• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the same bullshit as when people said kids shouldn't dress up in the Maui costume because it was equivalent to blackface?

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Dressing up as the costume is fine as long as parents don't alter their child's skin-color. This story has been making rounds for days now in mainstream news. It's mostly fabricated outrage that's causing many people to hop on the "everyone is offended by everything!" train. Stuff like this harms the cause more than it helps.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
The Maui costume could not work in any way, because you cannot do that costume without some sort of coloring underneath the tattoos. Make it transparent really wasn't a viable option there.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the alternative when you can't put your kid in transparent clothing?

What's wrong with just the red top and the shirt?

edit: if you are talking about the Rock character, my suggestion is to sell tattoo sticker s that you put on a regular tee shirt.

Last edited:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cultural Appropriation as a broadly-applied rule is where I kinda get off the bus. So many great and wonderful things can be accomplished when we share and respect each other. I remember when there was the Kimono exhibit in Boston where they encouraged visitors of ALL ethnicities and backgrounds to share in the Japan's beautiful culture. It was picketed by Asian-American groups for cultural appropriation and cultural fetishization. Meanwhile, In Japan, the media narrative you'd hear was "Look at these Chinese and Koreans trying to prevent Westerners from enjoying our culture... they must be jealous." The irony is that non-Japanese people appropriated Japanese culture so they can be outraged.

When I wore traditional Japanese clothes in Japan people stopped and THANKED me. 3 different times. Just a few years later we'd have this kind of backlash. In my experiences, a white guy wearing Japanese clothes makes Japanese people upset like a Japanese guy wearing a cowboy hat would make a Texan upset. You think the Texan will be like "Excuse me, but you do not have the right or ability to appreciate my sacred and mystical culture." Hell no, he'll be like "WHOOOO now you're dressing son WHOOOO"lol

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Dressing up as the costume is fine as long as parents don't alter their child's skin-color. This story has been making rounds for days now in mainstream news. It's mostly fabricated outrage that's causing many people to hop on the "everyone is offended by everything!" train. Stuff like this harms the cause more than it helps.
This.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, little kids should be whoever they want for Halloween. I saw a black kid dressed as Captain America yesterday and it made me smile. I also saw a black Moana and wondered if the outrage brigade would be as critical of her as they would a white Moana.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, little kids should be whoever they want for Halloween. I saw a black kid dressed as Captain America yesterday and it made me smile. I also saw a black Moana and wondered if the outrage brigade would be as critical of her as they would a white Moana.

It's stuff like that that warms my heart and makes me think that maybe there'll be a generation where colour truly doesn't matter. A bit naive, I know, but I have hope when I see that.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This is the kind of shit that frustrates me. I try to explain to my parents that cultural appropriation is a real thing, and they throw articles like this in my face to say it's been taken too far.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The clothes of Moana are just the traditional clothes (as far as I know) of a certain group of people. They're not religiously important or anything.

This type of cultural appropriation is literally just "keep the cultures separate" which goes entirely against the idea of having a multicultural society.

Oct 27, 2017
You should be wanting kids - especally white kids - to dress up as Moana. Fuck sake getting them interested in different cultures is half the battle.

Oct 27, 2017
Surely it's good that the Polynesian culture get more exposure and recognition? My daughter loves the film (as do I) and if she wanted to dress up as a minority character for Halloween I'd damn well encourage it. It's better than all of the focus being on the likes of Belle, Cinderella or Aurora.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when I was a kid I used to just dress up in a sheet and go as a ghost, as did a lot of other poor kids in my neighborhood. As I grew up in Vancouver and it was guaranteed to rain on Halloween, forcing you to have a hat on under the sheet to keep warm, you'd see a lot of white sheets with pointy heads running down the dark streets with flashlights looking in yards. I feel bad just thinking back on it.

Anyways, kids should be able to dress up as anyone as long as they're not changing their skin colour. One exception might be a first nation's indian costume, as it's not a costume.
dont go to holy week in spain

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea of minority heroes being such notable icons that kids of other races want to dress as them is great. That's the eventual goal, right? That anybody regardless of their background can be inspirational?

A huge part of greater representation in pop culture is that so minorities can have icons that look like them. But I think another thing we should strive for is majority kids having heroes that don't look like them. I know personally that the first white kid I see dressed as Black Panther is going to be hugely inspirational to me
This is my thought, we should want ALL kids to take inspiration and drive from all positive influences in all cultures. I'd also be much happier my daughters taking a cue from Moana than Cinderella personally.