• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend the Smart Sharp shader for Reshade.

Smart Sharp
A Smart Bilateral Sharpening filter that uses depth to gradually phase out its effect to keep very distant objects from becoming sharp. Because who wants razor-sharp clouds? Birds don't, so why should you.

It's really good! Close objects are nice and sharp while distant objects and the sky/clouds are soft so it isn't distracting like other sharpening filters IMO.

Screenshots at 4K x0.75 render scale with TAA on high and in-game sharpening turned off.

Rqu5nXq.jpg
N0QbOt9.jpg

Ee92vwD.jpg
GEa2kcT.jpg

I'm still experimenting with the depth map setting but used the default settings for the screenshots.

Last edited:

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I bought this in a stupor last night and have since been worrying about it
already installed but haven't fired it up yet (steam)

I can still at least try it out for a cpl hours and refund if it runs like shit, yeah? I don't refund on steam often

Liked what I played on ps4 but it's just not real accessible most the time. want an at least decent port on my pc.

6700k/1070
edit:
okay, 2 hours. I spend that much time in the graphics settings of games I know I want
wish it was longer, esp if I have to sit through the tutorial before fiddling with things.
actually, if that's the case I might insta refund. isn't that segment like an hour?
edit2:
fuck it. will complain back
I also have a 1070/6700K combo and get fairly consistent 60fps at 1080p in most areas of the game at a mix of medium to ultra settings. I use the Vulcan API and the optimization settings recommendations from Hardware Unboxed. Some areas with lots of objects and NPCs, like your camp, tend to run around 55fps. For some reason, being near the fire in the camp in chapter 3 would often drop me to around 48fps. The main drag in Strawberry also usually runs in the low 50s. Those are the main performance issues I've noticed after 140+ hours of gameplay. I also encountered the "GFX error" bug a couple times, though running the graphics benchmark fixed that both times. I recommend sticking with it as it's a hell of a game. Nothing really compares for me.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I also have a 1070/6700K combo and get fairly consistent 60fps at 1080p in most areas of the game at a mix of medium to ultra settings. I use the Vulcan API and the optimization settings recommendations from Hardware Unboxed. Some areas with lots of objects and NPCs, like your camp, tend to run around 55fps. For some reason, being near the fire in the camp in chapter 3 would often drop me to around 48fps. The main drag in Strawberry also usually runs in the low 50s. Those are the main performance issues I've noticed after 140+ hours of gameplay. I also encountered the "GFX error" bug a couple times, though running the graphics benchmark fixed that both times. I recommend sticking with it as it's a hell of a game. Nothing really compares for me.
I kept it and I'm glad I did. Haven't even really felt the need to tweak it much. :)

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, for real this time... I did some more tweaking with the settings and the performance is top notch with this go 'round. Never dips below 60, even at night in St. Denis.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, Vulkan
2560 x 1440, 144hz, Windowed: undefined, Vsync: No, Triple: On

Texture Quality: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Lighting Quality: High
Global Illumination Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Far Shadow Quality: High
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Ultra
Reflection Quality: High
Mirror Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Custom
Volumetrics Quality: Custom
Particle Quality: Ultra
Tessellation Quality: Ultra
TAA: Medium, FXAA: Off, MSAA: 0

Near Volumetric Resolution: High
Far Volumetric Resolution: Medium
Volumetric Lighting Quality: High
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On
Particle Lighting Quality: Medium
Soft Shadows: High
Grass Shadows: Medium
Long Shadows: On
Full Resolution Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Off
Water Refraction Quality: Medium
Water Reflection Quality: High
Water Physics Quality: 50%
Resolution scale: 100%
TAA Sharpening: 100%
Motion Blur: Off
Reflection MSAA: Off
Geometry Level of Detail: 60%
Grass Level of Detail: 40%
Tree Quality: High
Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: Ultra
Decal Quality: Ultra
Fur Quality: High
Tree Tessellation: Off

Generated on 2020-02-06 22:5 with Forceflow's RDR2 settings parser (https://rdr2.forceflow.be)

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
starting to get really mad here...
can't stop playing the game, but it crashes more and more the further in I get. I am 40.1% progress on my save.

the Valentine bank robbery mission with Bill crashes every time. the actual crash spot varies, but in 10+ attempts, I have not been able to get past cracking two of the safes. i do not know if this is a game issue or PC issue, so it is very infuriating. there is a cutscene earlier that is known to crash the game, and a workaround is to just skip it, but there seems to be no other option here.

