• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pronounced "Kee-K" in spanish not even close to the english pronunciation.

I think the posts in the OP describe it being pronounced like "Key Key," correct.

That being said, Sony doesn't know that, and all they see is a username with "Kike" in it. They wouldn't know how it's pronounced.

Thank you both. I was more addressing some posters who said if you come to Latin America you better be prepared to hear it. Which confused me haha.

The compromise would be for Sony to prevent usernames containing "kike" from being registered and for people who realllly need that name to spell it differently. Kee-kay or quique or whatever. There's no law that you're entitled to your exact name on a service like this.

I would hope there is a banned list as it is. And I do agree with this. Don't allow it and then take it away.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I think the posts in the OP describe it being pronounced like "Key Key," correct.

That being said, Sony doesn't know that, and all they see is a username with "Kike" in it. They wouldn't know how it's pronounced.

Sony US maybe, but Sony Mexico or Sony Spain knows of course

Exactly. He did something else. I mean the person has an email that appears to say "[email protected]". That's the Mexican President (yes, the same one that allegedly takes bribes from the Sinaloa Cartel). I mean, that's seems like trolling to me.

Mmm you gotta be kidding, right?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No its a cigarette, a cigarette!

But yea, being locked out of your digital games is pretty absurd, no matter the nature of the ban. Should let him change his name.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nope, but maybe when they register to global services like PSN, they shouldn't use that particular nickname - Just like I'll try not to use words or names I know can be offensive to other people? That's part of operating in a global landscape.
You can't possibly believe that a person should google their name to see if means something offensive in other languages before they sign up for something. It's not a reasonable thing to ask.

I'm all for banning offensive words, but only if you can confirm there's intent to offend in the first place.

Now, if the guy's account was for the US/UK or any other English store, yeah, I get it.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
What? That's looks like "[email protected]".

If I used "[email protected]" on Xbox Live...would I be taken seriously?
I don't think it does? But I might have holes for eyes or be missing a joke?..
enriquepero.png

That's not even an "a" after the "r".
Do you think only one person per country should be named Enrique and have a family name starting with Per[o...]?

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
The Americanization of the PlayStation branch of Sony is a bit worrying. Japanese devs having to go to the American branch for content approval, Forbidding Mexican nicknames. Instagram is usually hard on the hammer too, but Dodgers Utility man is allowed to call himself Kike there. https://www.instagram.com/kikehndez/?hl=en

Cultural Sensitivity is a thing and I think because PlayStation is a global brand it something that they have to consider . It is something every person should think about regardless of their place in the world

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
You can't possibly believe that a person should google their name to see if means something offensive in other languages before they sign up for something. It's not a reasonable thing to ask.

I'm all for banning offensive words, but only if you can confirm there's intent to offend in the first place.

Now, if the guy's account was for the US/UK or any other English store, yeah, I get it.
I think PSN (a global service, in which you can find yourself playing with people from various different backgrounds) should let the user know it's an offensive word, and not let you choose that word in your nickname.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
This can work from both sides. There are words in English which sound like slurs in other languages. Hundreds of them, I'm sure. Why do you get to decide that English language or, by extension, American culture (for example the word fags in the UK) is how the rest of the world should be moderating itself? I think here we're all for moving forward, but you don't get to decide that your culture/language is the only way to go when it comes to what words are okay and are not.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

(EDIT: evidently it's pronounced "key-k")

It's "key-KE" like a hard E.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

the phone number from the third edit

EDIT 3: been on the phone with few reps and superiors. None want to help me. I was going to try my luck with chat, they won't even let me request a chat, all it says is:

"Back again so soon? Unfortunately, our Chat support has not been effective for you. If you would like to try our phone support, please call (800) 345-7669. Monday through Friday, 6AM - 6PM PST"

is the phone number for US / canada

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I would imagine that Sony branches worldwide would flag various racial, ethnic and religious slurs and look for usernames with those slurs. Although I might just be giving Sony too much credit, lol

Yes, I'm sure Sony is banning US users from using slurs in other languages as their name as well...-.-

Oct 25, 2017

When it's usernames appearing in text, intent is irrelevant. There's no way for the person reading it to know the intent nor is there any way for the platform holder to know.

I say this as someone who believes that occasionally people discount intent a little too much in order to call people out on mildly offensive shit. But in text there's just no way to sort that out, so I'm fine with a blanket ban. PSN is a global community and every member needs to just remember that, that sometimes minor inconveniences may befall them for the good of the larger (and more diverse) group.

That sounds like a good compromise. But banning the dude after the fact seems unnecessarily harsh.
Banning the dude is totally ridiculous and exposes, again, the extreme weakness of the PSN infrastructure, which I am assuming is a big part of the reason PSN customer support is so fucking impotent to help with issues like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
sony really needs to reconsider how permanent bans are carried out

a misunderstanding like this should not lock someone out of their purchases for life, and fixing it should take just a few phone calls

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, I cant really say I blame sony on this one. If the user emails them and explains how it was a misunderstanding, they should unban the account and let him change his username.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
It's Sony's fault for letting him create a name like that in the first place. They're basically blaming him for their own mistake, which is beyond ridiculous. It'd be really sad if the guy doesn't get his account back. I wish him the best of luck.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you get to decide that English language or, by extension, American culture (for example the word fags in the UK) is how the rest of the world should be moderating itself?

