OP
OP
Montresor

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I fixed it for you instead.

Thanks! I'm back on my regular phone and now resetera is behaving like normal for me. It was inserting line spaces everywhere before, when I tried to make new posts or edit old posts.

Here's another attempt at my post:

I continue to love the game's production values. Something I've found strange is I don't know how... to play the game. The game's controls and systems seem very complex. I don't remember feeling like this with the first Red Dead or any of the GTA games. But four problems I have are:

1) I don't understand the core system.

2) I can't find a screen in the menu that gives me a diagram of controller mapping. I forgot how to get into cover. I had to try all buttons until I finally found that hitting RB goes into cover.

3) I don't know how to melee people. I'm guessing I use RT for that while my fists are equipped? I read through 20 mins of in-game instruction manuals and didn't find any hint about that. I love the way those manuals are written, but that was a lot of reading.

4) Lastly, I couldn't figure out how to stealth kill anyone. Finally after reading through the 20 mins of instruction manual pages mentioned above, I found that you can use B to knock someone out in stealth with your fists, or do a stealth kill with if your knife is equipped.

I'm flabbergasted at the core system. Don't understand it. The game is kind of overwhelming. But I'm taking a deep breath, and telling myself: you aren't going for the 100% completion, you aren't going for any gold medals you're just going to aim for the story and as many interesting side quests as possible. That's letting me enjoy the exceptional and spectacular world building and story and production values a lot more.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't believe some of the vistas and little details in this game. I played it on a one x at launch and it looked incredible there. Bought it for pc last year and it's just so nice at 60fps+. The X version holds up incredibly well despite its "lower than low" settings.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I just wish you didn't have to fight with the sluggish movement, and shooting. Still an impressive game, with lots of amazing details. Hoping GTA6 finally breaks the cursed controls.

speiky

"This guy are sick" says the Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Easily my biggest gaming regret. I just can't get into it, but love how alive the world feels and the insane details it has.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, that's it. I know RE4 comes out in two days, but I'm going to fire this up again right now for a replay.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
AAAA? These terms don't even mean anything.

I've started and bounced off this game before finishing it at least 4 times. It's just not for me. The world sucks me in but the shooting and some of the other mechanics are pretty bad and honestly hard to keep track of so I usually get bored or feel overwhelmed and just stop playing.

of course it's a term that doesn't mean anything. but most people get the meaning. it was the result of 2000 people (at the time crunching but Rockstar has thankfully moved past that) putting an extreme amount of effort into the game. it is extremely detailed and there's not another game like it.

gameplay is subjective, definitely. it's one of those games i'm always interested in seeing the perspective of. i see a lot of people off the usual trail who LOVE the gameplay and are constantly asking every other game to feel like it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like it was just yesterday. Amazing how it's all coming back to me. So good.

sWxKGvK.jpg

OP
OP
Montresor

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
End credits rolling after a long and busy month. So much to do at home, so much time invested to take care of my daughter and run errands and spend time with family. But I was able to beat this game. It was INCREDIBLE. The attention to detail and beauty of the world enraptured me. The story captivated me and made me so glad that I have this hobby.

I've played 8 games so far this year, and RDR2 is so far my #1 game. I can't think of anything that will top it. Not even Starfield. Maybe Hellblade 2 if that comes out this year. But damn, I loved this game. It was such a memorable, unique, and absolutely prestigious and premium experience.

The ratings and rankings for the games I've played so far this year:

1. Red Dead Redemption 2: 5/5
2. Yakuza: Like A Dragon: 5/5
3. Hi-Fi Rush: 5/5
4. Lost Judgment: 5/5
5. Lost Judgment's Kaito Files expansion: 5/5
6. Forza Horizon 5's Rally Adventure expansion: 4.5/5
7. High on Life: 4/5
8. Immortality: 4/5

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
As someone who has given the game several tries and has maybe one more left before bouncing off permanently…

I respect the amount of polish and attention to detail in many aspects of the world and its systems. However, I can't comprehend the people who say it is stunningly beautiful to look at. The art style is just not for me maybe? I like Rockstar stuff better when it's low poly and somewhat cartoonish I guess.

