• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Lets say they shut this subreddit down what is to stop them from starting another dickless assholes thread and just migrate there?
even if they to that, the community will be far smaller than before, and the new subreddit will be bannable from the get go.

when subreddit like fatpeoplehate and coontown where shut down the problem didn't completely went away, but it was far more easy to manage.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Lets say they shut this subreddit down what is to stop them from starting another dickless assholes thread and just migrate there?

One thing reddit does do well is when subreddits are banned, they go hard on banning subreddits created as mirrors. So, if TD was banned and someone created TD2, that would be banned as well. In this case because of political considerations they may allow another community, but I think the userbase within that community is so toxic that no matter what they will not be able to abide by the sitewide content policy.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
even if they to that, the community will be far smaller than before, and the new subreddit will be bannable from the get go.

when subreddit like fatpeoplehate and coontown where shut down the problem didn't completely went away, but it was far more easy to manage.
One thing reddit does do well is when subreddits are banned, they go hard on banning subreddits created as mirrors. So, if TD was banned and someone created TD2, that would be banned as well. In this case because of political considerations they may allow another community, but I think the userbase within that community is so toxic that no matter what they will not be able to abide by the sitewide content policy.
I didn't know that.

Well that would be nice if they had to go back to being shitty on their own again.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's not gone nuclear until it's actually wiped from existence imo.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Reddit is decent at subreddit whack-a-mole after banning a specific sort of sub. It's basically impossible for Qanons to find a home on reddit anymore, and they even get laughed out of Conspiracy other similar reddits. Deplatforming has always worked better in execution than theory, and it's nice when nazis get silenced and they filter into their own quarantine echo chambers like Gab or Voat that rarely pull in "normies" since they're already so extreme.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
should've just shut it down long ago.

i don't support trump (not even american) and don't think anybody's political views should be suppressed but that place is a toxic shithole. reddit should've stepped in long before now.

let them go to their "back up site" i remember when a group created Voat.... hope the same happens to them. if they wanna spew hate then they can fuck off somewhere else.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah their stock is down now. Their quarterly earnings report was quite strong though. I personally am quite positive on them long term.
Yeah they have beat estimates 3 quarters in a row. I forgot I owned like 22 shares already lmao. I just buy and forget stock. I'm gonna buy some more today.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I think the most annoying thing is that Reddit has banned a LOT of other subreddits that we could consider way less dangerous than the Donald (I know of one to watch soccer streams that was shut down) without any though but this obviously racist subreddit somehow got a pass all this time.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In before someone confuses the First Amendment right with the right to tell private businesses what to do.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
In before someone confuses the First Amendment right with the right to tell private businesses what to do.

This is even more fitting as the Supreme Court just reaffirmed this today: https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/27/google-prageru-appeal/

Prageru got slapped down by the SC as they were trying to argue that Youtube removing their videos or ads was against their first amendment rights. SC said "That's not what that means, stupid."

Edit: Basically, every time one of these conversations or complaints come up, this quote from the SC should be pasted in bold: "The Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment prohibits the government -- not a private party -- from abridging speech."

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing. But the point of deplatforming in this way is that those scumbags actually have to go through the effort of migrating and building the same community. It's forcing them to start from zero and along that road both resources and former die hard members will be lost.

Rebuilding a community like The_Donald with the same reach and population isn't as simple as it sounds. They and a lot of alt-right, bigoted communities get to this point because companies like Reddit hesitate to intervene giving them the chance to establish roots and court outsiders to bolster their ranks. To damage the community, you make them constantly readjust and lose former footholds they had previously.

Bigots in real life have used these exact same strategies to destabilize marginalized communities. Deplatforming in this way gives them a taste of their own medicine.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
They'll get bored of doing that and fuck off soon enough if that happens, it's not a big deal.
Agreed. They already get off on trying to poison other subreddits anyway. Trolling people they despise for no reason is their pastime after all. The key is that mods and Reddit proper have to respond swiftly and harshly when they do pop up. Reddit shouldn't be lazy about this and believe that taking down their subreddit will wipe them from Reddit completely.