• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
TheAbsolution

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
hahaha.

Real talk: the most proactive social network that never gets talked about is Pinterest. They out there doing the lord's work on this front, shadow banning all kinds of hateful content, ridiculous anti-vax type content, etc. If you ever go to any Pinterest related event (something I've done for work), upon sign up you're given a slew of pronoun options to choose from after entering your name. I don't mean just the they / them / their variety.... ve / ver / vis; xe / xem /xir; per / per /pers; ze (zie) / hir / hir.

I literally learned about gender neutral pronouns from a social network that is actively trying to be inclusive and minimize hate. Kind of wild.
Think about the type of people that use Pinterest and you have your answer as to why they never get any ire for the decisions that they make and why their user base is seemingly OK with it.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Think about the type of people that use Pinterest and you have your answer as to why they never get any ire for the decisions that they make and why their user base is seemingly OK with it.

I'm genuinely not sure what you mean by "the type of people that use it." I think it has more to do with how they intentionally constrain the actual social aspect of it, despite the ability to leave comments, DM, etc. It's more about self-discovery, self-improvement, etc. I still appreciate them for how they intentionally manage their ecosystem and help keep it incredibly positive.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
"We're not a cult! We just have an enormous subreddit and we traverse the internet in our millions, spreading the gospel of our lord and savior!"

seriously though, this isn't even only directed at trumpers. If you find yourself being a "fan" of a politician, defending them from any criticism, creating a personal identity around them (ie having them as your avi, owning multiple clothing items with their face, multiple bumper stickers, posters,).........

Stop and look at yourself.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
They might want to look at /Conspiracy while they're at it. I was browsing earlier this week and every other threads were full of comments about jews and the holocaust being a hoax. Par for the course for conspiracy theorists, but I was still surprised by how brazen it was.

OP
OP
TheAbsolution

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm genuinely not sure what you mean by "the type of people that use it." I think it has more to do with how they intentionally constrain the actual social aspect of it, despite the ability to leave comments, DM, etc. It's more about self-discovery, self-improvement, etc. I still appreciate them for how they intentionally manage their ecosystem and help keep it incredibly positive.
I'm sorry, I should've been more clear but I meant more the demographics of users of Pinterest. That wasn't meant as a dig against people that do use it, just more of a general observation. You're right that app design helps limit this as well of course.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading another Reddit thread about TD ages ago that basically said that the amount of money that it generated for Reddit through people on that sub giving each other Reddit Gold for their shitty posts was the reason they never took action against it.

I guess that grift finally ended so they're having to step in now.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
This requires Flame Hyenard levels of burning it to the ground 🔥🔥🔥

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
they've wiped out racist hellholes before though?
I imagine that directly confronting the freaking president of the united states isn't an easy decision for an American company, especially when said president is a clinically insane and unpredictable person

They should definitely ban the subreddit, and the longer they take the worse it's going to be when they finally do it, but I can sorta understand the hesitation.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Reddit will remain spineless, the damage is done, they helped a racist spread his propaganda for years now, and harbored his hateful minions for profit.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
They've also started warning accounts for upvoting "problematic" content. No idea what that means since they don't tell you which posts.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I read "biggest Pro-Trump subreddit" as "biggest Pro-Trump bullshit".

Strange. I have an inkling of why I'd read it that way, but I can't put my finger on it.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
The sooner those racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted cunts are gone, the better. Let them congregate on their own little website that is harder to find and more difficult to spread.

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
1) They haven't actually banned it yet.
2) They should have banned it literally years ago, this is too little too late.
3) Taking this approach (of gradual dismantling) is giving them time to co-ordinate resettlement on other websites, which is effectively throwing a bone to their toxic community.

Fuck that subreddit, and fuck the Reddit management who have been so hospitable to its venom.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I love Reddit (a rare statement in this forum), but this has taken way too long and doesn't go far enough. Shut that subreddit down.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Remember when a reddit admin admitted to editing a user's comment on that hell hole, hence legitimizing their persecution complex? Actually fuck you for that, Spez. Goddamn moron without anything resembling a spine.

You directly contributed to that sub gaining supporters with that stunt.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
I read it as: The majority of Pinterest users and the vast majority of users contributing with pins, are women.
And even if that reading is incorrect, it's still a fact, and one which I'm pretty sure contributes to their stance on these things.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

If you want some fun reading and people just utterly shitting on T_D. ;)
This TD tool's comment cracked me up
Ever noticed that leftist ideas can only work in heavily moderated/censored environments? Weird how that works!
That is literally a 1:1 description of TD, which instantly banned anyone who showed even the slightest dissent from mindless praise of Trump. I believe it was a little game on reddit for people to go on there and try to see how innocuous a post they could make and still get banned for.

