• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
This reminds me of Curse of Osiris time in Destiny 2 except the game had a solid foundation to build on.

Yeah I kind of remember that.

I am wondering if the subreddit is going to go in the direction of the FO76 subreddit and the truly diehards will splinter off and form a casual subreddit. The "Hey I know this is buggy but I am a busy 30 something with kids and have limited time and just want to hear good things. Also stop being babies and whine all the time. It only costs $60 and isn't totally broken" casual subreddit.

Good times. Good times.

Edit: Also, the Fallout76 splinter group called themselves casuals and named their subreddit that.

Last edited:

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sounds like throwing a developer experienced in single player games into the development of a multipleyer only loot shooter just to chase money was not the best choice.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
At this point, given that Bioware has shown in the past that they have known how to make a functioning product, I'm more inclined to believe the fault lies at EA's feet for pretty much everything wrong with this game
Lack of content can maybe be blamed on EA, but the game is full of questionable designs that have nothing to do with MTX or anything elae a publisher might force on the devs. I doubt EA would go "here, use this method to calculate damage scaling".

Would love to see how many creative positions developers from Bioware's golden years are still there.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Andromeda ended up the way it did because they diverted everything to Anthem but Anthem has turned out to be kind of a mess too.

What the hell is going on with Bioware lately..

Greenlock

Oct 3, 2018
Someone making design decisions seems to be clearly lacking in judgement at bioware. They don't even seem to be taking into account basic behaviour of their playerbase.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Jesus Christ. Empty slots don't count as 0 power? How do you let this happen?!

I've enjoyed Anthem, but the constant mistakes and missteps are crazy.

Lmao!!!!!! How is that even programmed to be the case?? Wow
I'm sure it's obvious, but basically, power is calculated as a mean of equipped gear power. What SHOULD happen is that empty slots are calculated as zero power, to bring down the average. What's clearly happening here is that empty slots are just ignored, which has this effect.

Since there are support items above epic, it's currently better to unequip them than to have them at all.

Karamsoul

Oct 27, 2017
What a shit show. Even as a casual player, I became completely bored of the game. Stopped playing ever since the latest loot fiasco and threw Anthem up on Craigslist a few days ago for $40 OBO. Usually I'll get a text or 2 the same day about any game I post for sale on CL, but with Anthem - nothing. No text, phone call, or email. I think I'm stuck with it. -_-

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
Hear me out guys!

What if this game is Bioware trying to take down EA from the inside?!

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many post it'll take to see this.
Haha, that reminds me of "Actually, I really like that Destiny 1 has no LFG or matchmaking features, because I have to go on reddit to find people to play with and I've made so many friends!"

You can show your appreciation for a not-great game without having to defend every little shitty thing about it.
Is it really an edge case if the starting loadout doesn't have support items? That should be your base level test.
Considering you can't unequip a slot (players are doing this "trick" by creating a new loadout and not selecting Support gear), I wonder if they just struck it from the realm of possibility when testing. Embarrassing.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, that reminds me of "Actually, I really like that Destiny 1 has no LFG or matchmaking features, because I have to go on reddit to find people to play with and I've made so many friends!"

You can show your appreciation for a not-great game without having to defend every little shitty thing about it.

Side tracking but considering the ability of those in both Gambit Prime and The Reckoning I'm super fucking glad there's no matchmaking* for raids in Destiny

Expect matchmaking does exist via guided games and absolutely no one uses it because a group of 4 would rather find 2 people via an app than matchmaking 2 fucking morons with no mics and no experience and wipe 23 times in a 2 hour raid session

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, they probably shouldn't do this, because it really does make it appear like they want the players to beta test their game, haha.

BetaTester.jpg
Really now...wow. Game should have been delayed and beta tested more.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Really now...wow. Game should have been delayed and beta tested more.

Nah. You can have consumers beta test it for you AND pay into your subscription service or $60+. And even then... still defend your company like it was a blood relative a month after release and presumably longer.

It would be brilliant if it wasn't sad as hell.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Imagine being Bethesda and having your game get shit on nonstop for being a pathetic buggy mess (even more so than their games normally are) only to have Anthem come along and completely deflect essentially all negative coverage from you. What a stroke of luck.

