• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
redfactionre.jpg

Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered

Publisher: THQ Nordic
Developers: Volition, Kaiko
Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One
Price: About 30 US$
Storage: 32GB(PC) 28GB(Consoles)

PC Minimum:
Processor: Intel or AMD Dual Core CPU 2,5 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 10 Feature Level AMD or NVIDIA Card with 1 GB VRAM
DirectX: Version 11

PC Recommended:
Processor: Intel or AMD Quad Core CPU 3 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 Feature Level AMD or NVIDIA Card with 2 GB VRAM
DirectX: Version 11

Remastered version of the last gen game of utter destruction.

Features
  • Fully reworked graphics – Heavily reworked textures and graphic features adding for example specular maps.
  • Improved shadow rendering
  • Improved Lighting
  • Shader & Postprocessing rework
  • Native 4k support
  • Runs 1080/60 in performance mode on upgradegen consoles

Get your ass to Mars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Will update OP later with some more thingies, but safe to say that the original game was in my TOP 10 games of last gen, it's really damn fun :D (too bad we never got a sequel)

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
One of my absolute favorite games is backkkkkkkkkkk!

This is still a great game and let's you have so much fun with the most explosive sandbox in any game. Check out this fun clip I made last night.

(60fps on PS4 Pro)

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the gems from the last generation, multiplayer was a blast as well with how much freedom you had.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Anyone else getting a bug where the mouse intermittently freezes for around 3-10 seconds?

Also, getting crashes all over the place.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Seem to have actual 21:9 support as well

EDIT: FoV wasn't maxed. I put it up all the way but hit ESC to exit the menu and it doesn't save unless you hit ENTER on it first.

49E7FB4AF1FBAF77B84210D7FD78F3A27D2C3850

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Runs 1080/60 in performance mode on upgradegen consoles
This isn't 100% true on a PS4 Pro, I get some drops when stuff gets really hectic. Not terrible mind you, but it's definitely there and consistent.

That said, I'm having a ton of fun with this game. Driving is pretty bad, but once I got used to it I was ramming dump trucks through EDF barracks like the old days. Really makes me miss this class of game (B-game, AA game? whatever) that's a ton of fun, but rough around the edges. I got stuck under a building when it was collapsing and my character went all Mr. Fantastic and stretched about 20 ft high, then snapped back to normal when I got out of the debris.

Enough talk, I'm gonna go smash some space fascists with my sledgehammer.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Picked it up in Xbox. Can't wait to jump back in. I never finished the campaign but the multiplayer was so fun. I can't recall, does this have split screen local mp?

Oct 28, 2017
Playing on PC and getting intermittent stutters. Actually, "freeze" is the better term as everything stops for like a second or half second. Had in installed on my HDD and SSD, neither made a difference.

980ti, 4790k, 16gb ram.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have any stuttering or freezing yesterday.
R9 390, 16GB, 6600K (no OC).
1080p, maxed settings, 62 FOV.

Ran very smooth, though explosions and destruction tended to cause some framerate drops.

The refresh rate setting seems to be broken though. I set Vsync on with 60Hz refresh rate but the framerate got capped at 75 (display set at 75Hz).

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looks and plays really well on the XB-X outside of an occasional hitch here and there.

Really awesome to have this game playing at 60fps with crystal clear image quality. The last gen assets are mostly noticeable in regards to NPC's but generally speaking the game holds up well enough visually and the destruction is still amazing to behold, especially considering that nothing this generation matches it thus far.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I just bought this. I seriously caved because I really couldn't use this regarding my backlog but the ultimate destruction is just something I miss.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should mention it's free for anyone that owns the original version on Steam.

Jan 15, 2018
For some reason, the game isn't letting me raise the framerate, every time I change it in the setting, it just goes back to 60fps, anyone else having this issue?

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember buying this on Steam but I clearly have it in my library. Never played past the demo, so it'll be cool to finally play through it.

...I get this for free right?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Will be picking my copy up as soon as they bother to release them in the wild!

THQ stuff (and especially Volition stuff) is my jam.

Garuda1One

Dec 11, 2017
Dude i just found out that this is free if you own the vanilla steam version.. downloading now...
anyone with a gtx 1060 want to share the performance ? (not 4k)

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I still have the original and my 360 hooked up, so not sure I'll be getting it. But sure glad one of the best games Volition ever made is getting attention again. With the IP and developer now back under the same umbrella, maybe we'll see another installment in the future that builds on this one rather than Armageddon.

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the performance on PS4 is abysmal. Can anyone state the same for PC?
Performance is fine on PC. i7 4770k, 1080 ti.

The framerate problem with the PC version is the new 112fps cap (it's iffy.10% of the time, I got it to lock to 120fps with vsync), when the original game could go as high as 300fps.

Other problems include resolution/refresh rate changes during active gameplay being just as problematic as the original version. You have to go back to the main menu. Switiching between screen modes is now possible without alt+tab shortcuts like the last version.

Positives are the graphics are indeed better, and the dialogue audio quality is much higher.

EDIT: The PC gaming wiki page for the game says a registered user managed 125fps within the last day, but it doesn't say how they did it.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, this is free if you have the Steam version "already".
Look at that Bandai Namco, look at that.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
It looks and plays really good on the X. One of my favorite games. I didn't think I would get sucked in again, but... Loving it.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Wow I love this game. The original game was one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd have paid full price for this too. But did they give a free remaster for people who owned original steam version? I was going to buy it but saw was already in library.

I remember playing non remaster PC version a short while back and I think this new version controls way way better, especially after mapping left trigger to aim (then RS click to melee)

I also think the game looks quite beautiful considering how long ago the original came out (and considering that everything is destructible in this game). I particularly like the fact that the assets for interiors have been retextured to look incredible so I can see every item of food and drink in the vending machines for example.

I'm actually loving this game just like I did the original. Destroying structures is so fun due to the physics based modelling which no other game has really attempted, so I actually LIKE finishing a map and blowing up every single target. Its fun finishing a sector rather than a chore in a lot of open world games, especially due to the scrap mechanic letting you buy new weapons and upgrades.

I hope this game finds an audience, and they arent put off by the fact that this is still a prettied up version of what originally was a ps3/360 release. I'd love a sequel, perhaps next gen consoles. It could feature a terraformed mars.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Jumped back in and played about 2 hours of SP until a crash.

This game is so good still. I had just played Mad Max yesterday and the comparison is that Guerilla is just a better dusty sandbox.

Gonna play a bit more single player then jump into multiplayer - Can't be stated enough how excellent the MP in this game is.

I do wish there was aim-assist for us controller folk like back when it was released on console. There's gyro support in game, but I don't want to use steam controller for lack of camera control outside of gyro. I need to get a switch Pro controller and that would help. Maybe one day steam will support split joycon and all will be right in the world.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Boy if any game could benefit from cross play this is it.. takes so long to find a match on Xbox.. Fun as ever once you do but this is gonna die quickly if it already is not dead.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking love that this was free if you owned the previous version. Did not know that until today. Downloaded it and going to try to finally beat it.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only changes I've noticed so far are that junk now glows much brighter and red. And you can pick junk up while in a vehicle.

Lyude77

Dec 19, 2017
This game is seriously so good. Get it if you haven't played it before. I don't even usually like sandbox shooting stuff but I loved this one.