For that reason, I'm going to give it one last go on the steam deck. Wish me luck or it's $20 down the drain for the steam version.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
A shame that it still has not gotten a next-gen version..
The game is beautiful as it is, just give us 60fps

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
what's possible with years of dev time with a crazy budget and lots of talented ppl cranking away at it. it was years ahead of its time playing it on a xbone at launch back in 2018 and it still feels that way playing it now. sad if we'll never get a current gen patch.

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
Does playing this on PS5 look as good as this trailer?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE
Or was this captured on PC or something? I saw this yesterday on my tv, and while it looks good on my monitor, it was just gorgeous on my tv. I've really been waiting for a PS5 version though if it already looks this good I might just get the current version.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

Or was this captured on PC or something? I saw this yesterday on my tv, and while it looks good on my monitor, it was just gorgeous on my tv. I've really been waiting for a PS5 version though if it already looks this good I might just get the current version.

The game just looked f***ing impressive on all platforms, especially the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. On the One X it ran at native 4k even. It remains to this day one of the prettiest games out there.

TheExtra

May 14, 2020
The game still screams quality even now.

I'm just waiting for a 60fps version for PS5.

Will we ever see it? No? Damn.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 on PC is still the most impressive looking game I've ever played.

I adore this game. Easily my all time favourite, and Arthur is my favourite character. It's a slow burn but if you can get into it there is nothing else quite like it.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
If they ever patched this for ps5 I'd buy this digitally no questions asked.

Amazing game, yes it was slow and controlled a certain way but I felt it added to the charm and setting of a slower paced time.
So atmospheric just taking your time and exploring.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is pretty much the PS4 Pro version. So yes, PS5 is the same.

(although some patches earlier after launch did reduce some shadow settings if I recall correctly, but 99% is the same)

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredibly impressive. My only real problem with it is that it feels like two different developers worked on it; one focused on making the most impressive wilderness sandbox game, and another focused on making a linear storydriven game. And sometimes it feels like the two of them didn't talk to eachother.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017

Yeah, since this looks like it's running on PS4 or PS4 Pro, it will look the same on PS5. PC would look much, much better tbh. (Even the Xbox One X version is significantly better in terms of image quality.)

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Own it on Xbox and didn't get far in.

I'm tempted to pick it up on Steam sale at the moment to try it out on my new build. Game looks amazing still after 5 years.

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
The game just looked f***ing impressive on all platforms, especially the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. On the One X it ran at native 4k even. It remains to this day one of the prettiest games out there.

This is pretty much the PS4 Pro version. So yes, PS5 is the same.

(although some patches earlier after launch did reduce some shadow settings if I recall correctly, but 99% is the same)

Yeah, since this looks like it's running on PS4 or PS4 Pro, it will look the same on PS5. PC would look much, much better tbh. (Even the Xbox One X version is significantly better in terms of image quality.)

Thanks everyone. If this is what it will look like on PS5 I think I will be more than happy. If I get the game on disc, would the recommendation be to patch it or to play unpatched?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Quite a big step ahead of everyone else.

Overall the game of the generation. Others might do certain things better but on the whole nothing comes close.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing visuals and character writing that make up for the repetitive and simple gameplay loops. Found myself wishing I was playing BotW at times which horse traversing, even if it looks like a GameCube game by comparison.

it's a tehcnical marvel. It's truly in a class of it's own.

How does it run on steamdeck?

Pretty great tbh. I played a decent chunk of it on deck and it looks stunning. Just don't stray too far from a power cable.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 @ 4K/max on PC is still, pound for pound, the best looking game out there IMO. Even after many, many hundreds of hours it that world takes my breat way.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to replay it, but I want to do so at 60fps, and I feel like that's not happening on consoles anytime soon.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Been hankering to get back into this since I stopped around chapter 4 I think when it came out (the city). But I've also forgotten how to play and what's going on in the story

Bengraven