• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
It was $9.99 for the past 2 weeks. Sale only ended earlier today.

87wQl.gif

Icespark

Oct 25, 2017
When Developers make games what resolution do they create the assets in? So during the 360 days were they all using 4k as the asset resolution for there original working files scaling them down later on for consoles? Were they working in higher than 4k resolutions so someday we can have 8k Red Dead? I really don't understand the process of taking these games and making them Native 4k.

I know with old movies regular film was much higher quality than 1080p so it was easy for them to release remasters with the Native film, but if a game was originally designed for 1080p in the day and that's how all the assets were created how do they have it be in 4k without redoing all the assets from scratch?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
How do these run on an Xbox One S?
Upscaled to 1080p? Improved frame rate?
I'm buying a system in the next couple of days and I don't have a 4K tv and most likely won't for quite a few year. So I'm wondering if I could just get an S and be set on a 1080p tv, or if I should get an X, which would end up costing me nearly 3 times a much and would delay my purchase of the system most likely.

Sorry to be a downer but at this point, get an X. The performance boost compared to the One S is almost generation-caliber, and it's crystal clear that Microsoft is going after the hardcore gamer crowd with all these announcements of enhancements and 4k BC.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Wow those all look amazing, especially in the dense woods or sunsets. It's a real shame it's not possible to turn off the UI though :(

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The S is going to play bc 360 games at their original resolution, aka 720p for Red Dead. That said Red Dead does run significantly smoother on an S compared to the 360. Only OG Xbox games see a resolution increase on the S.

Sorry to be a downer but at this point, get an X. The performance boost compared to the One S is almost generation-caliber, and it's crystal clear that Microsoft is going after the hardcore gamer crowd with all these announcements of enhancements and 4k BC.

Ah, I had no idea that there wasn't a resolution boost on the old systems. Kinda makes sense I guess.
Already ordered 12 games this evening so I'll have plenty of stuff to play when I get the system.

Going to have to sleep on it and give it some good thought and hold off for a good deal I guess, I'm I'm going with an X.
Really wasn't planning on spending that kinda cash right now.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Were the stars always multi colored in the 360 version? Can't remember.

There's blue, purple, red stars in the night sky and it doesn't seem right.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been so busy at work and keeping up with my Mets that I haven't had time to keep up with the news, this is big. RDR is fucking 4K and Gears 2?? Hyped.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
If you've got two arms and hands then yes.

Anyway, I'm hoping CEX don't up the price for RDR, no way am I paying the price it's jumped upto on the MS Store.
We always did when I worked there up until late last year. The stores will get the new prices tonight ready for opening tomorrow. Actually we did do it the first time it was made BC.

I guarantee if you go there at 9am and walk over to R of the Xbox 360 section, you'll see someone changing the stickers.

Edit: It's £7 currently and the Pricing guy send the new prices across at 8am so we will see haha.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
That's awesome, great job Microsoft getting this stuff working and working right. Rockstar how about you remaster this or bring it to pc please. Sony when you're done saving the children from crossplay can you please move your assessment and get real back compat working. Thank you.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
How do these run on an Xbox One S?
Upscaled to 1080p? Improved frame rate?
I'm buying a system in the next couple of days and I don't have a 4K tv and most likely won't for quite a few year. So I'm wondering if I could just get an S and be set on a 1080p tv, or if I should get an X, which would end up costing me nearly 3 times a much and would delay my purchase of the system most likely.
Just get an X. I only have 1080p tvs and the X is night and day over the S.

Supersampling is real and it is awesome.

6 teraflops > 1.3 teraflops

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great.

This is the only thing I care about that I'm missing out on that's on Xbox. I'd rather replay this game than play certain games I have on backlog.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
When Developers make games what resolution do they create the assets in? So during the 360 days were they all using 4k as the asset resolution for there original working files scaling them down later on for consoles? Were they working in higher than 4k resolutions so someday we can have 8k Red Dead? I really don't understand the process of taking these games and making them Native 4k.

I know with old movies regular film was much higher quality than 1080p so it was easy for them to release remasters with the Native film, but if a game was originally designed for 1080p in the day and that's how all the assets were created how do they have it be in 4k without redoing all the assets from scratch?

For the most part, game assets such as textures are made at very high resolutions and then reduced as to meet the technological limitations of a certain platform (such as RAM).

This is why you see so much lost detail when you increase the resolution, especially noticeable with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Generally, higher priority textures will be higher res and belong to the characters as developers understand they can skimp out with lesser important props.

Quite often a texture will be in a high-resolution format, and it'll be accompanied by increasingly smaller versions of the texture which take up less RAM and so can be manipulated more rapidly - the principle being that the software should select the appropriate mipmap to use internally for any given frame, allowing objects at a distance to save texture seek times by using small textures for the lower number of pixels that are visible.

To answer your question, that's entirely down to Rockstar. There's only so much a 4K patch can do but luckily RDR was quite the detailed game for its time which is why it looks so great even by today's standards.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just get an X. I only have 1080p tvs and the X is night and day over the S.

Supersampling is real and it is awesome.

6 teraflops > 1.3 teraflops

The thing is, with next gen probably coming in about 2 years time, I was thinking I could ride out this gen with a really cheap S and jump on board the next gen with a super charged system from the get go since backwards compatibility would surely be something that caries through from now on for any Xbox going forward.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

Rendering resolution =/= texture/asset resolution

FoxnHurley

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, shit! I just bought this on a whim during the Spring sale. Played up until meeting Irish and put it to the side. I had a feeling that it would eventually receive an X upgrade, but wasn't expecting it to happen this soon! Granted the game still looked great as a backwards compatible title, but a 4k upgrade is very much welcomed.

Look forward to Digital Foundry's analysis on this. Good stuff, Microsoft!

Prologue

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never got to play RDR....... No Xbox one yet.....

Is it time?

Man what had to happen behind closed doors to allow this to happen? Insane. Hopefully we get a few more bangs at E3. Imagine Mass Effect getting this kind of upgrade? Even GTA 4 with the DLC packs?

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Initial impressions:

• god those textures were probably really mleh. Everything is sharp but they dont hold up well
• geometry doesnt look bad at all
• speaking of textures, it looks like they dont go fuzzy till almost the horizon AF for dayyyss
• FPS seems rock solid