PHOENIXZERO

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, bravo Rockstar, requiring updated drivers that don't currently exist after the newest patch... for fucks sake.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the bright side: New Game Patch and Drivers fixed my Vulkan stuttering problems entirely (the one spike in frametimes you see is from taking screenshots). Game is now silky smooth with Vulkan.

rdr2newvsoldxbjx2.jpg

Only took them like four months.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Embarrassing that it took an Nvidia driver update to fix your issues and nothing that R* has done.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Hey guys, is it possible to achieve a consistent 30 fps @ 4K/mostly ultra with a 1080Ti and 6700K 4.2 ghz?

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
I have a similar question - is it possible to have a noticeably better RDR2 experience on 1080Ti (2GHz core clock) with 9700K than on Xbox One X (where the game is rendered at native 4K at mostly stable 30fps)?

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I have a 4K tv and I do no consider playing at 1080p a better experience than playing at native 4K :)

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I have a similar question - is it possible to have a noticeably better RDR2 experience on 1080Ti (2GHz core clock) with 9700K than on Xbox One X (where the game is rendered at native 4K at mostly stable 30fps)?

If you're talking about 4k then no. No card can run this game at 4k/60 on high or ultra settings. You can't even get a locked 60 at 1440/Ultra on a 2080 Ti. 4k is an absolute no go for this game unless you're fine with 30 fps.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned 4K as a point of comparison against RDR2 on Xbox One X (and it really does look glorious in 4K, pity it's just 30fps, but still an incredible technical achievement). I did not expect getting 4K60 on 1080Ti, I was hoping some kind of compromise would be possible, i.e. Stable 1440p60 with detail level at a reasonably higher level than Xbox One X. But if 1440p60 at max settings is not even possible on 2080Ti then I'll either play on Xbox One X, or wait for Ampere.

Or to reformulate my question - if I want to get stable 60fps (or even 50fps) on 1080Ti 9700K, what combination of resolution and details can I hope for? (hopefully above 1080p).

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try and do a comparison at some point with my Xbox One X at 4k vs my 1440p PC settings (70-90fps).

OmegaFerrari

Dec 31, 2018
I highly recommend the Smart Sharp shader for Reshade.

It's really good! Close objects are nice and sharp while distant objects and the sky/clouds are soft so it isn't distracting like other sharpening filters IMO.

Screenshots at 4K x0.75 render scale with TAA on high and in-game sharpening turned off.

Rqu5nXq.jpg
N0QbOt9.jpg

Ee92vwD.jpg
GEa2kcT.jpg

I'm still experimenting with the depth map setting but used the default settings for the screenshots.
Hi man, how do I install this shader, using the reshade setup.exe?

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
rtx 2080 oc, i5 8600k @ 5ghz, 16gb ram while being installed on ssd.

with the new patch and drivers what kind of performance am I looking at at 1440p and is the game worth buying yet?

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017

with the new patch and drivers what kind of performance am I looking at at 1440p and is the game worth buying yet?

I have a 2080 and a [email protected] 70, maybe a little better. Mostly high settings, you will be GPU bound. It's pretty mind blowing if you have G-Sync as well in that 70 fps range. Playing it on a C9 with g-sync, HDR, 1440p consistently amazing. I'm at 150 hours or so now, and the whole experience has been stable and smooth.

Comparing this to the console versions is like looking at two different games, and the stable 60 makes the gameplay fun and responsive. If you have the xbox elite controller, use a paddle on the left side. It makes the tap to run mechanic much better.

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Seems like Rockstar STILL hasn't fixed issues running in ultrawide aspect ratios in fullscreen. Map is still squished unless you run in borderless mode. Ridiculous!

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Seems like Rockstar STILL hasn't fixed issues running in ultrawide aspect ratios in fullscreen. Map is still squished unless you run in borderless mode. Ridiculous!

I've been running it in 3440x1440 since launch with no resolution issues. Or do you mean even wider? Did you do any .ini tweaks at some point that may still be affecting things? A lot of the work-arounds and temporary fixes the community was using at launch ended up messing things up in the long run after Rockstar patched some issues.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I've been running it in 3440x1440 since launch with no resolution issues. Or do you mean even wider? Did you do any .ini tweaks at some point that may still be affecting things? A lot of the work-arounds and temporary fixes the community was using at launch ended up messing things up in the long run after Rockstar patched some issues.

