• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, only a small portion?!

Yup, same.
Yeah, ofcourse we can't say for sure until we get confirmation but looking at the image and taking this from the Edge preview:
"We bring up the map, zoom out as far as we can, and move the cursor east. It scrolls for two full screens. "Go south", a voice behind us says. It scrolls twice as far."

I think the map is much bigger than what we have seen so far.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Don't most open world games have fog of war? Horizon and GTAV jump to mind instantly.

Most open world games don't have a fog of war that only reveals a small radius around where the player is, the fog of war is instead usually unveiled through Ubitowers and their equivalents. GTAV and Far Cry 5 were the most recent open world games that used the former system.

I personally really dislike the system RDR2 seems to be using and that was the case in GTAV and Far Cry 5 as well. Unless things are somehow not as they seem it's going to be a point against the game in my eyes. Having to see an incomplete map because I haven't gone over literally every single possible part of it is much more annoying to me than having to climb a few towers or, as is the case in AC: Odyssey, having the character somehow map an entire area by setting one foot in it.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's only a very short clip and probably not the best way to judge, but I hope there's bullet damage like the original. Imagine this game but with a current gen Soldier of Fortune damage model.
Check the Preview thread. Journos have confirmed it's much more brutal and gory than RDR1. Limbs flying off, faces and bodies becoming mutilated, etc. Extends to horses and possibly other animals too.

In the leaked clip alone, a guy's hand gets blown off.

Most open world games don't have a fog of war that only reveals a small radius around where the player is, the fog of war instead being unlocked through Ubitowers and their equivalents.

I really dislike the system RDR2 seems to be using and that was the case in GTAV and Far Cry 5 as well. Having to see an incomplete map because I haven't gone over literally every single possible part of it is much more annoying to me than having to climb a few towers or, as is the case in AC: Odyssey, having the character somehow map an entire area by setting one foot in it.
There's probably a system to offset it. E.g. buy a map from a town store to reveal the map.

Oct 26, 2017
Most open world games don't have a fog of war that only reveals a small radius around where the player is, the fog of war instead being unlocked through Ubitowers and their equivalents.

I really dislike the system RDR2 seems to be using and that was the case in GTAV and Far Cry 5 as well. Having to see an incomplete map because I haven't gone over literally every single possible part of it is much more annoying to me than having to climb a few towers or, as is the case in AC: Odyssey, having the character somehow map an entire area by setting one foot in it.
Ah right, my mistake. I prefer it in theory but not execution.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
That "Wanted: Arthur Morgan" could also be because he doesn't have his face covered, maybe if you do it won't say your name?

I do hope it means what we think it means however.

That makes sense to me, as they've talked about the importance of covering your face or threatening witnesses before. I think that if you're known, the law will catch up with you quicker and maybe with more force.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Question, do story spoilers have to be put under a spoiler tag, or can they be unmarked?

i like seeing things like gameplay clips and maps, but I don't really want to see story spoilers, so I'm unsure if I need to stay away!

Plum

May 31, 2018
There's probably a system to offset it. E.g. buy a map from a town store to reveal the map.

I hope so, especially since the map seems to be a lot bigger and more focused in nature than GTAV or even Far Cry 5.

Ah right, my mistake. I prefer it in theory but not execution.

Yeah, the theory is "people don't like Ubisoft towers? Well then have the player's movements unveil the map naturally through exploration!" In practice all it means is that you've got an ugly, spotty- looking map that, without obsessive-levels of traversal, will stay that way throughout the entire game. It takes what little fun there is in 'unveiling' a map and replaces it with an unnecessary annoyance imo. Personally I think AC: Odyssey's method of map unveiling is the best (outside of games dedicated to it such as Miasmata) has a good balance between the fun of unveiling unseen areas and the convenience of actually being able to complete the map yourself.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Check the Preview thread. Journos have confirmed it's much more brutal and gory than RDR1. Limbs flying off, faces and bodies becoming mutilated, etc. Extends to horses and possibly other animals too.