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine being Bethesda and having your game get shit on nonstop for being a pathetic buggy mess (even more so than their games normally are) only to have Anthem come along and completely deflect essentially all negative coverage from you. What a stroke of luck.

Not sure if anyone is still buying or playing Fallout 76 though!

And when Todd Howard re-emerges in 2021 to promote Starfield, he'll probably get a lot of questions about Fallout 76.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if anyone is still buying or playing Fallout 76 though!

And when Todd Howard re-emerges in 2021 to promote Starfield, he'll probably get a lot of questions about Fallout 76.

"So Starfield uses a new engine right?"

"Why yes indeed it does, we've created a new engine called "Gamerbryox"

*Todd points to a sign, it's shoddy construction immediately betrays his ruse as the R and X fall off, revealing a truth more horrible than those experienced in the darkest chasms of man's immutable soul*

Feb 21, 2019
Yeah... I feel like the 4-tomb-wall was supposed to be much more than it turned out to be. Like, each tomb was supposed to be some unique dungeon/gameplay experience but they had to cut all that for time and instead made those achievement-type requirements to take up the missing time.
The fact that you unlock a tomb after grinding arbitrary stats and load into a 10x10 room with nothing in it but a little glowing casket to get 200 coins does not seem like it turned out how it was originally intended.
Just one of many examples.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
sounds like throwing a developer experienced in single player games into the development of a multipleyer only loot shooter just to chase money was not the best choice.
Especially when a sequel to another looter shooter was right around the corner and that said looter shooter literally does everything a billion times better than your looter shooter and has tons more content and a legit end game.

May 9, 2018
Especially when a sequel to another looter shooter was right around the corner and that said looter shooter literally does everything a billion times better than your looter shooter and has tons more content and a legit end game.
BioWare didn't plan for the software development lifecycle to be that long, and therefore they do not have any control about when its competitors release.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but that hardly reflects actual player numbers and churn. It's probably the closest in relativity we'll get though.
Oh I agree. Its just one metric that probably gives us a vague idea of the game's general popularity tho, even if its not going to tell us what the population is.

BioWare didn't plan for the software development lifecycle to be that long, and therefore they do not have any control about when its competitors release.
Of course not. That doesn't stop it from being incredibly problematic for them.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
True. But they could have looked at Destiny and The Division to get some feedback on what people actually do like in these types of games. There is literally not one thing other then the flying that Anthem does better then it's competition....and to be quite honest that's embarrassing.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, they should just offer the next big paid DLC for free to anyone who bought the game during the first 6 months. Assuming they get their shit together before then.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Anthem was delayed, and had over SIX YEARS to bake. EA can't be expected to give Bioware infinite time and money on any single project.

Their teams clearly aren't given the proper resources then. On top of all those botched games they have absolutely fucked the Star Wars IP and can't even get a game out. Two below average Battlefront games have been it since 2015.

Something is clearly very wrong with how they handle their business.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
So, this is a good thread to ask, as I don't feel like it's quite worth a thread on its own, so I'm gonna risk it getting completely burried and skipped past, but here's a question:

I have never really been that big on these loot games. It's not that I never played or enjoyed them, that'd be a lie. I played diablo 2 back in the day, I played borderlands games in recent decades. But, I was never super into it. I was basically jsut deep enough to understand why other people like it so much. It's gathering all the loot, that makes you stronger and builds you can make out of it. All sorta min-max funsies fro people that are into it.

So, with Anthem, I am starting to question that understanding. Cuz, what is even the point of the loot, if it doesn't actually make you stronger? If there's just super aggressive scaling that boosts me to be on the level with top dogs? If I were to buy anthem today, why would I bother grinding items if there's systems at every corner that ensure I don't actually need to, as I'd just get scaled up?

Now, it's easy to just chalk up this to Bioware fucking it up, but I just have to make sure... Is this kinda scaling common and bioware is just being really bad at ironing out the specifics? Or is this scaling mostly unique to Anthem and is just asign of utter misunderstanding of the genre by Bioware?
If it's the former, than... what is actually teh appeal of loot games, if not what I always thought it was? Is it literally just seeing numbers go up, even if they don't actually matter and affect anything? I always thought numbers needed to represent something tangible from gameplay standpoint to hook people,