• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
Maybe it's time for EA to take Bioware out back and shoot it like they usually do? Bioware clearly is not the company we used to know and love.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for the people at Bioware, to be honest. It's been constant negative press for the game since it launched and none of it will help sell more copies.

I wonder if the team regrets making it a live game.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
The inexperience from the peeps in Bioware in creating a looter game is really showing. Like really showing.

I still can't believe that something as basic as a waypoint is not available in this game. Like, how come? Unbelievable.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't touched the game in over 2 weeks, almost everyone has dropped it on my friends list

Goddamn was this game a goddamn train wreck

Feb 13, 2018
This is how the developement of Anthem actually went down:

EA in 2017 AFTER seeing Destiny 2 hype: 'They did it again! The hype omg. They will sell millions of the same low content game for 60 $ AGAIN. Bioware I want one of these too, NOW!'

Bioware: 'Its just gonna a be a bad Destiny clone, no one is gonna like it'

EA: 'Clone? We don't copy anyone bwhahaha?' *picks up unused Mass Effect armor art design* 'Hmm this looks spacey enough, when was this made?'

Bioware: ,A few years ago, maybe 2013, wh...?'

EA: , So be it! We gonna say development started when this piece of art was made. So in 2019 it will be 6 years then. Which means we already worked 4 years on this.... why isn't it finished yet, Bioware! What am I paying you for you stupid pricks?!'

Bioware: ' Wut?'

EA: ' Shut up and begone, before I forget myself and send you to deat..er I mean to the place where our bad kids go. I expect a finished game by 2019.'

True story.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, given that Bioware has shown in the past that they have known how to make a functioning product, I'm more inclined to believe the fault lies at EA's feet for pretty much everything wrong with this game
After Andromeda, I'm not sure how one can hold on to that belief.

Lots of companies make functioning products at one point and then make shit the next. You don't stumble around in the dark for 6 years simply "because EA". EA didn't mandate a No Mans Sky. That was Bioware's idea. And it was Bioware's idea to hold on to that idea for too long.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
EA really fucked this game, didn't they

I don't know. At this point I'm starting to wonder whether Bioware's reputation is being damaged by association with EA, or whether EA's reputation (what little it has left) is being damaged by association with Bioware.

I love(d) BW, don't get me wrong, but what they did with Anthem is some shameful shit - and I'm not talking about bugs and loading screens, but the absolutely uninspired content, the minimal viable product they shat out.
Looking at what Massive did with simple core gameplay loop in The Division 2, how much varied and entertaining shit they bundled on top of it, how is the best Anthem could come up with "stand here until an arbitrary bar fills" and "shoot these dudes spawning from thin air until they stop spawning"?

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Haha, they probably shouldn't do this, because it really does make it appear like they want the players to beta test their game, haha.

BetaTester.jpg

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know. At this point I'm starting to wonder whether Bioware's reputation is being damaged by association with EA, or whether EA's reputation (what little it has left) is being damaged by association with Bioware.

I love(d) BW, don't get me wrong, but what they did with Anthem is some shameful shit - and I'm not talking about bugs and loading screens, but the absolutely uninspired content, the minimal viable product they shat out.
Looking at what Massive did with simple core gameplay loop in The Division 2, how much varied and entertaining shit they bundled on top of it, how is the best Anthem could come up with "stand here until an arbitrary bar fills" and "shoot these dudes spawning from thin air until they stop spawning"?

Yeah this isn't EA's fault alone. At the end of the day, Bioware developed the game and they're ultimately just as responsible for this train wreck.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmfao! This game will be dead in a few weeks anyway with the lack of endgame content and the overall bugginess of the game, if it isn't already (Division 2 is also incoming). The subreddit is also turning on Bioware really fast, whereas they were singing their praises just weeks ago.

What a shitshow

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
After Andromeda, I'm not sure how one can hold on to that belief.

Andromeda adds credibility to "EA meddling caused this", because it's part of a very visible pattern that started right after bioware got bought. We've seen this kind of thing since DA2 (remember the copypasta caves with the doors barely filled in?). Bioware is being squeezed, and it shows.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
At this point, given that Bioware has shown in the past that they have known how to make a functioning product, I'm more inclined to believe the fault lies at EA's feet for pretty much everything wrong with this game

Exactly, in the past where I assume a lot of developers were; likely aren't working at bioware now.

I have this nagging thought that a lot of design choices in say, certain website, social media, user interfaces and such that really bug me (and a lot of others) are from a newer generation of people who think form over function is more appropriate OR the older generation thinking that's what the newer gen wants and likes. It's really fuckin' important to read the entire thing!

It could also be Frostbite.

DA:I - https://www.tweaktown.com/news/57906/dices-frostbite-play-rpgs/index.html
Mass Effect Andromeda - https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-frostbite-engine-nearly-tanked-mass-effect-andromeda
Cancelled Star Wars Game - https://gamingbolt.com/viscerals-ca...ung-by-the-frostbite-engine-as-per-amy-hennig
Anthem - Obviously we know what's going on here.

