• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I've never completed RDR and want to do so before RDR2 comes out. The only problem is I don't have a working 360 anymore so I only have my PS3 as my other option. I have 2 questions.

1. Is the performance really that much worse than the 360 version? It won't be the end of the world due to the combat being auto aimmed anyway but I'd hate OoT levels of performance.

2. Can I use my dual shock 4 with it? I loathe the DS3 so using the DS4 would be great!

Thanks

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
The performance is very stable from when I played it two months ago.

You can use the DualShock 4 either wired or wireless, depending on your setup.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
i dont remember ever having any issues with rdr on ps3, i think most complaints are based the visual downgrades compared to the 360 version

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I own RDR on PS3 and bought it afterwards on XBLA to play on 360 and Xbox One (local system link MP). Gotta say the PS3 version doesn't tag behind too much performance wise, it just looks worse. (although that's arguable since while it runs on a lower res and has a shorter LOD distance, but at least it doesn't tear like the non-BC 360 version does)

With that all said, it's a perfectly playable version of RDR. I had a good time with it and would be still content playing it if I didn't have a Xbox One and an overwhelming need to clip/screenshot even the most uninteresting things I encounter in this game.

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the performance really that much worse than the 360 version? It won't be the end of the world due to the combat being auto aimmed anyway but I'd hate OoT levels of performance.
Performance is significantly worse than 360, dipping to the mid-to-low 20s during intense scenes where the 360 version holds much closer to 30.

OP
OP
Sal

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Performance is significantly worse than 360, dipping to the mid-to-low 20s during intense scenes where the 360 version holds much closer to 30.
Hmm well getting mixed signals in this thread haha. I think ill give it a go and if it's too bad I'll have to try and find a 360 to borrow.

Thanks for the replies.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Resolution is lower, framerate is sometimes lower, there's less details like foliage and I think shorter LOD for far away things.

I personally did not like the sub-720p resolution, it was very blurry, but otherwise it's fine. If you have a choice though the 360 version would be better for sure.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
It's not as bad a Dragon's Dogma on ps3 (which I completed anyway) as far as I remember, and it can be played well enough there. Undead nightmare is worse because you face more enemies and performance impacts more, probably. I remember it as an amazing game on ps3 even knowing it was even more beautiful on 360.

TheCreationTS

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
London
Who the fuck said PS3 version is worse? No one had problem with it and as i remember i had low frame rate on 360 version
You can use DS4

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
It depends quite frankly on when was the last time you played a PS3/X360 game and if you play PS4/XB1 games quite often or not.

I say this because from my experience playing a sub-720p after years of playing current-gen games which the big majority are >= 1080p can be quite hard to do. Add to that the sub-30 fps framerate and it can take quite a while to adapt. To me it is, others can do it easily though.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's playable on the PS3, my wife just finished a 100% run through of the game. The performance is alright to choppy in a few spots but is totally manageable.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is definitely playable on PS3. I beat it a month or so ago.

The game was a bit worse than the Xbox back when it released but not by much so you will probably be fine.

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
On some PS3 the game crashes in the middle of the first mission... I'm one of the lucky guys and there's nothing I can do... :'(

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I own the game on both the 360 and the PS3. The PS3 version is worse in almost every respect. But I noticed the visual downgrades more than the performance differences. The lower resolution is immediately noticeable even if you're not playing side by side. It's really, really low.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I booted it up last year on my 4k TV and just couldn't do it. Framerate was dropping to the low 20's and the resolution was sub-720p, it was a blurry stuttery mess imo.

It's for day one release. The game got updates and now works fine mate

What? That analysis is from two years ago. The PS3 version is still significantly worse.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Started a new game on Saturday. I'm still having a blast with it. Graphics and such aren't a big problem to me, but I am noticing load times are longer than before. Could be that my ps3 is showing its age.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
1. not that big of a deal. Finished it twice on ps3 with no problems. Perfectly playable and enjoyable
2. yes you can

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly OP, I would recommend against what you're thinking. RDR is a huge game, playing it this soon before the sequel comes out may end up burning you out more than anything.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only real issue is texture streaming when moving at high speeds. It's still perfectly playable.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The performance was fine, played a few hours of it a few months back.

