• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I had such unreal amounts of hype for Anthem back when it was announced.

The setting, graphics, gameplay + Bioware basically made E3 for me.

The game has now officially hit Fallout 76 status for me where I've uninstalled it and am no longer even playing (never even touched F76 but still), but I am deriving more entertainment value from posts and revelations like this vs the actual game...

Also, what a twist: I bought a year of Origin Access Premiere mainly for BFV and Anthem.

Both of those games are currently uninstalled, but I noticed Premiere included full access to Dragon Age Inquisition + all of its DLC, so that's what I'm currently playing til my sub expires lmfao

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Not surprised if the gameplay code is all jumbled up like a ball of spaghetti at this point. Pity the few junior devs who will be tasked to unravel the mess.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don't understand how you can craft such a good core combat mechanic (the shooting and the flying), and fail so miserably with everything else. It's like there were two main teams working at the same time on the game - and one of them wasn't good with numbers.

The flying and combos (basically the only two things that are good) were probably a part of the vertical slice. Everything else seems hastily tacked on a tech demo.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I think it's obvious that's the case, but that's not a rushed product. That's a terribly managed one.

Technically it's rushed if the actual product we got was only in tangible development for 2 years tops and then actually rushed to meet the FY deadline. Which either way is what EA did, the same way they did with Andromeda. I'm sure the execs knew this game was rough and needed more time but the shareholders gotta have a physical release to end the FY. Unless they've changed that date IIRC Q4 ends in March for EA.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
We are beta testers... Also props to the players finding these issues. I mostly gave up on the game and it manages to kill any cravings I have for playing by still being frigging unstable when I try to play it.

Back to Warframe and I may even go back to playing OW instead of just watching it.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I am trying to negotiate with my self the idea of having Bioware terminated by EA.

It is a very painful process as it is something that i wish it will not happen.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If they could take the flying combat and setting from this game and the back end of Division 2 you would have a really good game on your hands. Well back to destiny strikes until they fix this.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Technically it's rushed if the actual product we got was only in tangible development for 2 years tops and then actually rushed to meet the FY deadline. Which either way is what EA did, the same way they did with Andromeda. I'm sure the execs knew this game was rough and needed more time but the shareholders gotta have a physical release to end the FY. Unless they've changed that date IIRC Q4 ends in March for EA.
No. If they had 7 years to work on this project and they only spent 2 of those years actually working on it, thats not rushing a product-thats taking far too long in pre development and poor management skills. Blaming this on EA after they spent 7 years pumping money and resources into this game without a damn thing to show for and then thinking they should have given Bioware more time is insane. Thats more time energy, money and resources than 99% of other developers get when making games. EA was entirely and totally in the right to at this point say, fuck it, you get no more time and money, were shipping the game and getting all we can from it and moving on. I would do the same thing as well. No way do we excuse them for spending 5 years in pre development or having to continuously start over and act like they were rushed. This isn't a rush job. This is just a bad job.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
While "Shareholders" is an easy-to-target bogeyman, the fact remains that Bioware worked on Anthem for six years. No publisher will ever be willing to throw infinite time and money at a project, and in the shape that the game launched, it's hard to say how much time Bioware would have needed to ship the game in a state that wasn't an embarrassment. So in this particular instance, EA deciding to release the game for the FY cutoff and eating the bad PR might have been their best option.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
0b5154879fcb827e45eb82d5f948bc37_w200.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Are the same people who made ME1, JE, etc still at BioWare ? Serious question.
Nope, most long gone. We tend to forget that people don't often stay around in companies that long and then wonder how they fall from grace.

I really wanna read about what happened with this game. Sucks that Blood, sweat and pixels 2 isn't the next book.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, most long gone. We tend to forget that people don't often stay around in companies that long and then wonder how they fall from grace.

I really wanna read about what happened with this game. Sucks that Blood, sweat and pixels 2 isn't the next book.

I seriously didn't know that.
So most people who worked on ME1 gone.
No wonder..

Oct 25, 2017
On the positive note (I guess) the guy on Reddit that said this game was a mess and would be delayed was right. EA just didn't do it. Hopefully that means he was about the PS5 too.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know what happened at Bioware. I'm not trying to pile on anymore. I just want to know what happened

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I cant help but laugh at all this drama but I also feel really bad for Bioware.

edit: removed part of my post cause it felt a little disrectful to the hard work these employees must have made to create this game. Sorry

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
No. If they had 7 years to work on this project and they only spent 2 of those years actually working on it, thats not rushing a product-thats taking far too long in pre development and poor management skills. Blaming this on EA after they spent 7 years pumping money and resources into this game without a damn thing to show for and then thinking they should have given Bioware more time is insane. Thats more time energy, money and resources than 99% of other developers get when making games. EA was entirely and totally in the right to at this point say, fuck it, you get no more time and money, were shipping the game and getting all we can from it and moving on. I would do the same thing as well. No way do we excuse them for spending 5 years in pre development or having to continuously start over and act like they were rushed. This isn't a rush job. This is just a bad job.
We don't have to excuse it be we should consider to what extent EA influenced development of the game and how many times they restructured or completely restarted development. It's even worse than an Activision/Destiny situation in terms of the possible conflicts because BioWare is actually owned by EA, not simply contractually obligated.