In the leaked clip alone, a guy's hand gets blown off.

Wow, nice! And I didn't even notice the guy's hand. I'll watch it again.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I think the Wanted thing boils down to the state of whatever incident you might be suspicious of: so far, we've seen "interrogating", "investigating" and all of that, so it might be that, as soon as the player shot those guys, they got their number, so to speak.

Although we've also seen the Wanted box with "assault", "dead or alive" and the like.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the wanted system makes sense.

I hate it when i'm in trouble even if nobody survived or if nobody is around to see me do a bad thing.

In the clip it changes as soon as Arthur opens fire. That looks kinda bad. Nobody could know who killed the lawmen.

Or at the end of the day... Videogames. But in a game that tries so hard to be believable i would've loved a system that makes sense.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

I hate it when i'm in trouble even if nobody survived or if nobody is around to see me do a bad thing.

In the clip it changes as soon as Arthur opens fire. That looks kinda bad. Nobody could know who killed the lawmen.

Or at the end of the day... Videogames. But in a game that tries so hard to be believable i would've loved a system that makes sense.
Odyssey is terrible about this

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017

But if other people at the Sheriff's office knew 3 of their guys were going to investigate a specific known location of Arthur, it's safe to say that if they died in that location, it's more likely than not it was Arthur who did it.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's confirmed if you commit a crime and there are no witnesses you get away with it

In that clip, I think Arthur is already on the lam before he draws his gun. Those lawmen are already suspicious. He's already wanted, he's just being interrogated. Then when he draws his gun the lawmen quickly enter full 'attack' state.

So if people know that a criminal - Arthur Morgan - is in a certain area, and then some dead lawmen are found in said area, it was probably Morgan. Thus the quick escalation and increased bounty on your head.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's confirmed if you commit a crime and there are no witnesses you get away with it

In that clip, I think Arthur is already on the lam before he draws his gun. Those lawmen are already suspicious. He's already wanted, he's just being interrogated. Then when he draws his gun the lawmen quickly enter full 'attack' state.

So if people know that a criminal - Arthur Morgan - is in a certain area, and then some dead lawmen are found in said area, it was probably Morgan. Thus the quick escalation and increased bounty on your head.

Damn the technology was faster at those times than it is now, its literally instant.

Imagine you leave the place and behind next corner see other lawmen and they know you killed them.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

That's speculation right?

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else notice how badly the bow on Arthurs back clipped through his hat in that 23 second clip? Yikes.
And this is the problem with games and the market right now. People just focus on stupid things like this one and yet they complain about development time , crunch , huge budget etc...

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
Remember people: Do not become addicted to leaks. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Got some new leeks hot of the presses!!

leeks.jpg

Nah but seriously I'm not expecting much more than what we got today. Not sure if I want to see anything more, to be honest. I've already seen positive stuff (map size, gunplay) and I've already seen negative stuff (fog of war) so I think I'll just wait to play the game itself.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Throughout the trailers, we've seen there are different conditions and stages for Wanted, such as HUNTED and (related to your concern) UNKNOWN SUSPECT. So lawmen can be suspicious but not have a specific suspect

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense to me, as they've talked about the importance of covering your face or threatening witnesses before. I think that if you're known, the law will catch up with you quicker and maybe with more force.
you see a bit of this in GTA 5. If you rob a store with a mask on and then take it off after your wanted level drops.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey is terrible about this

Tell me about it. Fucking hate how it's used. And every damn enemy seems to have a gps signal of me. Homing in even though they can't know where i'm at. The broad direction... Ok. But they're lile homing missiles.

But if other people at the Sheriff's office knew 3 of their guys were going to investigate a specific known location of Arthur, it's safe to say that if they died in that location, it's more likely than not it was Arthur who did it.

Don't get me wrong. It's a videogame at the end of the day. It would be ok if it was that way but in reality that wouldn't fly.

