• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
People have wanted Tifa as the... replacement, but this both is kind of weird (why does a love interest have to replace a love interest... what?), but also is nonsensical as Tifa in FF7 is driven largely by the fact that she knows Cloud is incredibly unwell. If she dies early, then her entire character arc like... doesn't exist?

I do think that keeping Aerith alive in FF7R would add a lot to the game, but Tifa and others don't really make sense. Barrett and Red XIII are the only two characters that have somewhat completed character arcs but Barrett is a more important character in Discs 2 and 3. Build up Cloud's relationship with Red XIII and Red XIII's friendship with Aerith so it can make sense for Red XIII to sacrifice himself for Aerith and so that Cloud is still emotionally distraught.

But Tifa makes no sense as the "replacement."

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The image of Sephiroth descending from the sky and stabbing Red XIII in the back makes me laugh.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Aeris surviving and someone else dying makes no sense anyway. I don't know why people want it changed. It's a major story beat that's integral to the events of the rest of the game and multiple character arcs.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Why people are even thinking in a replacement for starters?

Only thing i can see Aeris alive adding to the remake is silly love triangle romance towards the end. They would need to change a lot of stuff to keep her alive as well. What's the point, really?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What if they don't kill Aerith instead
Image the reactions online

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Better idea: when Cait Sith "dies" at the Temple of the Ancient, leave him dead and have Reeve himself join the party instead of having a second identical Cait Sith immediately join your party and neutering the impact of the death of the previous Cait Sith.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Aeris surviving and someone else dying makes no sense anyway. I don't know why people want it changed. It's a major story beat that's integral to the events of the rest of the game and multiple character arcs.

People want it changed because.

A): Surprise as her death was meant to be shocking even though it's obviously foreshadowed. This will not be the case in the remake.
B): Aerith is considered pseudo fridged by some.
C): This will add new story content to the game.
D): The game is about Aerith saving the world and about Cloud working through his trauma and mental illness. The first can be addressed by changes in-game, the second is not that dependent on Aerith as Cloud has 10k other miserable things happen to him.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The idea that Red XIII or anyone sacrifices themselves goes completely against the intent of the original scene:

We knew even in the early concept stage that one character would have to die. But we only had three to choose from. I mean, Cloud's the main character, so you can't really kill him. And Barret... well, that's maybe too obvious. But we had to pick between Aerith and Barret. We debated this for a long time, but in the end decided to sacrifice Aerith... In the previous FF games, it became almost a signature theme for one character to sacrifice him or herself, and often it was a similar character type from game to game, kind of a brave, last-man-standing, Barret-type character. So everyone expected that. And I think that death should be something sudden and unexpected, and Aerith's death seemed more natural and realistic. Now, when I reflect on Final Fantasy VII, the fact that fans were so offended by her sudden death probably means that we were successful with her character. If fans had simply accepted her death, that would have meant she wasn't an effective character.

http://www.ff7citadel.com/press/int_egm.shtml

In the real world things are very different. You just need to look around you. Nobody wants to die that way. People die of disease and accident. Death comes suddenly and there is no notion of good or bad. It leaves, not a dramatic feeling but great emptiness. When you lose someone you loved very much you feel this big empty space and think, 'If I had known this was coming I would have done things differently.' These are the feelings I wanted to arouse in the players with Aerith's death relatively early in the game. Feelings of reality and not Hollywood.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep Aerith alive would not add anything. it would do the opposite.

There should be no choices, no opportunity to bring her back, none of that garbage.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Hey when that greatly loved classic video game that tons of people love gets remade you know what would make it better? If they killed the dog! Would be a HUGE improvement guys, huge!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Stop letting anyone that isn't me make ff7 threads.

Combine redxiii with cait sith like they did in advent children

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Red XIII's death would ruin the ending of FF7.

Red XIII is supposed to outlive every other character 500 years in the future to show that nature and life have taken over once again and that the corruption of man no longer burdens the planet.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I hope they leave Aerith's death as is just to annoy everyone suggesting that they shouldn't kill her in this one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they leave Aerith's death as is just to annoy everyone suggesting that they shouldn't kill her in this one.

I legitimately don't understand why people want them not to kill her. Her death is one of the most important moments in the game. What good would keeping her alive accomplish?

Oct 25, 2017
Have square said they would be changing the Plot? Obviously they adding and slight minor stuff but I've seen nothing so far to suggest they'll be changing the story heavily in any way. So what's spawning the aerith stuff. Course it's not a spoiler anymore to us it's a remake of the game

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
So we got..

Barrat needs to be less white
Aeris needs to be Aerith and more japanese looking
Red XIII needs to die

Only had a couple of trailers, God help the devs as it's gonna get scrutinised at every turn. So glad i played this in 1997.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Have square said they would be changing the Plot? Obviously they adding and slight minor stuff but I've seen nothing so far to suggest they'll be changing the story heavily in any way. So what's spawning the aerith stuff. Course it's not a spoiler anymore to us it's a remake of the game

You can't remake a shocking plot twist with any degree of the same effectiveness (assuming the original was popular) is a large part of the point.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? No. Embellish and make additions, but let's not randomly kill off characters for the sake of being different, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.