To be fair this is really speculation, but EA doesn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

Oct 30, 2017
We don't have to excuse it be we should consider to what extent EA influenced development of the game and how many times they restructured or completely restarted development. It's even worse than an Activision/Destiny situation in terms of the possible conflicts because BioWare is actually owned by EA, not simply contractually obligated.

To be fair this is really speculation, but EA doesn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

I'm sure EA's culture has an influence on their studios, but we have heard many times that they've let a lot of their studios the freedom to do what they want. Both Respawn and BW have said many of the choices to do things have been their own. Im sure EA pushes certain things, but to me that doesn't seem to be the issue since we are looking at an incomplete game that can't even function. Based on a lot of things and their most recent games it seems to me that BW has leadership issues. Poor management, poor planning and low quality games.

With that being said, Casey is back and now the GM. So we will see in a few years if he can turn things around for BioWare.

Last edited:

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
All these mess ups only give the impression Bioware made a game they didn't even know how to make. That's the worst thing of all, as it exposes a lack of knowledge, understanding, and even confidence in accomplishing what they proclaim they're going for.
Honestly they still don't know.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I'm sure EA's culture has an influence on their studios, but we have heard many times that they've let a lot of their studios the freedom to do what they want. Both Respawn and BW have said many of the choices to do things have been their own. Im sure EA pushes certain things, but to me that doesn't seem to be the issue since we are looking at an incomplete game that can't even function. Based on a lot of things and their most recent games it seems to me that BW has leadership issues. Poor management, poor planning and low quality games.

With that being said, Casey is back and now the GM. So we will see in a few years if he can turn things around for BioWare.

If they get that chance. I really hope Dragon Age comes out but I remember around the time Hudson got pulled back and other teams came to help with anthem, there were some ominous things said by some employees about dragon age and I'm assuming since all we've seen is a teaser that it was in predevelopment at best.

I really hope BioWare gets the chance to atone for MEA and Anthem

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
My friend and I saw this reddit post yesterday and both tried this and got no 'massive increase in damage' so I feel swindled.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are we assuming that this is what EA did? To arrive at your conclusion we have to start with the assumption that EA restarted development for them, that they changed what the game was and how it was being made, etc. And the problems with this game, many of its inherent designs, are in no way something a publisher would dictate (like the current topic at hand). Its ridiculous to blame the publisher to a time frame 99% of other games will never come close to receiving and acting like theyre the ones pushing this through quickly. I have no doubt that bioware had to put whatever they could together 20 months out from release, but we dont ignore the fact that prior to that they 4.5 years of dev time and clearly didn't use them accordingly. We can blame EA and activision for a lot of shitty, scummy things but at some point were excusing poor design decisions and time management by scapegoating the publishers when its clear that the game's inherent faults are coming from the developers and designers.

This was in no way a rush job. This was just a poor job.

Have we been living in the same year? 2019 has been outstanding already.
Seriously I want to know what universe that person is living in to think 2019 is not a good year lol. 2019, not even a quarter of the way in, is phenomenal.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
If this was actually intentionally designed as a way to make a high risk high reward loadout, it'd be pretty sweet. Doesn't seem to be the case.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yup! I used to do QA for my previous company on our product and these issues are so overt there is no way they didn't know. They literally shipped this not giving a damn and thinking they could patch it up. Just think about all of the lies they told about the Day One patch when they started getting that bad feedback from the demo and "Early Access". They keep kicking the can hoping that people will stay around long enough for them to fix it.

This game is so frustrating because it could've been so amazing and they really fucked it up in every conceivable way possible.
Yep, for me that would have been a release critical bug (or at least a high priority bug). Of course it's not possible to fix all bugs, but there is difference between measly C bugs and B or A bugs that really affect the experience.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even gonna shit on Bioware for this. The game was clearly not ready for release but EA absolutely needed to kick it out the door this fiscal quarter.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I don't understand how you can craft such a good core combat mechanic (the shooting and the flying), and fail so miserably with everything else. It's like there were two main teams working at the same time on the game - and one of them wasn't good with numbers.
That's actually exactly how game development works, different parts of a big game like this are made by different teams.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
My friend and I saw this reddit post yesterday and both tried this and got no 'massive increase in damage' so I feel swindled.
It's not massive in my eyes but there's a notable increase. Managed to easily kill Tyrant boss on GM1 without it scaling the walls. My sniper was doing over 200k damage to its weak point. Usually I think this is around 150k.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
just need a "you fly faster looking at the ground" for the circle of life to be complete