On the other hand maybe it works like that and the next lawmen will draw their guns on sight and ask if i can tell them what happended to their dead buddies. Now that would be awesome.

I just hope it's not just "magic". I kill them and suddenly, through magic western lawmen wifi everyone knows what i just did.

They can assume. But i hope they ask before they shoot. Would be so fucking awesome.

Can't wait to play this game.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope so, especially since the map seems to be a lot bigger and more focused in nature than GTAV or even Far Cry 5.

Yeah, the theory is "people don't like Ubisoft towers? Well then have the player's movements unveil the map naturally through exploration!" In practice all it means is that you've got an ugly, spotty- looking map that, without obsessive-levels of traversal, will stay that way throughout the entire game. It takes what little fun there is in 'unveiling' a map and replaces it with an unnecessary annoyance imo. Personally I think AC: Odyssey's method of map unveiling is the best (outside of games dedicated to it such as Miasmata) has a good balance between the fun of unveiling unseen areas and the convenience of actually being able to complete the map yourself.
I actually like towers, I just like the immersion of the map unlocking as you explore but yeah I agree. Odyssey's map was great.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well all I wanted was the map. The rest of the leaks like clips and whatnot is not something I want to see before launch. Peace.

nilesyy-nilez.jpg

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the technology was faster at those times than it is now, its literally instant.

Imagine you leave the place and behind next corner see other lawmen and they know you killed them.

Lol what? At the start of the clip there are corpses everywhere (look at the Xs on the map) and the player already has WANTED in the top right. It's entirely possible they just slaughtered a gold mining operation and these lawmen heard the gunshots and came over, already suspicious.

Then the player PULLS THEIR GUN and the lawmen become hostile. The lawmen are marked as in "Interrogation" mode until the player draws their gun... which makes perfect sense.

It's also entirely possible the in the previous hours of gameplay that the player/Arthur has committed numerous other crimes and they're already being hunted.

That's speculation right?

In two previews the previewers committed crimes and noted that WANTED doesn't activate if there's no lawmen/multiple witnesses nearby. In one case, the previewer stabbed a shopkeeper and a rando who happened to be walking past spotted it and ran for the sheriff. In another instance, the player shot someone and threatened a nearby witness (a woman). She said she wouldn't tell anyone and ran off... then she told the sheriff anyway and the player got in trouble.

Presumably in either of these cases if the player(s) had been more careful the WANTED system would never have been invoked

All this chat should be happening in the Previews thread... Where all this info is readily available

They can assume. But i hope they ask before they shoot. Would be so fucking awesome.

Can't wait to play this game.
They can. In the leaked clip, the player could have targeted the lawmen without drawing his gun and picked "Defuse" as a dialogue choice, basically to try and blag his way out of the encounter.

Other previewers have said this has got them out of sticky situations, although it's unlikely it would have helped in that specific case

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Can someone confirm if the horse control is trash or good?

I dont want another Roach or D-Horse.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I actually like towers, I just like the immersion of the map unlocking as you explore but yeah I agree. Odyssey's map was great.

I personally feel that it harms immersion more than it helps it, especially in modern games like Far Cry 5 or GTAV where maps somehow don't exist yet GPS does. Even in more historical games it doesn't make sense that my character can map out where they are at a specific moment but can't, for example, go up a mountain or a tall building to get the lay of the land.

It definitely helps immersion in that the map isn't suddenly filled with icons like they are in older AC titles but the whole "fog of war" aspect to it is just really poor imo

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Question, do story spoilers have to be put under a spoiler tag, or can they be unmarked?

i like seeing things like gameplay clips and maps, but I don't really want to see story spoilers, so I'm unsure if I need to stay away!

Story spoilers should still be put under a spoiler tag I reckon, especially since the game isn't out yet.

After the game is out... people may thing differently about spoiler tagging it.

I can't believe we actually got leaks. The Housers must be fuming.

A part of me wonders if this was a strategic type of "leak" ?