• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
a1jn1lc5afo41.jpg

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Wasn't it confirmed at the announcement (or at least soon after) that it would follow Boba Fett? I didn't think this was a rumor or needed confirming.

EDIT: My mistake, it was revealed after it was cancelled by Jason Schreier.

Oct 27, 2017
This game always looked aggressively generic and unimaginative. I never got the hype aside form people who wanted a Star Wars skinned Uncharted copy

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Um, jschreier already revealed this in his book long ago. It didn't start as a Boba game, it was a wholly original character. But then Lucas liked what he saw of the game and mandated the character be Boba so they had to change the narrative they were forming to focus on that.

I have a suspicion that the real reason Lucas mandated the change was to further prop up the valuation of Lucasfilm when he went to Disney to discuss selling. A Boba Fett game would look more valuable to Disney suits than random Bounty Hunter dude. But, that's just my suspicion. I believe many of his actions at this time were designed to prop up his company's value so he could show Disney everything they had in the works even if he never planned to actually get them made.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Why dig this game up after all this time? Just to hurt us all?

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Um, jschreier already revealed this in his book long ago. It didn't start as a Boba game, it was a wholly original character. But then Lucas liked what he saw of the game and mandated the character be Boba so they had to change the narrative they were forming to focus on that.

I have a suspicion that the real reason Lucas mandated the change was to further prop up the valuation of Lucasfilm when he went to Disney to discuss selling. A Boba Fett game would look more valuable to Disney suits than random Bounty Hunter dude. But, that's just my suspicion. I believe many of his actions at this time were designed to prop up his company's value so he could show Disney everything they had in the works even if he never planned to actually get them made.

That's a reasonable theory. Although management of Lucasarts, and Lucas' handling of game development, was generally a shit show.

Remember the stories about Red Fly's cancelled Darth Maul game?

Prototyping began on October 9, 2010 under the internal codename "Damage." LucasArts' working title was simply "Maul." Unbeknownst to Red Fly, Lucasfilm had big plans for the red and black tattooed Sith Lord within the Clone Wars animated show.

LucasArts didn't provide much direction to Red Fly at the time, but promised that key talent would be brought into the fold to help with the Star Wars lore and general direction of the fiction. Only odd little Darth Maul tidbits were discussed with Red Fly.

"We were told Maul survived his encounter with Obi-Wan Kenobi in The Phantom Menace," says a former Red Fly team member who wishes to remain nameless. "We fashioned robotic legs on Maul after being told he had them. Then we were told he had a brother named Savage Opress. He was supposedly green. Again, we were not told of the Clone Wars storyline at this time."

The next day, Red Fly finally met with George Lucas, but not before being told how to talk to him. Our source says they were told to never say "No" to him, or to say, "Yeah, that will be easy." They were also told not to mention Force Unleashed's protagonist, Starkiller. If he's referred to by George, it will be "that guy." The most important rule, much like not feeding a Mogwai after midnight, was "Don't tell George how the Force works."

Red Fly's representatives arrived at the meeting point early the next day, only to find LucasArts employees rushing Force Unleashed artwork out of the conference room, and replacing it with other Star Wars artworks, including the placement of Sideshow Collectibles statues of Darth Maul and Darth Talon to the table.
A friendly George Lucas entered the room and was eager to hear the pitch from Red Fly's creatives. "Before they could finish their spiel, Lucas cut them off, stood up, walked over to the statues, rotated them to be facing the same direction, pushed them together, and said 'They're friends!'" adds the source. "He wanted these characters to be friends, and to play off of each other. He talked about the show Burn Notice as a reference point. He likened Darth Maul to Sonny from The Godfather, and he likened Darth Talon to Lauren Bacall. He actually did an impersonation of her. It was supposedly the weirdest impersonation of a '40s actress going, 'Don't you know how to whistle? Put your lips together and blow.'"
The problem with the idea of Maul and Talon teaming up for a buddy cop-like experience was that they were separated by over 170 years of Star Wars fiction – as ridiculous of an idea as Frédéric Chopin forming a band with Dave Grohl. When this vast time divide was brought up to Lucas' attention, he brushed off the notion of it not working, and said that it could instead be a descendant of Darth Maul or a clone of him.

An ex-Red Fly employee says Lucas focused heavily on the player dictating the narrative. "He wanted the kind of experience where the player could tell the game what type of story they wanted," he said. "It wasn't so much choose-your-own-adventure; it was more of a player being able to act as director, letting the game still respond and react to the player's wishes and surprising the player with new experiences that maybe they didn't expect. Clearly this was not the forward stealth game for Darth Maul anymore."
The Red Fly team left the meeting, which ran for roughly three hours, dumbfounded by the new direction. They spent a few more days at LucasArts' campus working closely with its team to determine how to get this new idea to work.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Actually might have turned this into a cool twist. Like you played Boba Fetts origin without even knowing it until halfway through.Though also no way they would have marketed a Boba Fett game without making clear that it's a Boba Fett game.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This game had nothing to do with EA. It was internaly developed at LucasArts.
EA has nothing to do with this game lmao

EA canceled the game after the Disney buyout iirc. The team met with EA to pitch it to them and show how far along they were only for EA to stop them and be like, "no you don't understand this meeting is about potentially getting your people on our stuff."

Oct 26, 2017
EA canceled the game after the Disney buyout iirc. The team met with EA to pitch it to them and show how far along they were only for EA to stop them and be like, "no you don't understand this meeting is about potentially getting your people on our stuff."

What?

Disney terminated the development of the game when they closed LucasArts and laid-off all the people in the studio
web.archive.org

Disney Shuts Down LucasArts, Cancels Star Wars 1313 And Star Wars: First Assault

Disney has laid off the staff of LucasArts and cancelled all current projects.

Staff were informed of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source. Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects—Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313—were cancelled. Disney will still use the LucasArts name to license games, but the studio is no more.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," LucasArts parent company LucasFilm said in a statement. "As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017

This is a good theory, but Lucas is pretty famous for changing stuff from other Star Wars projects on a whim. Aside from the Red Fly example above, there are other stories from the Expanded Universe of books where Lucas wanders in and casually makes a decision that results in plans being rewritten entirely.

The most famous example -- spoiler-tagging a 20 year old series of books here because idk just because:
The New Jedi Order books, a series of 20-ish novels, revolve around the next generation of Jedi, led by Han and Leia's three kids: Jacen, Jaina and Anakin. Anakin is set up to be the leading hero going forward, spurred on by his brother Jacen's dramatic death... until Lucas walked in and said there can't be two Anakins, so he should be killed off instead of Jacen.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cool. Boba Fett isn't really a character I care about. I mean, he doesn't do anything... he's just there. Something in the same vein could be cool, but go with Pedro Pascal as the Mandalorian instead.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Can't believe how much Disney fucked over Star Wars. They couldn't get the movies right. They messed things up really bad on the game side. They threw out all of the existing books and have failed to put out anything interesting in their place. Utterly shameful.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I guess the scrip turned into The Mandalorian what's with the series story is basically a video game.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017