• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Last edited:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I can confirm a journalist I follow also travelled recently to Frankfurt and played a very anticipated game. No idea if it's TotK but it's possible.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
BotW previews got my hype through the roof. I remember, in particular, this part from GameXplain:

You're going to want to remember where you were, what you were doing in your life, when you played Breath of the Wild for the first time. It is that good.

Let's see what happens with TotK.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
BOTW's previews were just "fuck around on the great plateau" so I don't expect these to be very spoilery. Probably just a tutorial area with one or two mid game things thrown in so they can make interesting weapons/vehicles.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I doubt we get much new material here, mostly people fucking around on the great plateau equivalent, but we may at least see some interesting fusions or new enemies or something

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW's previews were just "fuck around on the great plateau" so I don't expect these to be very spoilery. Probably just a tutorial area with one or two mid game things thrown in so they can make interesting weapons/vehicles.
Spoilery, no. Will still give a look at performance, menu's, new fuse options, structure of the game possibly and much more.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
sounds about right tbh, I really don't expect this to be spoliery so I'm not too worried in that department

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Normally I'd want to go in blind but I'm strangely interested in every last detail from the previews.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a preview cycle has ever been needed less for any game, but sure, I'll read some impressions.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I'd love to read all the previews, if this is true.

I doubt they'll spoil anything. I just want to know honest impressions and what to expect.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
BotW previews got my hype through the roof. I remember, in particular, this part from GameXplain:

You're going to want to remember where you were, what you were doing in your life, when you played Breath of the Wild for the first time. It is that good.

Let's see what happens with TotK.

100% remember this. When I heard that.. my hype just got to a completely new level.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess Xenoblade 3's DLC I have much time in the sun, but I'm here for the Zelda impressions if this is true.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Hey, how do you quickly get back up if you accidentally fall off a sky island seems like a good question.

How's the performance?

Game could definitely use a preview to answer these.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome awesome awesome. There's the Great Plateau preview event. Now we just need Treehouse to repeat history.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Going to get harder and harder to not get spoiled. I've only watched the trailers and been putting most Zelda threads on ignore to avoid the temptation of entering them. Haha

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for it. Weirdly with how big and open this game is I'm not too worried about spoilers. Too much hype anyway.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
How many days do reviewers get these giant games before they release the review?

Even for a pro I would imagine it would take at least 30-40 hours to beat something like this. Even a week seems like you would have to rush to get that review out.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
How many days do reviewers get these giant games before they release the review?

Even for a pro I would imagine it would take at least 30-40 hours to beat something like this. Even a week seems like you would have to rush to get that review out.

Former games journo here: Most of the time, if you get a week with *any* game, that's a luxury. And these days there are literally hundreds of more games out than there used to be when I was reviewing.

The turnover required to get an article out can be crazy, and I don't miss it. That's why I massively respect outlets that don't push a review out on day of release for maximum clicks/engagement retention.

It partly depends on the outlet and publisher/developer, but with a game like Zelda, I imagine code won't come in especially early.

Clint

Oct 25, 2017
I knew of some journalist traveling overseas to see a game, but I was secretly hoping it was GTA 6.

I was trying to think what would be big enough to entice journalists to travel that distance like it was the early 00's in the game industry while at the same time being too nervous to stream/do an online presentation and GTA 6 was all I could come up with.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Former games journo here: Most of the time, if you get a week with *any* game, that's a luxury. And these days there are literally hundreds of more games out than there used to be when I was reviewing.

The turnover required to get an article out can be crazy, and I don't miss it. That's why I massively respect outlets that don't push a review out on day of release for maximum clicks/engagement retention.

It partly depends on the outlet and publisher/developer, but with a game like Zelda, I imagine code won't come in especially early.
Yeah that doesn't sound fun at all with the size of games these days.

If you were reviewing Mega Man 2 that could be done in a day and you could spend some time on the review and getting your pictures together.

Now with these kinds of games being many dozens of hours minimum that seems like so much work. And most reviews are videos so in addition you have to capture footage and then get in front of a camera.

That makes the backlash against reviews that don't line up with people's preconceived notions and console wars even shittier (and thats pretty shitty on its own).

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Yeah that doesn't sound fun at all with the size of games these days.

If you were reviewing Mega Man 2 that could be done in a day and you could spend some time on the review and getting your pictures together.

Now with these kinds of games being many dozens of hours minimum that seems like so much work. And most reviews are videos so in addition you have to capture footage and then get in front of a camera.

That makes the backlash against reviews that don't line up with people's preconceived notions and console wars even shittier (and thats pretty shitty on its own).

God, yeah, games these days clocking 40 to 60 hours for base content is a crazy large task. And it's exactly like you say, video content is also a factor, so you have to do two versions of the content (at best/most efficient, you're stripping down your written piece into a digestible, shorter video one, which is still a decent amount of work when you factor in editing, asset sourcing - don't get me started on trying to get decent and timely b-roll footage from some places - structure, considering any keyword placement and other factors).

All for someone to start screaming that you're "wrong" and "biased".

Some big games were fun to review, others just made me sweat bullets, mostly for time-based reasons. And that was before social media. I've nothing but love and admiration for the peeps who do it these days.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Performance?
Underground loading?
How to recover if you fall off an island?
New enemies?

Performance? - Definitely going to have post patch stuff like BOTW. Way too big of a game on Switch(or any platform) to not have drops in FPS.
Underground loading? - Seems like there will be no loading screens.
How to recover if you fall off an island? - The gameplay trailer showed this, but there maybe other ways
New enemies? - artbook leaks showed this, and we saw examples in the trailer.