• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Good idea on taking a break. I wish R* rolled the credist after the end of CH6, as a way to "seperate" the epilogue from the rest of the game - everyone should really stop playing after finishing CH6 a bit to truly apprecaite the epilogue.

I took a break right after the first epilogue. Didn't want to rush things as I felt a bit burned out by that point but I can't wait to dive back in and wrap things up.
I feel the best was was sort of like Nier Automata with multiple credits screens. One after Ch. 6 and another after the second epilogue.

Oct 30, 2017
God damn it I had a feeling that I should've kept that first horse for the whole game. What do care if that stubborn arabian race horse dies at the end? At least the original gets to live on, I guess. Had it maxed out I believe.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
The Guarma chapter is so much underrated, I think he served the story well, Arthur and the crew are totally lost, without any repere, they're hungry and there is a moment when you see for the first time Dutch doing something that contradict himself ( killing an innocent grandma ), this little moment will break even more the trust between him and Arthur, love it.
Yeah, I actually really like Chapter 5.

The game was plenty dark before that, but chapter 5 reached a new level in that regard and felt like the starting point for the gang's descent into chaos, especially with Dutch and Arthur's relationship. Dutch's behavior combined with the bleak atmosphere of the island, it was like Martin Sheen slowly losing it as he goes down the river in Apocalypse Now with his situation continuing to deteriorate.

All that combined with Arthur starting to feel the effects of his sickness cast this cloud of doom over everything that doesn't really let up until Arthur's death scene.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
The Guarma chapter is so much underrated, I think he served the story well, Arthur and the crew are totally lost, without any repere, they're hungry and there is a moment when you see for the first time Dutch doing something that contradict himself ( killing an innocent grandma ), this little moment will break even more the trust between him and Arthur, love it.

Rockstar were smart to keep it reasonably short. I didn't mind it as a diversion from the main map, but mostly because they kept it mercifully short. It's not like Mexico in RDR1, which I pretty much refuse to replay. Guarma is just the right length that I won't mind doing it again, even if I did feel it kind of swung the plotline kind of randomly for a while.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe that they make you do ranch work after that finale. Only Rockstar would have the balls to do that.
This makes me sound like a massive R* apologist, but thematically I loved that.

It felt tedious and unfulfilling shoveling shit and milking cows for a few dollars a day after the high stakes of riding with the gang, and I'm guessing that's what R* was going for. To have the player's feelings mirror John's desire deep down to relive certain aspects of his old life. The whole time on the ranch I just felt antsy and out of place, like John.

But I totally understand how some players will get to that and be like WTF.

Oct 30, 2017
This makes me sound like a massive R* apologist, but thematically I loved that.

It felt tedious and unfulfilling shoveling shit and milking cows for a few dollars a day after the high stakes of riding with the gang, and I'm guessing that's what R* was going for. To have the player's feelings mirror John's desire deep down to relive certain aspects of his old life. The whole time on the ranch I just felt antsy and out of place, like John.

But I totally understand how some players will get to that and be like WTF.

I didn't mind it too much either, as it's John and it was brief. I was just really surprised.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The entire premise of chapter 5 is bad to me from the start because it's almost entirely comprised of combat which is by far the weakest aspect of the game. Everything happens too fast with barely any build up and the frantic pace doesn't work with the controls. The half assed distraction mechanics were so contrived as well which again highlighted the mediocre mission. It's basically a culmination of everything I don't like about RDR 2 condensed into 4 hours.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was honestly disappointed that you got all that money at the end of the game. Kind of killed my motivation to do things that made money, even if they are things I enjoy doing. I would actually prefer it if you had to make regular payments to the bank so you would have a driving force behind your activities in the post game. I can see how I might be in the minority there though.

The way it is I don't even know why John bothered with the ranch after that haul. IIRC It was over $20,000 and that was AFTER paying off the entire bank loan. That's over $500,000 in today's money.

Should have just moved to Tahiti.

Oct 29, 2017
The attention to detail and level of graphics in this game has blown my mind, I can see why it took so long and in native 4K it's eye candy. I kind of didn't like the story really, but enjoyed Arthur's journey, main story with Dutch seemed bland, you go to one camp and..

DUTCH: BOYS I GOT A PLAN BUT WE JUST NEED SOME MORE MONEYY!!!

This just got replayed multiple times in new camp spots really :| but I did enjoy the interactions and other side missions rockstar put in, shame the main plot was 'We need some more money and Tahiti!!'

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The attention to detail and level of graphics in this game has blown my mind, I can see why it took so long and in native 4K it's eye candy. I kind of didn't like the story really, but enjoyed Arthur's journey, main story with Dutch seemed bland, you go to one camp and..