I should not have any ini tweaks. If I run it at 5120x1440 the map and menus are squished to a roughly 4:3 section in the center, same for running at 3840x1440. Haven't tried 3440x1440 actually but it would be some next level bullshit if they fixed it for that resolution and nothing else. Switching to borderless fixes this but isn't very nice if you want to run at a less than native resolution since it shows your desktop. Using Vulkan API.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

I played the game with a very similiar PC in december/january and with most things on high at 1440p I was getting 60-70 fps even during the heaviest moments. I pushed up the resoluton scale a bit which did cause drops to 50 fps but with gsync it was gravy and the game became even more stunning.
I imagine the performance improved since then a bit, based on what I've read, so yes you should be fine.

I had no issues with the game whatsoever so yeah it's worth it I'd say.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I played the game with a very similiar PC in december/january and with most things on high at 1440p I was getting 60-70 fps even during the heaviest moments. I pushed up the resoluton scale a bit which did cause drops to 50 fps but with gsync it was gravy and the game became even more stunning.
I imagine the performance improved since then a bit, based on what I've read, so yes you should be fine.

I had no issues with the game whatsoever so yeah it's worth it I'd say.
Ok perfect thank you kindly sir.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
So I've read there are issues concerning running the game in Exclusive Full Screen mode.

Do these issues still persist or has there been a solution yet?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I've read there are issues concerning running the game in Exclusive Full Screen mode.

Do these issues still persist or has there been a solution yet?

Anecdotal, but I'm playing right now with no full screen issues. I jump back and forth from 3440x1440 on a monitor and 4K on a tv and don't have issues on either. It seems the many bugs present at launch have mostly been fixed.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there is no exclusive fullscreen in DX12 and VK. The closest you get with these APIs is the ability to change output resolution according to game's settings - something which MS doesn't even implement in their Xbox PC titles.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any good tips on how to get this running smooth without tearing or stuttering with vsync OFF on a 60hz screen? Locking in a certain fps cap or similar?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
long time absent from this topic...so is the game heavily patched and almost perfect right now or we are still far from that?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It plays very well for most people these days. It's a demanding game with a shit load of settings which can be great if you're into optimizing or a nuisance if you just want to hit play. The presets seem pretty solid though.
so no more glaring bug, glitch etc, just an heavy ass game.
because i asked the same qestion like 1-2 months ago and the response was pretty negative if i remember well.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so no more glaring bug, glitch etc, just an heavy ass game.
because i asked the same qestion like 1-2 months ago and the response was pretty negative if i remember well.

One user here had some issues with exclusive full screen but we haven't had a lot of bug reports recently.

A big issue in the months following release was that, initially, a lot of people were so desperate for it to work out of the box they were using all kinds of .ini tweaks and other fixes which worked in the short term but ended up conflicting with fixes as they were released. Seems more people should have either verified their installs or reinstalled altogether.

I'm playing right now at both 3440x1440 and 4K and I haven't had a single crash in 71 hours. It's a night and day difference compared to launch.

Basically you're correct - it's a "heavy ass game" but it's stable.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
One user here had some issues with exclusive full screen but we haven't had a lot of bug reports recently.

A big issue in the months following release was that, initially, a lot of people were so desperate for it to work out of the box they were using all kinds of .ini tweaks and other fixes which worked in the short term but ended up conflicting with fixes as they were released. Seems more people should have either verified their installs or reinstalled altogether.

I'm playing right now at both 3440x1440 and 4K and I haven't had a single crash in 71 hours. It's a night and day difference compared to launch.

Basically you're correct - it's a "heavy ass game" but it's stable.
thanks boy.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I'm interested in getting a 1440p ultrawide, how're the cutscenes? Does this eliminate the black bars?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any good tips on how to get this running smooth without tearing or stuttering with vsync OFF on a 60hz screen? Locking in a certain fps cap or similar?

There's no such thing as no tearing without Vsync. Even hovering around 60fps your tearing will just look worse as the tearing line will stay roughly at the same location.

Is there a reason in particular you're turning off VSync?

If it's for input lag reasons, if you can maintain 60+ fps, then you can consider NVidia's FastSync.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uh, surely there's a mod for that, as that sounds utterly ridiculous, wtf Rockstar.

Given that they seemingly intended this game to be played in a widescreen format, this is super dumb lol

So there is a mod for this. I believe it's one of the higher rated ones on the Nexus. I'd link but I'm on mobile and can't be arsed to do it.
Still, because of how RDR uses letterboxing to try and give that old school western vibe, I forgot about the "annoyance" by like, half way through chapter 1 so I never installed the mod. Some people were very angry though.

Generally though, I highly recommend ultra wide with the one downside being I'm not sure if I can ever go back to 16:9 screens. G Sync/100 hz is my personal sweet spot but I don't play a lot competitively.