Accusations by right wingers are confessions. Every time, down to the smallest detail.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
That's why you dont bite the hand that feeds you. After the dumbfucks demanding the moss he vetted, it was only a matter of time. What an idiotic, self destructive path to take.

Fitting, really.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
they are threatening that cesspool with kids gloves since the beginning, reddit admins are absolute scum.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Their biggest excuse for not getting rid of T_D was that the people there would just go to other subreddits so it's easier to keep everyone contained in there.

No we'll see that that excuse is bullshit. Other subreddits are moderated and very few will allow their shit.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Their biggest excuse for not getting rid of T_D was that the people there would just go to other subreddits so it's easier to keep everyone contained in there.

No we'll see that that excuse is bullshit. Other subreddits are moderated and very few will allow their shit.
I think the idea is that the Reddit leadership would rather slowly dismantle T_D, shuttering the community all at once would trigger a flood of users to pour out and overwhelm adjacent communities by sheer volume alone. It's controversial but I see the merits behind their approach, even if the continued existence of that abhorrent place angers me.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apart from the money obviously I've kinda thought the authorities might like it to remain open so they can track people better. A bit of a self fulfilling prophecy left unchecked so probably not but crossed my mind, you would want to know were the dangerous scum are however you don't want to cultivate it either so I don't know if Reddit have any pressure there.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, "going nuclear" by giving them another chance and putting them on TRIPLE secret probation.

B. Spaceman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
And chapotraphouse got quarantined for saying that slave owners deserved to die...

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the idea is that the Reddit leadership would rather slowly dismantle T_D, shuttering the community all at once would trigger a flood of users to pour out and overwhelm adjacent communities by sheer volume alone. It's controversial but I see the merits behind their approach, even if the continued existence of that abhorrent place angers me.

A sudden banning would also probably cause a ton of controversy. I can even imagine Trump attacking Reddit which would be less than fun. Slowly trying to strangle the community will make it easier when they eventually ban them, and also means they have an overwhelming amount of evidence of reports and actions they can use as reasoning for the ban.

It's a shitty situation to deal with. I don't envy the reddit admins.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This doesn't seem like they are interested in banning it. Sounds like they're giving them options to stay active without a ban.

It should be banned, but reddit is still letting it stay afloat.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
it is because they don't want to be remembered as the people who shut down the US president subreddit.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Go over there and look at the state of the sub, definitely not business as usual. A bunch of bots upvoting pictures of the American Flag and the constitution "to get banned".
A bunch of shitposting memes mocking the "shill mods" and wrong think? I've only been there a hand full of times, but it seems like business as usual to me.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Go over there and look at the state of the sub, definitely not business as usual. A bunch of bots upvoting pictures of the American Flag and the constitution "to get banned".

They're always mental so this is normal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see T_D taken out of quarantine because the new mods are "vetted". Reddit is literally bending over backwards to give them the platform, going as far as vetting and hiring mods on their behalf for a sub that has no revenue streams. If they wanted T_D gone they'd just do it, but they want it to stay.

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it is because they don't want to be remembered as the people who shut down the US president subreddit.
Also this, banning that subreddit entirely would put this in the crosshairs of the greater mass media in a way that the current events can't compare. I'd imagine the backlash from that being severe for adjacent communities and otherwise divisive but otherwise civil political subreddits. Being overwhelmed by sheer traffic volume can shutter entire communities or leave them in a state that's beyond repair, the excellent r/neutralpolitics learned this the hard way the first time they allowed their content to make it onto r/All.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
hahaha.

Real talk: the most proactive social network that never gets talked about is Pinterest. They out there doing the lord's work on this front, shadow banning all kinds of hateful content, ridiculous anti-vax type content, etc. If you ever go to any Pinterest related event (something I've done for work), upon sign up you're given a slew of pronoun options to choose from after entering your name. I don't mean just the they / them / their variety.... ve / ver / vis; xe / xem /xir; per / per /pers; ze (zie) / hir / hir.

I literally learned about gender neutral pronouns from a social network that is actively trying to be inclusive and minimize hate. Kind of wild.
you just reminded me I should check out their stock price. they are doing shit right.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I remember reading another Reddit thread about TD ages ago that basically said that the amount of money that it generated for Reddit through people on that sub giving each other Reddit Gold for their shitty posts was the reason they never took action against it.
As a quarantined sub, they actually cannot have any ads or give reddit awards. Even when they weren't, they actively encouraged people not to do it to not give reddit money.
And chapotraphouse got quarantined for saying that slave owners deserved to die...
Chapo is in no way innocent, the amount of violent content on that subreddit was staggering, I've also been told there were a lot of issues with their users brigading other communities.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Lets say they shut this subreddit down what is to stop them from starting another dickless assholes thread and just migrate there?