The combat is great in it. Why would you use the crappy lock on system?

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The 360 is much better and on One X is an amazing experience in 4K.
But
If you've never saw the 360 version, the PS3 one is enough and a good alternative if you can deal with sub 720p resolution.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt bother tbh, theres a 50% chance you will say "I'm out" when you get to Mexico and you might not even want to get 2. Just play RDR2 and go back to 1 in year or so.

You could also grab Red Dead Revolver since it's a bit different experience

Also, RDR1 multiplayer is probably the most broken trash I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It played fine to me, though I bet it's a side by side thing. If you can put both games side by side you may as well play the one that has already been proven to run better.

Example, I played the heck out of Bayonetta PS3. "Ignorance is bliss."

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The performance is terrible in some places, namely the Mexico City. It was really really bad, like 15fps or something like that.
It also has pretty bad image quality.

But overall, it's playable and I still had a good time with it.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I'm playing the 360 version right now and performance is terrible there. Every cutscene runs sub 30fps (mostly in 20's) with dramatic drops multiple times. Sometimes it looks like a slideshow going on. I've also noticed screen tearing a lot on horseback near the bottom of the screen. I also ran into a glitch where one character during a cutscene was sitting in an invisible chair with their legs kicked back on the table. Dude looked like he was floating on a cloud chilling lol.

My memory might be bad, but I don't remember it being this bad.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sub-720p games look so incredibly bad on a 4K display because they don't get integer scaled. RDR for PS3 is a very good example. Another one is Sonic Racing All-Stars Transformed on 360. Barf. Every platform from that gen has some of these turkeys.

I'm playing the 360 version right now and performance is terrible there. Every cutscene runs sub 30fps (mostly in 20's) with dramatic drops multiple times. Sometimes it looks like a slideshow going on. I've also noticed screen tearing a lot on horseback near the bottom of the screen. I also ran into a glitch where one character during a cutscene was sitting in an invisible chair with their legs kicked back on the table. Dude looked like he was floating on a cloud chilling lol.

My memory might be bad, but I don't remember it being this bad.

It's even worse on PS3. Resolution and framerate.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't notice anything particularly egregious, and I played the hell out of that game. You'll be fine.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'm playing the PS3 version and tbh I can't find any problems with it.
It has < 720p but you barely notice it since the game is so good.
I'm playing with DS3 controller though as I have issues in many games with DS4 and can't be bothered to switch between them.

If you are hyper sensitive to frame drops and low resolution though you might consider staying away. But it's on par with other titles from that generation.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I finished this on PS3. Performance was fine but it looks horrible, especially on large screens or monitors. Its like sub 720 or something.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of abysmal in comparison. It's washed out, the environment looks unfinished, there's more aliasing, it's blurrier, and for some reason it still tanks in the frame-rate department.

But free online is a plus!

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
never played the x360 version but the ps3 certainly looks and feels rough to play today, but not like it's unplayable

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
1. Is the performance really that much worse than the 360 version? It won't be the end of the world due to the combat being auto aimmed anyway but I'd hate OoT levels of performance.
Thanks
I completed both RDR and RDR UN on PS3 when they came out and didn't know it had performance issues until I read it on the internet many years later.

OP
OP
Sal

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Honestly OP, I would recommend against what you're thinking. RDR is a huge game, playing it this soon before the sequel comes out may end up burning you out more than anything.
I won't rush it, I don't have to buy RDR2 on day one, I just don't want to wait 2 years for the PC release :/

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
Performance is fine. Doesn't look as sharp as the 360 version which runs at 720p while PS3 is 640p. You won't notice the difference unless you have both running side by side and anyway even the 360 version will look bad on a 1080/4K screen.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I still need to wrap up my playthrough. I transitioned from 360 to ps3 after a red ring and it was totally fine.

I may just rush through story and then see youtube for the true ending. Luckily have avoided most spoilers thus far.