cant be, odd), but that was when I generally drop to 50ish FPS in the bench, riding out of Saint Denis.

nVidia sharpening also works in Vulkan (was fixed in the latest Game Ready driver) with this, it looks like. Min and max FPS are also significantly higher. It's now just a 3 FPS increase for me to go to DX12, and the cost is totally worth it as I don't have to endure the super weird DX12 10-15 second episodes of FPS drops to 20 FPS that occured for absolutely no reason. You also don't have to be spooked by the shaking trees.

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
A brilliant person in the PC RDR subreddit has basically found out how to fix Vulkan:

I was a bit surprised to see that this totally works! Gone are the odd frametiming issues that was so terrible it made the game semi-chug constantly for those of us that are sensitive to this. I haven't played enough to fully confirm, but the 0,5 second frametime spikes/stutters in the bench are gone. I saw one "stutter" (looked like tearing which it cant be, odd), but that was when I generally drop to 50ish FPS in the bench, riding out of Saint Denis.

nVidia sharpening also works in Vulkan (was fixed in the latest Game Ready driver) with this, it looks like. Min and max FPS are also significantly higher. It's now just a 3 FPS increase for me to go to DX12, and the cost is totally worth it as I don't have to endure the super weird DX12 10-15 second episodes of FPS drops to 20 FPS that occured for absolutely no reason. You also don't have to be spooked by the shaking trees.
They just released the 441.87 drivers yesterday. That should include the fixes from the .71 beta.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
This game is very punishing on Nvidia hardware. Especially on Maxwell/Pascal. I can't get over 60fps avg. at PS4 quality settings, 1080p like I would in pretty much every game with my heavily OC'd GTX 970. DX12 is even worse.
CPU: 3700X
RAM: 16GB RAM

Jun 26, 2018
I tried buying and installing this game and I couldn't even get it to run without crashing, and then after trying some things to fix it, it couldn't even launch the game.

Steam opened the rockstar launcher and the rockstar launcher just said I didn't own the game.

I'm gonna steer way clear of this game until there are confirmation out there that it's somewhat functional.

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah, just checked my install log and it went from 1.1.126 to the 1.1.130 runtime version.
I did some more testing now and you're right about the drivers having the same improvements.

Tried both again and what I noticed is that sometimes the game starts and it's stuttering constantly. Most times it's perfect. This happened on both drivers. I can't see any correlation for this happening either.

So that doesn't make any sense at all. At least I can run it in Vulkan smooth now, thankfully, just have to restart it and try again if it's Chuggathon 2020.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a settings list for getting 4k60 (doesn't need to be locked) on a 2080Ti?
I just used Hardware Unboxed RDR2 optimal settings for mine. Seems smooth, but using DX12 as Vulkan is some how odd on my PC. Benchmarks has it half the performance of DX12. Haven't checked if I'm using the latest Vulkan RT.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
Intel i5-6600 - GTX 1060. Settings low and medium (ultra textures):

Intel i5-6600 - RX 5700. Same settings:

But those numbers don't tell the truth.
In the latest section of the benchmark (the shooting in the city), the framerate drops very badly.

A new CPU is coming...

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't updated to the latest drivers yet, but the amount of crashing is just fucking unbearable. I had to switch to using DX12 to stop getting GFX_STATE crashes too, but foliage wind effects are bugged.

Does anyone know if there's a mod to tone down or disable the bloom? The exaggerated lighting messes with the realism of a lot of the scenes for me.

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah, I was very happy about the Vulkan fixes, but the garbage of course crashes after a while with that. Fantastic work Rockstar. How is this not fixed.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So, now I'm crashing as the game finishes loading with the err_gfx_state error with the launch argument added and wiping out the sga files, cool. Removing it and going to see what happens now, crashes again I'll remove my settings file. Ugh.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
What's going on to cause these crashes so much for some, and then not at all for others?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
What's going on to cause these crashes so much for some, and then not at all for others?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was working mostly fine for me for a while then the err_gfx issur came back. Now I've deleted my settings file and switched to DX12 for it to load, only takes just less than forever. I've updated to the newest Nvidia driver too. I guess at least my save isn't corrupt. I don't have time to do anything else with this now since I've wasted the remainder of my free time before going to work.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So, not sure since I didn't try before doing so if it's what fixed it or if it was just my booting up my PC again but I verified the game integrity and after checking the files it downloaded something, didn't pay attention to what but after doing that and starting the game it worked with Vulkan again.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Just to say the following settings are working well for me at 2160p on a 2080Ti (with G-sync):

DX12
Texures: ultra
Anisotropic: x16
Lighting: ultra
Global illum: high
Shadow: high
Far shadow: high
SSAO: ultra
Reflection: medium
Mirror: ultra
Water: custom
Volumetrics: custom
Particle: ultra
Tessellation: ultra
TAA: high
FXAA and MSAA: off
Near volumetric: low
Far volumetric: medium
Volumetric lighting: high
Unlocked Raymarch: off
Particle lighting: medium
Soft shadows: ultra
Grass shadows: high
Long shadows: on
Full Res SSAO: off
Water refraction: medium
Water reflection: high
Water physics: half
TAA sharpening: max
Motion blur: off
Reflection MSAA: off
Geometry level: max
Grass level: half
Tree Quality: ultra
Parrallax Occlusion: ultra
Decal: high
Fur: High
Tree tessellation: off

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh, back to crashing on load, like last time it was when I saved at Horseshoe overlook. Guess I'll try switching to DX12 and moving somewhere else and see if that works, if it loads.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Man, the continued problems with this game for some people is such a shame. Especially so because I've had a really quite good experience with it. It crashed only once for me on the very first boot up on launch day (I'm now in Chapter 6) and the settings I have keep me locked at 60fps for 95% of the time (g-sync means the dips to the high 50s arent too bad).

