• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
e9dcrgtl.jpg

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's clearly a pretty simple bug at heart, but it's an amusing oversight. One thing that did spring to mind, though, on a slightly broader scope than playtesting:

Bioware's utter incompetence on all levels with this game, from concept to design to execution, is astonishing. They have no idea what they're doing. So happy I got the Platinum and checked out. Game's an utter shitshow.

It's crossed my mind that, thinking about it, I'm not sure I know of a Bioware RPG system - that is the mathematical stuff underpinning that holds the combat aspects of the RPG together - that quite worked. Baldur's Gate did, of course, but that was a direct port of the AD&D mechanics that were already solid. KOTOR's brilliant, but - for me at least - it was brilliant *despite* some fairly mundane RPG mechanics. I've only played Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age 1, but in both those cases, too, I don't recall the numbers side of things that underpinned it all being particularly engaging.

I'm wondering if that's actually a flaw Bioware have on the RPG front. This might wholly be ignorance; I've not played, say, Jade Empire, does that have a more robust game system underpinning it? Maybe things developed nicely in the later Mass Effects or DAs. At heart this bug is something that should have become an apparent risk at the planning stages, before ever getting anywhere near code; the fact that it didn't makes me wonder if the problem has always been at root in Bioware, but overlooked because their implementations of existing systems masked that flaw.

(Fair's fair, I'm assuming that the design flaw wasn't considered, rather than the possibility that it was considered but the implementor overlooked those notes)

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't believe bugs like this are uncommon in games that employ scaling. But it's still something that should have been caught prior to releasing the new scaling.

These two examples were presented in that thread, no idea if they're true.

Seems like a simple solution to just fix the averaging so this slot counts even when unequipped.
This is a bit worse than the examples given because you're removing functionality from a class in order to become stronger. Some of the support abilities are pretty good and enhance the class fantasy, but in this case you're better off just not using them. Scaling issues are one thing, but when a game is better when you can't engage with a system, it's indicative of a larger design issue.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's like aliens came down to earth, saw an MMO and were like "we can make that".

What a bunch of absolute dorks. Who needs fancy damage algorithms when you can just balance around one number?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe release an actual, real beta of your GaaS instead of a shitty demo. A beta implies you're actually paying attention and have time to fix things before release.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
This game can't get out of its own way

This is the truest, most distilled statement I have heard regarding Anthem. If the game succeeds, it's in spite of Bioware not due to them. been sad to watch since launch, and I have not bought the game due to all the issues.

I truly hope BioWare gets their shit together and turn this game around. They have made some of my favorite games of all time and I want them to stay in business and thrive :/

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Come on Bioware...

It's not like they haven't had loot in their games in the past (Dragon Age Inquisition was this gen and had normal working look), so I don't know why they're failing so fundamentally with a this game all of a sudden.

I mean, Blizzard messed up with Diablo 3 at launch, but at least for me that was more of a droprate issue (Not getting good enough items on your own which required you to use the auction house or grind for a long time), it wasn't the fundamental function of the loot itself that was broken.
I mean, DAI had a non-broken loot system, but the I can't think of a game with less exiciting drops than that one. Not only was the drop rate super stingy, all the weapon and weapon design in that game was super dull.

That game should have been a warning sign. BioWare needs to stay far away from anything involving big open spaces and loot.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't quite understand what went on during this game's development. What kind of thought process is this?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played it yet, but this isn't perse a bug and is around in many other games that do the whole "average gear"-thing. So the primary issue here is that there are apparently nohigh-levell support items. Alternatively, just exclude those from your scaling BS formula.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't quite understand what went on during this game's development. What kind of thought process is this?
"What? No. People aren't gonna ignore the loot. It doesn't matter if it actually makes a difference. People see the numbers go up and they equip it. That's how these games work."

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Wonder if we'll ever find out when this version of the game was started. This is not a game that's been in dev for 6 years.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Quick maffs gone wrong

Hey, if they're gonna be pouring resources into mediocrity, might as well hook up some Andromeda DLC. Just a thought, Bioware.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
So the best way to play the end-game is to equip a lvl 1 weapon and no components ? lmao

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada

Sadly at this point I have more faith in FO76 to sort things out than Bioware. The roadmap for anthem was threadbare. Over the next few months they are adding free play events but no new strongholds. There are three right now and no reason to play any other than tyrant mine as they share loot. Grandmaster 2 and 3 offer nothing over GM1 from a reward perspective so what's the point of playing them other than to double the amount of time to finish the stronghold. I will say I've enjoyed my +-30 hrs overall but don't see going any further with the game at this toime. The cosmetics are not there. The stats continue to be broken in new ways etc. my biggest disappointment was the need to load back at the end of every mission and that they couldn't be done in free play. It feels less like a world and more like a "game".

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
In the miracle that EA doesn't take this game out back, since Bioware are probably going to have to heavily rework loot either way to have the slightest hope of saving this game at this point they may well embrace the meme. "Actually the loot was just a trap by the villain to limit your true potential, but now you can do this mission as a community to unlock the "real" loot!"

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
And to think someone wanted me to just play the game and ignore all this while hoping it gets fixed. Fuck THAT lmao

Skipping the game was the best decision I made for gaming this year. I don't think I could take all the shit the Anthem community has been dealing with. And this is coming from a Destiny veteran.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably the same issue as the LVL1 weapon stuff:

A bad Level Scaling algorithm that's meant to let players of different loot level play toghether and in doing that makes most of the loot meaningless.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Anthem can pull a Destiny-like reboot and turnaround but considering it's EA/Bioware I don't think they have the enviroment to do that.

WeAreVenumb

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that everyone is acting like this is the most amateurish mistake ever, but it's also happened in WoW....twice.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they put out a roadmap.png so everything is going to be fine. #loot2.0

Kudos to the people who paid to beta test for the real launch in a year.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
As a person that got and still enjoys the game, I have to say this game is broken as fuck in every measure way and that is BEFORE all the bugs and performance issues.

Universities can literally start a course of "How not to design a video game" and just have students played it as course material.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
is this a new feature because of the patch or was it existing way before, i don't know which one is worse lol

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
As a person that got and still enjoys the game, I have to say this game is broken as fuck in every measure way and that is BEFORE all the bugs and performance issues.

Universities can literally start a course of "How not to design a video game" and just have students played it as course material.

You distilled my rant perfectly. I love the flying and gunplay but everything else is broken...so broken.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Quick maffs gone wrong

Hey, if they're gonna be pouring resources into mediocrity, might as well hook up some Andromeda DLC. Just a thought, Bioware.

Yup. Platinumed both and ME:A is an infinitely better game. Anthem is basically ME sans-squad mates, versatile powers, the cover system, and a story. Well, technically, Anthem has a story, but it's like 10 missions long and so linear and bland, it makes Destiny 1 Year 1 look good. Andromeda might have crap writing, but at least it has an expanded cast that matters, and actual story beats to punctuate the action. It has clearly defined first, second, and final acts, and manages to tell a complete, if not terribly inspired tale. Anthem's story feels like a prologue, and then it just ends abruptly.

I'm confident the Quarian ark DLC would have made for a more compelling experience that what Anthem's provided me.