DUTCH: BOYS I GOT A PLAN BUT WE JUST NEED SOME MORE MONEYY!!!

This just got replayed multiple times in new camp spots really :| but I did enjoy the interactions and other side missions rockstar put in, shame the main plot was 'We need some more money and Tahiti!!'
I felt like the real story started after
he died
lol. I guess I just have more mental investment in John carried over from RDR. Most of the epilogue story bits were pretty good, I thought.

Oct 30, 2017
This ending was a letdown, wow. Dutch now decides to shoot Micah and just walks away? How lame. It sorta makes John's anger at the gang in RDR1 seem kind of overblown.

This ties into the fact that the "you left me for dead" guilt trip in RDR1 is now...kind of untrue? He wasn't even that severely injured. Seemed like a graze.

I didn't even expect him to come back. I thought he'd get picked up by the feds on the traintracks, recovers in a cell and cuts a deal to leave (leading into RDR).

SpiffyGiffy

Oct 25, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Just got 100%. Wow, that cutscene made me well up all over again. I can't believe Rockstar managed to reframe the completion of a checklist as a touching character moment for John.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Interesting, was pretty sure I completed it.

You probably didn't. After Rhodes, you find them again near Dewberry Creek, and one final time to the west of Hanging Dog ranch. If you didn't do the whole thing, it resets because too much time has passed rather than just closing down what you missed.

Dec 4, 2017
London
Yeah, that and a handful of other moments in this game will be etched in my mind for a long time.

I do think having played RDR 1 really helps one appreciate the epilogue though, at least so far. I already had a strong connection to John, Jack and Abigail before playing any of RDR 2 so the Epilogue hits close to home so far. Curious how it feels to people who didn't finish RDR 1.

edit: don't mean to spam the thread with links, but the music drop here was another holy shit moment

Re The epilogue: I've literally just finished it so this is my first time in here.

I fell off RDR1 once I'd reached Mexico. For me, the epilogues felt somewhat redundant. I felt like I had an idea of what they trying to achieve in terms of narrative structure but couldn't help wishing the game had just finished at the end of Chapter 6.

The epilogues felt very slight in comparison, both in terms of gameplay and story, and I guess I just didn't have the connection to the characters to really care very much about how they begin rebuilding their lives. It doesn't help that the actor playing John just doesn't seem as good as the guy playing Arthur.

What was cool though was having a huge new map to go and explore and I loved trotting around and noticing how the features of the environment progressively changed as you ventured further west. They're just wasn't really that much to do there though other than admire how well crafted the landscape was.

Nov 1, 2018
does anyone know what order i'd need to do chapter 2's mission in order to make the final mission the one where Arthur gets infected at the Downes ranch? I saw on youtube that it's possible, but the uploader didn't exactly give the mission list

xMM4nsonx

Nov 1, 2017
I've rushed the story, so I missed some quests that's are no longer avaibles. I've a save file with Arthur, from Chapter 2 or 3. If I reload and disable the autosave, the rest of my playtrough with John will be affected? For example, some quests that I've completed with John.. will they return? Will they disapper from my statics?

Just wondering. My first time to get a game complete at 100%.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Re The epilogue: I've literally just finished it so this is my first time in here.

I fell off RDR1 once I'd reached Mexico. For me, the epilogues felt somewhat redundant. I felt like I had an idea of what they trying to achieve in terms of narrative structure but couldn't help wishing the game had just finished at the end of Chapter 6.

The epilogues felt very slight in comparison, both in terms of gameplay and story, and I guess I just didn't have the connection to the characters to really care very much about how they begin rebuilding their lives. It doesn't help that the actor playing John just doesn't seem as good as the guy playing Arthur.

What was cool though was having a huge new map to go and explore and I loved trotting around and noticing how the features of the environment progressively changed as you ventured further west. They're just wasn't really that much to do there though other than admire how well crafted the landscape was.
Yeah, I wonder if this is how most feel if they don't love the first game.

I love John just about as much as Arthur (maybe slightly less) so playing as him and interacting with Abigail and Jack was pretty special. And there's some delicious fan service / callbacks to the first game.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
does anyone know what order i'd need to do chapter 2's mission in order to make the final mission the one where Arthur gets infected at the Downes ranch? I saw on youtube that it's possible, but the uploader didn't exactly give the mission list

What's the purpose of this? Even if it's possible, it won't matter at all.

Dec 4, 2017
London
Yeah, I wonder if this is how most feel if they don't love the first game.

I love John just about as much as Arthur (maybe slightly less) so playing as him and interacting with Abigail and Jack was pretty special. And there's some delicious fan service / callbacks to the first game.