(I'm on a 4770k, 1080Ti, Vulkan).

When it isn't crashing and you find some good settings, it's a fantastic game.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Well it did work but using DX12 is dreadful mainly because of the massively increased loading times for me, like at least 10 times longer despite being installed on an SSD. Saving outside of Horseshoe Overlook and switching back to Vulkan also worked though. Someday I'll get out of Chapter 2 as well.

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
There was some sort of update today. going from .13 build to .17. Have had four disconnects in the past 30 mins.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
Is there a graphical setting that effects the silhouetting around the characters? It's very distracting sometimes and breaks immersion. On my current playthings Arthur looks like he's standing in front of a green screen half the time.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
This game is very punishing on Nvidia hardware. Especially on Maxwell/Pascal. I can't get over 60fps avg. at PS4 quality settings, 1080p like I would in pretty much every game with my heavily OC'd GTX 970. DX12 is even worse.
CPU: 3700X
RAM: 16GB RAM

I have a Ryzen 2700X and 1070 Ti running at 1440p and I'm playing with everything on very high, seems super smooth, no Gsync monitor or anything. Will check in-game bench and see exactly what I'm getting.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Once again I am reminded of Rockstar's fucking arrogance in not letting you save whenever you want, and not even saving checkpoints to disk - so if you get a crash at the end of a DOUBLE MISSION (Chapter 5) congratulations on wasting an hour of your fucking life.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Here is a video for my medium settings on my Alienware R4 17".

Settings:
Intel i7-7700HQ
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, Vulkan
1920 x 1080, 60hz, Windowed: undefined, Vsync: Yes, Triple: On

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: Medium
Global Illumination Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: Medium
Far Shadow Quality: Medium
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Medium
Reflection Quality: Medium
Mirror Quality: Medium
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Medium
Particle Quality: Medium
Tessellation Quality: Medium
TAA: Medium, FXAA: Off, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Far Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: Medium
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: Medium
Soft Shadows: Medium
Grass Shadows: Medium
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: On
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: Medium
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 100%
Motion Blur: Off
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 79%
Grass Level of Detail: 80%
Tree Quality: Medium
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: Medium
Decal Quality: Medium
Fur Quality: Medium
Tree Tessellation: Off

Generated on 2020-01-15 11:47 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
This plays surprisingly well on the new 16" MacBook Pro in Bootcamp. (Radeon RX 5500m 4GB GDDR6)

60fps RDR2 on that 500 nit IPS screen is pretty sexy.

(It's a 16:10 screen, so 1680 x 1050, ultra textures, 8x AF, medium lighting AO and TAA, mostly low settings otherwise, Medium water reflection/refraction, decals fur, etc.)

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Just had a crash right as I was about to deliver a live bounty lol. Like, literally pressed "E" to get off the horse, and bam! lol Dangit.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
C/p'ing from the OT:

I had no problems with this game for 30 hours now I can't play half an hour without getting a gfx error crash. What should I do? I already deleted the vulkan files in the documents and verified the Steam installation files.

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017
Is there a graphical setting that effects the silhouetting around the characters? It's very distracting sometimes and breaks immersion. On my current playthings Arthur looks like he's standing in front of a green screen half the time.
That is the game's TAA implementation most likely. It is put simply, bad. But the game looks horrid without it, so the ghosting and sometimes odd silhouettes are imo worth it. Turn on nVidia sharpening or use other sharpening to improve it a bit, but not too much as you'll probably just worsen the issue.

C/p'ing from the OT:

I had no problems with this game for 30 hours now I can't play half an hour without getting a gfx error crash. What should I do? I already deleted the vulkan files in the documents and verified the Steam installation files.
DX12. It does not crash, but has weird stutter very occasionally, but you might have other issues. Vulkan is not stable, it will eventually crash (it takes like 4-5 hours for me and generally if I left the game idle, but it always crashes eventually).

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
That is the game's TAA implementation most likely. It is put simply, bad. But the game looks horrid without it, so the ghosting and sometimes odd silhouettes are imo worth it. Turn on nVidia sharpening or use other sharpening to improve it a bit, but not too much as you'll probably just worsen the issue.

DX12. It does not crash, but has weird stutter very occasionally, but you might have other issues. Vulkan is not stable, it will eventually crash (it takes like 4-5 hours for me and generally if I left the game idle, but it always crashes eventually).

Thanks, I'll give DX12 a try. I'll take stutter over crashes.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I just want to say that Disable Fullscreen Optimisations appears to have fixed my crashing issues (on DX12) and I was able to finish the game.

I ignored the recommendations to hit this setting, as it's a boilerplate recommendation that never produces results - this is the first time it has actually fixed crashing in a game for me, so give it a try.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg

Ok thanks. At least I know what is causing it.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Small issue I've had since the start in case any of you know the answer,

I'm using a DS4 through steam native support. After a mission or when I pick up collectibles and it says "HOLD START FOR DETAILS" if I hold start it always just opens the map like pressing, not holding, start and I can't ever pull up the details which is mildly annoying. Any idea what is going on and fixes?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So this game is never gonna run well on quad cores? Might have to wait until my next system if that's the case.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a clear performance difference between vulkan and dx12 at this point?
Running on a r5 2600 and rx 5700xt and my FPS rarely drops below 60, averaging in the 70s at 1440p on dx12. Haven't had many issues yet, hope that means it's been fixed up a bit since launch

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
So this game is never gonna run well on quad cores? Might have to wait until my next system if that's the case.
My laptop (Alienware R4 17) with a i7 7700hq and a GTX 1070 run the game locked 60fps on medium settings 1080p. Let me get my 4770 + 2070 Super hooked back up and see what it can do.