It's the same story each game "It's an engine that works great for what is was made for, adding and creating systems is very difficult".

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
EA really fucked this game, didn't they

I mean, they certainly did in so far that the game was clearly not ready and this post-launch disaster all but guaranteed.

That doesn't mean that the game's development wasn't a huge mess in and of itself and Bioware is likely to blame for that. But still, EA pushed for a release of a game that probably needed another year in the least. Or, which I find very hard to believe, Bioware was actually fine with releasing in its state somehow...

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they certainly did in so far that the game was clearly not ready and this post-launch disaster all but guaranteed.

That doesn't mean that the game's development wasn't a huge mess in and of itself and Bioware is likely to blame for that. But still, EA pushed for a release of a game that probably needed another year in the least. Or, which I find very hard to believe, Bioware was actually fine with releasing in its state somehow...

I can't lay blame for the messy developement of this game at Bioware's feet because I don't know how many times EA put their entire hand into the soup, or from how early on in developement they started doing that.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I can't lay blame for the messy developement of this game at Bioware's feet because I don't know how many times EA put their entire hand into the soup, or from how early on in developement they started doing that.
Yeah, everything about Anthem feels like a game that changed direction at least once during development and given what it seems to have changed into appears to be trend-chasing that definitely points towards it being an EA interference issue but I doubt we'll ever really know.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Sure, but by the exact same logic laying the blame at EA's feet is equally silly, and the only reason someone would do so is because that's what they want to be true.

The reality is that there's probably no way you could seperate out just one group of people involved with this project and say "these are the people who made the game bad". The failure is on both EA and BioWare.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but by the exact same logic laying the blame at EA's feet is equally silly
Not when you take into account that Bioware have a history of knowing how to make functional products. Balancing that with EA's history of excessive interference in the cooking of the soup makes it reasonable to place the blame on them.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Not when you take into account that Bioware have a history of knowing how to make functional products. Balancing that with EA's history of excessive interference in the cooking of the soup makes it reasonable to place the blame on them.
They have a history of making functional products... in a different genre.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have a history of making functional products... in a different genre.
And it probably wasn't their decision to chase this genre. It was probably EA's. They have a history of not caring about the strengths of a development team and forcing their hand this way. It's part of why EA has killed so many of the studios they purchased. Erego...

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the wierd part tho.. the stuff they got right is the new stuff, the stuff like story and RPG math its like they forgot what those things even are
It's hard to make story with a gameplay structure like Anthem's. It's not that they forgot. Story and gameplay are forever in a complicated dance and gameplay structure can irrevocably fuck over story in ways even experienced storytellers can't account for.

It's funny because in an interview they compared Anthem's story to FFXIV's.
This was probably Bioware's desperate cry for help

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, everything about Anthem feels like a game that changed direction at least once during development and given what it seems to have changed into appears to be trend-chasing that definitely points towards it being an EA interference issue but I doubt we'll ever really know.
it was always going to be a Destiny-styled game

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
And it probably wasn't their decision to chase this genre. It was probably EA's. They have a history of not caring about the strengths of a development team and forcing their hand this way. It's part of why EA has killed so many of the studios they purchased. Erego...
I mean, that's just baseless speculation that actively goes against what BioWare themselves are saying.

You're picking and choosing what "evidence" you want to believe in order to create the narrative that BioWare have nothing to do with Anthem's issues.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they plan to abandon this one as quickly as they did ME:A. I imagine they will patch in enough fixes and we will see this game around for at least another year, if not longer.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is a train wreck. Not only have I been soured on this game, but I'm not buying DA4 at release because of it, and that was previously a no look, day one buy for me. I just don't trust Bioware at all anymore after them shitting the bed with back to back games.

Really regret purchasing the digital version. I should ask MS for a refund.

I doubt you will get it, but it doesn't hurt to try. That's the biggest drawback to digital, if you regret it there is little recourse.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
DA2 was an excellent game that had less than a year of development time. Which is even crazier given the scope of its ambition. It gets really tiring seeing people shit on it like it's an incarnation of Big Rigs.
People shit on it because it played like crap and recycled content repeatedly to make up for how little was in the game. I agree, in context of how it was developed it's relatively impressive but that doesn't make it a better end product.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
I also read on the reddit that the lead producer Ben Irving on a livestream called the Legion of Dawn armor pack one of the most "generous offerings in video game history." This game is just comedy through and through.

that deserves its own thread, i mean it is the most generous offering in video game history. lmao

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy that this is all EA's fault because EA puts out games without this many problems in less development time.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
I'm starting to think Bioware isn't what it used to be. Maybe it's a result of EA, maybe it's not. But Bioware have created 2 hot messes of games back to back now. It will certainly make me think twice when considering Bioware products in the future.