I suppose the epilogues are purely intended for the fun-blown RDR1 veteran. Nothing wrong with that in itself, I guess, they just weren't engaging for me. John, from what little I know about him, seems such an uninteresting character compared to Arthur.

I wish they'd fleshed them out a bit more - more focus on them instead of the complete misstep of Guarma could have elevated the game substantially for me. Even if they were to keep the more mundane aspects of the majority of the missions etc, they could have made the whole thing way more interesting by having you play as all three of them and get three different POVs on their whole dynamic at the period in their lives. John just seems a bit one-note on his own.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't really venture down to Blackwater or the surrounding areas whilst playing as Arthur.

Did I miss out on anything?

Also damn, chapter 6 is something special.

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game today, epilogue and all. I wasn't a fan of the epilogue, even having played RDR1. I get what they were going for but 2 parts was too much. It could've been shorter, and therefore, more effective in accomplishing what it wanted to do.

The epilogue also highlighted the massive difference in character quality between Marston and Morgan. Arthur is just so much of a better character, honestly, it ain't even close.

With that said, chapter 6 was phenomenal and the entirety of it is one of my top 10 gaming moments. I could not put the controller down. My God.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving the epilogue.

It makes me wish for a DLC where we get an alternate telling of the RDR story... where everything ends up okay for John :(

But I agree with Arthur being a better character. Heck, he's probably the best in the medium.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I thought chapter 6 and the ending particularly were a bit underwhelming.

I've got two main problems with it ; the first one is the writing regarding Arthur's disease.

The introspection side of it, and how it changes Arthur's whole perspective on life, is obviously fantastic (although putting the most meaningful scenes behind optional content is a bit of an odd choice). However when it comes to how other characters react to Arthur's desease, I feel like so many potential character moments were ignored.
Arthur's disease is pretty much never acknowledged by the other gang members. Some of them treat him like he has the flu or something, and others seem to be completely oblivious.
It's just super weird to not see anybody react to Arthur's terrible state, especially Dutch. Does he realize Arthur is dying by the end ? It didn't feel like it.
The entirety of chapter 6 Arthur is doing his thing and Dutch is in his little bubble of craziness, which negatively affects mission structure as the writing feels a bit repetitive (Dutch has crazy plan, Arthur complains but still goes with it, again and again). The ending felt unsatisfying to me as there's no real confrontation between Arthur and Dutch, mostly because of that annoying character in the middle, Micah.

And that guy is my second problem.

Now I commend the writers for never really going down the "Dutch ends up being a complete villain" path. However it's clear Micah was only created as a balance to that, to push Dutch over the edge and give Arthur a reason to stop all this, and it shows.

Micah is a one-dimensional, underdeveloped cunt. The only thing that one can discuss about him is how much of an constant pain in the butt he his.
Compelling villains are great. Micah isn't one. He has no motivation, no background, he isn't funny or impressive-looking, he has zero qualities that would make me say "man that dude's an asshole but I still like him !". He is by far the shittiest character in the game, and unfortunately ends up being the main antagonist. If that wasn't bad enough, having him be the traitor (in a cliché as hell scene where the bad guy reveals his secrets to the good guy right before dying) is the weakest, most unsurprising shit ever.

That's why fighting HIM as you're controlling Arthur for the last time is woefully unsatisfying. That fight had no symbolic value, there's no emotion here, because Micah and Arthur have nothing in common and not a shred of emotional connection, and the guy is nothing but a lazily written plot device. At that point I was just punching my frustrations with the game's writing.
And you don't even get to fucking kill him. I don't care about watching him "lose" when Dutch abandons him, or that you get to kill him in the epilogue (haven't gotten to that part yet). The only confrontation that made sense was with Dutch.

To me the game peaks at the end of chapter 5 (after you get back from Guarma obviously)/beginning of chapter 6. After that it feels rushed imo.

Also what was up with the super low-res textures on Arthur's face after his fight with Micah. That was really distracting, and right when he was dying too. I wonder if it looks better on X.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im on part 2 of epilogue. I believe this is the last part of the game. I am so sad with how things ended with Arthur, but I very much love how matter of fact and plain the ending was. I love Arthur and felt great sadness for him.

This being a prequel, and just knowing this game took place in the turn of the century also adds to how sad I felt leaving these characters. For some reason, it made things more sad knowing that this is how all their stories end and are eventually forgotten (even though its just fiction).

Im rushing through the game now because I just really want to know what happens next. But Im sure Ill regret it because I wont be able to play anything like this game for years to come.

Without actual direct spoilers-- does the epilogue just wrap up lose ends, or does it ramp up into anything surprising? Does it dive more into the ending of Chapter 6 at all? I found out some tidbits from Charles on what he did with Arthur after the end of Chapter 6, and it just made me realize that it truly was over.