I guarantee you a british user who wanted to use the gamertag fagsmoker or any variant thereof would have it blocked on any service that has any form of name vetting

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's spelt the same. How am I supposed to know if it's the slur or the nickname?
Is this your first run-in with multi culturalism? As a hispanic Ive dealt with it my whole life.

What I learned that it's not always about you and that context matters.

If you're asking that a common name in my culture be banned from being used as a name because it offends your sensibilities then the one who has a problem with respect is you. Its use as a name is much more common than its use as a slur.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally on the "ban the word before it's created" btw.

ForboJack

Oct 30, 2017
Nipawomsett
Forcing him to change his username would be appropriate I guess. It's Sonys platform and they decide which names are ok and which not. But locking him out of his content at least a huge dick move. This shows perfectly how we don't own anything that is connected to an account. PSN, Steam, Xbox live etc. is not selling you stuff. You just buy a license to use their stuff which can be revoked at any time. He should really ask a lawyer or someone else with a legal background to see if this is illegal where he's from.

Ceiphied

Oct 27, 2017
Amazingly xenophobic how many in the ERA-base think its okay to just ban a spanish name. Ask them all to change their names in documents too, how dare them have a perfectly normal and common name that has zero negative connotation.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
This can work from both sides. There are words in English which sound like slurs in other languages. Hundreds of them, I'm sure. Why do you get to decide that English language or, by extension, American culture (for example the word fags in the UK) is how the rest of the world should be moderating itself? I think here we're all for moving forward, but you don't get to decide that your culture/language is the only way to go when it comes to what words are okay and are not.

Yeah people shouldn't have the word 'fag' in their name either.

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory false equivalence regarding antisemetism, history of similar infractions.
I want you to realize that the word is offensive to a global audience in a world of ever rising anti-semitism. The fact that it's a name in one place shouldn't take precedent over a hate term. Sorry about your loss.

With all respect, bullshit. Kike is not offensive in any latinamerican country, or Spain for the case (the countries I lived in or know, at least).
Just did a quick google, see:
Randy is a complete normal american nickname right? Well, its an slang to call prostitutes in India. Should Sony start banning Randy-like user names? mmm.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
No. But why does your quoted image look different than the OP screenshot?
Because the email appears at two place in the screenshot.
Once at the top, in the receiver entry, and once in the corpse of the mail when they mention his sign-in.
Here are the two:

He could very well be named Enrique Percival based on the images. That's definitely not an "a" that follows the "r".
You are totally derailling this topic and yes, dare I say, you should be checking your eyes (or the way you use them).

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Is this your first run-in with multi culturalism? As a hispanic Ive dealt with it my whole life.

What I learned that it's not always about you and that context matters.

If you're asking that a common name in my culture be banned from being used as a name because it offends your sensibilities then the one who has a problem with respect is you. Its use as a name is much more common than its use as a slur.
Not to me. And part of being multi cultural is understanding that kike is one of the most offensive terms used against Jewish people and most of us will never be able to view it neutrally.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I guarantee you a british user who wanted to use the gamertag fagsmoker or any variant thereof would have it blocked on any service that has any form of name vetting
Absolutely, and even here in the UK that word is relatively well understood, predominantly through exposure to American media. I guarantee you there are old Yorkshire farmers living all around me who have no idea about the American connotations of that word. The world is americanising, absolutely, but I'm certainly not going to go around thinking that's the right way to be. I live in England, but I'm Latin American, and the way we use certain words or sounds in our mother tongue, Spanish, isn't less important than the way you use those sounds in English.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
With all respect, bullshit. Kike is not offensive in any latinamerican country, or Spain for the case (the countries I lived in or know, at least).
Just did a quick google, see:
Randy is a complete normal american nickname right? Well, its an slang to call prostitutes in India. Should Sony start banning Randy-like user names? mmm.

All those shootings and hate crimes against Randys.

OP
OP
Nintendo

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Because the email appears at two place in the screenshot.
Once at the top, in the receiver entry, and once in the corpse of the mail when they mention his sign-in.
Here are the two:

He could very well be named Enrique Percival based on the images. That's definitely not an "a" that follows the "r".
You are totally derailling this topic and yes, dare I say, you should be checking your eyes (or the way you use them).

The bottom image, which is the OP screenshot, seems awfully close to "[email protected]". That seems to be the official reply from Sony.

Okay I found his twitter. His name is Enrique Perez. Stop this now. It's an "r".

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm sorry OP, that customer service is unacceptable. Hope you get it figured out.

Off topic: can anybody explain why aegis is sometimes not accepted in video games?

Status
Not open for further replies.