Oct 27, 2017
Without actual direct spoilers-- does the epilogue just wrap up lose ends, or does it ramp up into anything surprising? Does it dive more into the ending of Chapter 6 at all? I found out some tidbits from Charles on what he did with Arthur after the end of Chapter 6, and it just made me realize that it truly was over.
It ties up loose ends from the main game. Doesn't do much beyond that other than provide a bit of background for red dead 1

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
It ties up loose ends from the main game. Doesn't do much beyond that other than provide a bit of background for red dead 1
:'(

Im completely shattered then. I wish I took more time doing side quests with Arthur. I did a lot. Possibly all but the remaining ones, but it's crazy how many side quests pop up randomly.

Im also amazed at how I could continue some of them with John, and Im curious about how many overlap.

I think I also completely missed ending the story arc with his Anna Belle, because I ended up in Guarma. Mannnn. Arthur truly was a special character. I think he's become my favourite...ever.

I know we wont get DLC from R* if GTA was anything to go by, but I still want more Arthur. But actually, I wish we could play as Charles. One thing I wanted more of was the indigenous stories.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean Mary ? Annabelle is Dutch's dead ex.

If so, what was the last mission you did with her ?

Ah ye
Cant remember but I think i had left one alone

I think it was the one where i helped her dad get back his ring or something that he sold

But i cant remember if i did the one after that

She left a note that implied she understood that i decided to ignore her requests for help

How big of an impact does choice have in this game? I feel like i missed some things

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
So I bought the special edition. And I've finished the game.

I think I missed out the Bank Heist in Rhodes.

What do I do now?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Ah ye
Cant remember but I think i had left one alone

I think it was the one where i helped her dad get back his ring or something that he sold

But i cant remember if i did the one after that

She left a note that implied she understood that i decided to ignore her requests for help

How big of an impact does choice have in this game? I feel like i missed some things

You did all her missions. After the brooch thing she asks if you want to take her to the theater, I assume you accepted ? It's the last choice you get with this character.

What she implied in the letter was just that you once again chose the gang instead of her, since they were talking about running away together right before Mary left.

I'm wondering about choice too. Since the honor missions are you reward for being a good guy, what happens if you decline every single one of them ? If you get extra missions, that'd be the only incentive for me to do another playthrough on dark mode, but I doubt that's the case.

So I bought the special edition. And I've finished the game.

I think I missed out the Bank Heist in Rhodes.

What do I do now?

Play Red Dead Online for a couple of hours and realize there's nothing to do

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Sooo I know this is a crystal ball kind of question but what are the chances of any single player DLC being released for this? Any hints at all? I tried online and have zero interest in that so I'm thinking I should just sell the game on eBay.

Looking at GTA5 as an example it seems slim to no chance but yea....

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Wrapping up the collectible missions and the big thing that is now between me and 100% are the Challenges. Any tips for doing those? Kinda intimidating. Also, how the hell do you rob a train?

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
There won't be single player dlc. Probably ever again in their games.

On the matter of choices, does anyone know what happens if you choose not to help Mary Linton or Charles Smith or the Indians whenever you get to choose?

Also, what's the difference between going with John or going back for the money at the very end of chapter 6? I wonder if the ending sequence is any different.

I'm doing the Evelyn missions now, I guess they aren't available for Arthur in any way, right?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I suppose the epilogues are purely intended for the fun-blown RDR1 veteran.

I interpreted it as the player getting to see what Arthur actually fought for play out, which was John getting out of that life and trying to make it in the normal world.

You get to see John progress from someone who still kills people for little reason into someone who knuckles down and manages to build a normal life for his family going forward.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favourite touches in the soundtrack for John's time at Beecher's Hope is that I could swear I could hear hints of Far Away's melody, which is the song that plays when you return from Mexico to Beecher's Hope in RDR1. Can't quite pin it down in the RDR2 soundtrack though.

I need the song that plays during John's ride with uncle to beecher's hope.

What song is that? Does it have lyrics? I can't quite remember it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also, what's the difference between going with John or going back for the money at the very end of chapter 6? I wonder if the ending sequence is any different.

I'm doing the Evelyn missions now, I guess they aren't available for Arthur in any way, right?

The ending is quite different. You fight your way through the woods with whole new music playing (with a brief amount of rap) and get into a knife fight with Micah just outside of the cave. Micah ends up losing an eye in the fight and Dutch intervenes, this time calling them both fools, rather than feeling regretful for Arthur. Arthur gets stabbed in the back as he is crawling on the ground.

It's cool because in the end of epilogue 2, Micah will appear with only one eye.